PDA

View Full Version : 5 teenagers named today. A record?

Dancin' Douggy
20-06-2015, 12:19 PM
We have 5 teenagers in the starting 22 today.
Boyd
Bontempelli
McLean
Dale
Webb.

Is that some sort of a record for us?
On top of that we have Stringer Macrae and Hrovat who must all be 20.

I decided to look a little further into our age/experience profile.

(these figures are from the preseason guide)
Our average games played per player is 43. Same as GWS. The lowest in the league.

We have 29 players with less than 40 games experience.
GWS have 27.

Pretty amazing I reckon.

bornadog
20-06-2015, 12:25 PM
Boyd
Bontempelli
McLean
Dale
Webb.

Our average games played per player is 43. Same as GWS. The lowest in the league.

GWS have 27.

Pretty amazing I reckon.

Tom Boyd is 7 months younger than Hogan

Eastdog
20-06-2015, 04:48 PM
Yep it is very young which is why I think we should be satisfied for where we are at.

Remi Moses
20-06-2015, 04:58 PM
The youngest side we've fielded ever I'd imagine .

Remi Moses
20-06-2015, 04:59 PM
Boyd
Bontempelli
McLean
Dale
Webb.

GWS have 27.

Pretty amazing I reckon.

We also have the least 100 game players in the competition

kruder
20-06-2015, 06:59 PM
We will get beaten in the next 4 weeks and after the loss everyone needs to keep things in perspective. We are more than on track...

westdog54
21-06-2015, 12:13 AM
Superb result to put away a weaker side in the manner we did.

We're tracking nicely.

Bulldog4life
21-06-2015, 01:05 AM
Terry Wallace said tonight that we had 12 players 22 years or younger playing tonight.

bornadog
21-06-2015, 01:09 AM
Terry Wallace said tonight that we had 12 players 22 years or younger playing tonight.

Brisbane's average age was about the same as ours ie 23 years 11 months to 23 years 9 months (Bris)

Bulldog4life
21-06-2015, 01:15 AM
Brisbane's average age was about the same as ours ie 23 years 11 months to 23 years 9 months (Bris)

They had 3 teenagers and ten players aged 22 or under.

bulldogtragic
21-06-2015, 01:19 AM
The Baby Bulldogs.

Twodogs
21-06-2015, 01:33 AM
5 teenagers in but DID. WE. WIN?

Hotdog60
21-06-2015, 09:45 AM
Yes we DID!!!!

Twodogs
21-06-2015, 06:50 PM
I've been looking back trying to find a case of us playing five or more teenagers before. I've looked back over 35 years and the closest I can find is round 18 1979 when we had four. Robert Groenewegan, Doug Hawkins, Brian Wilson and Michael McKenna. Three of them played 100 games plus, one Brownlow, a fair few club B&Fs, All-Australians and I'm sure that all but Gronna wore the big Vee.

I'll be pretty happy if our five can replicate that form line. Especially with a few flags thrown in.

stefoid
21-06-2015, 09:15 PM
Just watching the replay, and havent seen anything of him before really, but McLean looks very sharp.

Ive marked him down as a player.

comrade
21-06-2015, 09:24 PM
I've been looking back trying to find a case of us playing five or more teenagers before. I've looked back over 35 years and the closest I can find is round 18 1979 when we had four. Robert Groenewegan, Doug Hawkins, Brian Wilson and Michael McKenna. Three of them played 100 games plus, one Brownlow, a fair few club B&Fs, All-Australians and I'm sure that all but Gronna wore the big Vee.

I'll be pretty happy if our five can replicate that form line. Especially with a few flags thrown in.

Most impressive is we were able to destroy the opposition with so many kids in. The 1979 team got done by 89 points.

And I'll be happy with just one flag as a start. :D

Eastdog
21-06-2015, 09:25 PM
Just watching the replay, and havent seen anything of him before really, but McLean looks very sharp.

Ive marked him down as a player.

Agree looked quite good.

Eastdog
21-06-2015, 09:26 PM

I believe we did make the finals a few times in the 70s.

Twodogs
21-06-2015, 10:26 PM
I believe we did make the finals a few times in the 70s.

We did but we were a basket case by 1979. Dempsey, Huppatz, Quinlain, Round, Collins, Baker, Sandilands, Stoneham , Foreman, Featherby and many others had left. We pretty much lost an entire team including three captains at least who went to other clubs. the later MaKenzie/Royce Hart years saw us turn out some of the worst teams in the history of our club. Some games were just embarrassing. One at Vic Park when we only kicked 3 goals was a complete schmoozle. They were laughing at us.

Ozza
22-06-2015, 12:44 PM
Gee McLean was impressive on Saturday night.

He's a one grab player - which I love. It makes so much difference in today's footy to have clean hands, and a handful of touches he had in the third quarter when Brisbane got close, had a say in us turning the momentum around.

