PDA

View Full Version : My neighbour is on the Kool-Aid.

Dancin' Douggy
15-06-2015, 07:30 PM
I have this fantastic neighbour called Ray.
Absolute gem. Salt of the earth, generational Flemington local and (fair enough) Bomber supporter.

Ray is a staunch labour man, and very community minded.
Like this for example. When I first moved in to my house, I did some serious renovations for which I had no council permit. (Moonee valley council is notoriously slow and I couldn't wait, I was living with my mother in law with kids as well). Nothing ridiculous like extra storeys, just basically demolishing and then rebuilding the back half of the house which was decrepit.
Despite being closely involved with local council he made sure I had no problems. (my reno work was very simple and considerate). Made sure he never let council type visitors out the back and never took them down the side path. Just nice gestures like that. Lent me his tools etc. Dropped in to see how I was going. Loved a yarn.

Not only that. We used to love talking footy and he'd pull the foxtel cable out of the back of his TV. Put it over the back fence, through our side window and into the back of my TV so I could watch the Bulldogs games live on foxtel.

But since the whole James Hird scandal erupted I've instinctively avoided talking footy with him. I don't know, maybe I had a sixth sense about it.

But finally, the inevitable discussion happened.

So..........in a nutshell.

The AFL were just about to give James and Tania 9 million dollars in a secret payout but on the SAME DAY the wada announcement came through and the AFL pulled out.

Essendon gave asada EVERYTHING. All the computers, books, records etc. And ASADA LOST THEM ALL

He wants Hird sacked because he thinks he can't coach,
but wants the club to keep him ON PRINCIPLE!!!

I kept trying to steer the conversation back to on field stuff like recruitment, for example, and questioned whether it was the right thing to target Cooney. I couldn't convince him that Messendon had given up more than pick 67 for him.

Ray....oh sweet, generous Ray..where do we go from here..............?

bulldogtragic
15-06-2015, 07:33 PM
Talk about the weather? :)

Twodogs
15-06-2015, 08:21 PM
Essendon and their supporters have always been wackos. We used to stand behind them at Etihad and deliberately mix Lllooyydddyyuy and HIiiirrrdddyyyy up and they'd get sucked into an argument every year.

Maddog37
15-06-2015, 09:02 PM
So why were the AFL going to give them $9 mil? Or is that something only a bombre fan would understand.........

Ghost Dog
15-06-2015, 09:14 PM
Dancin Douggy, are you a journo on the side? Well written, and gave me a laugh.
I've been at a few uncomfortable suburban parties with Essendon fans, tip-toeing through the small talk, while they sip their beers in the Essendon jumpers.

I think it was Grestache who wrote about the suffering of the ordinary Essendon supporter. People like us who just want to enjoy the footy - working people.

hujsh
15-06-2015, 09:39 PM
Talk about Carlton?

Remi Moses
16-06-2015, 03:21 AM
Most bombers I know want him gone, and in fact one wanted him out as soon as the scandal broke.
There is a fair proportion that want him gone, then there is the feral groupie types.
I want him to stay now because he can't coach .
They are in a world of hurt list wise

Remi Moses
16-06-2015, 05:38 AM
I argued with a chap from work ( should never have broached the subject) they play the victim card well

ledge
16-06-2015, 06:32 AM
What about the stand by Hird cards and hash tags, how stupid do those people look now ?
Saw some blokes comments the other day About Hird will get them in finals and he is a great coach , my next comment was what do you base that statement on? I got no reply but plenty of back up..
Anyone remember Jim Jones and blind followers ?

Eastdog
16-06-2015, 08:24 PM
Interesting thread. Would be cool to hear some cool neighbour stories from woofers :)

jeemak
16-06-2015, 10:00 PM
Interesting that our "New Posts" for me today have been dominated by EFC related threads. One could easily be forgiven for thinking we have a comple..........

comrade
16-06-2015, 10:05 PM
Interesting that our "New Posts" for me today have been dominated by EFC related threads. One could easily be forgiven for thinking we have a comple..........

Complete disdain for all things EFC? Yeah, I agree...

Ghost Dog
16-06-2015, 11:04 PM
Complete disdain for all things EFC? Yeah, I agree...

I don't dislike the Essendon footy club. I dislike the ego-maniacs who have hijacked it for their own ends.
'Whatever it takes' pretty much sums it up.

Twodogs
16-06-2015, 11:31 PM
I don't dislike the Essendon footy club. I dislike the ego-maniacs who have hijacked it for their own ends.
'Whatever it takes' pretty much sums it up.

I hate the bastards.

Dancin' Douggy
17-06-2015, 10:20 AM
Dancin Douggy, are you a journo on the side? Well written, and gave me a laugh.
I've been at a few uncomfortable suburban parties with Essendon fans, tip-toeing through the small talk, while they sip their beers in the Essendon jumpers.

I think it was Grestache who wrote about the suffering of the ordinary Essendon supporter. People like us who just want to enjoy the footy - working people.

No Ghost dog, not a journo, but I do like writing I guess. In fact that's one of the things I love about woof. It's generally a pretty high standard of discussion.

1eyedog
17-06-2015, 11:05 AM
I think the fact that he has to live with himself as an Essendon supporter is punishment enough DD. Rational discussion is simply not an option for the majority of them, just don't bother. As for you, considering he's a pretty good bloke I'm sure he could handle something along the lines of '...ah mate the football media is flooded with this stuff and who really knows what happened let's talk about in what position and where Jake Carlisle is going to play next year'.