PDA

View Full Version : It's Time to Talk Seriously.

bulldogtragic
04-07-2015, 11:47 PM
Two wins out of the top four (let's not think about the first St Kilda game)
Equal 5th on points on The AFL Ladder
7th after round 14
4% difference to Tiges & GWS the teams around us
Said to have the easiest draw with North now

I think the media might start talking about us on the run home over the next rounds. Finals would have been as likely in October as Gryphon leaving two weeks earlier. As likely as Grizzly Adams having a beard. But finals is a very serious chance now. Do we change anything, do anything different? What a ride!!

AndrewP6
04-07-2015, 11:59 PM
As likely as Grizzly Adams having a beard. But finals is a very serious chance now. Do we change anything, do anything different? What a ride!!

I know what you mean, but Grizzly Adams did have a beard :D

merantau
05-07-2015, 12:06 AM
I'm waiting on the result of next week's game before I start thinking about finals. Win next week and I think we are more likely to play finals than not. Lose next week and the reverse is true. In the past we've often found ways to make it hard for ourselves. I'm hoping this year will be different. We have improved substantially c/f to last year. There is a lot more competition for a spot in the starting 22. We are winning games with some of our better not contributing much - that's a good sign. I'm more optimistic about the future than I have been for some years. I'm enjoying this season.

The Bulldogs Bite
05-07-2015, 12:35 AM
Not convinced we'll make it. We've won the last three weeks but aside from patches of good footy we've been ordinary. Next week will tell us a lot more. GC will be more difficult than our last 3 weeks.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
05-07-2015, 12:40 AM
I think we've done better than we were supposed to in Bevo's first year so now we have the pressure of winning enough games to make the finals or playing the kids and focusing on development. Can we do both?

LostDoggy
05-07-2015, 12:44 AM
We thought the same about GWS.

LostDoggy
05-07-2015, 12:44 AM
I think we've done better than we were supposed to in Bevo's first year so now we have the pressure of winning enough games to make the finals or playing the kids and focusing on development. Can we do both?

We did both in the VFL last year quite well.

Twodogs
05-07-2015, 12:51 AM
Not convinced we'll make it. We've won the last three weeks but aside from patches of good footy we've been ordinary. Next week will tell us a lot more. GC will be more difficult than our last 3 weeks.

That's the thing. We can get better. Much better. We're grinding out wins playing in fits and spurts. We've timed a flat period perfectly

Next week. We'll find out next week. It's ironic that Rocket is coaching against us next week given he's the last coach who had us in a position like this.

F'scary
05-07-2015, 12:58 AM
We have completely changed our style of playing. "Men of Mayhem" is gone. I presume because it was unsustainable. In its place we have introduced a deep defensive flood allowing the opposition plenty of room to move the ball up the field. When we have the ball we are holding it up and chipping it around a lot to give our players time to get up the ground. We dislike bombing it long and choose to handball even in the heaviest congestion.

G-Mo77
05-07-2015, 01:21 AM
I'm not even thinking about it. 1 week at a time. Haha.

Seriously I still don't think we'll make it. GC is going to be a tough one, Geelong at the Cattery, Collingwood. Win 2 of those and I may start talking.

Remi Moses
05-07-2015, 01:40 AM
I still think we'll find it tough .
Just can't sustain that mayhem footy with such a young team.
July/August was always going to be tough.
Delighted with the improvement

SlimPickens
05-07-2015, 11:39 AM
Expected us to have a lull around this time of the year. The pleasing thing is we are winning. Management of players will be key and rotating the get the best mix of youth and experience will also be important. I think we are capable of winning enough games to make finals, but would not be surprised if we lose a couple we '"should" win on the way home.

Stefcep
05-07-2015, 12:47 PM
I'm not convinced.

I take a different view if the last two wins. I don't think we ground the wins as much as the opposition didn't take their opportunities, which they surely had.

A slightly better team then Carlton and St Kilda could have seen us be down by 4 or 5 goals.

Slow movement out of defense, no real system going forward, poor decision-making, lack of clean hands, forwards not holding marks.

Play like we have the past fortnight and a belting is just around the corner.