Much like Webb did in his first couple of games - McLean looks very comfortable slotting into the best 22.

Murphy'sLore
22-06-2015, 03:19 PM
So would it be fair to say in 1979 we were on the way down, whereas now we're on the way up?

Webby
22-06-2015, 03:31 PM
We did but we were a basket case by 1979. Dempsey, Huppatz, Quinlain, Round, Collins, Baker, Sandilands, Stoneham , Foreman, Featherby and many others had left. We pretty much lost an entire team including three captains at least who went to other clubs. the later MaKenzie/Royce Hart years saw us turn out some of the worst teams in the history of our club. Some games were just embarrassing. One at Vic Park when we only kicked 3 goals was a complete schmoozle. They were laughing at us.

Yep, 74 & 77 from memory. It all imploded when the Social Club and the footy club split. Very very bad times. In fact very very very bad times! I believe Dick Collinson was heavily involved and, depending on who you talk to, might bear a lot of the blame.

Fall out was that we had a team full of stars in 1977 with a good coach in Bill Goggin. By 1978 we'd lost the plot and by 79 virtually everyone had left. The club was a basket case and Charlie Sutton had to come in as a peacemaking, unifying president.

Any player who left the club in the 78-80 period sjould be forgiven - even by the most fervent fans.. of which I'm one. We were a disgrace in that period.

Twodogs
22-06-2015, 03:47 PM
Yep, 74 & 77 from memory. It all imploded when the Social Club and the footy club split. Very very bad times. In fact very very very bad times! I believe Dick Collinson was heavily involved and, depending on who you talk to, might bear a lot of the blame.

Fall out was that we had a team full of stars in 1977 with a good coach in Bill Goggin. By 1978 we'd lost the plot and by 79 virtually everyone had left. The club was a basket case and Charlie Sutton had to come in as a peacemaking, unifying president.

Any player who left the club in the 78-80 period sjould be forgiven - even by the most fervent fans.. of which I'm one. We were a disgrace in that period.

It was 74 and 76 Webby. 1974 Collingwood thumped us in the Elimination final but in 1976 we got within 7 points of Geelong in another EF, Larry Donahue kicked 2 late in the last quarter that killed the challenge we were mounting off.

Collinson is an interesting and complex person and I couldn't do him justice in a couple of paragraphs. The lockout wasn't his finest hour but I don't remember enough about it to have a definitive opinion.

bornadog
22-06-2015, 04:19 PM
It was 74 and 76 Webby. 1974 Collingwood thumped us in the Elimination final but in 1976 we got within 7 points of Geelong in another EF, Larry Donahue kicked 2 late in the last quarter that killed the challenge we were mounting off.

I went to both those finals.

For the 1976 final, 6 of us piled in a car from Yarraville to Waverley, felt like we needed to pack a picnic lunch as there were no freeways, just us in a car adn a long way to drive. My mate wrapped his car in red white and blue with creche paper including ribbons flying from the aerial.

After the match we felt like gits going home.:D

Bulldog4life
22-06-2015, 04:25 PM
I went to both those finals.

For the 1976 final, 6 of us piled in a car from Yarraville to Waverley, felt like we needed to pack a picnic lunch as there were no freeways, just us in a car adn a long way to drive. My mate wrapped his car in red white and blue with creche paper including ribbons flying from the aerial.

After the match we felt like gits going home.:D

Should have taken the red creche off and you could have been Geelong supporters.:D

Remi Moses
22-06-2015, 07:38 PM
I still remember even as a school kid hearing of the infamous feud between the social club and the Actual footy club.
We were pretty decent in the mid 70's and recruited well, but I think the lack of finances hit hard by the late 70's.
They called last October a crisis! That's mild to what happened back in the day

Twodogs
22-06-2015, 07:45 PM
I still remember even as a school kid hearing of the infamous feud between the social club and the Actual footy club.
We were pretty decent in the mid 70's and recruited well, but I think the lack of finances hit hard by the late 70's.
They called last October a crisis! That's mild to what happened back in the day

October was a Sunday school picnic compared to the mid '70s. They were playing for sheep stations back then.

LostDoggy
22-06-2015, 11:00 PM

Collinson is an interesting and complex person and I couldn't do him justice in a couple of paragraphs. The lockout wasn't his finest hour but I don't remember enough about it to have a definitive opinion.

I was born in 1982, so big ups for the good memories lads.

bulldogtragic
27-06-2015, 10:46 PM
Amazing that so many kids can keep winning. Crazy to think we've got these wins post Shocktober, but with all these kids would be inconceivable a few months back. Best first year player award is going to be a cracker at this rate, and my boy Zaine hasn't cracked a game yet. Giddy up.

comrade
28-06-2015, 01:48 AM
Amazing that so many kids can keep winning. Crazy to think we've got these wins post Shocktober, but with all these kids would be inconceivable a few months back. Best first year player award is going to be a cracker at this rate, and my boy Zaine hasn't cracked a game yet. Giddy up.

