PDA

View Full Version : Match Committee - Round 12 vs Brisbane Lions

Eastdog
05-06-2015, 05:36 PM
If you were on the Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make for our round 12 match against Brisbane Lions at Etihad?

As always a brief explanation for your changes would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
06-06-2015, 10:46 PM
A long way off but there will be a few coming back.

Rance Fan
06-06-2015, 11:36 PM
Out Jong, Dale, Hrovat
In Bonts, Picken, Prudden

comrade
07-06-2015, 12:52 AM
Out Jong, Dale, Hrovat
In Bonts, Picken, Prudden

Don't mind this but think Hrovat needs to play and be instructed to spread, spread, spread. With Bonti back to do the heavy lifting, we need the likes of Picken and Hrovat to give us an outlet on the outside of the contest.

Prudden is too inside and won't help our lack of run from congestion.

Dale definitely needs a spell. Like him, but isn't having enough impact.

jazzadogs
07-06-2015, 01:10 AM
Another question is, is there anyone from tonight's team who would benefit from a week at Footscray while everyone else has a bye?
I would query whether someone like Jong would actually benefit from a week playing at a lower level more than a week off? Webb also had a week off recently...VFL to build confidence again then back into the AFL side against the Lions?

I can definitely see why majority would just have a week off, but think there are a few where pros = cons.

hujsh
07-06-2015, 01:29 AM
Another question is, is there anyone from tonight's team who would benefit from a week at Footscray while everyone else has a bye?
I would query whether someone like Jong would actually benefit from a week playing at a lower level more than a week off? Webb also had a week off recently...VFL to build confidence again then back into the AFL side against the Lions?

I can definitely see why majority would just have a week off, but think there are a few where pros = cons.

Jong got a rest while his hard was broken so you'd think it's either the hand's still bothering him or he's down on form. Perfect candidate

Eastdog
07-06-2015, 01:34 AM
Interesting to hear how Campbell goes in the VFL today.

Remi Moses
07-06-2015, 02:19 AM
In Picken Bonts
Out Jong Dale
Possibly Redpath for Boyd

Go_Dogs
07-06-2015, 08:20 AM
Ins:
Honeychurch, Bontempelli, Picken, Prudden

Outs:
McLean, Jong, Dale, Webb

We clearly missed our best two inside players so they come back and we give Jong and Dale some time back in the VFL. Dale has been OK but has had his taste for now, whilst Jong needs some confidence back.

We've missed Honeychurch badly, and if he's ready McLean makes way.

Webb has been good but I'm keen on seeing the bigger body of Prudden in.

SlimPickens
07-06-2015, 09:10 AM

Footscray have the bye as well

Remi Moses
07-06-2015, 10:08 PM
Watching today I wouldn't be bringing in Redpath

Hotdog60
07-06-2015, 10:36 PM
Watching today I wouldn't be bringing in Redpath

Watching today, I wouldn't be bringing anyone in. :)

jeemak
07-06-2015, 10:51 PM
In - Bontempelli, Picken
Out - Dale, Jong

Dale's been given an excellent shot so far and he'll have learned a lot about what it takes to get your hands on the footy at senior level, and how you need to make every contest and touch count. This week he got schooled in a couple of overhead contests and he'll learn from it.

Jong just needs to get his hands on it more often and continue to do the tough things he does well. My view is we give him a week or two at the lower level to round up his game a little bit and give him a chance to do everything well, not just the hard stuff he did last night.

boydogs
08-06-2015, 01:00 AM
It's a hell of a rest Honeychurch is getting without being named on the injury list. We miss him, I hope he is back after the bye

jazzadogs
08-06-2015, 04:17 AM
Footscray have the bye as well

Well I guess they can all have a week off then!

SlimPickens
08-06-2015, 09:33 AM
I'd go:

In: Bont- need his class
Picken- need his tenacity
Honeychurch- As above

Out: Dale, Jong, Maclean

F'scary
08-06-2015, 02:22 PM
I understand that Brisbane is missing a lot of players through injury. A quick look at the stats on Footywire indicates to me that they are a pretty soft side that prefers a bruise free, share the ball around a lot in their half of the ground, style of game. They don't go inside 50 that much, their opponents get it into their 50 zone much more.

