PDA

View Full Version : EJ Whitten Special - Foxtel 9.30 Monday Night

bulldogtragic
13-06-2015, 08:57 PM
For those with Foxtel, or have a quiet pub, there's a special Open Mike at 9.30pm on Monday Night celebrating the life and career of Mr Football 20 years after he left us.

Eastdog
13-06-2015, 09:13 PM
Yep I might tune in and have a look. Gee its almost been 20 years since the great man passed.

Twodogs
13-06-2015, 10:30 PM
I don't have Foxtel but iit sounds good.

Jeanette54
13-06-2015, 11:02 PM
I am so looking forward to seeing it. Hopefully we will get to see some footage which is not quite so well known as the ones they show regularly.

Those too young to remember should make a special point in watching it. For us Ted was a real live super hero, who did amazing things every time he took the field; but he was always one of us. His true gift to Footscray.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
14-06-2015, 09:50 AM
Just watching the promos has me in tears. I used to wish Ted was my father. He always said hello to us urchins hanging around the ground

F'scary
14-06-2015, 03:12 PM
Always remember the last great era of interstate footy. State of Origin in the 80's. Ted was the coach. What a showman! He created so much interest in those matches.

Twodogs
14-06-2015, 03:26 PM
Always remember the last great era of interstate footy. State of Origin in the 80's. Ted was the coach. What a showman! He created so much interest in those matches.

Teddy was the Chairman of Selectors, Chief Cook and Bottle Washer! But he wasn't coach. It was usually the reigning premiership coach or Kevin Sheedy. I think Rod Austin was Full time SOO coach for a couple of years too.

AndrewP6
14-06-2015, 03:52 PM
My dad used to walk to work with Ted. Dad would buy a pie and Coke, Ted would buy two pies and two Cokes! Ted, for a time, worked as groundskeeper at the oval, and his idea of upkeep was to turn the sprinkler on and go and sunbathe! Dad passed away just months after EJ, from cancer too. I'll be watching that show.

F'scary
14-06-2015, 04:12 PM
Teddy was the Chairman of Selectors, Chief Cook and Bottle Washer! But he wasn't coach. It was usually the reigning premiership coach or Kevin Sheedy. I think Rod Austin was Full time SOO coach for a couple of years too.

Fair enough but the thrust of my comment still stands.

Twodogs
14-06-2015, 04:26 PM
Fair enough but the thrust of my comment still stands.

Yep. Ted was the main man when it came to State of Origin football.

bulldogtragic
14-06-2015, 05:28 PM
Whether it's SOO or something else, I miss a genuine representative game of the best players in super squads. The Lockett and Ablett combo for Victoria was awesome fun to watch and support, blokes like Lyon off a flank and Stevens and Whiskers in the guts. I hope like 92% of the AFL PA's members (players) that one day we could see a showcase game of the best players even if it was the last pre season game.

chef
14-06-2015, 06:12 PM
Feels like yesterday. Must be getting old;)

Eastdog
14-06-2015, 06:15 PM
Yep. Ted was the main man when it came to State of Origin football.

He was a huge advocate for it and loved it.

Ozza
15-06-2015, 10:26 AM
Very happy to have been there the day he did his lap around the ground before the Vic/SA game just before he passed. And I was also fortunate enough to miss a day of year 7 to attend his funeral. Looking forward to watching the show. I don't have foxtel - but the Open Mike episodes all end up on youtube in their entirety within a day or so of going to air - so will likely watch via the net if I don't watch at a mates place.

Scraggers
15-06-2015, 11:56 AM
I used to work at Adidas in Ferntree Gully in the late 80s; I had the pleasure of catching up with EJ every week to talk all things Bulldog. When he passed I had only just started going out with my girlfriend; her dad laughed at me for shedding a tear. We have now been married for 15 years and have two kids ... I can't believe its been twenty years since the great man passed !! My son has the initials EJ (Elijah John) in his honour. I will most definitely be watching tonight, and am sure to shed another tear !!

