PDA

View Full Version : Draft Day Extravaganza

southerncross
24-11-2007, 07:48 AM
I will be listening to the draft today and online so I will try and keep this thread updated as the names are called. Does anyone else care to name a roughie that might get called for us?
I see Matt Burgan listed a player Corey Groves as a possible selection for us. It will be interesting to see if he is on the money with this one. Grove went to the state screening so he might be a chance for us.

Go_Dogs
24-11-2007, 10:44 AM
Does anyone have a quick link to the online draft page? Navigating the AFL site is too much for me this morning.

Bulldog Revolution
24-11-2007, 10:45 AM
I am locked in also

Wondering if Joel Smouha could be the one, or perhaps th tassie basketballer Williams?

wimberga
24-11-2007, 10:47 AM
Can I grab a Link to follow the draft online please?

southerncross
24-11-2007, 11:06 AM
Jarrad Grant is our first selection.

The top 10
Kreuzer
Cotchin
Marsten
Morton
Grant
Myers
Palmer
Henderson
McEvoy
Dangerfield

southerncross
24-11-2007, 11:09 AM
11 to 17
Vezpremi
Rioli
Ebert
Grimes
Tarrant
Lobbe (surprise pick)
Taylor

First round completed

southerncross
24-11-2007, 11:10 AM
I'm surprised to see Adelaide pass on Ebert. They must have been super keen on Dangerfield.
Harry Talor to the Cats is also a big surprise. I think he is 20 or 21 but at 193cm and 90kg he is ready made

Bulldog Revolution
24-11-2007, 11:11 AM
Only Richmond stand between us and the WOOF lovechild - can tanned terry and co stand in the way again?

southerncross
24-11-2007, 11:14 AM
Our 2nd pick is Callan Ward - Sensational news

Topdog
24-11-2007, 11:14 AM
Callan Ward is a Bulldog.

Mike will be happy

Bulldog Revolution
24-11-2007, 11:16 AM
I'm surprised to see Adelaide pass on Ebert. They must have been super keen on Dangerfield.
Harry Talor to the Cats is also a big surprise. I think he is 20 or 21 but at 193cm and 90kg he is ready made

I remember the cats took a mature age Tasmanian - a few years back who then went to north after a contract dispute

Its a big call from the crows to leave Dangerfield at high school for a year

AND come on down Cal Ward

LostDoggy
24-11-2007, 11:16 AM
Callan Ward is a Bulldog.

Mike will be happy

Thinking exactly the same thing !!!!

Bulldog Revolution
24-11-2007, 11:18 AM
Our 2nd pick is Callan Ward - Sensational news

I haven't been so excited about a second round pick in years

Lobbe is a ruckman right?

southerncross
24-11-2007, 11:19 AM
I haven't been so excited about a second round pick in years

Lobbe is a ruckman right?

Only 197cm tall more of a 2nd ruckman and tall forward

Go_Dogs
24-11-2007, 11:22 AM
Great result so far, and some interesting selections. Quite surprised Crows passed on Ebert also.

Bulldog Revolution
24-11-2007, 11:23 AM
Only 197cm tall more of a 2nd ruckman and tall forward

Thats always been a player type that I've worried about selecting - ruck and key forward are such hard positions to play, its so rare a guy does both well. It took Ottens 10 years to really put it together and he doesn't play forward as much as he used to.

Go_Dogs
24-11-2007, 11:24 AM
Looking like we'll be able to snare another tall as well.

dog town
24-11-2007, 11:25 AM
Burgatron has both our picks spot on so far. Wonder if we will go for Gaertner at 35?

southerncross
24-11-2007, 11:26 AM
Thats always been a player type that I've worried about selecting - ruck and key forward are such hard positions to play, its so rare a guy does both well. It took Ottens 10 years to really put it together and he doesn't play forward as much as he used to.

And he is a 200cm combo player with a big build.

Bulldog Revolution
wide open at 35, likely gouridis and gaertner will both be available

Topdog
Adelaide almost stuffed up their pick.

southerncross
24-11-2007, 11:27 AM
PP
Rance (the Tigers must have fancied Taylor to have stuffed around for so long)
2nd round
Ward
Notte
Maric
Selwood
Pears
Hinkley
Collier
Meredith
Otten
Motlop
Whitecross
Jackky
McCarthy
Greenwood
Westhoff
Simpson

southerncross
24-11-2007, 11:27 AM
Will we get Gaertner with the next pick?

LostDoggy
24-11-2007, 11:28 AM
Hopefully Gourdis......

southerncross
24-11-2007, 11:28 AM
wide open at 35, likely gouridis and gaertner will both be available

I wonder if Gourdis might be a better prospect than Gaertner?