We should be gearing up to completely smash these guys but our performances against StK and the Dees leaves me unconvinced that we should be anything more than slight favourites with the bookies.

azabob
08-06-2015, 03:49 PM
IN - Bontempelli, Picken, Honeychurch

OUT - Minson, Dale, Jong,

No surprises we still have a couple of structural concerns, namely 2nd tall forward and the second ruckman.

The second ruck man is still a real concern for me. I don't want Boyd rucking, but Im not sure what other option we have.

The game has caught up with Minson, and quiet possibly Campbell who in reality is a Minson clone except a few years younger and a slightly better mark.

However when Boyd leaves the F50, we lose structure and don't have anyone to kick to in the forward 50.

If Stringer can play deep when Boyd is either rucking or resting and have Crameri and Grant as the lead up forwards this should help solve the forward line structure.

F'scary
08-06-2015, 08:45 PM
IN - Bontempelli, Picken, Honeychurch

OUT - Minson, Dale, Jong,

No surprises we still have a couple of structural concerns, namely 2nd tall forward and the second ruckman.

The second ruck man is still a real concern for me. I don't want Boyd rucking, but Im not sure what other option we have.

The game has caught up with Minson, and quiet possibly Campbell who in reality is a Minson clone except a few years younger and a slightly better mark.

However when Boyd leaves the F50, we lose structure and don't have anyone to kick to in the forward 50.

If Stringer can play deep when Boyd is either rucking or resting and have Crameri and Grant as the lead up forwards this should help solve the forward line structure.

About Minson, I don't know, I thought he went ok and Roughy was playing 2nd ruck. I think they both did well against Port. We lost the game in other areas. In particular, they outlasted us in the midfield in the last quarter - this has been a problem for us all year. Our extreme forward press and fast movement means we run out of gas.

Rocco Jones
08-06-2015, 10:31 PM
In- Bonts, Picken, Honeychurch
Out- Dale, McLean, Jong

1eyedog
08-06-2015, 10:45 PM
I'm hesitant to drop Jong after his second half. He was much better and should keep his spot on endeavor alone. I want to find a spot for Honeychurch so I guess Jong is the out to allow for that. At this stage;

In: Bonts, Picken
Out Dale, McLean.

That would strengthen us up a bit.

Ghost Dog
08-06-2015, 10:49 PM
I'm hesitant to drop Jong after his second half. He was much better and should keep his spot on endeavor alone. I want to find a spot for Honeychurch so I guess Jong is the out to allow for that. At this stage;

In: Bonts, Picken
Out Dale, McLean.

That would strengthen us up a bit.

The thing I like about Jong is the full commitment, showing lots of improvement, and his hardness. See the bump he laid in the second first half ?

1eyedog
08-06-2015, 10:53 PM
The thing I like about Jong is the full commitment, showing lots of improvement, and his hardness. See the bump he laid in the second first half ?

It was a good bump - he's as hard as a cats head. It was dewy and he just fumbled a bit too much, but on the flip side he was in a position to fumble meaning he got to the right spot(s) a number of times. I think a form turnaround is just around the corner.

Ghost Dog
08-06-2015, 11:33 PM
About Minson, I don't know, I thought he went ok and Roughy was playing 2nd ruck. I think they both did well against Port. We lost the game in other areas. In particular, they outlasted us in the midfield in the last quarter - this has been a problem for us all year. Our extreme forward press and fast movement means we run out of gas.

I watched a few other games on the weekend and they seem to switch it across the ground from time to time a little more. Perhaps we need to control the tempo a bit better.

bornadog
08-06-2015, 11:39 PM
It was a good bump - he's as hard as a cats head. It was dewy and he just fumbled a bit too much, but on the flip side he was in a position to fumble meaning he got to the right spot(s) a number of times. I think a form turnaround is just around the corner.

