PDA

View Full Version : Bankers and Anchors - Round 10

Eastdog
05-06-2015, 05:33 PM
This is the round 10 edition of the Weekly Bankers and Anchors Thread. Once the game against Port Adelaide is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys that you we banked on to do the right thing during the game
The Anchors = 3 guys that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

bulldogtragic
06-06-2015, 10:46 PM
B.u.m.p.

GVGjr
06-06-2015, 10:47 PM
Thanks BT

bulldogtragic
06-06-2015, 11:25 PM
B:

Grant
Wallis
Hamling

A:

Last 5 minutes of the second quarter
Crameri's 50: Stupid
Umpires. Not all that happy.

Rance Fan
06-06-2015, 11:29 PM
Bankers
Macrae & Stevens tackling effort was excellent!
Hamling and Wood did well down back
Grant did some nice things

Achors
Bailey, Hrovat, Jong, Dickson - didn't offer enough, particularly up forward
T Boyd - needs to improve his agility
The teams skills and composure was poor tonight

Eastdog
07-06-2015, 12:28 AM
Bankers

Macrae - Liked his game tonight
Hamling - Really did well down back and its only his 2nd game for us
Dickson - May not have been his greatest night but still is very exciting at times in the game

Anchors

T Boyd - He'll be back
Our kicking needs some improvement.

Remi Moses
07-06-2015, 01:02 AM
Bankers - Hamling, it looks like we got a decent one from the cats for a change
Wood , pretty good after a shaky start.
Grant , he was pretty decent, but needs to nail those goals
Stevens, thought he was decent, but has to improve his decision making and execution
Macrae, thought he played well, but gee hard to find 4 quarter players
Anchors - big Tom, he needs to impose himself better( get angry, and use his weight) needs to be more demonstrative towards the officials in particular. I reckon it will take two years before he makes an impact
Ling Yong,reckon he's struggling and looks stuffed.
Crameri , as with most of our forwards he was ordinary
Stringer, needs to get involved more

Eastdog
07-06-2015, 01:08 AM
Minson more banker or more anchor?

comrade
07-06-2015, 08:25 AM

A little from column A, a little from column B.

Just gives us nothing around the ground with his marking. Must have the worst hands of anyone over 195cm in the league - the ball just trampolines from his mitts.

He used his strength in the ruck and broke even with Lobbe (both had 40 hitouts) but it just seemed like Port got silver service at times.

comrade
07-06-2015, 08:36 AM
When choosing bankers and anchors after watching on TV, I use the scream test. Who made we scream out of joy or anger...

Happy screams:

Wood's marking. He's taking intercept marking to the next level. Whether the opponent is big or small, Wood just launches and clunks.

Macrae. The 2 week spell will hold him in good stead. Obviously made a distinct effort to lay as many tackles as he could and was still creative on the outside. That little dinky snap to a team mate when he was under pressure was gold.

Stevens (first half). Koby was in everything in the first half and was quite clean in dewy conditions. Still handballs to shoe laces, but his grunt work got us going.

Angry screams:

Stoppage positioning. We let Gray/Boak/Wines just waltz out of a stoppage so many times in the first half, it killed any momentum we would build. I know we're undermanned, but we need to set up better to prevent gun mids from having a field day. Happens too often.

Lin Jong. His first quarter was diabolical in terms of execution. Everything he touched turned to mud. Got better but was never an attacking weapon like we've seen at times.

Forward line. Completely dysfunctional from a scoring perspective, and even more disappointing, it was like a good old fashioned trampoline as soon as the ball entered. Port's defenders were way too good and set up attack after attack from the back half. Lost us the game in may ways.

Go_Dogs
07-06-2015, 08:45 AM
I'm going to have to watch the replay because being at the ground, I thought Macrae used the ball pretty poorly on balance. His defensive work was good and he was working hard, but his kicking and penetration is becoming a big issue for a bloke who is meant to be our outside link up player.

B:
Wood - great job in the backline, some big contests
Hamling - ditto
Stevens - becoming a consistent performer

A:
Kicking in general. Seemed a large portion of the night was spent deliberately missing targets.
Umpires - couple of home town decisions and non-decisions.
Me - for stuffing up the reserved seating purchase without realising I needed guest passes for a few mates who came along and being forced to sit in GA with the Port ferals.

F'scary
07-06-2015, 12:44 PM

What was really good to see was that for the second week in a row, we more than held our own in all the stoppages - the centre bounce, ball ups, throw ins. I wouldn't be homing in on Minson as a reason for the loss.

F'scary
07-06-2015, 12:58 PM
B:
Hamling (on Schultz all night) - the slightly greasy conditions didn't suit the marking forwards but Hamling did more than just survive on that fact. He looks a real find and to me he appears to have just enough bulk to play as a KPB.
Roberts - becoming quite dependable in the air and now doesn't look lost when the ball is on the ground.
Stevens - he puts in 100%, can take a mark and this season is carrying the ball much more.

A:
Stringer - too quiet (although he did kick two rippers). He has to be more of a focal point in attack.
Jong - is out of form.
Too many of our players are poor at set shots at the moment. Some of the misses (including not making the distance and on the full) were at crucial times. If they had got some of them, we may have been able to keep our momentum up.

Ghost Dog
08-06-2015, 02:49 PM
Bankers: Mitch Wallis' stocks keep going up. Maybe having Libba out has a silver lining. By the time he gets back, Mitch will be much improved.