The forgotten man in some ways. And he could be the best of them all!

jazzadogs
28-06-2015, 03:25 AM
I would love to see stats comparing our average age/games played to the first seasons of GWS and Gold Coast, particularly GWS with its old recruits.

I'm very excited about the future. I haven't caught up on last nights game but the reports of McLean's game plus Dale and Webb's late goals is fantastic!

Remi Moses
28-06-2015, 03:50 AM
How clean is Toby overhead ?
Young Bailey kicked a very classy goal, as did Lucas .
Just love how Bevo keeps playing them and backs them in

chef
28-06-2015, 09:15 AM
Boyd
Bontempelli
McLean
Dale
Webb

Of our 9 goals 5 were scored by our Teens.

comrade
28-06-2015, 09:32 AM
Boyd
Bontempelli
McLean
Dale
Webb

Yet Saints fans are consoling themselves with the 'fact' that we're 2 years ahead in our rebuild so they did well to get so close.

Webby
28-06-2015, 10:59 AM
Yet Saints fans are consoling themselves with the 'fact' that we're 2 years ahead in our rebuild so they did well to get so close.

Yeah I know. Riewoldt was their best player and Montagna killed us last time ourt. Then there's Schneider, Gilbert, Fisher etc. We don't have too many key blokes coming out of our side in the next 2-3 years. They have quite a few. It's nice for their supporters that they're playing well, but in the long game, I think they're going a bit early.

azabob
28-06-2015, 01:29 PM
Boyd
Bontempelli
McLean
Dale
Webb

The best part of the above is that none of their shots were easy and were all relatively difficult and under pressure.

chef
28-06-2015, 01:30 PM
The best part of the above is that none of their shots were easy and were all relatively difficult and under pressure.

Yep, clutch goals.

hujsh
28-06-2015, 04:34 PM

Well we are further along in the sense that we've got less experienced players and more young talent performing in the side, so we're closer to having a rebuilt team. The problem for the Saints is they're at the point in their rebuild where they should be ahead of us on the ladder because of their older players.

Remi Moses
28-06-2015, 04:49 PM
Well we are further along in the sense that we've got less experienced players and more young talent performing in the side, so we're closer to having a rebuilt team. The problem for the Saints is they're at the point in their rebuild where they should be ahead of us on the ladder because of their older players.

I think they're placed where we were 2 years ago.
They have to make some big decisions at seasons end

bulldogtragic
28-06-2015, 04:56 PM
I think they're placed where we were 2 years ago.
They have to make some big decisions at seasons end

Absolutely. It's another tough post season for them and their decision making:

A) Get on the turps and light a dwarf on fire, or
B) Get on the turps and light a dwarf on fire and give nude pics of teammates to a school girl, or
C) Get on the turps and light a dwarf on fire and give nude pics of teammates to a school girl and have coitus with her.
D) All of the above, but inviting former players and/or player managers to come along.

hujsh
28-06-2015, 05:23 PM
absolutely another tough post season for them and their decision making:

A) get on the turps and light a dwarf on fire, or
b) get on the turps and light a drawn on fire and give nude pics of teammates a school girl, or
c) get on the turps and light a dwarf on fire and give nude pics of teammates a school girl and have coitus with her.
D) all of the above, but inviting former players and/or player managers to come along.

Saints Footy!
http://www.theshirtlist.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Fist-Pump-Champion.jpg

bornadog
28-06-2015, 05:55 PM
Beveridge says the teenagers are not being gifted games, he feels they deserve it.

ledge
28-06-2015, 08:25 PM
Beveridge says the teenagers are not being gifted games, he feels they deserve it.

Well they aren't letting us down when they come in.
Must say I was shocked Morris played after his first VFL game I thought it was a shocker last week , but then again he always does well against the saints and he did again.

bornadog
30-06-2015, 12:54 PM
Boyd
Bontempelli
McLean
Dale
Webb

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2015-06-29/young-dogs-hit-the-scoreboard

westdog54
30-06-2015, 01:02 PM
http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2015-06-29/young-dogs-hit-the-scoreboard

Shame they couldn't fit Bailey's goal in there. It was my favourite of the lot.

Twodogs
30-06-2015, 01:09 PM

It looked so much like it had just rolled the wrong side of the post. I was swearing when my son told me it was a goal.

Happy Days
30-06-2015, 01:09 PM

Same. He doesn't get a lot of the ball but he has an incredible ability to hit the scoreboard when he does. Gets to the right spots, which speaks volumes of his adaptability to the much vaunted AFL Running Patterns™.