PDA

View Full Version : Gordon, McGuire, Koch etc on Fox now

Webby
02-06-2015, 09:32 PM
Round table. Should be interesting.

azabob
02-06-2015, 09:35 PM
I love listening to etc! Their ideas are the best!

Webby
02-06-2015, 09:46 PM
I love listening to etc! Their ideas are the best!

Yeah, sorry, Pridham from Swans is "Mr Etc"!

azabob
02-06-2015, 09:54 PM
Well i take that back then - his ideas suck.

I get the feeling Gordon could be in for a frustrating night.

Webby
02-06-2015, 10:08 PM
Gordon's doing well. Taking on Eddie, but giving Pridham a bit of a whack for pointing out that he was at the Presidents' meeting in 1994 to decide the future of the Swans (ie to bail out or not bail out) and it was then Collingwood president, Allan McAllister, who cast the deciding vote to save them.

So he's working the room nicely..... (Or he worked the room... Think it's taped!)

Now onto the Wheeler sacking..

bulldogtragic
02-06-2015, 10:10 PM
Gordo sounds almost regretful on sacking Wheels.

azabob
02-06-2015, 10:13 PM
How is the Wheeler sacking relevant?

Webby
02-06-2015, 10:16 PM

Issue of coach treatment & sackings in the industry came up. Thus the question from Whateley.

bulldogtragic
02-06-2015, 10:17 PM

Asking how presidents deal with the decision to take the most drastic action, Ie. sacking a coach.

Gordo just shot a legal bazooka at the AFL. Words to the effect of 'if the AFL use the three strikes policy to take away the right of a player to play because of illicit drug taking then the AFL would most likely be sued and they would most likely lose the case'.

Webby
02-06-2015, 10:40 PM
Koch and McGuire just drip egotism. Eddie tends to talk over people. Pridham was pisspoor in his deflection of Gordon's point about Collingwood essentially saving Sydney in '94.

Maybe I'm biased... (actually I'm probably biased!), but Gordon has these blokes lapped. I remember how green he was in the early 90's. It was all pretty bare knuckled and loose. The bloke put his proverbials on the line (thank Christ!) and had to learn on the job with probably the most challenging sports job in the country at the time. He seemed to just be a gutsy (and slightly awkward) young bloke who loved his club and was having a dip. At least to me as a young bloke unfairly comparing him to Bill Clinton - who was in the news quite a bit at that time!!

Now, 20-25 years on, he's got a really good blend of the statesman and the Everyman about him. He's been there, done that. He's got the kudos and the respect of the footy world. He's obviously gained the business acumen in his time away, too. Maybe it's because I'm older and more able to keep up with the debate a bit better, but he also seems very sharp, on point and assured. He's got the air of intimidation about him, now. Something he probably didn't have in his arsenal 20 years ago.

I guess it's natural progression with age and experience, but what a uniquely perfect CV he's got to be heading up an AFL Footy Club?
The way he's shaped and worked the equalisation debate, for example, has been very shrewd. I remember when he came back into the role, thinking "oh back to those days.. Back to the future!" To be honest, I thought no one must've put their hand up for it and that he'd had to step in again. However it's become apparent that he's really grown and developed so many more strings to his bow. He's a businessman now and a savvy political operator. The perfect presidential animal.

comrade
02-06-2015, 10:58 PM
Koch and McGuire just drip egotism. Eddie tends to talk over people. Pridham was pisspoor in his deflection of Gordon's point about Collingwood essentially saving Sydney in '94.

Maybe I'm biased... (actually I'm probably biased!), but Gordon has these blokes lapped. I remember how green he was in the early 90's. It was all pretty bare knuckled and loose. The bloke put his proverbials on the line (thank Christ!) and had to learn on the job with probably the most challenging sports job in the country at the time. He seemed to just be a gutsy (and slightly awkward) young bloke who loved his club and was having a dip. At least to me as a young bloke unfairly comparing him to Bill Clinton - who was in the news quite a bit at that time!!