Jong hasn't played a decent game since he did his hand. He was dropped but came in after Stringer had to withdraw. I think he needs a stint in the VFL to get his confidence right back up again.

1eyedog
08-06-2015, 11:50 PM
He messed up a bit against the Power, but I thought he was right amongst it after the first quarter. There's little question that Bevo has kept players in the side for less. A deep breath followed by hopefully less high intensity games the first month aftet the bye may be just the tonic for him.

dadsgirl16
09-06-2015, 02:31 PM
After watching Footscray yesterday (I understand it was a shocking day for footy) no one deserves a call up.

Bring back Bonti and Picken if fit

The Bulldogs Bite
09-06-2015, 04:35 PM
I'd like to keep McLean in for another game at least, especially given he only got one quarter. We've done the same with Webb and Dale, I think we need to apply the same fortune to Toby.

In: Bont/Picken
Out: Dale/Jong or Webb

Happy Days
09-06-2015, 05:02 PM
I'd like to keep McLean in for another game at least, especially given he only got one quarter. We've done the same with Webb and Dale, I think we need to apply the same fortune to Toby.

Agree with this, I think in playing Dale for an extended stretch despite limited output we've shown our hand a bit with regard to our younger players.

I'd have the same ins, with Dale and Jong the ones to go. Jong has been very poor since his injury and Dale just isn't ready right now.

Cyberdoggie
09-06-2015, 05:09 PM
Ins:
Honeychurch, Bontempelli, Picken, Prudden

Outs:
McLean, Jong, Dale, Webb

We clearly missed our best two inside players so they come back and we give Jong and Dale some time back in the VFL. Dale has been OK but has had his taste for now, whilst Jong needs some confidence back.

We've missed Honeychurch badly, and if he's ready McLean makes way.

Webb has been good but I'm keen on seeing the bigger body of Prudden in.

McLean out after a quarter of footy? bit harsh isn't it?

I thought he was ok given the circumstances and the fact he is a baby in footballing years and development.

Bevo will definitely give him a full game next game against Brisbane.

I think Jong and Dale need some time at Footscray again, agree with that.

Bonts and Picken back in, would like to see Honey in as well but not many put their hands up at Footscray from all accounts and I'm sure the coach will show some faith in the players as usual, so only a couple of changes.

Go_Dogs
09-06-2015, 06:49 PM
McLean out after a quarter of footy? bit harsh isn't it?

I thought he was ok given the circumstances and the fact he is a baby in footballing years and development.

Bevo will definitely give him a full game next game against Brisbane.

I think Jong and Dale need some time at Footscray again, agree with that.

Bonts and Picken back in, would like to see Honey in as well but not many put their hands up at Footscray from all accounts and I'm sure the coach will show some faith in the players as usual, so only a couple of changes.

You may well be right.

I'm looking at our next 4 games and wanting our best side on the park as we're a real chance at finals if we have a good month. Honeychurch was an important part of our early wins, so he comes back in.

I understand the desire to keep McLean in but need a forward out for HC.

A lot probably depends on whether we are content to stay in exploration mode or ramp up our season and continue to rotate when players need a rest as opposed to given extended opportunity when there may be better options in the VFL side.

GVGjr
09-06-2015, 08:09 PM
After watching Footscray yesterday (I understand it was a shocking day for footy) no one deserves a call up.

Bring back Bonti and Picken if fit

I could probably put forward Honeychurch and then maybe Biggs or Darley but I'd probably only look at Honeychurch unless there are injuries we need to cover.

Rocket Science
09-06-2015, 11:15 PM
I could probably put forward Honeychurch and then maybe Biggs or Darley but I'd probably only look at Honeychurch unless there are injuries we need to cover.

Of course he's still developing and finding his feet at a new club but I'd love someone to explain to me what qualities Biggs brings to the table that'll improve our best 22.

As someone who's watched him at AFL and VFL level this year I'm struggling to see it thus far.

jeemak
09-06-2015, 11:39 PM

Agree 100%.

