PDA

View Full Version : Our next 4 weeks after the bye

Eastdog
12-06-2015, 08:32 PM
After our bye this weekend we have after some very winnable matches coming up against the Lions, Saints, Blues and Suns coming up. We could potentially go 9-5 if all goes right and only need a few more wins depending on percentage to make the 8.

How do you see the next few weeks turning out and what would make you satisfied after the next 4 weeks.

comrade
12-06-2015, 08:38 PM
If we're fair dinkum, we'll win all 4 but I expect to drop at least 1. 8 and 6 gives us a shot at finals but I think we'll fall within 9-12.

While I would love to see me some September action, I'm all about embracing the journey this year so I won't be overly disappointed if/when we drop games we should win.

Eastdog
12-06-2015, 08:40 PM
Finals would be great for our young group but it's not like we have any expectations to make them this season.

boydogs
12-06-2015, 10:20 PM
Lions at home should be a cakewalk. The Saints got us once, we should win but it's no certainty. The Blues we should have covered. The Suns in Cairns may be a challenge, they could have a few back by that stage and be a different side to the one we have seen recently

8-6 would be a decent outcome. Then we've got Geelong in Geelong, Collingwood at home, Essendon at home, Port at home, Melbourne at home, West Coast away, North at home and Brisbane away, probably needing to win 5 of the 8 which might be a stretch for a young tiring side

Flamethrower
12-06-2015, 10:27 PM
We could go 4-0, or 0-4....most likely we will split the 4 games (7-7) and end up at 9-13 or 10-12. Add a couple more preseasons and those 4 games will be huge percentage boosters.

Eastdog
13-06-2015, 04:11 PM
Lions at home should be a cakewalk. The Saints got us once, we should win but it's no certainty. The Blues we should have covered. The Suns in Cairns may be a challenge, they could have a few back by that stage and be a different side to the one we have seen recently

8-6 would be a decent outcome. Then we've got Geelong in Geelong, Collingwood at home, Essendon at home, Port at home, Melbourne at home, West Coast away, North at home and Brisbane away, probably needing to win 5 of the 8 which might be a stretch for a young tiring side

8-6 would be a good outcome still remembering where our team is at.

1eyedog
13-06-2015, 04:39 PM
8-6 would be a good outcome still remembering where our team is at.

9-5 would be better and this is what should really happen. We're better than the next 4 teams.

Eastdog
13-06-2015, 04:47 PM
9-5 would be better and this is what should really happen. We're better than the next 4 teams.

Yes it sure would be and you would think right now we would win the next 4 but footy tipping this year has thrown a lot of people.

Jeanette54
13-06-2015, 05:25 PM
I think a lot depends on how funky the match committee want to be with their selections. If we opt to play our best available 22 in all games then I think that a 9-5 win/loss is possible. However if we are going to continue to both blood, rotate and persevere with young players through the team via the selection process, then its anybody's guess where we will end up.

I imagine it will be all up to what the vision for the year is, and what the management deem a successful year to be. It might not be that the number of wins is the defining objective of the year; there may be other deliverables that are considered more important for the future.

bornadog
13-06-2015, 06:07 PM
We need all our good players on the park, otherwise we could end up losing a couple of these. Freo struggled to beat the Suns today and if they get back a few more of their good players, we could struggle up their.

1eyedog
13-06-2015, 06:18 PM
I think a lot depends on how funky the match committee want to be with their selections. If we opt to play our best available 22 in all games then I think that a 9-5 win/loss is possible. However if we are going to continue to both blood, rotate and persevere with young players through the team via the selection process, then its anybody's guess where we will end up.

I imagine it will be all up to what the vision for the year is, and what the management deem a successful year to be. It might not be that the number of wins is the defining objective of the year; there may be other deliverables that are considered more important for the future.

Thing is we have 7-8 spots that are constantly being rotated with 1st / 2nd year players so the MC has no choice but to blood young players. The other issue is deciding which of these young players are in our best 22.

Webb definitely is at this stage and so is Honeychurch IMO. The others are Boyd, Bont, Hrovat, Hamling and I thought Daniel showed very good preseason form. But anyone of Hamilton, Dale, Hunter, McLean, Darley or Biggs can still force their way in and make an impact.

Aside from injuries, our season will be defined by these young players and how (if) they stand up at the pointy end. They'll tire, but if finals look possible we may be amazed at the enthusiasm and exuberance of youth.

whythelongface
13-06-2015, 07:21 PM

Based on this year totally agree, however with all developing teams it is never as easy as form suggests. I would expect us to win 3 of the 4 games and the loss being either Gold Coast and/ or Carlton.

Remi Moses
13-06-2015, 11:23 PM
You couldn't say we're better than a few teams we've beaten this year.
Not pencilling anything in, but we rock up we can win all four .
The problem is a young team doesn't " rock up" every week

Eastdog
14-06-2015, 12:40 AM
You couldn't say we're better than a few teams we've beaten this year.
Not pencilling anything in, but we rock up we can win all four .
The problem is a young team doesn't " rock up" every week

Yep we need to get better with consistency - will get there. I believe we have taken great strides this year.

Maddog37
14-06-2015, 10:50 AM
I think 2-2 might be where we will be. We are fairly up and down and I don't subscribe to the theory we will continually improve this year. I hope to be pleasantly surprised though.

Eastdog
14-06-2015, 06:10 PM
I think 2-2 might be where we will be. We are fairly up and down and I don't subscribe to the theory we will continually improve this year. I hope to be pleasantly surprised though.

7-7 still wouldn't be bad it depends where those teams are at when we play them. As I've said its hard to predict how will go and could go either way.

Here are our games:

Brisbane ES (H)
St. Kilda ES A)
Carlton ES (H)
Gold Coast CS (H)
Geelong SS (H)
Collingwood ES (H)
Essendon ES (A)
Port Adelaide ES (H)
Melbourne ES (H)
West Coast DS (A)
North Melbourne ES (A)
Brisbane G (A)

Ozza
15-06-2015, 12:57 PM
Obviously we all want to win the 4 games, and in each game we should be going in expecting to win.

But given how even the competition is, and how it only takes being 'off' a couple of percent can cost you dearly;

I must admit I would probably take 3-1 in the next 4 if you offered it to me now. As long as we don't lose to Carlton.

8-6 going into a run of roughly 50/50 type matches where we are realistic chances against Geelong, Collingwood, Essendon and Port at home would be a pretty good spot. Would probably 'take' 10-8 after round 19.

whythelongface
12-07-2015, 10:20 PM
4 games and we came through unscathed, not without difficulty but we were able to gain maximum points. A great effort from such a young squad particularly being strong favourites in each of the games. This is most pleasing and a huge tick in the development of the squad.

merantau
12-07-2015, 11:35 PM
4 games and we came through unscathed, not without difficulty but we were able to gain maximum points. A great effort from such a young squad particularly being strong favourites in each of the games. This is most pleasing and a huge tick in the development of the squad.
Couldn't agree more. Dropping games we were expected to win has been a huge issue for us over the years and, indeed, we saw it a few weeks ago with the losses to St. Kilda and Melbourne. I really hope that this squad is going to condemn that trait to the dustbin of history.

ratsmac
13-07-2015, 12:25 AM
It was a good read going through everybody's predictions. We have exceeded most expectations. Such positive signs. We have a tougher run coming up so its going to be an interesting ride.