Go_Dogs
24-11-2007, 11:29 AM
Sam Reid?

southerncross
24-11-2007, 11:30 AM
We have gone for the hard at it midfielder in Sam Reid

Go_Dogs
24-11-2007, 11:31 AM
Another Queenslander. Hadn't heard much about him, but he sounds a good type.

southerncross
24-11-2007, 11:31 AM
Sam Reid?

187cm and 79kg and very hard at it

Bulldog Revolution
24-11-2007, 11:32 AM
We have gone for the hard at it midfielder in Sam Reid

Are we really adding some grunt to the list?

Could Gouridis or Gaertner be available with our next pick

From the AFL site: http://afl.com.au/Season2007/News/NABAFLDraftBlogwithMattBurgan/BlogArticle/tabid/8123/Default.aspx?newsId=53419

46 – CARLTON – SAM REID

Zillmere, QLD, Medium midfielder, November 7 1989, 187.6cm, 79.1kg

Although he has appeared to slide a little down the order, Reid still looks set to be claimed in this year's draft. Reid, one of Queensland's most promising prospects, has been associated with Hawthorn, Geelong and the Brisbane Lions. And the Blues are also believed to be considering him strongly, if available. This looms as Carlton's last “live” pick, as it is understood to be holding over its final selection (No.65) for the December NAB AFL Pre-Season Draft. Forward Tim Bongetti is also been linked with the Blues.

Bio: Midfielder/half-back who impresses with his ability to run-and-carry the ball. A member of the AIS-AFL Academy, Reid was among Australia’s most valuable players during the tour of South Africa in April. Well-balanced with a good athletic build, Reid is noted for his fearless attack on the ball and ability to read the play. From Zillmere FC.

southerncross
24-11-2007, 11:35 AM
Easton Wood - the first real smokey

dog town
Easton Wood at 43. Think he is a bit of a smoky that people said we might look at.

Bulldog Revolution
Eastern Wood - Camperdown ??????

Not the easiest name to google

Topdog
Pick 43 was Wood.

Those 2 could still be available at pick 49

southerncross
24-11-2007, 11:36 AM
ORMER Camperdown footballer Easton Wood is attracting AFL attention despite bypassing the traditional development system.
Wood, who attends Geelong Grammar on a cricket scholarship, chose not to play TAC Cup football last season with the Geelong Falcons.
He represented Geelong Grammar in the Associated Public Schools competition and still attracted attention from AFL club scouts with his ability and athleticism.
Geelong Falcons regional manager Michael Turner yesterday confirmed there had been ``some interest'' in Wood from AFL clubs. But
Turner stressed the national draft was tight this year.
``If Easton gets rookie drafted, good luck to him,'' he said. ``If it doesn't work out and he wants to play TAC Cup (as a 19-year-old) or get into the VFL system I'd be prepared to help him.''

TAC Cup teams can use two ``restricted'' 19-year-olds on their playing rosters.
Turner said Falcons coach Garry Hocking, who is football director at Geelong Grammar, invited Wood to pre-season training this year but he decided not to accept.
``He had a lot of cricket commitments with Geelong Grammar,'' Turner said.
``He's a pretty good athlete.''
Wood played under 18 football with Camperdown before moving to Geelong.

Go_Dogs
They have slid a long way. Hopefully we can add another tall.

Topdog
No profile on him on AFL website....

southerncross
24-11-2007, 11:38 AM
No profile on him on AFL website....

Look a couple of posts up for a bit of a write up

southerncross
24-11-2007, 11:39 AM
Boumann - 196cm versatile type from Dandenong

Go_Dogs
24-11-2007, 11:41 AM
Plays both forward and back, sounds like a good type as well. I'm quite happy thus far.

southerncross
24-11-2007, 11:41 AM
Wood has concentrated on his cricket over the last couple of years

Topdog
24-11-2007, 11:43 AM
Looks like noone wants Gourdis or Gaertner.

Go_Dogs
24-11-2007, 11:43 AM
Lots of smooth movers have been selected by the looks of things.

Will we take just one more selection?

Bulldog Revolution
24-11-2007, 11:44 AM
Boumann - 196cm versatile type from Dandenong

interesting selection

clayton has certainly backed himself in the third round with Wood and Boumann

southerncross
24-11-2007, 11:45 AM
The Eagles have done very well.

Masten - Ebert - Notte and Selwood have been terrific selections. Three of them can play senior football next year and all but Notte are strong bodies.

southerncross
24-11-2007, 11:46 AM
interesting selection

clayton has certainly backed himself in the third round with Wood and Boumann

No Gaertner or Gourdis either?