There's not been a lot of evidence to suggest TMac will get the boot after one game if the season to date is anything to go by. I hope that's the case.

stefoid
12-06-2015, 02:10 PM
Of course he's still developing and finding his feet at a new club but I'd love someone to explain to me what qualities Biggs brings to the table that'll improve our best 22.

As someone who's watched him at AFL and VFL level this year I'm struggling to see it thus far.

Doesnt look like he handles being pressured all that well. Not a good sign.

Happy Days
12-06-2015, 03:29 PM

TOO EARLY TOO EARLY YOU'RE GOING TOO EARLY!

I thought we had to wait until players had played 200 games and been good before we were allowed to critique them?

ratsmac
16-06-2015, 10:07 PM
Morris looking like he is available for selection this week which is good news. You would think he would come back through the VFL. His experience will be very handy when he returns. Bring back the glove!!

jeemak
17-06-2015, 01:17 AM
TOO EARLY TOO EARLY YOU'RE GOING TOO EARLY!

I thought we had to wait until players had played 200 games and been good before we were allowed to critique them?

Mate you're pretty funny most of the time but other times you kind of take it a bit far, and this is one example of that.

You could pretty much go as hard as you have towards 60-70 per cent of draftees and trades over time and still be right after ten games within a new club environment, but you're still going to be wrong a lot of the time as well.

Maybe just give him a bit of time across his contract period.

Go_Dogs
17-06-2015, 08:43 AM
Morris looking like he is available for selection this week which is good news. You would think he would come back through the VFL. His experience will be very handy when he returns. Bring back the glove!!

Who goes out for him when he's ready? Good problem to have I guess but on balance the back 6 has been very solid.

azabob
17-06-2015, 08:50 AM
Who goes out for him when he's ready? Good problem to have I guess but on balance the back 6 has been very solid.

Will Minson, which allows Roughead to ruck.

bornadog
17-06-2015, 09:44 AM
Will Minson, which allows Roughead to ruck.

I think the combination of the two has worked very well, especially around the ground when the opposition doesn't know who will be going up for the ruck.

azabob
17-06-2015, 11:10 AM
I think the combination of the two has worked very well, especially around the ground when the opposition doesn't know who will be going up for the ruck.

If Minson was to be dropped he'd consider himself stiff. Will be an interesting match up this week as Martin is very mobile.

Nuggety Back Pocket
17-06-2015, 11:50 AM

I would prefer to see Roughead and Tom Boyd share the ruck duties changing in the forward pocket. This would then allow Stringer to become the leading full forward. I am yet to be convinced that our forward line is potent enough with Boyd at full forward.

bornadog
17-06-2015, 12:02 PM
I would prefer to see Roughead and Tom Boyd share the ruck duties changing in the forward pocket. This would then allow Stringer to become the leading full forward. I am yet to be convinced that our forward line is potent enough with Boyd at full forward.

I think TBoyd gives us some structure down there and brings the ball to ground where Dickson and others have been successful in kicking the goals. Many times when Tom is in the ruck, you can see the dynamics changing in the forward line. When Tom went off in the 3rd quarter against Port, we didn't kick a goal for 30 minutes.

Happy for Roughie to be number one ruck and bring in Talia to help out.

Axe Man
17-06-2015, 12:19 PM
I think TBoyd gives us some structure down there and brings the ball to ground where Dixon and others have been successful in kicking the goals. Many times when Tom is in the ruck, you can see the dynamics changing in the forward line. When Tom went off in the 3rd quarter against Port, we didn't kick a goal for 30 minutes.

Happy for Roughie to be number one ruck and bring in Talia to help out.