Twodogs
15-06-2015, 12:50 PM
When I was a kid I was at Whitten Oval during school holidays having a kick and waiting for training to start. Charlie Sutton and Ted were standing about 30 or 40 metres away looking intently at a folder Teddy was holding. After a bit the ball was kicked over my head and went bouncing toward Ted and Charlie. I turned around and yelled "excuse me mister, can I have the ball back please?" As the ball bounced toward them and without even looking up from the folder he and Charlie were looking at Ted just flicked his right foot at the ball and the bloody thing flew at me like a tracer bullet. The force of it knocked me over and as I was picking myself up I heard Charlie say to Ted "Good one, EJ. You've still got it old son"

bulldogtragic
15-06-2015, 01:08 PM
Growing up I was told to do a lot of things like EJ does. My nan in particular thinks he's a god. In particular I still recall that when you shake hands with people, you do it like EJ. Look them in the eyes and squeeze as hard as you bloody well can. I'm not sure why that one EJ-ism stuck with me in particular but it has.

bulldogtragic
15-06-2015, 10:49 PM
Teared up already.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
15-06-2015, 10:52 PM
More hankies required stat

Eastdog
15-06-2015, 11:00 PM
Teared up already.

Me too BT.

AndrewP6
15-06-2015, 11:02 PM
I lasted 5 minutes. It gets me EVERY SINGLE TIME. My dad passed in November of that same year, makes it doubly hard!

bulldogtragic
15-06-2015, 11:04 PM
I lasted 5 minutes. It gets me EVERY SINGLE TIME. My dad passed in November of that same year, makes it doubly hard!

Chin up Andrew. I've got the record from the game which is water logged. Not sure if it was the late rain or tears right about now.

GVGjr
15-06-2015, 11:35 PM
Mike Sheehan should be congratulated for tonight's show. A fitting tribute to EJ Whitten

Eastdog
16-06-2015, 01:34 AM
Thoroughly enjoyed that documentary. I feel so proud to be part of this club.

Remi Moses
16-06-2015, 03:14 AM
Mike's had two great "open Mike" episodes in succession .
It reminded me of one of those ESPN 30 for 30 docos

bornadog
16-06-2015, 10:02 AM
Mike Sheehan should be congratulated for tonight's show. A fitting tribute to EJ Whitten

It was well done, and very enjoyable. EJ was a real character, something that has now disappeared from professional sports.

Cyberdoggie
16-06-2015, 01:03 PM
I'm guessing I shouldn't watch this while eating lunch at my desk at work today judging by the reactions here.
I guess I could just blame this cold I have if the waterworks start flowing.

Bulldog4life
16-06-2015, 02:56 PM
Teared up from start to finish. Champion player and a great showman on and off the field. E.J is the best player than I have ever seen by a mile. Could play any position on the ground and kicked like a mule. Imagine him under the roof at Etihad! The true Mr. Football.

The Bulldogs Bite
16-06-2015, 06:05 PM
Great doco.

Mike does a terrific job.

bornadog
16-06-2015, 06:10 PM
For those who missed it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJlinWXF3VM

FrediKanoute
16-06-2015, 07:34 PM
I managed to what about half of it on the way into work this morning.....almost was a bubbling mess.

Is it just me or was 1995 the highpoint in AFL? The game was just going full professional, the players were still characters and not media robots. There would be very, very, few players now who would be as free and passionate.

Eastdog
16-06-2015, 07:42 PM
Do any woofers think EJ fits the criteria to have a statue at the MCG?

Twodogs
16-06-2015, 08:38 PM

He's already got two statues. One at Whitten Oval and one outside the Braybrook Hotel.

Three's a charm. Is that criteria enough?

FrediKanoute
16-06-2015, 08:38 PM

No...He is ours and that's the way I like it.

comrade
16-06-2015, 08:50 PM
"How ya goin Ted?"
"Hey knackers!"

:D

Scraggers
16-06-2015, 08:50 PM
It took me over three hours to watch that show. I had tears streaming down my face !!

All the time through my head these words kept repeating ... Bring Back State Of Origin Footy !!!

comrade
16-06-2015, 08:54 PM
Walking to the ground before his last game:

"Well, Ted, how does it feel walking down this lane approaching your last game?"
"It feels bloody awful, David, I don't feel very happy about it at all"

Classic.

bulldogtragic
16-06-2015, 08:54 PM
It took me over three hours to watch that show. I had tears streaming down my face !!

