PDA

View Full Version : Bankers and Anchors - Round 15

Eastdog
05-07-2015, 08:53 PM
This is the round 15 edition of the Weekly Bankers and Anchors Thread. Once the game against Gold Coast Suns is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys that you we banked on to do the right thing during the game
The Anchors = 3 guys that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

GVGjr
11-07-2015, 07:24 PM
Bump

bulldogtragic
11-07-2015, 08:09 PM
A:

First quarter
Second quarter
Third quarter

B:

Last quarter

EasternWest
11-07-2015, 08:11 PM
A:

First quarter
Second quarter
Third quarter

B:

Last quarter

Nice one BT.

boydogs
11-07-2015, 09:11 PM
Bankers:

Talia up forward, competed really well
Macrae turning the game with clearances, hard running and elite disposal
Urgency & effort in the last, we were irresistable where in past games we have tired

Anchors:

Prudden's deer in the headlights first quarter
Talia getting outmarked by a bloke on one leg
2.5 quarters of McCartney era ball movement

AndrewP6
11-07-2015, 09:21 PM
B
Macrae - one who just kept at it.
Bont and Stringer in the last.
Murph coming good in the last.

A
Bont and Stringer in the first 3 qtrs
2012-14 all over again in the first half
Me for not booking the trip up there. Would've felt like a terrible investment for most of the day, but wow what a finish!

F'scary
11-07-2015, 09:30 PM
unbelievable - 10 goal last quarter to win by 22 points.

b: Dahlhaus, Talia, Minson for trying all evening

a: the Package for dicking a few

F'scary
11-07-2015, 09:32 PM
Bankers:

Talia up forward, competed really well
Macrae turning the game with clearances, hard running and elite disposal
Urgency & effort in the last, we were irresistable where in past games we have tired

Anchors:

Prudden's deer in the headlights first quarter
Talia getting outmarked by a bloke on one leg
2.5 quarters of McCartney era ball movement

that is pretty harsh criticism, considering we won.

boydogs
11-07-2015, 09:38 PM
that is pretty harsh criticism, considering we won.

Well we didn't win it in the first 2.5 quarters ;)

F'scary
11-07-2015, 10:11 PM
Well we didn't win it in the first 2.5 quarters ;)

fair call but still extremely harsh...but yeah, we played like shite for the first 2.5 quarter.

F'scary
11-07-2015, 10:21 PM
true macca era stuff

ratsmac
11-07-2015, 10:27 PM
Bankers

Macrae - he had a sluggish start to the season but has really turned things around.

Murphy - we could be under immense pressure down back but once the ball is in his hands the pressure is gone.

Bontempelli - we needed someone to get us fired up and the Bont finally got his game going again.

Daniel - he didn't have a massive game but his willingness to play on and get the ball moving when we were playing stagnant football was what we needed. This kid is definitely a banker and I have the funny feeling that it won't be the last time I will be saying that.

Anchors

Forwards dropping simple marks - I understand that the conditions were a little bit slippery but ffs the Gold Coast forwards were holding the simple ones.

Hunter - I like Hunter but he needs to try keep things simple. He seems to always want to do the flashy stuff. Leave that to Jake! However he did lay a great last gasp tackle at an important time.

Koby Stevens injury - terrible if he has a punctured lung. He has been playing career best footy. Hopefully he is ok.

hujsh
11-07-2015, 10:59 PM
Hunter - I like Hunter but he needs to try keep things simple. He seems to always want to do the stupid stuff. Leave that to Jake! However he did lay a great last gasp tackle at an important time.

Edited for accuracy.

I mean bombing it long over the forward heads and ignoring leads isn't flashy. It's just dumb. Lachie Hunter is a dumb footballer. Murphy is smart and Lachie is dumb. He's a big ol' dumbo.

Don't get me wrong in previous weeks he has tried to have passes be that bit too perfect and to kick goals he maybe shouldn't but that didn't really seem to be the case today IMO. Today he just seemed dumb. His forward 50 entries were a combination of Ryan Hargrave and Will Minson attempts.

always right
11-07-2015, 11:05 PM
B
Macrae.......at the ground you could see him trying to single handedly drag us back into the game. He worked unbelievably hard.
Murphy, Wood and Boyd. At the beginning of the last quarter Ai noticed the three of them get together and it was obvious that they Were setting themselves to take on the responsibility to get us over the line.
Redpath.made some terrible mistakes but he worked his arse off up and down the ground to get himself in the position to get the ball. Far more impressive than both Boyd and Stringer tonight.

A
The first three quarters were as frustrating as I have ever witnessed.
Although injured Roberts was comprehensively beaten one on one by Lynch.
Dickson was a poor contributor all match....for the third week in a row.

