PDA

View Full Version : Match Committee - Round 16 vs Geelong

Eastdog
05-07-2015, 08:56 PM
If you were on the Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make for our round 16 match against Geelong at Simonds Stadium?

As always a brief explanation for your changes would add a lot of value to the discussion.

GVGjr
11-07-2015, 07:24 PM
This should be interesting.

bulldogtragic
11-07-2015, 08:21 PM
If Roughy and Hamling fit, they're back in. Dale sounds like best on and Crammers too. Hrovat to come back in vfl. Talia tried as a forward for a week, with Boyd rested.

In: Hamling, Dale, Crameri, Roughy
Outs: Hunter, Stevens (inj), Boyd (rested), Dickson/Daniel

Im not Dicko bashing, but we've got a talented forward line.

Rocco Jones
11-07-2015, 08:25 PM
In- Dale, Roughead, Hamling, Crameri
Out- Stevens (inj), T Boyd, Talia, Hunter

G-Mo77
11-07-2015, 08:33 PM
I didn't watch the first half but I think you guys are being a bit hard on Hunter. Thought he did some real good things when it counted. Something's gotta give with some players hitting their straps but I don't like yo-yoing someone. I'd leave him in personally.

Rocco Jones
11-07-2015, 08:33 PM
In: Hamling, Dale, Crameri, Roughy
Outs: Hunter, Stevens (inj), Boyd (rested), Dickson/Daniel

Caleb isn't even close to being dropped IMO. In his 1.5 games of footy, he has easily been the player who has offered most forward pressure for us.

bulldogtragic
11-07-2015, 08:36 PM
Caleb isn't even close to being dropped IMO. In his 1.5 games of footy, he has easily been the player who has offered most forward pressure for us.

Cool. Then Dickson.

boydogs
11-07-2015, 08:56 PM
Cool. Then Dickson.

Wallis played half the game in the forward line, we need him in the middle especially with Stevens out
Dickson spent too much time up the ground

GVGjr
11-07-2015, 09:48 PM
I would make a number of changes.

Out - Stevens, Hunter, T.Boyd, Prudden and Talia
In - Roughead, Hamling, Jong, Crameri and Webb

We need Jong in to replace Stevens. Crameri covers Boyd who needs a spell. Tough on Prudden but a rested Webb could be an upgrade. Hamling replaces Talia and Roughead returns.

Rocco Jones
11-07-2015, 10:03 PM

We need Jong in to replace Stevens. Crameri covers Boyd who needs a spell. Tough on Prudden but a rested Webb could be an upgrade. Hamling replaces Talia and Roughead returns.

You make a lot of good points. We do need more engine room players. I thought Jong's game in the VFL was good today but not sure about his ability to run out a game/have consistent influence. Still, he will probably beat a kids'/Prudden output and adds a much needed matured body.

I do also agree on Prudden. A harsh call but we are pushing for the finals and there are plenty of others who are stronger performers and long term prospects. Bevo seems like the type of coach to still build on his confidence even if he is a straight out.

Loved Dale's game today and hopefully we can rotate him and Webb a bit and clock in as many games as possible. Such great prospects.

Rocco Jones
11-07-2015, 10:08 PM
I think it's a real positive that we can make some obvious changes for the better. A nice bonus is freshening up the side after the trip to Cairns.

boydogs
11-07-2015, 10:23 PM
We do need more engine room players

Is it time for Boyd & Picken to play in there? Webb & Biggs could come in and play back, they are probably more deserving than Jong

Rocco Jones
11-07-2015, 10:30 PM
Is it time for Boyd & Picken to play in there? Webb & Biggs could come in and play back, they are probably more deserving than Jong

M Boyd has added more needed poise to a young team down back. He has gone from racking up largely meaningless touches to being a dead set star down back. It would be robbing Peter $20 to pay Paul $4.

Webb and Biggs aren't really engine room players. Biggs spends most of his time at HB in the VFL.

Nuggety Back Pocket
11-07-2015, 10:45 PM

It is very difficult to disrupt our defence which has been our strength with Matthew Boyd showing a new lease of life down back. Picken does play through the midfield and has an outstanding year. Jong would seem to be the logical replacement for Stevens.
We need Roughead and Hamling back in the line up. Webb appeals to me as a better player than Hunter and would be worthy of a recall.

always right
11-07-2015, 10:54 PM
I wouldn't mess with our backline, particularly the chemistry between Murphy, Boyd, Wood and JJ. Whilst a major reason we won today was through the big second halves from Bonts and Macrae, it was our running defenders who dragged us back into the game. Most of our attacking moves were launched from our backline.