Now, 20-25 years on, he's got a really good blend of the statesman and the Everyman about him. He's been there, done that. He's got the kudos and the respect of the footy world. He's obviously gained the business acumen in his time away, too. Maybe it's because I'm older and more able to keep up with the debate a bit better, but he also seems very sharp, on point and assured. He's got the air of intimidation about him, now. Something he probably didn't have in his arsenal 20 years ago.

I guess it's natural progression with age and experience, but what a uniquely perfect CV he's got to be heading up an AFL Footy Club?
The way he's shaped and worked the equalisation debate, for example, has been very shrewd. I remember when he came back into the role, thinking "oh back to those days.. Back to the future!" To be honest, I thought no one must've put their hand up for it and that he'd had to step in again. However it's become apparent that he's really grown and developed so many more strings to his bow. He's a businessman now and a savvy political operator. The perfect presidential animal.

Great summary, Webby.

I share similar sentiments and feel he's the perfect person to lead a small market team. Shrewd, skilled at negotiation and experienced in taking on organisations.

If he could just somehow conjure up a deal that permanently brings back AFL games to Whitten Oval, he will go down as the greatest sports administrator of all time (in my eyes).

Webby
02-06-2015, 11:09 PM
If he could just somehow conjure up a deal that permanently brings back AFL games to Whitten Oval, he will go down as the greatest sports administrator of all time (in my eyes).

I reckon there's a chance that could happen, but, reading the tea leaves, I reckon the issues at Etihad and the land value it sits on mean that the AFL may sell it for its land value and build a new stadium between the Melbourne Eye Wheel and Footscray. If not, developing WO into a boutique TV stadium would be a goer. Either way, I'd be happy.

Twodogs
02-06-2015, 11:35 PM
Great summary, Webby.

I share similar sentiments and feel he's the perfect person to lead a small market team. Shrewd, skilled at negotiation and experienced in taking on organisations.

I reckon there's a chance that could happen, but, reading the tea leaves, I reckon the issues at Etihad and the land value it sits on mean that the AFL may sell it for its land value and build a new stadium between the Melbourne Eye Wheel and Footscray. If not, developing WO into a boutique TV stadium would be a goer. Either way, I'd be happy.

Me too. PG has murmured on a few occasions now that he'd like to see Whitten Oval hosting AFL games.

bulldogtragic
02-06-2015, 11:38 PM
Me too. PG has murmured on a few occasions now that he'd like to see Whitten Oval hosting AFL games.

Do we own the ground? That is to ask, could we earn an income from hosting games with us or other teams playing?

Doc26
02-06-2015, 11:54 PM
The first topic discussed was on that of equalisation which of course Peter continued what so often is his lone fight for the numerous battler Clubs. Hopefully one day some of these other battler Clubs can start sharing the load.

Had to laugh with PG's segway into the topic where he clearly placed Ed and himself at the opposing ends of this debate saying that his biggest ever argument across his two terms as President was with Eddie on this issue of competitive balance. Ed could no longer try and play Mr Nice Guy in stating support for equalisation. As Peter put it, self interest will often rise to the top and this was no more apparent tonight with Eddie's and Pridham's views on this matter. As for Kochie, he seemed to be playing for Switzerland.

bornadog
03-06-2015, 12:17 AM
The first topic discussed was on that of equalisation which of course Peter continued what so often is his lone fight for the numerous battler Clubs. Hopefully one day some of these other battler Clubs can start sharing the load.

Had to laugh with PG's segway into the topic where he clearly placed Ed and himself at the opposing ends of this debate saying that his biggest ever argument across his two terms as President was with Eddie on this issue of competitive balance. Ed could no longer try and play Mr Nice Guy in stating support for equalisation. As Peter put it, self interest will often rise to the top and this was no more apparent tonight with Eddie's and Pridham's views on this matter. As for Kochie, he seemed to be playing for Switzerland.

The one thing I was disappointed in the discussion they had on equalisation was the fact that no one ever brings up the main reason for the Collingwoods of the world being so rich, which are the privileges they receive from exposure to TV Free to air, Blockbusters, Friday nights, timeslots, venues they play, preferential treatment with the Fixture on who they pay and where. Kochie sort of brought it up, but Eddie always buts in and says the AFL needs Collingwood to play those time slots. As we know the more exposure the richer they get.

