PDA

View Full Version : Picken :- Two more

Scraggers
17-06-2015, 06:18 PM
Liam Picken has signed on for two more years

Link (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-06-17/two-more-years-picken-stays-in-kennel-)

bulldogtragic
17-06-2015, 06:19 PM
Good and WOW. 2 years is a massive show of faith in him. Fair reward in deed.

bornadog
17-06-2015, 06:26 PM
Love Picken, gives his all for the club and his team mates.

LostDoggy
17-06-2015, 06:31 PM

Pickers is the Libba Snr of our current crop.
Bleeds for the club and can never be doubted about what he brings each week on game day.
Hard as a cats head and as tough as nails.

Twodogs
17-06-2015, 06:59 PM
Here comes Liam.

GVGjr
17-06-2015, 07:07 PM
I'd say he is very close to career best form and I'm delighted to hear he will be a one club player. He has more than answered the challenges many of us were asking at the start of the year.

Eastdog
17-06-2015, 07:09 PM
Excellent News!

bulldogtragic
17-06-2015, 07:10 PM
I don't think its a great idea to take all the old boys into next year. Picken and Bob have signed. Interesting to see about Boyd and Morris, both players who have talented kids knocking down the door.

Ghost Dog
17-06-2015, 07:11 PM
Well, having come up through Willy, if he keeps this up for at least another year, it will have been a grand period of service to the club.

GVGjr
17-06-2015, 07:17 PM
I don't think its a great idea to take all the old boys into next year. Picken and Bob have signed. Interesting to see about Boyd and Morris, both players who have talented kids knocking down the door.

I get where you are coming from but if players are in near best form like Murphy and Picken and they are earning their spots then it's a very hard decision to delist them just because they don't meet a certain age profile. Boyd has also proven many wrong and it remains to be seen how Morris comes back.

I'm not sure we have as many younger players knocking the door down as a lot of people think.

SlimPickens
17-06-2015, 07:25 PM
Good and WOW. 2 years is a massive show of faith in him. Fair reward in deed.

First bloke picked each week. No faith required, they just know :)

azabob
17-06-2015, 07:26 PM
I'd say he is very close to career best form and I'm delighted to hear he will be a one club player. He has more than answered the challenges many of us were asking at the start of the year.

Agree GVGjr. I'd actually say it is career best form.

It is great to see him utilise his flair and play on instinct.

Being seen as such a dour player in previous seasons we only got to see his flashes of skill and flair.

Now he is doing it more consistently whilst still keeping his hard edge.

Ultimate team man.

Maddog37
17-06-2015, 07:39 PM
His skills are improved. His fitness is top shelf. His effort is always there. He kicks goals. He can tag if needed. What's not to like??

In regards to keeping all of the old guys I reckon that we can hold on to them as we don't gave many 24-27 year olds at the club so these old guys need to stay longer to help balance the books.

Greystache
17-06-2015, 07:39 PM

Picken's 28, he's at the peak of his career. He's hardly an oldie BT

GVGjr
17-06-2015, 07:44 PM

And he is one of just 5 players on our list that have played 100 games.

bulldogtragic
17-06-2015, 07:50 PM

Touché Rick. For some reason I thought he was 30 or more. It seems like he's been around forever, in a really good way. I'm not knocking him, I like the decision.

ratsmac
17-06-2015, 08:14 PM
Ya gotta luv Pickers! I'm so happy to see Liam get 2 more years. Well deserved. His importance to the team showed against Port. His absence hurt us.

Eastdog
17-06-2015, 08:29 PM

Agree there BAD.

Twodogs
17-06-2015, 09:05 PM
I get where you are coming from but if players are in near best form like Murphy and Picken and they are earning their spots then it's a very hard decision to delist them just because they don't meet a certain age profile. Boyd has also proven many wrong and it remains to be seen how Morris comes back.

I'm not sure we have as many younger players knocking the door down as a lot of people think.

Yep. I wouldn't be in a rush to delist players who have actually improved this year.

josie
17-06-2015, 09:53 PM
My favourite player. Great for club & Liam he is in career best form. Read article somewhere that he has double degree too so a smart lad too. Quiet achiever on and off field. He typifies for me the bulldog spirit. If you ever hear a nutter cheer squad member yell out "Luv ya Picken" or "Luv ya Liam" it's likely to be me.