All the time through my head these words kept repeating ... Bring Back State Of Origin Footy !!!

Yes! The players want it and I think fans would support it. I would.

Eastdog
16-06-2015, 08:55 PM
No...He is ours and that's the way I like it.

I like that too. There are other greats who don't have a statue at the MCG.

Eastdog
16-06-2015, 08:56 PM
Yes! The players want it and I think fans would support it. I would.

Unfortunately I don't think people would be to keen on State of Origin today. Injury concerns for all players involved. Was great I heard back in the 80s.

F'scary
16-06-2015, 08:59 PM
Unfortunately I don't think people would be to keen on State of Origin today. Injury concerns for all players involved. Was great I heard back in the 80s.

Look at it this way, Easty. SOO used to pull 80,000 to 100,000 to the MCG back in the 80's for a match vs SA or WA.

Eastdog
16-06-2015, 09:01 PM
Look at it this way, Easty. SOO used to pull 80,000 to 100,000 to the MCG back in the 80's for a match vs SA or WA.

Great crowds. How many do you reckon F'scary would it pull in today though at the G?

bulldogtragic
16-06-2015, 09:02 PM
"How ya goin Ted?"
"Hey knackers!"

:D

That's seriously going back into my vocabulary. :)

comrade
16-06-2015, 09:04 PM
As much as it would be cool to see the best of the best take on each other, I'd be devastated if Bonti or Stringer (or Dahl or Macrae or Boyd or Libba...so many guns!) copped a season ending injury that may harm our flag chances.

That said, once we win a flag, bring back the big V!

F'scary
16-06-2015, 09:06 PM
Great crowds. How many do you reckon F'scary would it pull in today though at the G?

I don't know, mate, I just don't know, it's all changed. Ted Whitten was a big part of the success. He would play the media for weeks leading up to a match. He was able to command the absolute attention and commitment of all involved and the public lapped it up as witnessed by the massive turnouts at the 'G'.

Eastdog
16-06-2015, 09:07 PM
I don't know, mate, I just don't know, it's all changed. Ted Whitten was a big part of the success. He would play the media for weeks leading up to a match. He was able to command the absolute attention and commitment of all involved and the public lapped it up as witnessed by the massive turnouts at the 'G'.

After Ted passed SOO really fizzled out.

bulldogtragic
16-06-2015, 09:07 PM

70,000 People in Melbourne tomorrow night say otherwise at SOO. 92% of AFL players want representative footy back too. The best players in the comp playing the best players in the comp is awesome stuff. You can get injured at training, it's a timing issue. I think a week or two before opening round 1 would work all round.

Webby
16-06-2015, 09:20 PM

"Well, Ted, how does it feel walking down this lane approaching your last game?"

Classic.

Does anyone recognise what street that was? Was it West Footscray down south of the station, or was it Errol Street, or was it more Liverpool street to the north of the ground??

comrade
16-06-2015, 09:23 PM
Just finished watching it.

I'm in my late 20s and Dougie was my first true Bulldogs love. You could feel his pain of missing EJs lap of the MCG and the regret of not seeing him towards the end of the illness. Heartwrenching stuff.

Super impressed with Ted Jr. Really inspirational man who has helped build upon his father's legacy.

Bulldog4life
16-06-2015, 10:06 PM

Classic.

Teddy didn't have a choice. Was told by the Club that if he wanted to continue as coach, once he broke Dick Reynold's games record he had to retire. Not happy Jan.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
16-06-2015, 10:08 PM
I thought it was the lane off Hocking St

AndrewP6
16-06-2015, 10:13 PM
That's seriously going back into my vocabulary. :)

Hasn't gone out of mine!

bulldogtragic
16-06-2015, 10:15 PM
Hasn't gone out of mine!

Good for you, knackers. :)

The Underdog
16-06-2015, 10:55 PM

They got 92000 to the G in '89 partially because we hadn't played State of Origin at the G for years. Vic played all of their SOO games in Adelaide or Perth in the years between 80 and 89.
3 years later there were 32,000 for a game against WA at the G, with no game having been played in Victoria in the intervening years.
This was followed by 32000 again the following year vs SA.