SonofScray
05-07-2015, 12:53 PM
We are not in good form, that is plain to see. Are we a "finals team?" If we finish anywhere between 1st and 8th inclusive, then yes. :)

The Men of Mayhem stuff with fit and hungry players can get a win against anyone. The stuff we are dishing up lately is purely reliant on the fact we're more talented and a tad more efficient with our momentum than similarly placed sides. We've been susceptible to dropping another game a la St Kilda and Melbourne, but haven't which is good. Hard not to feel like we are about to be dealt with by a better performed team coming up.

It really is one week at a time for this group. They are good enough, the talent is there, the will is there. Is it enough? Every week tells us a bit more.

Go_Dogs
05-07-2015, 12:57 PM
We've given ourselves a great chance to make it, but I'm not convinced we will.

Whilst we have had some great wins, we've also fallen over the line a couple of times in recent weeks and have lost to St Kilda, Melbourne and Port who are all just mid-range sides at the moment. It's going to require a bit of luck on the injury front (as it always does) and some of our blokes who have had a quiet few weeks finding another gear.

SonofScray
05-07-2015, 01:00 PM
We've given ourselves a great chance to make it, but I'm not convinced we will.

Whilst we have had some great wins, we've also fallen over the line a couple of times in recent weeks and have lost to St Kilda, Melbourne and Port who are all just mid-range sides at the moment. It's going to require a bit of luck on the injury front (as it always does) and some of our blokes who have had a quiet few weeks finding another gear.
Of which we have had none this season. That we are hanging in there is a great sign, I am started to feel cheated we just haven't had the heads to maintain the Men of Mayhem style of footy.

Maddog37
05-07-2015, 06:59 PM
I feel there is a conscious decision to slow down our game and develop a plan b. We are struggling for form accordingly as it is not second nature and is inhibiting our game flow. Lots of learning still happening.

Teams have also worked out who our prime movers like Dal and Murph are and are sitting on them very heavily. The good thing us that blokes like Koby and Easton and Grant have stepped up. We really need Hrovat, Hunter, Crameri and perhaps Ruff to step up now for a more even spread of players.

Hotdog60
05-07-2015, 07:27 PM
I feel there is a conscious decision to slow down our game and develop a plan b. We are struggling for form accordingly as it is not second nature and is inhibiting our game flow. Lots of learning still happening.

Teams have also worked out who our prime movers like Dal and Murph are and are sitting on them very heavily. The good thing us that blokes like Koby and Easton and Grant have stepped up. We really need Hrovat, Hunter, Crameri and perhaps Ruff to step up now for a more even spread of players.

While reading this thread I was thinking the same thing. Is it some sort of player management to come out with a bang at the start of the season and get some runs on the board. Try and coast through the middle get games into the kids and try and maintain momentum.
Then at the pointy end do we go for broke and unleash the men of mayhem again to try and bring it home.
To be a fly on the wall at the coaches meetings.

bulldogtragic
11-07-2015, 08:10 PM
Serious convo people. 6th and the statistically easiest draw. Strap in.

GVGjr
11-07-2015, 08:15 PM
Serious convo people. 6th and the statistically easiest draw. Strap in.

How do we judge the team properly? Serious question.

Big chance to make the finals, not sure if we can shape it though.

bulldogtragic
11-07-2015, 08:24 PM

Poorly. The Queensland coppers are seeking warrants to charge the 22 players with theft.

Getting into finals will probably good for the players, great for the club and great for memberships and sponsorships and members upgrading too. Shape it we might not, but it's something the media will get onto the way they did with Port two years ago.

G-Mo77
11-07-2015, 08:26 PM

Probably not but it still gives kids that much needed experience at the most important end of the season.

bornadog
11-07-2015, 08:46 PM
Are we talkin the F word BT

boydogs
11-07-2015, 09:29 PM
Our best is good enough, but we only seem to bring it for about a quarter a week. Still need at least 4 wins from 8 games and the opposition isn't as easy as in the past 4 weeks, our young side might struggle to get us there

azabob
11-07-2015, 09:37 PM
Hardwick has pubically coined July big boy month.

From what i can gather this means July is the hardest part of the year for footy clubs in general.

The most important part of july is winning, not how you win, but winning.

To paraphrase Mark Mclure - you cant win the grand final in July, but you certainly can lose it.

For a club on the rise like ours, i think its fair to substitute grand final for week one of the finals.