'Dixon' is fast approaching Misspelled Bulldogs Hall of Fame status where he will join legends such as 'Hargraves' and 'Griffin'! ;)

bornadog
17-06-2015, 12:43 PM
'Dixon' is fast approaching Misspelled Bulldogs Hall of Fame status where he will join legends such as 'Hargraves' and 'Griffin'! ;)

Sorry, I hate mispellings. Thank you for picking up my Brian Fade :D

Ozza
17-06-2015, 12:45 PM

Along with Jackson Macrae (McCrae/MaCrae/McRae/MacRae/Macray/MaCray)

Cyberdoggie
17-06-2015, 12:59 PM
Doesnt look like he handles being pressured all that well. Not a good sign.

Gathers the possessions up at VFL level pretty easily. He really needed to show a bit more attack on the ball in the AFL. Second efforts and desperation were non-existent, and when you come on as the sub and your side is down, you just have to throw yourself in and try and generate a spark, no jogging around looking for handball receives.

Happy Days
17-06-2015, 01:47 PM
Along with Jackson Macrae (McCrae/MaCrae/McRae/MacRae/Macray/MaCray)

Or macrame on the iphone.

Maddog37
17-06-2015, 02:13 PM
I would like to see Morris slot in the pocket and release Murph to the wing or forward.

F'scary
17-06-2015, 08:33 PM
Morris for Webb?

I think Morris will have to play one in the VFL after such a long lay off. Could still be 2 matches away from playing seniors.

bornadog
17-06-2015, 11:59 PM
In: The Bont, Picko

Out: Dale and Jong

Happy Days
18-06-2015, 06:27 PM
Rumour going around that Morris will come straight back in, you would think that means Webb out.

Cyberdoggie
18-06-2015, 07:00 PM
Rumour going around that Morris will come straight back in, you would think that means Webb out.

Not sure it's a very well balanced side with Hamling, Roberts, Roughead, Morris all in the side. Granted Roughead looks to be more of a spare parts man now.

Flamethrower
18-06-2015, 07:27 PM
In - Bont, Picko

Out - Jong, Crameri

Remi Moses
18-06-2015, 07:34 PM
How serious is the Crameri injury ?
Jong out is no surprise

chef
18-06-2015, 07:39 PM
Great ins.

whythelongface
18-06-2015, 07:51 PM
Is that the youngest interchange bench in the history of mankind.

Eastdog
18-06-2015, 08:05 PM
Good inclusions.

comrade
18-06-2015, 08:10 PM
As much as I love Moz, I'm happy he's coming back through Footscray. Sends the right message to the squad, IMO.

Feel sorry for the poor Richmond kid who cops him at at Punt Rd though :D

Rocco Jones
18-06-2015, 08:15 PM
As much as I love Moz, I'm happy he's coming back through Footscray. Sends the right message to the squad, IMO.

Feel sorry for the poor Richmond kid who cops him at at Punt Rd though :D

Totally agree.

Greystache
18-06-2015, 08:15 PM
I'm still concerned about our lack of midfield depth. Too many flankers and part timers. Jong has struggled but I would've liked to see if he could build on last game's second half.

Eastdog
18-06-2015, 08:16 PM
I'm still concerned about our lack of midfield depth. Too many flankers and half forwards. Jong had struggled but I would've liked to see if he could build on last game's second half.

What do you think stache Bevo is thinking with Jong.

F'scary
18-06-2015, 08:55 PM
Just had a pub dinner at Hart's Hotel in Victoria St Footscray. Nice large traditional Aussie pub dining room. Pictures of Ted Whitten on the wall. Sunk a few over a steak. Missus went the vegetarian risotto and the kids did the bolognaise. Publican's wife came over and had a chat. Couple more quiet ones. Very satisfying evening.

Oh, and I like the selections for Saturday's game.

Eastdog
18-06-2015, 08:58 PM
Just had a pub dinner at Hart's Hotel in Victoria St Footscray. Nice large traditional Aussie pub dining room. Pictures of Ted Whitten on the wall. Sunk a few over a steak. Missus went the vegetarian risotto and the kids did the bolognaise. Publican's wife came over and had a chat. Couple more quiet ones. Very satisfying evening.

Oh, and I like the selections for Saturday's game.

That place looks to be a favourites of yours F'scary.