They got 65000 in 95 for EJ's lap. , the following year was 35000 vs "The Allies".
In 99 they got 26000 for a game vs SA and by then it was dead in the water.

Aside from 89, the demand for it in Victoria was seriously over rated. I have great memories of it in the 80's as a kid but I don't see it being something with staying power if they bring it back.

jeemak
16-06-2015, 11:19 PM
So it was the thought of my mother and my father, moving across from the west to the east with a chip on their shoulders that could only be justified by the things Ted stood up against that got me crying having watched that.

His death was horrible, his legacy as a footballer was great. His ability to make folk like my mother and father walk proud is what he really stood for.

Webby
16-06-2015, 11:26 PM
The '83-'87 era of SOO was the pinnacle. Ablett's performance at Subiaco in '84 was outstanding. Kernahan was brilliant in one of them, too. There were a couple of games between Vic and WA that were sensational.

At home, WA and SA were hard to beat, yet in Vic, we were generally far too good. The VFL becoming the AFL killed state footy - nothing else.

I remember disliking the Swans and Eagles far more than Essendon, Carlton and Collingwood 25 years ago. However, as the AFL has progressed, I'm becoming more like the European football fan who dislikes his local rivals far more than the interstaters.

That just means that the state lines are blurred. There's no longer the Shelbieville-Springfield thing happening. Vic versus the rest is the closest thing to an All Star game that we could get, but no one from outside Vic will care.

Unfortunately, State of Origin Footy has gone the way of Fitzroy!

bornadog
16-06-2015, 11:37 PM
Just finished watching it.

I'm in my late 20s and Dougie was my first true Bulldogs love. You could feel his pain of missing EJs lap of the MCG and the regret of not seeing him towards the end of the illness. Heartwrenching stuff.

Super impressed with Ted Jr. Really inspirational man who has helped build upon his father's legacy.

Don't understand why Dougie wouldn't go and see EJ when he was sick or at the MCG that day.

AndrewP6
16-06-2015, 11:45 PM
Don't understand why Dougie wouldn't go and see EJ when he was sick or at the MCG that day.

He said Ted had told him he probably wouldn't be able to get to the ground, and he didn't want to see him sick, he wanted to remember him when he was at his best.

bornadog
16-06-2015, 11:50 PM
He said Ted had told him he probably wouldn't be able to get to the ground, and he didn't want to see him sick, he wanted to remember him when he was at his best.

Personally I find that weak.

bulldogtragic
17-06-2015, 12:04 AM

People deal with fear, grief and mortality differently. I think if had has time again he might make a different call. I also think Teddy would have loved a visit though.

jeemak
17-06-2015, 12:29 AM
Hierarchy of grief, independent coping mechanisms and sheer bloody mindedness all make the death process a more ridiculous process than it should be.

Doug's no better or worse than the rest of us.

Maddog37
17-06-2015, 02:40 PM

How very macho of you BAD!

Remi Moses
17-06-2015, 02:51 PM
State of origin will never come back, but we get the yearly noise about it .
Basically the national comp ended it and the clubs will pull their key players pre game .

bornadog
17-06-2015, 03:07 PM
How very macho of you BAD!

Nothing to do with macho, its called respect.

always right
17-06-2015, 03:41 PM
Nothing to do with macho, its called respect.

Perhaps you might discover some for a bloke who was very close to EJ and clearly struggled with the whole situation. If only life was as simple as you suggest.

ledge
17-06-2015, 04:01 PM
Not weak at all, he was told by Ted jr that EJ wasn't going to do the lap so he had no reason to be there.
He wasn't playing took his family on a holiday that's normal, I think a lot of people didn't realise how sick Ted really was until that day, remember he had only just had the stroke that did all the damage.
It's ok to look back but at the time you don't know what's happening or what's going to happen.

LostDoggy
17-06-2015, 06:22 PM
I feel for Dougie.
You could see that he was visably upset and regretted missing seeing EJ @ the "G" that day.
Hindsight is a great thing,if only we could all have it.