Rocco Jones
11-07-2015, 10:55 PM
I posted this in the Prudden thread but relevant here too.

With Hamling and Roughy back in and only Talia out, I think there will be less defensive spots available next week. I know they are tall defenders but they will push players down the chain. I think our team is a bit overcrowded with flanker types. I know it's an outdated term but I mean guys who really can't have too much time in the engine room. It was apparent with JJ tonight, just hard for him to find a role.

Ozza
13-07-2015, 12:54 PM
Crameri is a must back in for me. Happy for him to come in for Hunter direct swap.

Although T.Boyd was very ordinary again on the weekend - I feel like we should play him at Geelong, as he is our best hope of stopping Geelong's tall defenders from marking the ball inside 50...so he is important for us.

Jong would be the logical like for like to replace Koby if he can't get up. Not ideal, but think it makes sense.

Hamling for Talia if he comes up.

IN: Crameri, Hamling, Jong (if required)
OUT: Hunter, Talia, Stevens (if injured).

Greystache
13-07-2015, 01:09 PM
In- Crameri, Hamling, Jong
Out- Hunter, Talia, Stevens (inj)

Crameri is an improvement on Hunter who I don't think is cut out to play the style we do. It wouldn't surprise me to find him looking for a new club next season. Talia was a liability in defence, and while his work forward was pretty good, I wouldn't keep him in as a forward. Jong is a like for like with Stevens if he doesn't come up.

LostDoggy
13-07-2015, 03:24 PM

I agree with every change there except Prudden/Webb. I'd leave Prudden in. I get that Webb is knocking on the door but that's fine, nothing wrong with depth. Prudden has taken so long to get a game that dropping him would hurt him mentally, and I'd imagine the rest of the group wouldn't like it either.

Doc26
13-07-2015, 05:44 PM
Just read the following which is promising for Koby.

Larkins said Bulldogs midfielder Koby Stevens could play this Saturday against Geelong after suffering a bruised lung against the Suns.

"The Bulldogs were concerned about internal damage but he's escaped with a contusion, which is low-grade bleeding into the lung," he said.

"He was able to return to Melbourne with the rest of the team on Sunday morning and the Bulldogs are optimistic he may be right to play against Geelong.

"But Koby will still have to get through a training protocol this week and see how sore he is before he can play."

SlimPickens
13-07-2015, 06:03 PM
Just read the following which is promising for Koby.

Well if Dr Larkins is saying he'll be right, chances are he is out for the season! :rolleyes:

Pickenitup
13-07-2015, 06:35 PM
In Roughy Hamling Crameri
Out Roberts inj Hunter Prudden

Rocco Jones
13-07-2015, 06:37 PM
Fletcher Roberts is out a couple of weeks with an ankle.

always right
13-07-2015, 07:14 PM
Seems to me that those predicting Prudden will be dropped have short memories. Very rare that Anyone has vp been dropped this season after just one match.

Ozza
13-07-2015, 07:26 PM
With Roberts injured - it is very important for Roughead to be ready to come back in and play key back.

Rocco Jones
13-07-2015, 07:34 PM
Another tough MC meeting this week.

With Roberts injured and Talia being poor down back against the Suns, I would go with Roughy as a full time key-defender. Tom Boyd can play alongside Redpath and offer ruck relief.

Think Crameri needs to come in and Hunter is a logical out.

Would love for Koby Stevens to be right. A much improved player who adds flexibility to our rotations. I went to the VFL game on Saturday and Jong needed constant work/struggled to get through the game. A logical replacement but feel he needs another game back in the VFL. Dale or Webb options if Jong needs more time.

Really harsh on him but thought Prudden was a bit of a liability Saturday. I don't want him dropped and get that he improved throughout the game. I would keep him for confidence reasons along with Roberts being out means there is another spot via defensive shuffle + another mature body.

Ins- Roughy, Hamling, Crameri, Jong/Webb/Dale (if Koby isn't right)
Outs- Roberts, Talia, Hunter, Stevens (if injured)

Nuggety Back Pocket
13-07-2015, 07:36 PM
Seems to me that those predicting Prudden will be dropped have short memories. Very rare that Anyone has vp been dropped this season after just one match.

