PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations Matthew Boyd - 250 Games v Carlton

bornadog
29-06-2015, 01:59 PM
Matty Boyd about to play his 250th game this weekend. Initially a rookie player, Boyd worked his pants off to make the senior team. A ball magnet who has averaged 25 disposals per game over the past 13 seasons with the last 5 years averaging almost 30.

This season he has had a new lease of life in the backline after seemingly gone at the end of last year. Thanks to some astute thinking from Bevo to move him, he has become a fantastic HBF.

Well done Boydy.

bornadog
29-06-2015, 02:00 PM
On Sunday Footy show:

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2015-06-29/matthew-boyd-on-sunday-footy-show

LostDoggy
29-06-2015, 02:03 PM
Terrific effort from Matty Boyd.

The move to the backline has been great. Last year it was tag Murphy and we have no run. This year we are much more dangerous and a huge part of that is this man.

Hopefully he has another cracking match and we have a big win for him.

SlimPickens
29-06-2015, 02:39 PM
He has been outstanding this year and I am really pleased for him. Hopefully we can get up for his milestone game, a bulldog thru and thru.

bulldogtragic
29-06-2015, 02:42 PM
I wonder if he thought this would happen playing Frankston VFL ressies. Great effort.

bulldogtragic
29-06-2015, 02:44 PM
"250 Better Than Solid Games" - Our Banner

craigsahibee
29-06-2015, 03:22 PM
Congratulations to Boyd the Elder. Fantastic achievement to play 250 games. He will be known as one of the great players at our footy club. I will never forget the goal he kicked against Richmond when we had pressed up the ground and Mitch Hahn hacked the ball out of the clearance on our HBF and it turned in to a foot race to the footy. Boyd capitalised on a great shepherd by either Eagleton or F Ray to kick the goal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3DbZqZX2dA

azabob
29-06-2015, 03:31 PM
I wonder if he thought this would happen playing Frankston VFL ressies. Great effort.

He and Luke Beveridge played a game together down at Frankston.

Maddog37
29-06-2015, 03:57 PM
Very happy for him and I'm really enjoying his Indian summer.

Mofra
29-06-2015, 04:02 PM
Huge effort. Spent most of his career with the focus on his deficiencies rather than his attributes - toughness and work rate

Ozza
29-06-2015, 04:09 PM
Having a great year - and has had quite an outstanding career being a 2 x All Australian. And would certainly not be out of the all Australian considerations for this year should this sort of form continue.

Best & Fairest winner in 2009 - which was the strongest bulldog side of time he has been playing. As well as 2011 & 2012.

Has come a long way since he was a back pocket in the #42 in his first season or two!

Well done Matty.

Sedat
29-06-2015, 04:23 PM
Credit to Boydy for adapting and constantly striving to improve, no matter his age. Credit also to the coach for finding value and investing in a player in a new role, when that player could have easily been cast aside.

AndrewP6
29-06-2015, 05:00 PM
Well done Boyd Snr. A perfect example of how hard work can get you somewhere. He's been great down back this year.

always right
29-06-2015, 05:47 PM
Has almost become our most composed distributor by foot....who'd have thunk it?
Have also really noticed his tackling this year....always been a strong suit but he seems to be nailing some huge tackles this year. His strength is enormous.

Looking forward to his banner. Hoping they spell everything right this week. ("ASSULT":rolleyes:)

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
29-06-2015, 07:18 PM
I remember a young number 42 off the rookie list. No one tougher than Boydy

chef
29-06-2015, 07:21 PM
Well done Boydy. Great player, leader and person. Probs gave away the captaincy a year to early too.

Will aways remember his goal against Richmond.

F'scary
29-06-2015, 08:11 PM
He's made the Rohan Connolly's (The Age) mid-season AA team.

I think he had a pretty big year in 2014 too.

boydogs
29-06-2015, 08:22 PM
He's done really well, not a wimper over Murph being given the captaincy and having his role changed. Just head down bum up, playing his role and encouraging the kids

merantau
29-06-2015, 09:01 PM
Congratulations Matthew Boyd, you have been a fantastic contributor throughout your career mostly spent in the hurly-burly of the heat of the kitchen, often surrounded by vortex of flying feet, slinging arms and flailing bodies hell bent on causing you damage. It's great to see you freed up a bit and your work off half-back this year has been exemplary. You still have a lot of football left in you Matthew. Thanks for your sterling efforts over the years.

josie
29-06-2015, 09:03 PM
Go Boydy !! I love the way you speak in media and how you play your football. Straight as a die, uncompromising and tough - an utter professional and wonderful example for our young 'uns. Hope your good form continues in '15 and that you get to play on in '16.

Smads57
29-06-2015, 09:24 PM
Really enjoying your performances this year Matty. You and the rest of the backline have become a team within the team and much of that is due to your influence and experience. Would love to see you make it to 300...

Eastdog
29-06-2015, 09:45 PM
Well Done Boydy on 250 games for our great club. You have been a very important player and part of our side this year.