Rocco Jones
11-07-2015, 10:33 PM
I undertand we have a soft draw but we also need to recognise our form against the better sides. We are 5-2 against sides in the top half of the ladder. We have mostly earned the apparent luxury the draw presents us with.

bulldogtragic
11-07-2015, 10:42 PM
Imagine how easier Jason McCartneys job will be if we can make finals. No one wanted to go to Port when Primus was sacked, and finals and media and selling a bright future guys like Ryder were queuing up to get a trade there. Would be nice.

Rocco Jones
11-07-2015, 10:47 PM
Imagine how easier Jason McCartneys job will be if we can make finals. No one wanted to go to Port when Primus was sacked, and finals and media and selling a bright future guys like Ryder were queuing up to get a trade there. Would be nice.

Attracting players when you're good is like making more money when you're rich. It's why I am not so worried about our ruck stocks. If we're good, how enticing is it for a ruckman who isn't getting a game because only one guy can be 1st ruck?

bulldogtragic
11-07-2015, 10:53 PM
Attracting players when you're good is like making more money when you're rich. It's why I am not so worried about our ruck stocks. If we're good, how enticing is it for a ruckman who isn't getting a game because only one guy can be 1st ruck?

Provided the AFL don't change the FA rules.... Then we are owed our time of players coming to us a genuine free agents as we start climbing the ladder. Kruezer, Luey, Danger, Tarrant are all potentials as free agents still. Henderson and others putting off contracts. I'm hoping we can make hay when the sun shines as you say.

Rocco Jones
11-07-2015, 11:01 PM
Provided the AFL don't change the FA rules.... Then we are owed our time of players coming to us a genuine free agents as we start climbing the ladder. Kruezer, Luey, Danger, Tarrant are all potentials as free agents still. Henderson and others putting off contracts. I'm hoping we can make hay when the sun shines as you say.

I gotta say, I really love Luey as a free agent prospect. Fans always want guys when they are flying, very silly way of doing business in the real world.

Thing is we can't offer crazy dollars to get these free agents for two reasons..
1- salary cap obviously
2- they need to actually want the change, want to be with us. I get money is a big influence but we can't bribe players into coming to us if we want long term and real success.

bulldogtragic
11-07-2015, 11:08 PM
I gotta say, I really love Luey as a free agent prospect. Fans always want guys when they are flying, very silly way of doing business in the real world.

Thing is we can't offer crazy dollars to get these free agents for two reasons..
1- salary cap obviously
2- they need to actually want the change, want to be with us. I get money is a big influence but we can't bribe players into coming to us if we want long term and real success.

Good observations, and I'm with you on Luey. I'd love Kruezer but that would involve trading Minson to free up salary cap room. Brisbane and Carlton need the free agency compo to rebuild than these guys, so I'm hoping Luey, Hendo and Kruezer are watching our trajectory. Catch is to get higher picks to allow them to go the overall offer needs to be pretty good ala Higgins last year - to get second round compo (4 years on $450,000 I think it was). Could or would we trade Minno (for cap space) will be my interest come fors trading season.

SonofScray
11-07-2015, 11:15 PM
Just regarding the F word, I am upgrading the word which the F represents. There is a flag which wags at the end of this journey. I'd like to go ahead of schedule and say why not us, why not now. Ignore the fact we are not in very good form and get carried away with the frequent doses of winning we are being exposed to.

hujsh
11-07-2015, 11:54 PM
Just regarding the F word, I am upgrading the word which the F represents. There is a flag which wags at the end of this journey. I'd like to go ahead of schedule and say why not us, why not now. Ignore the fact we are not in very good form and get carried away with the frequent doses of winning we are being exposed to.

If we play Freo Sydney or Hawthorne in a final we'll lose. I'm quite confident of that. I hope we do play them for that taste for a real finals team in a finals environment but I won't be getting my hopes up

jeemak
12-07-2015, 12:00 AM
If we play Freo Sydney or Hawthorne in a final we'll lose. I'm quite confident of that. I hope we do play them for that taste for a real finals team in a finals environment but I won't be getting my hopes up

It's a big step up against teams that have expected to be there for the entire year, and have been managing their player form/health/availability since round ten to be primed for it.

We are genuinely short of where we need to be physically to push any serious premiership contender, and our players have not had enough coaching to get there either (this is no slight on either the players or the coach, it's more to do with time each has had with the other).

Finals weeks one and two is where we should be aiming now. We're sixth and have a chance to hold that spot.