GVGjr
17-06-2015, 07:11 PM

I know this is your personal view but as BT pointed out, many people deal with things differently. I thought it was brave of Dougie to mention it as being a regret of his.

SonofScray
17-06-2015, 07:22 PM
Just finished watching it. Was in tears almost the time. To our detriment, it is hard to fathom anyone ever again having that sort of appeal across their lifespan and such an iconic legacy as EJ had ever again. How many people have the absolute stars in their field bow to them? A street, stadium, two statues, a medal, a trophy etc. it's amazing when you think about it.

Interesting to hear some of the greats insist he was in fact the best. Loved the Mrs Football comments, I got the impression that cut close to the bone, ha!

ledge
17-06-2015, 08:09 PM
Just finished watching it. Was in tears almost the time. To our detriment, it is hard to fathom anyone ever again having that sort of appeal across their lifespan and such an iconic legacy as EJ had ever again. How many people have the absolute stars in their field bow to them? A street, stadium, two statues, a medal, a trophy etc. it's amazing when you think about it.

Interesting to hear some of the greats insist he was in fact the best. Loved the Mrs Football comments, I got the impression that cut close to the bone, ha!

And a bridge

Twodogs
17-06-2015, 09:08 PM

Interesting to hear some of the greats insist he was in fact the best. Loved the Mrs Football comments, I got the impression that cut close to the bone, ha!i

And a bridge

And the Foundation.

Twodogs
17-06-2015, 09:09 PM
And Collingwood turned him away.

Remi Moses
18-06-2015, 03:23 AM
You could tell by the look in Doug's eyes it was a big regret.
People deal with sickness and grief differently, and Doug truly loved EJ.

bulldogtragic
18-06-2015, 09:54 AM
Watching the replay again, how good was the footage of him protecting 'his boys'. 5 on 1 against a teammate and EJ runs in and sent them all packing (legally, but hard) and grabs his teammate and puts his arm around and picks him up. I can't say I've seen that kind of thing in the modern day, despite it being fair conduct. Like a father with a besieged son, more than a captain of a footballer.

It must have been great knowing when the opposition ramped the heat up, EJ would always be there for you.

comrade
18-06-2015, 10:46 AM
Watching the replay again, how good was the footage of him protecting 'his boys'. 5 on 1 against a teammate and EJ runs in and sent them all packing (legally, but hard) and grabs his teammate and puts his arm around and picks him up. I can't say I've seen that kind of thing in the modern day, despite it being fair conduct. Like a father with a besieged son, more than a captain of a footballer.

It must have been great knowing when the opposition ramped the heat up, EJ would always be there for you.

EJ protected the boys.

Charlie protected EJ.

craigsahibee
18-06-2015, 11:58 AM
Watched it last night but I might have to watch it again because I couldn't see properly.

I forgot that he was only 62 when he passed. I remember lying in bed watching the footy show when news broke of Ted's passing and I was gutted. I am too young to have seen him play but I was so proud that Mr Football was first and foremost one of ours.

I have mentioned it on here before, and I will self indulge one more time. Before the start of the 1983 Season the club held a family day as part of the Club's Centenary Celebrations. On this day, members of the '54 Premiership side played the '61 Grand Final team in an exhibition game. I was out on the ground with my cousin having a kick when Ted led the '54 team out for their warm up jog around the centre square. They didn't have a footy with them to kick around and Ted and the team were running towards us and he called out "son" and put his hands out in the fashion to mark the footy. I duly obliged by hitting him lace out on the chest from about 20 metres with a kick that Dougie would have been proud of. To this day, it is still one of my great memories.

Twodogs
18-06-2015, 12:49 PM
Watched it last night but I might have to watch it again because I couldn't see properly.

I forgot that he was only 62 when he passed. I remember lying in bed watching the footy show when news broke of Ted's passing and I was gutted. I am too young to have seen him play but I was so proud that Mr Football was first and foremost one of ours.

I have mentioned it on here before, and I will self indulge one more time. Before the start of the 1983 Season the club held a family day as part of the Club's Centenary Celebrations. On this day, members of the '54 Premiership side played the '61 Grand Final team in an exhibition game. I was out on the ground with my cousin having a kick when Ted led the '54 team out for their warm up jog around the centre square. They didn't have a footy with them to kick around and Ted and the team were running towards us and he called out "son" and put his hands out in the fashion to mark the footy. I duly obliged by hitting him lace out on the chest from about 20 metres with a kick that Dougie would have been proud of. To this day, it is still one of my great memories.

