PDA

View Full Version : Bankers and Anchors - Round 12

Eastdog
19-06-2015, 08:11 PM
This is the round 12 edition of the Weekly Bankers and Anchors Thread. Once the game against Brisbane Lions is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys that you we banked on to do the right thing during the game
The Anchors = 3 guys that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

GVGjr
20-06-2015, 09:42 PM
Bump

westbulldog
21-06-2015, 12:28 AM
B Stringer, Grant, T Boyd
A Missing several easy set shots, this may cost us games.

F'scary
21-06-2015, 12:35 AM
B: Hamling, Roberts & Roughead. Contesting overhead, the other teams are not outmarking us like they were for the past couple of seasons.

A: Overuse of handball through the middle, especially in the first half; some signs of lairising tonight; foot passing onto the forwardline was sloppy too often.

bulldogtragic
21-06-2015, 01:10 AM
B:

Team effort
Grant
Grant

A:

Boyd getting monstered without frees
Minson's game
The scare when Jake went off in pain

G-Mo77
21-06-2015, 01:14 AM
Banker.

Wallis was huge today.

Stringer a nice little bag.

Umps. Felt they gifted us a few in the first half whilst it was closer. Thanks.

Anchors
Green for the Lions. Something about him I can't stand. I'll anchor him for it.

Weather. I was scared a white walker was going to show up.

Remi Moses
21-06-2015, 01:15 AM
B- Grant , thought he was terrific, and in particular the first half
Stringer , sublime talent
T Boyd , thought he was great, and would have been nice to get 5
Luke D , just a super competitor
Put the foot to the throat
A- our turnovers - they punished us each time
To many easy over the top goals for me

Bulldog4life
21-06-2015, 01:16 AM
Banker.

Wallis was huge today.

Stringer a nice little bag.

Umps. Felt they gifted us a few in the first half whilst it was closer. Thanks.

Anchors
Green for the Lions. Something about him I can't stand. I'll anchor him for it.

Weather. I was scared a white walker was going to show up.

You don't like rangers G-Mo?

bornadog
21-06-2015, 01:16 AM
B:

The scare when Jake went off in pain

I thought he had cracked a few ribs.

bulldogtragic
21-06-2015, 01:18 AM
I thought he had cracked a few ribs.

Thank god it was only cramp, I thought the same.

G-Mo77
21-06-2015, 01:20 AM
You don't like rangers G-Mo?

Can't put my finger on it mate. Some players just get under your skin, he's one of them.

Bulldog4life
21-06-2015, 01:21 AM
Can't put my finger on it mate. Some players just get under your skin, he's one of them.

Ha ha. Yes I know what you mean.

SonofScray
21-06-2015, 01:23 AM
BANKER:
Stringer - mercurial. powerful. effective from a difficult set shot.
Boyd - a handful, drew a lot of free kicks.
McClean - Good work from the Uncle, looks like he is made of the right stuff.

ANCHOR:
Wilbur - seemed a bit unsettled in his role.
1st half - poor game of footy being played in the first half, atrocious to watch.
Brisbane Lions - if anyone ever deserved the irrelevant label its them.

comrade
21-06-2015, 01:51 AM

Little front running scab.

It felt like they got more than their fair share of goals due to their smalls running forward of the play for the old joe the goose.

comrade
21-06-2015, 01:59 AM
Bankers:

Without stating the obvious ones (Boyd, Stringer etc)...

1. Dahlhaus was great again. Love how he gets low and scrambles for the hard ball, and wins it more often than not. Absolute warrior for us.

2. McLean showed a heap tonight and his left foot snap was all class. I liked how Easton Wood yelled out to Matthew Boyd all the way in the back line to come and get around the kid. Matty ran half way across the ground to throw in his congratulations.

3. MASSIVE BANKER to Jack Macrae. His clearance and contested work was elite. Didn't stop for 4 quarters and was just a complete game. The best I've seen from him, in fact.

Anchors:

1. Overuse of handball. Just put ourselves under the pump early with unnecessary ball use. A better team would have crucified us.

2. Wilbur. Just isn't made for the modern game and in particular, our game style. Adds very little when the ball is in transition and doesn't move well enough to fill in the zone when we're defending. I'd rather see Roughy be used as #1 with support from either Cordy or Campbell (though Cordy would seem the more suitable option as a #2 ruck/forward).

3. A whack at my fellow woofers: it is Macrae. Not McRae, MacRae, Mcrae, McCrae or any other variant. And it's McLean. Not MacLean, McClean etc. May be petty but it grinds my gears :D

Eastdog
21-06-2015, 02:07 AM
Bankers:

T Boyd - Much better tonight compared to previous weeks

Stringer - Going to a great forward

Wood - Really great down back for us

Mentions also to M Boyd, Picken and JJ who I thought were good tonight as well.

Anchors:

Our period of play towards the end of the 2nd quarter

Gifting the opposition easy goals

Twodogs
21-06-2015, 04:45 AM
Bankers
Boyd pushing Stringer out of the way and marking the ball in the goal square. For now the square is Boydy's space and tonight he made it his. If anyone is going to take easy marks in it its him.

Umpires finally looking after Tom Boyd. When two players couldn't hold him down while tap other went for the ball he kicks 4.

Grant. He seems to be on board at last. Last night was probably his best game.

Only Anchor is kicking for goal but we kicked straight at the end when we got well on top

SlimPickens
21-06-2015, 10:35 AM
Bankers-
Mitch Wallis- contested animal and showed he has a few tricks by hitting the scoreboard.

Tom Boyd- much better intent this week and was rewarded by hitting the scoreboard.