Twodogs
12-07-2015, 12:32 AM

I agree. I think a team is going to come from nowhere with a late run take the fourth spot and pinch a GF spot. There are a few candidates, we are one.

1eyedog
12-07-2015, 08:37 AM

I think we can beat Freo at the MCG.

Twodogs
12-07-2015, 10:51 AM
I think we can beat Freo at the MCG.

I do too. We are a better team than Freo.

Mantis
12-07-2015, 11:43 AM

They are 12-1 for good reason... I can't see us getting them in a final this year.. Different story in the years to come.

mjp
12-07-2015, 11:46 AM

On what basis? Genuinely curious as to why you see it this way.

Rocco Jones
12-07-2015, 12:25 PM

I took it as a joke/this thread turning into a bit of fun/dreaming of bigger things.

FWIW I believe:
- we are struggling but have earned the right to ease through a softer part of our draw due to our great form against the stronger teams earlier in the season
- finals experience will be amazing for both the players (young for experience, older guys would have thought they were destined to retire at the bottom) and long suffering fans
- we look dead on our feet. I've spoke to Raw Toast about this, we would be a force if you played a game every 2 weeks. I can see us winning one final but backing it up will get ugly.
- we are going to be amazing long term.

Twodogs
12-07-2015, 12:26 PM
They are 12-1 for good reason... I can't see us getting them in a final this year.. Different story in the years to come.

Their luck is beginning to turn. They are starting to get injuries

The game earlier in the year. The five goal start we gave up belied how comfortable their victory was.

I'm not saying that we are the best team in the league but I'm confident that we are better than the best team in the league. We have them covered.

Hawthorn on the other hand...

SonofScray
12-07-2015, 12:46 PM
I took it as a joke/this thread turning into a bit of fun/dreaming of bigger things.

I'm not being deliberately OTT (for a change). The opportunity exists now. It's the old cliche, tomorrow never comes. The talent is there, the ability is there, the form line has waxed and waned but I have no doubt that on our day we can roll everyone in the competition. Hawthorn are the only side who we had no answers for, but they have had off days, been vulnerable too.

Let's practice a bit of footy mindfulness. "We'll be great in a few years" is true, until it isn't. Footy is full of these rules. You're a finals side if you make the finals, a Grand Final contender if you make the Grand Final. Etc etc. on our day we can beat anyone. It will be a matter of how many days we can have. Strap in boys, enjoy the ride. To borrow from our old coach this will play out "contest by contest, moment by moment."

Rocco Jones
12-07-2015, 12:52 PM
I'm not being deliberately OTT (for a change). The opportunity exists now. It's the old cliche, tomorrow never comes. The talent is there, the ability is there, the form line has waxed and waned but I have no doubt that on our day we can roll everyone in the competition. Hawthorn are the only side who we had no answers for, but they have had off days, been vulnerable too.

Let's practice a bit of footy mindfulness. "We'll be great in a few years" is true, until it isn't. Footy is full of these rules. You're a finals side if you make the finals, a Grand Final contender if you make the Grand Final. Etc etc. on our day we can beat anyone. It will be a matter of how many days we can have. Strap in boys, enjoy the ride. To borrow from our old coach this will play out "contest by contest, moment by moment."

Yep, I'm mostly with you. I guess I thought it turned with statements about us being better than that side that is 12-1.

I agree that the best don't conform to 'it can't be done'. We were meant to come last or thereabouts, now look a strong chance to make the finals.
My main two points are:
1- don't cap expectation
2- we are not better than Freo..yet!

LostDoggy
12-07-2015, 04:20 PM
It depends on the next few weeks. If we can get a good run of wins, secure a finals berth, we can then rest a few players and be better prepared for September. If we drop a few and have to scratch across the line it gets much harder.

Twodogs
12-07-2015, 05:45 PM
It depends on the next few weeks. If we can get a good run of wins, secure a finals berth, we can then rest a few players and be better prepared for September. If we drop a few and have to scratch across the line it gets much harder.

We tinker at the edges of the team already resting and bringing in fresh young players.

But rotating some more experienced players would make sense. The cupboard is pretty bare in the midfield department though Pearce played well for Footscray yesterday. He would have to be promoted from the Rookie list though.