Bulldog Revolution
24-11-2007, 11:47 AM
The Eagles have done very well.

Masten - Ebert - Notte and Selwood have been terrific selections. Three of them can play senior football next year and all but Notte are strong bodies.

I know we've discussed it before but the Eagles are fabulous recruiters

dog town
24-11-2007, 11:48 AM
Often bag the AFL site but the draft tracker this year is superb. How good are the little video highlights with most of the players? Liked Sam Reids little package. Some very brave pick ups in traffic and then carrying the ball away from the congestion. Also liked Grants with the contested marking and Ward with some courageous marks.

Topdog
24-11-2007, 11:49 AM
Often bag the AFL site but the draft tracker this year is superb. How good are the little video highlights with most of the players? Liked Sam Reids little package. Some very brave pick ups in traffic and then carrying the ball away from the congestion. Also liked Grants with the contested marking and Ward with some courageous marks.

Agreed, its working very well today.

Bulldog Revolution
24-11-2007, 11:49 AM
No Gaertner or Gourdis either?

crunch time for these two with the dogs

and...we choose OKeefe

southerncross
24-11-2007, 11:50 AM
Guy O'Keefe rounds out our picks.

Grant
Ward
Reid
Wood
Boumann
O'Keefe

Only two talls and of course no ruckman. Thoughts?

Topdog
24-11-2007, 11:51 AM
Saints picked up the Gtrain again.

Go_Dogs
24-11-2007, 11:53 AM

Grant
Ward
Reid
Wood
Boumann
O'Keefe

I'm pretty happy with the outcome as one who thought we needed to add more quality run, Ward and Reid certainly seem like great acquisitions in that regard.

Grant is one that Clayton obviously is very keen on, an athletic, strong marking forward. Will be interesting to see how he comes along.

The other selections seem a bit more speculative.

Topdog
Surprised no one has picked up those 2. Everyone had them down as certaines to get drafted in the 3rd round.

Topdog
We officially passed on the last pick.

Go_Dogs
24-11-2007, 11:54 AM
Surprised no one has picked up those 2. Everyone had them down as certaines to get drafted in the 3rd round.

Agreed, they seemed shoe ins to be picked up. Perhaps they will score rookie spots somewhere.

Bulldog Revolution
24-11-2007, 11:56 AM

Grant
Ward
Reid
Wood
Boumann
O'Keefe

Grant and Boumann - super athletic tall prospects

Ward, Reid, OKeefe - harder edged 6 foot 1ish midfielders - Is this a real shift from Clayton to add some Grunt

Wood - cricketer? what size is he, reasonable athlete, fast bowler, leg spinner?

Bulldog Revolution
24-11-2007, 11:58 AM
Would you be happy if you were Fremanlte

Its basically the Essendon dumping ground - Harvey, Shaw, Solomon, Tarrant, Johnson, Bradley?

I'd be furious if I was a supporter of the Dockers

dog town
24-11-2007, 11:58 AM
From the vision O'Keefe seems to be a live wire small forward with very good vision. Couple of profiles say the same thing.

southerncross
24-11-2007, 11:59 AM
I'm pretty happy with the outcome as one who thought we needed to add more quality run, Ward and Reid certainly seem like great acquisitions in that regard.

Grant is one that Clayton obviously is very keen on, an athletic, strong marking forward. Will be interesting to see how he comes along.

The other selections seem a bit more speculative.

All players selected are running players. Even Boumann is a mobile running player.

I'm happy with the selections but it has come up well short of adding height to the list like most people seem to think we need.
Grant and Ward are esentially first round selections. Reid they hard at it midfielder or defender. Wood is the typical Clayton smokey, Boumann the athletic tall and O'Keefe the creative runner and goal kicker.
Its a good mix but....its not adding a lot to the height of the list.

LostDoggy
24-11-2007, 11:59 AM

mjp had Gourdis in the phantom draft at pick 5. 2 talls, no rucks, more mids....mixed feelings.

southerncross
24-11-2007, 12:01 PM
I think we could just about back it in that Gaertner will be looked at as a rookie.

Bulldog Revolution
24-11-2007, 12:04 PM
All players selected are running players. Even Boumann is a mobile running player.

I'm happy with the selections but it has come up well short of adding height to the list like most people seem to think we need.
Grant and Ward are esentially first round selections. Reid they hard at it midfielder or defender. Wood is the typical Clayton smokey, Boumann the athletic tall and O'Keefe the creative runner and goal kicker.

I thought he would add a third tall, what size is Wood? do we know?