I would like to see one season where Collingwood plays at Kardinia Park, Launceston, no Friday nights, no ANZAC day or Queens Birthday, less games at the MCG, travel to Brisbane, GC, GWS, Perth, put games on Sunday night at 4.30, play interstate games at most of their home games and see how they cope.

And then Eddie turns around and says in order for the broadcasting rights to be bigger the AFL has to make sure Essendon and Carlton are back up and winning, Give me a break please, this is exactly why there is inequity in the whole competition. These clubs still thinking they are the AFL and the rest are just making up the numbers and thank you we will bank the money and maybe give you a few hundred here and there.

Doc26
03-06-2015, 12:42 AM
The one thing I was disappointed in the discussion they had on equalisation was the fact that no one ever brings up the main reason for the Collingwoods of the world being so rich, which are the privileges they receive from exposure to TV Free to air, Blockbusters, Friday nights, timeslots, venues they play, preferential treatment with the Fixture on who they pay and where. Kochie sort of brought it up, but Eddie always buts in and says the AFL needs Collingwood to play those time slots. As we know the more exposure the richer they get.

I would like to see one season where Collingwood plays at Kardinia Park, Launceston, no Friday nights, no ANZAC day or Queens Birthday, less games at the MCG, travel to Brisbane, GC, GWS, Perth, put games on Sunday night at 4.30, play interstate games at most of their home games and see how they cope.

And then Eddie turns around and says in order for the broadcasting rights to be bigger the AFL has to make sure Essendon and Carlton are back up and winning, Give me a break please, this is exactly why there is inequity in the whole competition. These clubs still thinking they are the AFL and the rest are just making up the numbers and thank you we will bank the money and maybe give you a few hundred here and there.

This is where and why Peter needs more support from his peers in this lopsided debate.

Our Club undoubtedly must excel in our own backyard when it comes to growing our brand, base and revenue but as Peter mentioned, Club's do not operate on similar terms to a typical business.

As you've mentioned the fixture as at stands, which is there to grow the overall revenue base, is a significant barrier to overcome in growing our brand, base and revenue particularly during times where there has been a sustained period of underwhelming on field performance which doesn't effect the higher drawing Clubs anywhere near as much as the battlers.

The opportunity to grow sustainbly the total revenue pie is surely to find means to address the reasons why matches are continuing to draw sub 20k crowds in perfect surrounds rather than invest in the next Collingwood Essendon blockbuster.

Hopefully we can start to captilise off-field on what would appear an exciting period for us with the list that is forming.

The Adelaide Connection
03-06-2015, 01:37 AM

Totally agree, this is a point that doesn't seem to get raised nearly enough. The AFL constantly gives the big clubs multiple facings and multiple rows at eye level on the supermarket shelf as well as a fancy big display at the end of the aisle. We are forced to try to sell our product with a single facing from the bottom shelf.
No matter how good our product is, it is difficult to get new customers if nobody sees it and if they are always running promotions for our competitors.

Remi Moses
03-06-2015, 03:30 AM
No need for the deputy sheriff Andrew Newbloke with Eddie being there.
I've taped it, but listening to reviews here I might hit that yellow delete button on my remote.

Go_Dogs
03-06-2015, 08:48 AM
The TV rights thing is a joke. You know what people like to watch? Exciting games of football! Close games! High scoring!

It's really irrelevant who's playing and a more even completion (what we're slowly getting to) will continue to help drive up audiences. The way to do that is to continue to build a level playing field.

bornadog
03-06-2015, 10:02 AM
No need for the deputy sheriff Andrew Newbloke with Eddie being there.
I've taped it, but listening to reviews here I might hit that yellow delete button on my remote.

Don't delete it, its worth watching as they discuss a number of issues.

bornadog
03-06-2015, 10:10 AM
The TV rights thing is a joke. You know what people like to watch? Exciting games of football! Close games! High scoring!

It's really irrelevant who's playing and a more even completion (what we're slowly getting to) will continue to help drive up audiences. The way to do that is to continue to build a level playing field.