The bulldog tragician
12-07-2015, 06:09 PM
I wonder sometimes at the impact on playing mainly at Etihad on our long term finals success. Since Etihad was built the only team based there that has won a flag is Essendon 2000. I wish our team got more exposure at grounds that are big, wet, windy and blustery as this is where finals are played, and you see that teams that play there regularly get more experience in coping with those conditions. I've felt this year that we haven't played as well at those kinds of grounds, eg vs Port we couldn't close the space down like we usually do.

Back to the OP of course it would be a thrill to play finals again and I can really see us doing an '06' and winning a final. Hawthorn have been the only team where we looked genuinely outclassed, so who knows? I like SonofScray's thinking. As port have discovered this year,you can't assume that you'll just keep improving 10 % each year and that a narrow PF loss guarantees you a GF the next year.

But finals aren't where I'm thinking at present and I hope finals prospects wouldn't influence the end game of selections or tactics -that is what I've enjoyed about Beveridge not adopting safe selections - playing Daniel and Prudden ahead of Crameri for example. Seeing how many kids are pushing for selection, and have looked right at home when they get their chance...imagine them hitting their straps when Stringer and Bont become bona fide 10 stars week in week out in the next couple of years.

F'scary
12-07-2015, 06:49 PM
I think we are getting ahead of ourselves. Two much stronger teams to come straight up.

Twodogs
12-07-2015, 08:57 PM
I think we are getting ahead of ourselves. Two much stronger teams to come straight up.

Much stronger than us, they ain't! :)

chef
12-07-2015, 09:00 PM
Much stronger than us, they ain't! :)

Yep, the ladder don't lie.

Rocco Jones
12-07-2015, 09:01 PM
I think he means stronger than Lions/Saints/Carlton/Suns.

Twodogs
12-07-2015, 09:14 PM
I think he means stronger than Lions/Saints/Carlton/Suns.

Yeah. Probably the Cats too. I'd rather be playing them down here but they have been pretty ordinary at times this season and we can beat them next week.

Not playing the way we've played the last 3 weeks we won't though. Unless it's like we played in the last quarter yesterday. Then we'd win by 36 goals.

Rocco Jones
12-07-2015, 09:27 PM
Yeah. Probably the Cats too. I'd rather be playing them down here but they have been pretty ordinary at times this season and we can beat them next week.

Not playing the way we've played the last 3 weeks we won't though. Unless it's like we played in the last quarter yesterday. Then we'd win by 36 goals.

We have been poor in the vast majority of last three games and have still won. Let's see how much of it is about lifting when need be and just not having the legs to play four quarters week in, week out.

Sedat
12-07-2015, 09:55 PM
We have been poor in the vast majority of last three games and have still won. Let's see how much of it is about lifting when need be and just not having the legs to play four quarters week in, week out.
At the early stages of our development, I reckon this has been one of the big positives to come out of the last 3 weeks. Winning ugly has not been a strength of ours for about as long as I've been alive.

Twodogs
12-07-2015, 10:06 PM

Precisely. If I've learned anything over the time I've followed the dogs it's that you take your chances as they come up, not rely on an abstract notion of what may happen in the future. I can remember just missing the five in 1975 and everyone saying "oh well, next year. Next year we'll make the Grad Final for sure. Well, I'm still waiting.

The here is now and it's later than we think. carpe diem and all that.

Rocco Jones
12-07-2015, 10:26 PM
At the early stages of our development, I reckon this has been one of the big positives to come out of the last 3 weeks. Winning ugly has not been a strength of ours for about as long as I've been alive.

Yep. I would put Carlton and the Saints in the winning ugly basket however the Suns was something different. Winning ugly to me involves being gritty/hard/holding on etc. Against the Sun were looked like we had gone to Cairns for a boy's weekend up until midway through that third quarter, then that last quarter. That was just beautiful.

1eyedog
12-07-2015, 10:34 PM

They've been susceptible to a loss ever since we ran them to the death at Etihad. It's no joke I think if we bring our best football and a high level of pressure we can knock them over at the MCG. I'm actually surprised many doubt we can. They are good but they are starting to struggle away from W.A and when it comes to the G they are certainly no Hawthorn.

Hotdog60
12-07-2015, 10:37 PM
I just run through the ladder predictor and with the current form and fashion of teams and wearing my best rose coloured glasses I had us in 4 spot by round 21.