SonofScray
11-07-2015, 11:07 PM
B:
Picken: solid all night when others were not.
Bonti: horror 1st quarter, champion 4th quarter.
Murphy: a catalyst in us finally taking the opportunity to steal the game once it was apparent GCS were dead on their feet.

A:
JJ : a bit of a stinker
Marking inside 50 : horrid
1st quarter : putrid football.

Ghost Dog
11-07-2015, 11:19 PM
Bankers: Bont, for kicking a lifter from miles out. Stringer and Luke for never letting up.
Anchors: too much space for them in our backline for three quarters.

Raw Toast
11-07-2015, 11:21 PM
Edited for accuracy.

I mean bombing it long over the forward heads and ignoring leads isn't flashy. It's just dumb. Lachie Hunter is a dumb footballer. Murphy is smart and Lachie is dumb. He's a big ol' dumbo.

Don't get me wrong in previous weeks he has tried to have passes be that bit too perfect and to kick goals he maybe shouldn't but that didn't really seem to be the case today IMO. Today he just seemed dumb. His forward 50 entries were a combination of Ryan Hargrave and Will Minson attempts.

Hunter has been struggling, and made some poor decisions, but in his debut year we were all lauding his footy-smarts. And Murphy doesn't always make the smartest decisions either. For mine, Hunter is trying to do a bit much, and has been struggling to balance his outside play with the necessary inside-grunt work. He did some fine tackling in the last quarter, and made some better decisions, so hopefully he can get back to being the smart, impressive footballer that he initially showed significant signs of becoming.

Eastdog
11-07-2015, 11:24 PM
Bankers:

Redpath - Thought he did well today in our forward line

Murphy - Huge effort and important in the fightback in the end

Talia - did quite good when I saw him in the forward line

2nd Half especially final quarter intensity

Special mentions: Morris, Bonts, and I thought Koby Stevens early on was ok for us before he got injured

Anchors:

Stringer's dropped marks

Our 1st half that had no intensity

SonofScray
11-07-2015, 11:37 PM
Bankers:

Redpath - Thought he did well today in our forward line

I think if Boyd had Redpath's stats we'd be all very pleased. Yet part of me wants to play down Jack's game a bit, not certain why. Perhaps it was the dropped marks. On the whole, he was effective in his role.

Eastdog
11-07-2015, 11:41 PM
I think if Boyd had Redpath's stats we'd be all very pleased. Yet part of me wants to play down Jack's game a bit, not certain why. Perhaps it was the dropped marks. On the whole, he was effective in his role.

Yeah T Boyd will get there eventually its his first year with us and his certainly while maybe not set the world of fire has done many good things this year.

jeemak
11-07-2015, 11:45 PM
B:

Macrae - I forget he's still a developing footballer and expect so much from him. Today he delivered a perfectly rounded game.

Bontempelli - See above

Murphy - He hits angles via foot perfectly time and time again, and was the real reason we got moving from defence to attack

A:

Stringer - He is a bit of a boofhead if things aren't going his way, and needs to pull his boofhead in, in those circumstances. Some of his undisciplined acts are unforgivable, and time and time again I've been vindicated in saying he doesn't do the basics well enough. If he did, he'd start games better and stay in them longer.

Dickson - Seemed to have lost a thirst for getting involved when the chips were down and affecting the game with some pressure and tackling in the forward half. Needed to work harder all game.

JJ and Grant - Unacceptable to not register a single tackle for the game, considering the congested nature of the first two and a half quarters. Having nine players only registering one each was bad enough, and probably pointed to why we were so terrible for a huge portion of the game. That's eleven players registering nine tackles for the day and that's not good enough.

merantau
11-07-2015, 11:56 PM
Bankers: Murphy - ball use without peer. Bonts - is a match winner. Dale Morris - always gives 100% Wallis - did a lot of grunt work. Grant - continues to make important contributions. Wood - lifted his game in the second half. Redpath - hit the scoreboard and kept at it after making some blues. Daniel - always looked to take the game on. Winning when NOT Playing WELL.
Anchors: Stringer - was out of the action for most of the game. Needs to KISS, instead of trying to do the spectacular. Tom Boyd - dropping that mark early on was inexcusable. Still not contributing enough IMO. Our kicking for goal was very ordinary. Our third quarter misses were dismal

LostDoggy
12-07-2015, 01:44 AM
Bankers:

Grant. Didn't lay a tackle but his effort, work rate and skills were (mostly) on point all game. He made one blistering chase at the last that had him secured as BAS Banker NĂºmero Uno. Starting to forget that I dislike him.
Picken. Solid all game in every role that Bevo required of him.
Macrae. Would be even more excited if somebody told me he was in his third year of footy.