FrediKanoute
17-06-2015, 11:22 PM

Agree. If they get displaced because a younger guy is banging down the door so be it, but at this stage they are both best 22.

Ozza
18-06-2015, 09:50 AM
Almost a no brainer to give Picko another 2 years. I don't recall him ever being dropped by any of the 3 coaches he has had at the dogs. As Slimpickens said, one of the first picked and he has been huge again for us this year - and I would dare say we've gotten amazing value for money out of Liam over the journey in his 7 seasons.

I think we really missed him against Port Adelaide, great athlete that can continue to push himself for repeat ferocious efforts all day.

Good news.

G-Mo77
18-06-2015, 10:23 AM
Great news. Well deserved extension.

I remember a Collingwood friend of mine said he'll hardly play a game after his breakout year. I might remind him again how thankful we are of getting Picken.

LostDoggy
18-06-2015, 12:12 PM
I had him out of my round 1 team at the start of the year. I got it very wrong. Absolutely stoked for him.

boydogs
18-06-2015, 02:10 PM
Almost a no brainer to give Picko another 2 years

I think it was just BT getting his age wrong that raised doubts. No brainer for mine

Jeanette54
18-06-2015, 04:24 PM
Over the years there have been a few players whose very endeavour have made me fearful for their own safety. Liam is one of these. His total commitment to the contest, no matter what the odds is truly awe inspiring.

Since he has been given his new role its been such a privilege to be able to discover that his talent matches his effort.

An extension of contract that his been well earned.

Twodogs
18-06-2015, 04:54 PM
Almost a no brainer to give Picko another 2 years. I don't recall him ever being dropped by any of the 3 coaches he has had at the dogs. As Slimpickens said, one of the first picked and he has been huge again for us this year - and I would dare say we've gotten amazing value for money out of Liam over the journey in his 7 seasons.

I think we really missed him against Port Adelaide, great athlete that can continue to push himself for repeat ferocious efforts all day.

Good news.

I changed my pick when I saw he was missing. Or I would have if I picked against us.

I think it was just BT getting his age wrong that raised doubts. No brainer for mine

Yep. Definatly BT's fault.

Ozza
18-06-2015, 05:54 PM
Over the years there have been a few players whose very endeavour have made me fearful for their own safety. Liam is one of these. His total commitment to the contest, no matter what the odds is truly awe inspiring.

Since he has been given his new role its been such a privilege to be able to discover that his talent matches his effort.

An extension of contract that his been well earned.

I was talking to Picko at the best and fairest a couple of years back. He'd just won an award (I think he was 3rd in the B&F that night and also won a most courageous or best team man - one of those), and John Schultz came along to talk to Liam, so I obviously gave way immediately to the club legend and stepped away!

I couldn't hear exactly what gentleman John was saying, but it was along the lines of John and the other older players loving the way he played and how he went about it in the right way. Was a really nice moment, and from the look you could see the absolute respect that Liam had for John, and that he was really humbled by the nice words.

Remi Moses
18-06-2015, 05:56 PM
Seems reinvigorated by the new coach ( as a few are)
Agree with others in that we have only five 100 games plus players.
The much vaunted other young teams like Stkilda and Melbourne have 10.
I think Will and possibly Dale might be gone at seasons end.

whythelongface
18-06-2015, 10:21 PM
Great news. As others have stated bleeds the red, white and blue. He has thrived under Bevo.

bornadog
18-06-2015, 10:33 PM
Sat next to him at the season launch this year and had a great chat. Off field spends lots of time with the kids, a real family man.

comrade
18-06-2015, 11:56 PM
His toughness and versatility will be vital to us over the next 2 years. Loving his season, to date.

On ya Picko.

F'scary
19-06-2015, 07:53 PM
He covers a lot of ground every match. That's what the coach wants with the 'men of mayhem' style.

Bulldog4life
19-06-2015, 08:25 PM
Very happy. Spoke to him at an East West day and he is such a affable guy not shy as a some might think. Great decision by the Club. Love the way he goes about his game and still improving!