The best news was we beat Freo to win the cup. :)

merantau
12-07-2015, 11:23 PM
I am pretty sure we will play finals this year. Equally, I am certain, that to go into a finals campaign thinking we are just there to make up the numbers and, that our real chance comes in 2016 - 2018 is TOTALLY the wrong attitude to take. The focus MUST be on the campaign. We made the Grand Final in '61 with a team that scraped into 4th by winning the last home and away game. We were underdogs against St. Kilda, complete outsiders against Melbourne and we led the Hawks at half time only to be run over by a team which set the benchmark for fitness in a way that revolutionized the game. We had few stars in that side BTW. What we had was momentum and self-belief. This year we have the talent: add the momentum and the self-belief and we can go a long way. Remember: of finals contenders, only Hawthorn has beaten us comprehensively. The glass is half-full.

josie
13-07-2015, 12:59 AM
I wonder sometimes at the impact on playing mainly at Etihad on our long term finals success. Since Etihad was built the only team based there that has won a flag is Essendon 2000. I wish our team got more exposure at grounds that are big, wet, windy and blustery as this is where finals are played, and you see that teams that play there regularly get more experience in coping with those conditions. I've felt this year that we haven't played as well at those kinds of grounds, eg vs Port we couldn't close the space down like we usually do.

Back to the OP of course it would be a thrill to play finals again and I can really see us doing an '06' and winning a final. Hawthorn have been the only team where we looked genuinely outclassed, so who knows? I like SonofScray's thinking. As port have discovered this year,you can't assume that you'll just keep improving 10 % each year and that a narrow PF loss guarantees you a GF the next year.

But finals aren't where I'm thinking at present and I hope finals prospects wouldn't influence the end game of selections or tactics -that is what I've enjoyed about Beveridge not adopting safe selections - playing Daniel and Prudden ahead of Crameri for example. Seeing how many kids are pushing for selection, and have looked right at home when they get their chance...imagine them hitting their straps when Stringer and Bont become bona fide 10 stars week in week out in the next couple of years.

Good post Bulldogs Tragician.

Regarding playing more at grounds other than Etihad I kind of agree. Yet on the other hand I have funny feeling we might stand more of a chance beating the current top 4 if it was a bit muddy, as I think it is their around the ground marking and disposal skills that are a little superior to ours (at present i.e. we are improving). Our great win early this season against Swans was in wet conditions. Then again we are a young side so might tucker out part way through a muddy and windy day at the 'G.

I also think we'd need a few speedsters like Jong, JJ and McLean to be in the side and firing to beat the top sides.

As an aside I watched Q2 to 4 of VFL side on Sat vs Pies, and agree with Twodogs I thought Pearce played well. I think he has been good in all the VFL matches I've seen this year at WO (only missed one). Also thought Jong, Crameri, Biggs and Campbell played OK too, with Dale being standout. Like what I've seen of Roarke Smith too and number 57 (needs to fill out, seems to me to have footy smarts & reasonably agile for a tallish fella).

Cyberdoggie
13-07-2015, 09:30 AM
We need four out of the remaining eight games now.
Must win the North game, and the Port game is still looking like a must win due to those sides trying to get into the 8.

LostDoggy
13-07-2015, 10:00 AM
Looks in mirror and still sees a pessimist. I'm enjoying the ride and the wins, but still have the memories of having my heart ripped from my chest on many occasions. I can see us moving in the right direction and think a top 8 would be a bonus but we are nowhere near top 4 class (atm).

BornInDroopSt'54
13-07-2015, 10:05 AM
We need four out of the remaining eight games now.
Must win the North game, and the Port game is still looking like a must win due to those sides trying to get into the 8.

Geelong, Essendon, Melbourne and Brisbane the most likely wins to make the eight but I agree it would be good for our 2015 finals campaign to beat North and Port on the journey.

Cyberdoggie
13-07-2015, 12:53 PM
Geelong, Essendon, Melbourne and Brisbane the most likely wins to make the eight but I agree it would be good for our 2015 finals campaign to beat North and Port on the journey.

If we leave it to the games most likely to win based on ladder position, ie Melbourne, Brisbane, then it could be a mini final last round up in Brisbane.

I'm hoping we get it stitched up early and knock off Geelong, and hopefully the pies the following week. :)

BornInDroopSt'54
13-07-2015, 01:15 PM
If we leave it to the games most likely to win based on ladder position, ie Melbourne, Brisbane, then it could be a mini final last round up in Brisbane.