That is just awesome. Hitting EJ on the lead would have been the highlight of my life.

bornadog
18-06-2015, 12:50 PM

Great memory. The only time I spoke to Ted was going down the stairs from the can bar:D and Ted was coming up to do his media stint.

As a kid I had the number 3 on my back and my Teddy Whitten footy boots.

Twodogs
18-06-2015, 12:58 PM
I think the thing that sticks with me is John Schultz, Brownlow medalist, All Australian, wearer of the Big Vee, multiple club B & F winner being quite happy to identify himself simply as someone who "played with Ted Whitten"

That said it all.

WBFC4FFC
18-06-2015, 05:33 PM
I never saw any of that Lap of Honour before. Knew of it but never saw it.

Thought the best bit of the whole show was EJ Jnr confirming that when he told Ted they were in front of the Members and Ted proceeded to give them the arm-gesture! Well-played.

PS: Also, how good was Ted Jnr on the day doing the Lap of Honour? Has true qualities to be able to that and keep himself together!

PPS: How good a player was Ted Jnr? He played State Footy from what I read. I know he did a knee that cut his career short but you do not fluke 144 games.

bornadog
18-06-2015, 05:39 PM
PPS: How good a player was Ted Jnr? He played State Footy from what I read. I know he did a knee that cut his career short but you do not fluke 144 games.

He was very talented and a pretty good player in his day. Shame he did the knee.

Hotdog60
18-06-2015, 06:38 PM
From memory he had a stab pass that would just about cut someone in half.

Bulldog4life
18-06-2015, 07:17 PM
From memory he had a stab pass that would just about cut someone in half.

I remember when Ted jnr was a 15 year old Bobby Davis said he was the best kick as a junior that he had even seen

F'scary
18-06-2015, 08:46 PM
Great memory. The only time I spoke to Ted was going down the stairs from the can bar:D and Ted was coming up to do his media stint.

As a kid I had the number 3 on my back and my Teddy Whitten footy boots.

You were going to the can bar and you were only 3?

ledge
18-06-2015, 09:24 PM
Kelvin Templeton had a lot of good delivery from Ted JNr, JNr could play don't worry about that.

bulldogtragic
18-06-2015, 09:25 PM
It's a shame Jnr's boys weren't up to the level to be recruited. It would be an awesome blood line to have back on the playing list.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
18-06-2015, 09:28 PM
Underrated indeed. Tough, good kick, pretty quick

Twodogs
18-06-2015, 10:17 PM
Ted jr played for Victoria. He was no slouch.

bulldogtragic
18-06-2015, 10:22 PM
Ted jr played for Victoria. He was no slouch.

great word slouch, not used enough... "I'm no slouch myself". "Don't sell yourself short Judge, you're a tremendous slouch."

craigsahibee
19-06-2015, 11:56 AM
Simon Beasley might have kicked 800 goals if Ted Jnr hadn't been cut down when he was. Either foot, his skills were sublime. Blew his knee out in a practice match against Collingwood before the The Sun All-Stars v Carlton which was a fundraiser for the Ash Wednesday Bushfires of '83. The surgeon said the extent of Ted's injury was like the result of a car crash.

Twodogs
19-06-2015, 12:26 PM
Simon Beasley might have kicked 800 goals if Ted Jnr hadn't been cut down when he was. Either foot, his skills were sublime. Blew his knee out in a practice match against Collingwood before the The Sun All-Stars v Carlton which was a fundraiser for the Ash Wednesday Bushfires of '83. The surgeon said the extent of Ted's injury was like the result of a car crash.

IIRC Australian Crawl played that day at Waverly between the games.

craigsahibee
19-06-2015, 12:46 PM
Yes they did too. Forgot about that

Twodogs
19-06-2015, 01:36 PM
Yes they did too. Forgot about that

I can't remember if we beat the pies or not but I remember Super punched that Collingwood player.