F'scary
18-06-2015, 09:05 PM
That place looks to be a favourites of yours F'scary.

It is, Easty. Don't have to drive and good traditional pub as well.

Maddog37
18-06-2015, 09:10 PM
Talia still in limbo......

comrade
18-06-2015, 09:24 PM
Talia still in limbo......

Struggled in his last VFL hit out, and Hamling/Roberts are both performing.

Really needs to string multiple weeks of great form together before he gets a promotion.

Eastdog
19-06-2015, 12:04 AM
I think with Stuart also the WADA stuff is lingering in the back of his mind.

1eyedog
19-06-2015, 12:59 AM
I'm still concerned about our lack of midfield depth. Too many flankers and part timers. Jong has struggled but I would've liked to see if he could build on last game's second half.

Agreed re. Jong. Where is Honeychurch at?
It's a very young bench.

The Bulldogs Bite
19-06-2015, 02:24 AM

Agreed. Brisbane have some nice midfield in's of their own, too.

I would have brought in Prudden for Dale. Surely time to see if Prudden can offer anything at AFL level, particularly seeing as we're so light on for mids.

bornadog
19-06-2015, 09:48 AM
I think with Stuart also the WADA stuff is lingering in the back of his mind.

You mean Stewart

bornadog
19-06-2015, 09:49 AM
It's a very young bench.

Honey picked for VFL - didn't deserve to be dropped but I guess his injury didn't help.

I would have brought in Prudden for Dale. Surely time to see if Prudden can offer anything at AFL level, particularly seeing as we're so light on for mids.

Has Prudden done enough at VFL level?

Mantis
19-06-2015, 10:58 AM

In looking at their team the only concern is their potential in the midfield and only on the flanks... If we break even around the ball we shouldn't have too much trouble winning this one.

The Bulldogs Bite
19-06-2015, 03:26 PM
Has Prudden done enough at VFL level?

Maybe not based on reports, but I think his case is a little different. Obviously battled injuries up until this point but has had a better run at it this season. We need to see if he can play, his contract is up at year's end IIRC and although the trio of Dale/Webb/McLean are encouraging I'd like to see us put some faith in Josh who - by style - could help us in an area we need it with Libba out/Jong out of form.

lemmon
19-06-2015, 07:06 PM
Maybe not based on reports, but I think his case is a little different. Obviously battled injuries up until this point but has had a better run at it this season. We need to see if he can play, his contract is up at year's end IIRC and although the trio of Dale/Webb/McLean are encouraging I'd like to see us put some faith in Josh who - by style - could help us in an area we need it with Libba out/Jong out of form.

Agree with this, we fed games into Cordy to figure out whether he could cut it so it's probably time we did the same with Josh and someone like Redpath to a lesser extent. I'm not sure he's good enough but is one of the few inside mids currently fit and playing

boydogs
19-06-2015, 07:45 PM

Agree with this, we fed games into Cordy to figure out whether he could cut it so it's probably time we did the same with Josh and someone like Redpath to a lesser extent. I'm not sure he's good enough but is one of the few inside mids currently fit and playing

Cordy was at least BOG in the VFL before he came in

Eastdog
19-06-2015, 08:54 PM
It's a very young bench.

Yes it is quite young. What do you think will be the key match ups for us in this one?

Twodogs
19-06-2015, 10:47 PM
I'd like to see Prudden get a couple of games in the seniors. He's finally getting some continuity in his footy and he has done a lot of the training with senior squad over the last few years so he's up to date with all the game plans and set plays. He's got a fairly mature body after 3(?) preseasons.

There's lots of reasons to give him a run.

Remi Moses
19-06-2015, 11:05 PM
I think Josh is next cab of the rank . Big bodied mid

divvydan
19-06-2015, 11:55 PM
How serious is the Crameri injury ?
Jong out is no surprise

Watched Bevo's presser from earlier today. Said it was a rolled ankle on Wednesday and he could have been right by Sunday (if we played then) but it happened too late in the week to take the chance.