LostDoggy
29-06-2015, 10:05 PM
Well done Boydy on 250 grunt filled games.
You have been reborn and re-energized coming off half back and the father figure you and Murph project towards our kids will and has been something special that will see our great club rise to the pinnacle of greatness.
That goal against Richmond is one of many if not the most inspirational things you have done on the field of battle.
Will never forget what you have given and sacrificed for this great club of ours.
May your reign down back continue for a few more inspiring years yet.

Daughter of the West
30-06-2015, 11:45 AM
Congratulations Boyd Snr, a stellar example of where hard work and determination can take you. I doubt there would be too many blokes at the club (on or off the field) that work harder than this man, and full credit to him - especially this year's reinvention!

bornadog
30-06-2015, 02:14 PM
some career highlights

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2015-06-30/boyd-by-bulldogs-future

LostDoggy
30-06-2015, 04:00 PM
Matthew Boyd, incredible career from Rookie to gun to B&F to Captain to Elder Statesman of the team but still a gun and a leader of men. Always humble, always going in hard, the very essence of bulldog.

Well deserved milestone from a great competitor.

bornadog
30-06-2015, 05:26 PM
Press conference

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2015-06-30/boyd-talks-about-250th-game

Remi Moses
30-06-2015, 08:14 PM
Well Done to Matty Boyd
Excellent career, and been revitalised this season

The bulldog tragician
30-06-2015, 09:40 PM
Congrats Matthew Boyd.

We're all guilty of under rating him, and it's a lot of fun seeing his rebirth on the backline, but not as much fun as I suspect he's having. The hug that he and Murf shared after our Sydney victory was that of two blokes who thought they wouldn't play finals again and reinvigorated by this coach and the enthusiasm of youth, are back in love with the game.

As an aside, i reckon Boydy would be a straight shooting team mate on the field if you stuffed up. He gave Joel Hamling a right old serve when the Man Bun was able to mark on the goal line in the last quarter. He would set a very high standard both on the track and on field.

jeemak
01-07-2015, 12:49 AM
Has almost become our most composed distributor by foot....who'd have thunk it?
Have also really noticed his tackling this year....always been a strong suit but he seems to be nailing some huge tackles this year. His strength is enormous.

Looking forward to his banner. Hoping they spell everything right this week. ("ASSULT":rolleyes:)

I almost pilloried this post until I read you used the word almost when it came to distribution by foot prowess! I think we both know who that mantle belongs to.

Anyway, Matty Boyd is a gun and a justified grump. He demanded better from himself and those around him when both could be achieved. He's copped a lot of flack for his kicking out of congested situations over the years though some justification could be directed towards this being a symptom of an issue and not an issue in itself.

This year he is using it well, defending well and working as hard as he ever had. His All Australian and Best and Fairest honours prove his quality as an individual player, and captaining the club and continuing to improve under any circumstance demonstrate his capacity to be a team player.

Go_Dogs
01-07-2015, 08:34 AM
Well done Boydy. A huge effort to play 250 games of AFL footy. Really hoping we can win big for him on Saturday.

Bulldog Revolution
01-07-2015, 05:21 PM
Boydy is a great example to all about what hard work, character and dedication can achieve

Has been a great player for us over a long period of time

LostDoggy
01-07-2015, 07:04 PM
Congrats Matthew Boyd.

We're all guilty of under rating him, and it's a lot of fun seeing his rebirth on the backline, but not as much fun as I suspect he's having. The hug that he and Murf shared after our Sydney victory was that of two blokes who thought they wouldn't play finals again and reinvigorated by this coach and the enthusiasm of youth, are back in love with the game.

As an aside, i reckon Boydy would be a straight shooting team mate on the field if you stuffed up. He gave Joel Hamling a right old serve when the Man Bun was able to mark on the goal line in the last quarter. He would set a very high standard both on the track and on field.

I seem to recall him ripping shreds off Jake Stringer on-field last year for a smug goal celebration. Along the lines of "That's not how we make porridge here mate."

ratsmac
01-07-2015, 08:40 PM
Congrats to a 3 time club champion, 2 time all Australian, captain and rookie. Matty will go down as a bulldog great. He is a testament of what hard can do. He has his flaws as a player as most players do, but his good way outweighs his bad. His ball use has been frustrating at times but he has turned that around this season thus far. I'm actually happy to see the ball in his hands this season and I haven't said that for years. He is also a model footballer and person. He has never been caught up in any scandals or anything untoward on or off the field. He just goes about his business and will bleed for this club. I for one am happy he plays for us.

I will put my hand up as one who wanted him to retire last year but I am so glad he didn't. We are a better football team when Matthew Boyd is playing!

Again congrats Boydy on your 250th game.

bornadog
03-07-2015, 05:02 PM
http://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/WesternBulldogs/Images/Infographics/COM0070-Boyd-Infographic_02.jpg

http://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/WesternBulldogs/Images/Infographics/COM0070-Boyd-Infographic_03.jpg

bornadog
04-07-2015, 05:36 PM
I had forgot this bit of trivia. Matty is the grandson of the famous peanut nut man

Go BOYDY

azabob
04-07-2015, 11:22 PM
I had forgot this bit of trivia. Matty is the grandson of the famous peanut nut man

Go BOYDY

No way? Serious?

Great to see Boyd kick an important goal.