I was surprised to see Prudden line up in the back pocket at the expense of JJ who struggled in the midfield. We missed JJ's run out of defence where he does his best work.

boydogs
13-07-2015, 07:44 PM
With Roberts injured - it is very important for Roughead to be ready to come back in and play key back.

Hamling should be back too. I would keep Talia in, he had a shaky start after a month out of the seniors in unfamiliar conditions but worked into the game, albeit down the other end

GVGjr
13-07-2015, 07:46 PM

I'd think the MC will stick with him but I'd be looking at other players.

Rocco Jones
13-07-2015, 08:05 PM
I was surprised to see Prudden line up in the back pocket at the expense of JJ who struggled in the midfield. We missed JJ's run out of defence where he does his best work.

Yep, that's my main issue with playing Prudden. Our backline is overcrowded with Bob, M Boyd and Wood who are all stars there.

LostDoggy
13-07-2015, 08:56 PM
Perhaps we should've played Prudden against Carlton so we could've dropped him this week? ;-) somebody could always just fudge the team sheet and backdate it right?

JohnGentStand
14-07-2015, 10:17 AM
Ins : Hamling, Roughhead
Outs: Roberts, Prudden & Selwood :)

Mofra
14-07-2015, 10:58 AM
I can't see us swinging the axe too much after that.

In: Roughy, Hamling
Out: Roberts, Stevens (inj)

We lose a runner in Stevens but Prudden & JJ can play midfield to compensate for the run. Morris & Hamling can play short if need be

The Bulldogs Bite
14-07-2015, 01:26 PM
There may be a few outs due to fatigue - pretty taxing game with the conditions and we may need to freshen up the 22.

Mantis
14-07-2015, 01:32 PM
There may be a few outs due to fatigue - pretty taxing game with the conditions and we may need to freshen up the 22.

Thinking that too... Nice that we have probably 6 to 8 players who could come in and contribute.

Now that Crameri has had a couple of games for Footscray, he needs to come back in... His ability to get up and down the ground will be very useful against Geelong.

boydogs
14-07-2015, 02:16 PM
We lose a runner in Stevens but Prudden & JJ can play midfield to compensate for the run

I'm not keen on that, we got beaten in the clearances last week and need to add a genuine mid. I still think Matthew Boyd is the man

Mantis
14-07-2015, 02:40 PM
I'm not keen on that, we got beaten in the clearances last week and need to add a genuine mid. I still think Matthew Boyd is the man

Why? He was cooked as a midfielder last year.

LostDoggy
14-07-2015, 09:01 PM
Why? He was cooked as a midfielder last year.

I think Boyd should be plan B as he was against Melb and got us back in the game

boydogs
14-07-2015, 09:08 PM
Why?

Because we're really scraping the barrel with the other options - Jong after 1 OK game back in the VFL, Pearce off the rookie list, Prudden 2nd game moved from defense

He was cooked as a midfielder last year.

He's having a good year this year and we need him in the middle as we have better options to replace him in defense than we do to come in for Stevens

bornadog
14-07-2015, 11:42 PM
Because we're really scraping the barrel with the other options - Jong after 1 OK game back in the VFL, Pearce off the rookie list, Prudden 2nd game moved from defense

He's having a good year this year and we need him in the middle as we have better options to replace him in defense than we do to come in for Stevens

Boyd has found his spot in the backline. We have options for the midfield which are preferable.

boydogs
15-07-2015, 12:45 AM
We have options for the midfield which are preferable.

Who are you thinking?

LostDoggy
15-07-2015, 08:05 AM
Is Jong fit, if so I would bring him for Koby

bornadog
15-07-2015, 09:30 AM
Who are you thinking?

I thought our midfield did a great job on the weekend without having to chuck Boyd in the middle.

I just think Boyd is passed it as a midfielder. He is playing fantastic football off the HBF and really gels with Wood, Murphy and JJ. I would n't want to break that up.

If Stevens misses, then perhaps Jong has to come in.

always right
15-07-2015, 09:57 AM
What was taxing about the conditions? They were perfect.