Anchors. Well, today I feel like a bloody chandler. Here goes:

Hunter. We lose a midfield engine like Kobe, we're getting smashed across the ground and the whole team is flat. So young Lachie comes on and decides to just play stupid, lazy, unaccountable football. His first few touches were direct turnovers that cost us, he constantly went the flashy look at me option rather than use his brain and even the odd thing he did right couldn't salvage his game for me. His anchor is big enough for the USS Carl Vinson.
Our marking. Don't blame the conditions, GC marked just fine. Good teams don't blame the weather. We've been dropping sitters at Etihad lately. Needs time spent on it at training.
Tom Boyd's attack at the footy. Everything else is ok but for Pete's sake Tommy Boy, go for the bloody Sherrin with intent.
Talia. Didn't work as a forward for mine.

Josh Prudden gets a leave pass as he waited a bloody long time for his debut in a trying game.

Remi Moses
12-07-2015, 01:51 AM
Bankers- just hanging in there, and not dropping their heads.
the ball movement in the second half, as I think they detected an opponent stuck in quicksand .

Anchors - dropping simple marks ! ( we butchered at least 10 shots at goal)
The tardy starts( need to address this lacklustre lifeless start)
Well done to Alistair Lynch realising there was an ambulance in the stadium! Very incisive
The countless clinics are not conducive to prepare adequately for an afl game.

jazzadogs
12-07-2015, 04:01 AM
Anchors.
Tom Boyd's attack at the footy. Everything else is ok but for Pete's sake Tommy Boy, go for the bloody Sherrin with intent.
Talia. Didn't work as a forward for mine.

The most disappointing thing about Boyd for me was that even when he did attack the footy, he dropped the marks. Outwardly he comes across as confident, but I'm not so sure. Redpath was comprehensively a better forward than him today.

And on that note, so was Talia. Although he didn't perform well on Dixon to start with, this is what he would have been preparing for all week. To then be moved into the forward line, which I imagine is a bit of an unknown for him, and snag two goals while creating a strong presence is a credit to Talia and the coaching staff.

LostDoggy
12-07-2015, 08:51 AM
The most disappointing thing about Boyd for me was that even when he did attack the footy, he dropped the marks. Outwardly he comes across as confident, but I'm not so sure. Redpath was comprehensively a better forward than him today.

And on that note, so was Talia. Although he didn't perform well on Dixon to start with, this is what he would have been preparing for all week. To then be moved into the forward line, which I imagine is a bit of an unknown for him, and snag two goals while creating a strong presence is a credit to Talia and the coaching staff.

Boyd is merely young and dealing with being the Great White Hope and the central gear of our forward line.

jazzadogs
12-07-2015, 09:43 AM
Boyd is merely young and dealing with being the Great White Hope and the central gear of our forward line.

Yep, certainly not attacking him. I'm very excited to watch him build over the next few years.

I think people need to look at Redpath in the same light...although he is older, he is still young and equally inexperienced as Boyd.

bornadog
12-07-2015, 11:32 AM
Yep, certainly not attacking him. I'm very excited to watch him build over the next few years.

I think people need to look at Redpath in the same light...although he is older, he is still young and equally inexperienced as Boyd.

6th game for Redpath, as you said, still learning and developing. I liked his game. Last week took 7 contested marks and this week 4, but importantly kicked 3 goals and could have had another two.

soupman
12-07-2015, 11:53 AM

I believe Talia was meant to be on Lynch, but Roberts spent most of the first quarter on the bench being assessed therefore Talia had to cover Dixon, not the match up he prepared for all week. Although he was poor regardless.

The dropped mark to Boyd in the first could be attributed to the sun, although he still should have taken it. It shine straight into the eye of our forwards and was only really a factor for half the first quarter, as after that it was obscured by clouds or it was night.

merantau
12-07-2015, 11:56 AM
I would be ecstatic if Redpath can continue to play well so that we have two big targets up forward. Unfortunately, both are slow which means our mids and small forwards are going to have to work harder to lock the ball in when it comes to ground. Ideally, the big blokes hold their marks so it doesn't come to ground too often!!!!

bornadog
12-07-2015, 12:03 PM
I would be ecstatic if Redpath can continue to play well so that we have two big targets up forward. Unfortunately, both are slow which means our mids and small forwards are going to have to work harder to lock the ball in when it comes to ground. Ideally, the big blokes hold their marks so it doesn't come to ground too often!!!!

Swans do it well with Franklin and Tippett.

Ozza
13-07-2015, 11:21 AM
Bankers:

Bontempelli - just simply had the most say in us winning. Quiet first quarter - but then lifted and was absolutely brilliant from quarter time onwards. Clean when others fumbled, creative when we were dour, and has found the run and carry again.

Picken - Gives us relentless effort and run every single week.

Boyd - Thought he and Macrae were keeping us in the game at times early.

Anchors:

Tom Boyd - just looked awful. Doesn't go at the footy with any confidence.
Talia - Thankfully for us, Dixon went down...so we could hide him forward. Hopefully Hamling is right to go this week.
Hunter - I don't feel like he plays team footy...or hard footy.