PDA

View Full Version : Blockbuster idea

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
27-06-2015, 11:16 PM
The Dogs v Saints games usually have something about them.
Something GVG said recently in another thread about how we can grow our membership got me thinking.

We, both Dogs & Saints, are clubs that find it hard to grow our membership bases, and we rarely get the opportunity to get our brands out there on the big stage with any regularity. This makes it very hard to grow our memberships, when the Collingwood's, Hawks, and even a poorly performed Carlton get preferential coverage.

I have been thinking that a way to address this as well as build a big stage rivalry would be for the AFL to provide us with a blockbuster game against each other that has a focus around kids.

My concept is:
Hold the game at the MCG during one of the bye rounds - make it the only game in Melbourne that day.
The theme should be something around kids and the game should be the culmination of a week long charity drive for either sick, disadvantaged, remotely located or indigenous kids.
Dogs and Saints clubs should be active during the week going to schools, organising events, etc.
10,000 tickets should be given to kids to make sure they are front and centre as the focus of the day.

I think this sort of event would be a great way to both help give back to the community as well as get 2 smaller clubs an opportunity to promote their brands to the next generation of fans.

What do others think of this very rough draft of a concept.

LostDoggy
27-06-2015, 11:44 PM
The Dogs v Saints games usually have something about them.
Something GVG said recently in another thread about how we can grow our membership got me thinking.

We, both Dogs & Saints, are clubs that find it hard to grow our membership bases, and we rarely get the opportunity to get our brands out there on the big stage with any regularity. This makes it very hard to grow our memberships, when the Collingwood's, Hawks, and even a poorly performed Carlton get preferential coverage.

I have been thinking that a way to address this as well as build a big stage rivalry would be for the AFL to provide us with a blockbuster game against each other that has a focus around kids.

My concept is:
Hold the game at the MCG during one of the bye rounds - make it the only game in Melbourne that day.
The theme should be something around kids and the game should be the culmination of a week long charity drive for either sick, disadvantaged, remotely located or indigenous kids.
Dogs and Saints clubs should be active during the week going to schools, organising events, etc.
10,000 tickets should be given to kids to make sure they are front and centre as the focus of the day.

I think this sort of event would be a great way to both help give back to the community as well as get 2 smaller clubs an opportunity to promote their brands to the next generation of fans.

What do others think of this very rough draft of a concept.

I like it.

bulldogtragic
27-06-2015, 11:52 PM
Like it. Couldn't we do this if we and Norf get Good Friday?

bornadog
28-06-2015, 12:37 AM
Brilliant

Eastdog
28-06-2015, 12:39 AM

Yes we could as well BT.

Great thinking YHF. I was thinking the same as well.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
28-06-2015, 01:02 AM

We could. Personally I'd like to stay away from Good Friday as I think a June bye weekend is something we could own and is free of any distractions eg, religious observances. Also lots of families typically go away at Easter.
Also i think North want to pursue Good Friday with Carlton.
Finally i reckon the Dogs v Saints rivalry is growing legs and both teams are likely to be good teams over the near to medium future. Whereas i reckon North are likely to be on a downward turn in the coming 3-4 years.

Twodogs
28-06-2015, 01:28 AM
Do it in the middle of school holidays. Have clinics at Etihad leading up to the game. Free clinics for five days. Every kid who wants to come is guaranteed a spot. They get to meet some players, have a kick or some drills with get a show bag and a pie. And if they want a three game membership for mum and dad to bring them to a game then they get one of those too. And we have two or three home games soon after to get them along.

bornadog
28-06-2015, 11:35 AM
We need Peter to read this thread and take up the idea.

jeemak
28-06-2015, 02:17 PM
Perfect thinking.

Rocco Jones
28-06-2015, 02:18 PM
Outstanding idea.

Bulldog4life
28-06-2015, 04:22 PM
We could. Personally I'd like to stay away from Good Friday as I think a June bye weekend is something we could own and is free of any distractions eg, religious observances. Also lots of families typically go away at Easter.
Also i think North want to pursue Good Friday with Carlton.
Finally i reckon the Dogs v Saints rivalry is growing legs and both teams are likely to be good teams over the near to medium future. Whereas i reckon North are likely to be on a downward turn in the coming 3-4 years.

Great idea YHF. A race to see who can win their 2nd premiership!