Think our selections need to be based on match ups this week. Roughy to come in for Roberts and play on Hawkins. Don't expect any other changes....as Talia is a better plan B for Hawkins than Hamling. Hoping Stevens comes up.

bornadog
15-07-2015, 10:02 AM
What was taxing about the conditions? They were perfect.

Think our selections need to be based on match ups this week. Roughy to come in for Roberts and play on Hawkins. Don't expect any other changes....as Talia is a better plan B for Hawkins than Hamling. Hoping Stevens comes up.

I think Crameri will come in this week. He was outstanding last week in the VFL.

boydogs
15-07-2015, 02:26 PM
I thought our midfield did a great job on the weekend without having to chuck Boyd in the middle.

I just think Boyd is passed it as a midfielder. He is playing fantastic football off the HBF and really gels with Wood, Murphy and JJ. I would n't want to break that up.

If Stevens misses, then perhaps Jong has to come in.

We lost the clearances despite winning by 4 goals. Maybe it's because we lost Stevens, but if he doesn't play we need to replace him. I agree Jong is the best option if Stevens misses and we're keeping Boyd down back

Ozza
15-07-2015, 04:41 PM
Most teams lose the clearances against Gold Coast.

bornadog
15-07-2015, 06:28 PM
We lost the clearances despite winning by 4 goals. Maybe it's because we lost Stevens, but if he doesn't play we need to replace him. I agree Jong is the best option if Stevens misses and we're keeping Boyd down back

We won the contest Poss and stoppages

LostDoggy
15-07-2015, 06:41 PM

Our game plan works best when we lose the clearances.

LostDoggy
15-07-2015, 07:57 PM
Sorry for the double post, but I was thinking about this match and the last time we beat Geelong. I know this year Geelong are a very different team than in years past, but I checked it out anyway.

Turns out, Round 21, 2009 was the last time we sang our song to Cats fans. We've lost seven on the trot at an average margin of 37.71 points. The winning game before that last win in 2009 was Round 1, 2007. Going back to that game gives us 2 wins from 13 encounters. Our top 3 players from the past 3 matches were Gryphon, M Boyd, Libba. So 1 of 3 remains, with Boyd playing a totally different (although improved) position.

Now, this year as a whole we're much improved, and Geelong are much diminished. However, I think we do need to make our MC selections with at least some view towards our opponent. Joel Selwood out for a week gives us an opportunity to really beat them at the selection table and I hope this week our MC is making changes with that in mind, as much as who played well in the Twos last weekend. Geelong have been terrible in the third and fourth quarters this year as their players have tired and by bringing back Crameri, Jong, i.e. blokes with a tank, we'll likely take the biscuits.

Otherwise, that game we thought we were seeing at three quarter time last Saturday night may just eventuate this week.

Rocco Jones
15-07-2015, 07:59 PM
I'd like Jong to come in if Koby isn't right however I am concerned about his fitness post injury. He needed constant attention from the physios during the VFL game. Ideally he would play another game for Footscray.

boydogs
15-07-2015, 08:24 PM
I'd like Jong to come in if Koby isn't right however I am concerned about his fitness post injury. He needed constant attention from the physios during the VFL game. Ideally he would play another game for Footscray.

He might just have to step up. This is our list broken down into positions showing who is playing, who is injured and who could be brought in - the mids are looking pretty thin

Defenders
Murphy (playing)
M Boyd (playing)
Wood (playing)
Prudden (playing)
Talia (playing)
Morris (playing)
Johannisen (playing)
Roberts (playing/injured)
Hamling (injured)
Fuller (injured)
R Smith (rookie)
Darley
Z Cordy
Webb
Biggs

Midfielders
Grant (playing)
Wallis (playing)
Bontempelli (playing)
Dahlhaus (playing)
Macrae (playing)
Daniel (playing)
Picken (playing)
Stevens (playing/injured)
Hrovat (injured)
Smith (injured)
Liberatore (injured)
Honeychurch (injured)
Goodes (rookie/injured)
Kelly (rookie)
Pearce (rookie)
Hamilton
Jong

Forwards
Hunter (playing)
Stringer (playing)
T Boyd (playing)
Dickson (playing)
Redpath (playing)
McLean (injured)
Crameri
Dale

Rucks
Minson (playing)
Roughead (injured)
Campbell
A Cordy

soupman
16-07-2015, 10:12 AM

I like Jong but this coupled with his complete lack of confidence since his injury has me reluctant to name him.

bornadog
16-07-2015, 11:52 AM
In: Roughead, Crameri (hopefully Stevens is ok)

Out: Roberts, Dickson (needs to find form, three weeks now he has been poor)

Avoid the rush
16-07-2015, 11:59 AM
I like Jong but this coupled with his complete lack of confidence since his injury has me reluctant to name him.