Anchors: Jarrod Grant. I know he is going to miss, in the same way I know Jones would always miss. Was with a mate watching the game, and he reckons it's the way he runs up and drops the ball. According to my mate his technique is flawed.

bulldogtragic
08-06-2015, 02:54 PM
Bankers: Mitch Wallis' stocks keep going up. Maybe having Libba out has a silver lining. By the time he gets back, Mitch will be much improved.

Anchors: Jarrod Grant. I know he is going to miss, in the same way I know Jones would always miss. Was with a mate watching the game, and he reckons it's the way he runs up and drops the ball. According to my mate his technique is flawed.

An anchor for ONE (1) missed shot? 5 rebound 50's, 5 inside 50's, 6 clearnaces, 6 hit outs, 18 touches plus spoils, tackles and one percent ers. You're pretty tough to look at his game an only see a missed shot on goal.

Ghost Dog
08-06-2015, 03:03 PM
An anchor for ONE (1) missed shot? 5 rebound 50's, 5 inside 50's, 6 clearnaces, 6 hit outs, 18 touches plus spoils, tackles and one percent ers. You're pretty tough to look at his game an only see a missed shot on goal.

I don't really take a statisticians view. Yes, an anchor for being a forward and missing two very gettable missed shots at the start of the game, when it is critical to get score board pressure. Early goals like that are gold. But I will give him a Banker in the other areas.
No excuses. Those are the kind of shots an underdog team like us must nail to have any chance.

comrade
08-06-2015, 03:36 PM
I don't really take a statisticians view. Yes, an anchor for being a forward and missing two very gettable missed shots at the start of the game, when it is critical to get score board pressure. Early goals like that are gold. But I will give him a Banker in the other areas.
No excuses. Those are the kind of shots an underdog team like us must nail to have any chance.

Don't disagree that he should have kicked the goal, but he's no longer being played as a forward. Much more of a utility who will sneak into the forward 50 at times.

bulldogtragic
08-06-2015, 03:43 PM
Don't disagree that he should have kicked the goal, but he's no longer being played as a forward. Much more of a utility who will sneak into the forward 50 at times.

Beat me to it. Exactly.

Ghost Dog
08-06-2015, 03:46 PM
Beat me to it. Exactly.

Fair enough. Just my view. No excuses really for me. They are paid and do nothing else but train to kick those. Later in the game, legs are tired and it's easy to miss shots like that.

bulldogtragic
08-06-2015, 03:48 PM
Fair enough. Just my view. No excuses really for me. They are paid and do nothing else but train to kick those. Later in the game, legs are tired and it's easy to miss shots like that.

We kicked 8 behinds. Are the other 7 behind kickers on the anchors list?

Ghost Dog
08-06-2015, 03:52 PM
We kicked 8 behinds. Are the other 7 behind kickers on the anchors list?

Agree to disagree. No confidence in his set shots at present.

bulldogtragic
08-06-2015, 04:08 PM
Agree to disagree. No confidence in his set shots at present.

I have no confidence either, which is why i'm glad they've finally moved him away from the forward 50. His work rate is now excellent so if that gut running brings him a shot or two a game which he may or may not kick then so be it, for mine. He's not playing as a forward so I judge him on things that utilities do, things like rebounds, inside 50's and clearances, tackles, spoils etc.

As you say, agree to disagree.

Bulldog4life
08-06-2015, 04:10 PM
I would hope that Gia our forward line coach, who was a reliable kick for goal himself, is trying to assist Grant with his goal kicking technique.

G-Mo77
08-06-2015, 05:38 PM
I have no confidence either, which is why i'm glad they've finally moved him away from the forward 50. His work rate is now excellent so if that gut running brings him a shot or two a game which he may or may not kick then so be it, for mine. He's not playing as a forward so I judge him on things that utilities do, things like rebounds, inside 50's and clearances, tackles, spoils etc.

As you say, agree to disagree.

We only have so many positions further away from goals. It's about time time some of our players took it upon themselves to stop this rot in front of the sticks. Not taking a shot at Grant alone here all of our forwards.

Bulldog4life
08-06-2015, 07:54 PM
We only have so many positions further away from goals. It's about time time some of our players took it upon themselves to stop this rot in front of the sticks. Not taking a shot at Grant alone here all of our forwards.

Agree. Not sure who said it....it was a well known ex senior coach...but he said the most important stat by a mile, out of all the ones the experts go on about, is kicking for goal.

LostDoggy
08-06-2015, 08:30 PM
Bankers

Hamling - he is mobile and a thinker. Bev obviously rates these qualities in a player.
Wood - reads the play so well
Dahl - keeps having a red hot go

Anchors

- Minson - his kicks or taps to space without looking resulted in easy turnovers to PA
- Stringer - must not bomb away blindly...ever
- Jong's first half, but not his third quarter which was a vast improvement on his past games. As far as I could tell, he was in the forward line in the last quarter where the ball hardly ever got down to him and certainly not in any organised fashion. He looks like a player who takes time to recover from injury and regain confidence. I put this down to his lack of a tank at this stage of his career....I think he has shown signs of incremental improvement in the last 2 games since the hand injury but that may not be enough to keep him in the side.

Remi Moses
08-06-2015, 08:46 PM
Minson kicked the ball into the corridor quite often .
Didn't have a bad game, but he needs some consistent games