That said Gouridis, Gaertner and Williams are all likely to be available for the rookie draft if we decide we want another tall prospect, but you'd also suspect we'd want to add a rookie ruckman (Renton, Bellchambers)

Interesting we get two kids from Geelong Grammar - Wood and OKeefe

The two boys from Dandenong Stingrays - Grant and Boumann

The queenslander Reid and the local boy Ward

Topdog
24-11-2007, 12:07 PM

2 guys over 190 cms is enough for me. Our defense is pretty set for talls and we have taken 2 tall forwards. No need to go overboard IMO. We also need hard running players who are hard at it.

Go_Dogs
24-11-2007, 12:14 PM
I thought he would add a third tall, what size is Wood? do we know?

That said Gouridis, Gaertner and Williams are all likely to be available for the rookie draft if we decide we want another tall prospect, but you'd also suspect we'd want to add a rookie ruckman (Renton, Bellchambers)

Interesting we get two kids from Geelong Grammar - Wood and OKeefe

The two boys from Dandenong Stingrays - Grant and Boumann

The queenslander Reid and the local boy Ward

Also a bit surprising these guys didn't get picked up. It was quite a strange draft really, imo.

Although some might look at the results that we didn't address our problems, I feel we most certainly have. Tall forwards, and some hard inside running players/utilities. It's a good mix I feel.

Go_Dogs
24-11-2007, 12:18 PM
Will any of these guys be ready to play some football next year?

Dry Rot
24-11-2007, 12:30 PM
Is it fair to say that we got the best genuine tall forward this year?

Seems like Clayton went for team needs re Pick #5, then best available?

Go_Dogs
24-11-2007, 12:35 PM
Rocket on SEN now. Basically said that it was best available at every selection, bar Wood who was a more speculative selection.

Interesting Skinny Everitt and Grant are best friends.

Bulldog Revolution
24-11-2007, 12:41 PM
Rocket on SEN now. Basically said that it was best available at every selection, bar Wood who was a more speculative selection.

Interesting Skinny Everitt and Grant are best friends.

Just to elaborate, basically Rocket said it was great that Grant was there at that pick because we considered him the best available player, who was capable of doing incredible things.

He spoke about the bonus that the local boy Ward was available and his leadership, described him as a utility inside midfielder, as he did Easton Wood the cricket scholarship recipient, who he said was 6 foot one with a huge spring, Sam Reid the Brisbane boy as a tall inside midfielder 6 foot 1-2 and then the speed of Boumann - one of the quickest guys around, good hands, potential key forward, quicker than Grant but not as agile. Didn't mention OKeefe I dont think

Go_Dogs
24-11-2007, 12:44 PM
For mine, I think Clayton sees a bit of Brennan, athletic, tall freak who could really be anything.

GVGjr
24-11-2007, 12:46 PM
For mine, I think Clayton sees a bit of Brennan, athletic, tall freak who could really be anything.

He's a different player to Brennen though even though they are both great athletes.

LostDoggy
24-11-2007, 12:47 PM
love to be able to rookie gourdis after we got a good selection of inside midfielders.

bornadog
24-11-2007, 12:54 PM
2 guys over 190 cms is enough for me. Our defense is pretty set for talls and we have taken 2 tall forwards. No need to go overboard IMO. We also need hard running players who are hard at it.

Agree, we can't go overboard on the talls. Now lets hope they say injury free.

The Bulldogs Bite
24-11-2007, 01:05 PM
I'm very happy with the draft, I think we've done pretty well. Grant @ 5 & Ward @ 19 appear to be two valuable players who could develop into fine footballers. I'm glad that we've been been able to pick up some hard running, hard nosed players. I would of been upset if we drafted outside, skinny running players (McMahon, for example) but I think Clayton has done well to acquire some blokes who aren't afraid of a contest, and can run hard & fast. Combine that with another livewire small forward - which I certainly believe we need - and another athletic KPF then I think we have done pretty well.

The fact that Gourdis, Geartner, Bellchambers & Renton were overlooked right throughout the draft is a sure sign that aren't as talented as perhaps many people thought. It'll be interesting to see what we do in the rookie draft. I hope we steer clear of midfielders, at least for the first pick. That would nail it down to a key forward or a ruck. Gourdis, Geartner, Bellchambers & Renton - who would be the best fit?

All in all, I'm pleased. The first two picks I'm very happy with, and I like the sound of Reid & Boumann.

Dry Rot
24-11-2007, 01:49 PM
When is the rookie draft?

The Underdog
24-11-2007, 02:07 PM
When is the rookie draft?

Dec 11, after the PSD