Jong is managing a groin injury and needs another one or two hit outs in the twos.

Greystache
16-07-2015, 05:39 PM
Revised my thoughts with injuries now decided

In- Crameri, Roughead, Campbell
Out- Roberts (inj), Minson, Hunter

Roughead to replace the injured Roberts. Crameri for Hunter. Campbell to get an extended run to see if he can take over from Minson who just doesn't offer enough.

Mitcha
16-07-2015, 06:20 PM
If Hamling is fit he must come in and play on Hawkins. Seem to remember when we got him that he learnt a lot by playing on Hawkins during training/match simulation. Hawkins is a lead out type rather than sitting under the high ball and Hamling would be the only one with the athleticism to go with him.
So for me, Hamling for Roberts (inj), Roughhead for Talia, Crameri for Hunter, Campbell for Minson.
Would be stiff dropping Talia and Hunter after one game back but a good position to be in. Also assuming that Stevens is passed fit to play. Dale for Prudden would also work for me.

The Bulldogs Bite
16-07-2015, 06:56 PM
If Hamling is fit he must come in and play on Hawkins. Seem to remember when we got him that he learnt a lot by playing on Hawkins during training/match simulation. Hawkins is a lead out type rather than sitting under the high ball and Hamling would be the only one with the athleticism to go with him.
So for me, Hamling for Roberts (inj), Roughhead for Talia, Crameri for Hunter, Campbell for Minson.
Would be stiff dropping Talia and Hunter after one game back but a good position to be in. Also assuming that Stevens is passed fit to play. Dale for Prudden would also work for me.

Hamling would get slaughtered. Roughead (hopefully) is fit enough to come in and play on Hawkins. Although Hawkins does lead, he prefers one-on-one contests - it's where he's most dangerous as he isn't exactly agile or mobile.

Roughead is our only choice IMO.

bornadog
16-07-2015, 07:18 PM
Teams

In: Roughead, Crameri, Campbell and Dale

Out: Minson, Roberts, Talia and Hunter

divvydan
16-07-2015, 07:22 PM
That mean Morris has to play tall this week?

whythelongface
16-07-2015, 07:23 PM
Teams

I like those Ins. Great to see Campbell get a run. Hope he makes the most of it.

whythelongface
16-07-2015, 07:24 PM

It looks that way. Hamling must still be injured.

chef
16-07-2015, 07:27 PM

Or Roughead plays back.

divvydan
16-07-2015, 07:29 PM
Or Roughead plays back.

Well both as Morris will have to play on Walker/Kersten.

LostDoggy
16-07-2015, 07:41 PM
Geelong dropping Dawson Simpson is interesting. Blicavs hasn't been playing ruck. So that leaves Josh Walker to be the number 1 ruck. He's about Crameri's height?

Think that shows they dont rate our ruck division at all.

Duncan is a massive in. Thought he was still a couple of weeks away. Bugger!

azabob
16-07-2015, 07:43 PM
Teams

Great changes, love them.

Glad to see Dale get rewarded again.

bulldogtragic
16-07-2015, 07:45 PM
Is Campbell playing for his career?

comrade
16-07-2015, 07:50 PM
No Hamling is a shame but Kersten and Walker are pretty average so I can see Wood and Morris taking them without issue. Must restrict easy ball to Hawkins but love that we have a bloke like Roughy that can go back when needed.

Great to see TC in. MUST take his chance right now and if he does, could well be the end for Will at the Doggies.

Crameri is another good in, as is Dale.

Must say I'm rapt with the ins, just a shame about Roberts going down.

Axe Man
16-07-2015, 07:54 PM
Geelong dropping Dawson Simpson is interesting. Blicavs hasn't been playing ruck. So that leaves Josh Walker to be the number 1 ruck. He's about Crameri's height?

Think that shows they dont rate our ruck division at all.

Duncan is a massive in. Thought he was still a couple of weeks away. Bugger!

Walker is 196cm. Simpson being dropped is more to do with him being a giant potato.