I'm hoping we get it stitched up early and knock off Geelong, and hopefully the pies the following week. :)

That would be very telling if we can do that. The Pies have had a tough month, including WC this week. Taylor Adams should be rubbed out for our game. It would be stupendous to knock them out of business.

F'scary
13-07-2015, 01:24 PM
That would be very telling if we can do that. The Pies have had a tough month, including WC this week. Taylor Adams should be rubbed out for our game. It would be stupendous to knock them out of business.

We sent them into a terminal slide last year, if I recall correctly.

BornInDroopSt'54
13-07-2015, 03:21 PM
We sent them into a terminal slide last year, if I recall correctly.

And we did them pre-season this year.

LostDoggy
13-07-2015, 03:34 PM
Looks in mirror and still sees a pessimist. I'm enjoying the ride and the wins, but still have the memories of having my heart ripped from my chest on many occasions. I can see us moving in the right direction and think a top 8 would be a bonus but we are nowhere near top 4 class (atm).

It's July, not March. We are sixth, and although the four points and percentage between us and fourth spot is in the context of this season a large gap, you couldn't say we're nowhere near it.

Bulldog4life
13-07-2015, 07:22 PM
It's July, not March. We are sixth, and although the four points and percentage between us and fourth spot is in the context of this season a large gap, you couldn't say we're nowhere near it.

But by his own admission Lally is a pessimist

LostDoggy
13-07-2015, 08:18 PM

To bloody right BAS!!
Who's to say we can't win all our reaining games(alright I might conceed the West Coke game) No damn it I won't.
Sure there flying at the minute,but they'll be due for a stink up soon and it might just be against us.
There's no reason why we can't make top 4 and from there anything is possible.

Rocco Jones
13-07-2015, 08:38 PM
Essendon, Port at Etihad, Melbourne and Brisbane are the 'easiest' four IMO.

Twodogs
13-07-2015, 08:41 PM
Youre a brave man Rocco, nominating 'easy' games this year,

Rocco Jones
13-07-2015, 08:46 PM
Youre a brave man Rocco, nominating 'easy' games this year,

Hence the quotation marks.

LostDoggy
13-07-2015, 08:53 PM

‘Good’ point.

Twodogs
13-07-2015, 10:12 PM

'Quotation' marks

merantau
13-07-2015, 11:37 PM
MRP has given Selwood a week off so that makes our task at Geelong a little easier. Selwood has had a dream run from umpires ever since he stepped on the field. The Master of the Shoulder Shrug has laughed at umpires for years, (behind their backs, of course!) plus he always seems to be given more time to dispose of the ball and is often given a dispensation from having to dispose of it by hand or foot - just letting it go is usually enough to satisfy the men sponsored by "Optical Prescriptions: Spectacle Makers". I am well and truly over him. Winning at Kardinia Park will do me just nicely and will really set us up for the run home.

1eyedog
14-07-2015, 12:17 AM
Hmmmm maybe...

boydogs
14-07-2015, 01:41 AM
MRP has given Selwood a week off so that makes our task at Geelong a little easier. Selwood has had a dream run from umpires ever since he stepped on the field. The Master of the Shoulder Shrug has laughed at umpires for years, (behind their backs, of course!) plus he always seems to be given more time to dispose of the ball and is often given a dispensation from having to dispose of it by hand or foot - just letting it go is usually enough to satisfy the men sponsored by "Optical Prescriptions: Spectacle Makers". I am well and truly over him. Winning at Kardinia Park will do me just nicely and will really set us up for the run home.

Yep, Geelong have been awful in the middle this year and will struggle to get their hands on it without him

Bulldog4life
14-07-2015, 09:25 AM
Not quite sure where to put this but according to snippet in the HUN the Gold Coast have made a massive offer to our fitness guru Justin Cordy. He used to work with Rocket previously at The Bulldogs.

bornadog
14-07-2015, 09:41 AM
Not quite sure where to put this but according to snippet in the HUN the Gold Coast have made a massive offer to our fitness guru Justin Cordy. He used to work with Rocket previously at The Bulldogs.

He was previously poached by Carlton.

Bulldog4life
14-07-2015, 09:51 AM
He was previously poached by Carlton.

Yes I remember that. Hope we don't lose him but if the offer is massive......