5 - Grant
19 Ward
35 Gaertner
43 O'Keffe
48 Armstorng
63 Joseph
67 Pass

Thoughts?

Can't argue with one and two if Gaertner and Gourdis are still there at 35 to choose from.
Would be pretty perfect I'd reckon.

Bulldog Revolution
22-11-2007, 02:55 PM
Interesting

Grant has obviously been strongly suggested - it will be interesting to see if West Coasts pick is as locked at #3 as everyone suggests

Ward could be the WOOF board sponsored player and sounds a good prospect - could be a great utility

and Gaertner sounds an athletic prospect who could be anything - which appeals to me

That third rounds going to be very interesting for us

This draft really does represent a great opportunity to add some grunt to the list

Bulldog Revolution
22-11-2007, 02:58 PM
Can't argue with one and two if Gaertner and Gourdis are still there at 35 to choose from.
Would be pretty perfect I'd reckon.

I've been wondering if one of Gaertner, Gouridis or Tarrant might be there for that pick

Although I am not convinced Ward will be available at 19 - Sydney seems a likely location to me

Raw Toast
22-11-2007, 03:37 PM
I don't know anything apart from what I've read, but going on that I'd be delighted to get Ward at 19 (think he'll be gone by then), and v happy with Gaertner or Gourdis or probably even Tarrent at 35. Previous drafts haven't had the first two there though.

Notte seems like he might be another who goes earlier than first thought, and Gourdis sounds like he really divides opinions - do some people really only rate him as a rookie draft selection?

Burgan also has North taking Collard with their last pick, and has Melbourne doing the same with Sampi.

Sockeye Salmon
22-11-2007, 03:48 PM
Interestingly he only has 3 clubs passing to give themselves a PSD pick - Carlton, us & Essendon.

He seems fairly sure Carlton are looking at an out-of-contract player. I certainly hope it's not Welsh.

Go_Dogs
22-11-2007, 04:22 PM
If we can get Grant, Ward and Gaertner that would be fantastic, imo.

GVGjr
22-11-2007, 05:11 PM
Interestingly he only has 3 clubs passing to give themselves a PSD pick - Carlton, us & Essendon.

He seems fairly sure Carlton are looking at an out-of-contract player. I certainly hope it's not Welsh.

Carlton are loaded for forwards so I don't think they should or would be interested in him.

bulldogtragic
22-11-2007, 06:24 PM
Would be delighted at something that resembled a draft day like that.

LostDoggy
22-11-2007, 08:39 PM
Would be delighted at something that resembled a draft day like that.

I tend to agree. This looks like what most people want to see although isn't there a school of thought that we should take a tall with the second pick?

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
22-11-2007, 10:08 PM
I tend to agree. This looks like what most people want to see although isn't there a school of thought that we should take a tall with the second pick?

Yes but I guess the overall premise of getting 3 decent tall prospects would still be achieved IF (and I know it's a big if) the draft panned out as Burgan has laid it out, with Grant and Gaertner nabbed with 1st & 3rd round.
For mine the prospect of getting 2 forward prospects and a quality utility in Ward would make all my Xmas's come true...
Hopefully a late pick Clayton special as a ruck prospect and another in the Rookie draft and this would complete a A grade drafting period for us.

LostDoggy
22-11-2007, 10:22 PM
Yes but I guess the overall premise of getting 3 decent tall prospects would still be achieved IF (and I know it's a big if) the draft panned out as Burgan has laid it out, with Grant and Gaertner nabbed with 1st & 3rd round.
For mine the prospect of getting 2 forward prospects and a quality utility in Ward would make all my Xmas's come true...
Hopefully a late pick Clayton special as a ruck prospect and another in the Rookie draft and this would complete a A grade drafting period for us.

We do need to select a ruckman. I like the option of getting Bellchambers at pick 35.

The Bulldogs Bite
22-11-2007, 10:42 PM
In regards to the actual draft itself, I can't see us drafting a ruckmen at 35 if we pick up two KPF's with 5 & 19. Somewhere in the first three picks needs to be a genuine midfielder. Perhaps, if he lasts, Ward is the one for 19. We lack a couple of good running midfielders, so I think it's important to be able to find one or two good prospects in this draft. I think we might pick up a ruck with a late pick, or rookie one.