This is exactly right. Most of the population that enjoy football are now use to watching the expansion clubs and what they want is a close game, with great football.

The way Eddie would like it is every Friday night Collingwood, Carlton, Essendon and Hawthorn play each other for the whole 22 rounds and then he can maximise the profits. There is no long term view from the AFL.

When the dogs win a premiership, we will rise as a power house because, I am confident the supporters are out there. Just look at game attendances in 2009 - we averaged more than Essendon and Saints at Etihad. Our supporters are sick and tired of not having played in a GF for so long, and they just drop off and don't attend matches.

As PG says, a good competition is when all clubs are competitive and there is an even playing field.

Mofra
03-06-2015, 10:57 AM
Do we own the ground? That is to ask, could we earn an income from hosting games with us or other teams playing?
We don't own the land - it's council land periodically renewed on long term leases.
All chattels are ours though (or shared facilities with VU)

bulldogtragic
03-06-2015, 12:17 PM
I liked PGs honesty about Wheelers sacking. 'I was 34 years old and made the best decision as I saw it. But now being older, I think if I would've done it now.'

It sounds like he's still thinking about it, which counters a view that he's a ruthless and cold hearted executioner. Honesty is so refreshing.

WBFC4FFC
03-06-2015, 06:07 PM
This is exactly right. Most of the population that enjoy football are now use to watching the expansion clubs and what they want is a close game, with great football.

The way Eddie would like it is every Friday night Collingwood, Carlton, Essendon and Hawthorn play each other for the whole 22 rounds and then he can maximise the profits. There is no long term view from the AFL.

When the dogs win a premiership, we will rise as a power house because, I am confident the supporters are out there. Just look at game attendances in 2009 - we averaged more than Essendon and Saints at Etihad. Our supporters are sick and tired of not having played in a GF for so long, and they just drop off and don't attend matches.

As PG says, a good competition is when all clubs are competitive and there is an even playing field.

Totally agree with this. It is a monopoly on Friday nights. People crash and put on Channel 7 knowing there is a game of footy. By having the so-called "Bigger clubs" play would make no difference to ratings but impacts the smaller clubs finances both now and in the future!

Twodogs
03-06-2015, 06:58 PM

Like Mof said its a council facility but we'd take the gate as the home club. Back in the day a council employee was the ground manager. His name was Gary something and he had an office in the Gent stand where all the blue coats and stuff were kept.

Twodogs
03-06-2015, 06:58 PM
Or was it Ray?

GVGjr
03-06-2015, 07:09 PM
Peter Gordon was clearly the best performed of the 4. I was quite surprised that David Koch didn't impress. Eddie of course pushed the old theme of how Collingwood pick up the tab for the poorer clubs but it has to stop now.

I was particularly pleased with how Peter mentioned that it's great to have a salary cap but if teams can't pay 100% of it then it puts them at a huge disadvantage. He also mentioned the challenges of managing a club here when so many of the levers managers would use aren't available to clubs and in particular ours.

Good show and I gained a better understanding of the challenges the AFL face.

mjp
04-06-2015, 02:23 PM
You know what people like to watch? Exciting games of football! Close games! High scoring!

Not to me. I watch Dogs games.

Once upon a time I would watch everything but not anymore. I watch Dogs games whenever they are on - and beyond that I usually watch one or two more games that might be of interest over the weekend. One will usually be a Freo game because that is who the missus wants to watch - the other will probably feature either Hawthorn or Sydney because they are on top of the ladder. Last year I used to watch Port Adelaide a lot. I watch Melbourne if they are on because Jeremy Howe will probably take a hanger in the next 15 minutes or so...if he doesn't do that, I turn it off. If we want more 'BIG' games then our ratings and attendance at our 'OTHER' games needs to go up.

High scoring? Whatever. I just want to see good footy. Close games are interesting for the last 10 minutes when the result is in question but if Brisbane were playing Gold Coast and there were continuous turnovers through the midfield and ill-disciplined set-ups I couldn't care if there were 37 lead changes I still wouldn't stick it out. Close is not necessarily good. High scoring is not necessarily good.