Hamling- really liked his game again.

Anchors-
Handballing- what is with AFL players inability to perform this basic skill? It drives me nuts!

Minson- not much impact from Wilbur, happening more often than not these days unfortunately.

Turnovers in the middle of the ground. Cost us a number of goals last night.

Greystache
21-06-2015, 11:20 AM
Bankers

Wallis- Was in everything last night and hit the scoreboard too. I was surprised to see at the end of the game he only had low 20s possessions, it felt like he had it on a string.

Stringer- I thought we'd kick a goal everytime the ball went to his area.

T Boyd- Great to see him clunking some big marks and kicking goals.

Anchors

Overuse of the ball, especially early. Alarm bells were ringing.

Minson- The game looks to have gone past him

Twodogs
21-06-2015, 12:53 PM
Bankers

Wallis- Was in everything last night and hit the scoreboard too. I was surprised to see at the end of the game he only had low 20s possessions, it felt like he had it on a string.

Stringer- I thought we'd kick a goal everytime the ball went to his area.

T Boyd- Great to see him clunking some big marks and kicking goals.

Anchors

Overuse of the ball, especially early. Alarm bells were ringing.

Minson- The game looks to have gone past him

In the last quarter when Boyd shielded the ball in a 180 turn and somehow got it to Dalhaus, Luke has a little look and thinks "great its Jake, I only have to get it near him" because he just didn't have time to hit someone lace out.

Go_Dogs
21-06-2015, 01:22 PM
B:
Wally kicking goals.
Stevens contest with Robertson. Always bad to see an injury, but boy, Stevens went hard.
Umpires finally taking a look at what Boyd contests against each week.

A:
The crowd, poor turnout, albeit bigger than I thought it would be at 7pm.
Over use of handball at times. I get sometimes you need to run a and carry through the press, but we need to better identify when we do.
Easy goals for Lions. We still let too many easy ones out the back, but I suppose it happens when you get through our press, perhaps a take the bad with the good situation.

Ozza
21-06-2015, 01:56 PM
Bankers:

McLean: really clean hands and also put his nose over it when we had to. looks a real player.
Hamling- really competitive and great in the air. Making it hard for Talia at the moment.
A team banker for the play when Bonti busted through 2 tackles to keep it moving forward, after the Hrovat kick Boyd was able to keep the ball in play and moving our way, then Dahl over to Stringer who missed Grant in the goal square but still managed to kick it. Was just a series of our players refusing to lose a contest and willing it forward.

Anchors:

Thought Macrae had a good game but still needs to use the first option more.

LostDoggy
21-06-2015, 09:40 PM
Bankers
Jake - for adding to his unbelievable goal highlights reel
McLean - clean hands and great kick, looks to hit a target in the forward line instead of bombing it in, great abilities to have
Hamling and Roberts, both starting to take marks in the backline ala a former no. 36 we used to have

Anchors - BT commentating, I love Jake more than anyone but BT was just annoyingly over the top
Second qtr ball use, too many turn overs
weather, I was so cold I wanted the siren to blow in the last qtr, to get to somewhere warmer

bulldogtragic
21-06-2015, 10:07 PM
Bankers
Jake - for adding to his unbelievable goal highlights reel
McLean - clean hands and great kick, looks to hit a target in the forward line instead of bombing it in, great abilities to have
Hamling and Roberts, both starting to take marks in the backline ala a former no. 36 we used to have

Anchors - BT commentating, I love Jake more than anyone but BT was just annoyingly over the top
Second qtr ball use, too many turn overs
weather, I was so cold I wanted the siren to blow in the last qtr, to get to somewhere warmer

I've just finished the replay on my planner. How does channel 7 manage to make a 70 point win just an annoying experience for TV. It was just awful. This is the best anchor nomination this year.

LostDoggy
21-06-2015, 10:23 PM
B.
Wood. Playing with verve and confidence.
Stringer. When he plays well, he plays with an arrogance that we so need
Players who get a hand in to strip the opposition of the ball.

A.

A boring game of football. Far too many sloppy disposals, short kicks, fumbles and missed targets.... And there wasn't the intensity of, say, the Swans' game...a lot of wide play by both sides, which becomes repetitive and dull after a while....

Set ups at centre bounces. We lose some clearances because we are not covering, but attacking.......which may not work against top sides.... Stoppages. We need to yet again work on this. We have too many going at the ball or on one side, meaning that if it gets out the back, we can be easy to score against.

Pressure. When we don't have space and can't get a clear run to flip the ball about, we bomb it forward. I'd love never again to see a player just kick it blindly into the forward line as this is rarely to the advantage of our forwards.

Twodogs
22-06-2015, 06:14 PM
B.
Wood. Playing with verve and confidence.
Stringer. When he plays well, he plays with an arrogance that we so need
Players who get a hand in to strip the opposition of the ball.

A.

A boring game of football. Far too many sloppy disposals, short kicks, fumbles and missed targets.... And there wasn't the intensity of, say, the Swans' game...a lot of wide play by both sides, which becomes repetitive and dull after a while....

Set ups at centre bounces. We lose some clearances because we are not covering, but attacking.......which may not work against top sides.... Stoppages. We need to yet again work on this. We have too many going at the ball or on one side, meaning that if it gets out the back, we can be easy to score against.

Pressure. When we don't have space and can't get a clear run to flip the ball about, we bomb it forward. I'd love never again to see a player just kick it blindly into the forward line as this is rarely to the advantage of our forwards.

But if they have to do it, kick it straight and direct instead of a big high drop punt that is easy to punch away.