If we got Grant at 5, Ward or another mid at 19, would it be worth/possible drafting Tarrant at 35? Thus giving us a developing KPF with a lighter built frame (Grant), a prospective mid (Ward? Or?) & a bigger bodied/more ready made KPF (Tarrant).

Personally I wouldn't be interested in Geartner if his foot skills are ordinary. Travis Cloke is a gun but he can't kick; devalues a player incredibly, especially a 'forward'.

I don't know anything at all, purely base my input on what I've only read, but it would seem we may end up with two of Grant/Gourdis/Notte/Tarrant.

Dry Rot
22-11-2007, 11:55 PM
Last two drafts we've had pleasant surprises with first round picks in Higgins & Everritt - one was a gun who fell down to our pick, the other an inspired choice for a tall.

If we're going to be surprised again eg an earlier favoured pick drops to us, who might it be?

LostDoggy
23-11-2007, 02:01 PM
We do need to select a ruckman. I like the option of getting Bellchambers at pick 35.

Hmm, a Tassie boy and our history with players from Tasmania has been poor. He may become another victim of the No35 syndrome.

Not that I am against Tassie because I actually live here. Just that we have selected a few duds ... Wiggins, Wells etc.

Sockeye Salmon
23-11-2007, 02:11 PM
Hmm, a Tassie boy and our history with players from Tasmania has been poor. He may become another victim of the No35 syndrome.

Not that I am against Tassie because I actually live here. Just that we have selected a few duds ... Wiggins, Wells etc.

Davies, Street, Harrison, Rawlings.

Supa Macpherson went alright. So did Alan Rait.

Mantis
23-11-2007, 02:39 PM
What about Michael Martin. I can remember 'Shifter' Sheahan pronouncing when we drafted him that he had the ability to be the best player to ever come out of Tasmania...:eek:

GVGjr
23-11-2007, 03:03 PM
What about Michael Martin. I can remember 'Shifter' Sheahan pronouncing when we drafted him that he had the ability to be the best player to ever come out of Tasmania...:eek:

I think he was actually quoting someone from Tassie's view about him.

Sockeye Salmon
23-11-2007, 03:05 PM

Good get.

"The best player to come out of Tasmania since Baldock". Considering Hudson (there's another Taswegian who played for us) and Hart came out after Baldock, that's a fair build-up.

There's another topic for you - great draft quotes:

"The best player to come out of Tasmania since Baldock"
"He's got a scalpel for a left foot"
"The next Andrew McLeod"

Mantis
23-11-2007, 03:31 PM
There's another topic for you - great draft quotes:

"The best player to come out of Tasmania since Baldock" - Martin
"He's got a scalpel for a left foot" - Sam Power
"The next Andrew McLeod"- Faulkner

Its quite sad actually.... Who will be added to that list tomorrow?

The good thing about last year, besides Everitt, was that no one had heard of them so they couldn't make any outlandish statements about them.

LostDoggy
23-11-2007, 08:54 PM
In regards to the actual draft itself, I can't see us drafting a ruckmen at 35 if we pick up two KPF's with 5 & 19. Somewhere in the first three picks needs to be a genuine midfielder. Perhaps, if he lasts, Ward is the one for 19. We lack a couple of good running midfielders, so I think it's important to be able to find one or two good prospects in this draft. I think we might pick up a ruck with a late pick, or rookie one.

If we got Grant at 5, Ward or another mid at 19, would it be worth/possible drafting Tarrant at 35? Thus giving us a developing KPF with a lighter built frame (Grant), a prospective mid (Ward? Or?) & a bigger bodied/more ready made KPF (Tarrant).

Personally I wouldn't be interested in Geartner if his foot skills are ordinary. Travis Cloke is a gun but he can't kick; devalues a player incredibly, especially a 'forward'.

I don't know anything at all, purely base my input on what I've only read, but it would seem we may end up with two of Grant/Gourdis/Notte/Tarrant.

I agree that it is unlikely that we would draft a ruckman at 35 but we should target one somewhere. Two key forwards with early selection would be a great outcome for us.

LostDoggy
23-11-2007, 09:44 PM
Can anybody please tell me a bit more about these three prospects....

43 O'Keffe
48 Armstorng
63 Joseph

?????????????

GVGjr
23-11-2007, 10:29 PM
Can anybody please tell me a bit more about these three prospects....

43 O'Keffe
48 Armstorng
63 Joseph

?????????????

Have you seen the writes ups on AFL.com?