Kersten at 191cm is a fine matchup for Morris or even Wood if need be. Morris will probably need to take Walker if he spends time forward.

The Pie Man
16-07-2015, 08:06 PM
Fair whack to Talia given both Roberts & Hamling are out. I get he was poo early last week, but this still surprises me.

Remi Moses
16-07-2015, 08:07 PM
Decent changes .
Obviously the second ruck will be taken up by Redpath and Boyd
Roughead's got a big job on Hawkins

F'scary
16-07-2015, 08:10 PM
Thoughts on who is the sub?

comrade
16-07-2015, 08:16 PM
Fair whack to Talia given both Roberts & Hamling are out. I get he was poo early last week, but this still surprises me.

His first half last week was as bad as you'll ever see. Looked completely incompetent and it was only Dixon's injury that saved him from further embarrassment.

That being said...

He clearly suffers from nerves/anxiety and yo-yoing him from Footscray to WB probably isn't helping. He needs clear direction. Do this for a few weeks in the 2s and you'll get a block of games in the seniors regardless of the result (as long as the effort is there).

comrade
16-07-2015, 08:17 PM
Thoughts on who is the sub?

Prudden?

Doc26
16-07-2015, 08:19 PM

Not overly surprised based on how far off it he was last week but it is certainly a fair whack. He's still unsigned for next season isn't he ?

ReLoad
16-07-2015, 08:26 PM
Is Campbell playing for his career?

No, we all know that ruckman take longer to develop and he hasn't been given a decent crack at anything yet. his limited senior appearances have been positive. (he is a 20 gamer, Minsons first 20 games were deplorable)

Id like Campbell to get a decent 6 week crack and another pre season followed by another 6 week crack.
Once he hits 50 games we should have a fair idea of where he is at.

What is interesting is his choice over Cordy, given Cordy s form int he VFL has been pretty good.

F'scary
16-07-2015, 08:28 PM
Prudden?

You would think that Daniel and Crameri would be certain starters. I would go with Prudden too as Dale brings something a little different to the team.

comrade
16-07-2015, 08:32 PM
No, we all know that ruckman take longer to develop and he hasn't been given a decent crack at anything yet. his limited senior appearances have been positive. (he is a 20 gamer, Minsons first 20 games were deplorable)

Id like Campbell to get a decent 6 week crack and another pre season followed by another 6 week crack.

What is interesting is his choice over Cordy, given Cordy s form int he VFL has been pretty good.

Cordy got his extended shot and didn't grab it. TC should now get his, like you say.

F'scary
16-07-2015, 08:35 PM
Geelong has a pretty big and beefy backline. Toyd and Redders will have their work cut out for them.

comrade
16-07-2015, 08:52 PM
Geelong has a pretty big and beefy backline. Toyd and Redders will have their work cut out for them.

At least the Cats backmen will have their hands full.

Redders was a lone hand up there last year and got torn a new one. With Toyd to take a big defender, hopefully someone gets off the chain.

bornadog
16-07-2015, 09:13 PM
Prudden?

Good choice, I hope its not Dale

bornadog
16-07-2015, 09:16 PM
Not overly surprised based on how far off it he was last week but it is certainly a fair whack. He's still unsigned for next season isn't he ?

What I have seen of him at VFL level, he hasn't set the world on fire and last week's effort was poor till he went forward.

Nuggety Back Pocket
16-07-2015, 09:42 PM

Campbell is a far better ruckman than Cordy and deserves his chance after playing very well with Footscray last week. TC started the season with a shoulder injury which restricted his chances of a senior recall. Needs to improve his mobility around the ground but does have the rucking and marking skills to be a key big man going forward.

F'scary
16-07-2015, 09:44 PM
At least the Cats backmen will have their hands full.

Redders was a lone hand up there last year and got torn a new one. With Toyd to take a big defender, hopefully someone gets off the chain.

cheers, they will be hoping we just bomb it long to contests all day and may structure their game around forcing us to do that when going forward. Could be interesting tactically, how to take apart an oversized back line.

LostDoggy
16-07-2015, 10:01 PM
Sorry for the double post, but I was thinking about this match and the last time we beat Geelong. I know this year Geelong are a very different team than in years past, but I checked it out anyway.

Turns out, Round 21, 2009 was the last time we sang our song to Cats fans. We've lost seven on the trot at an average margin of 37.71 points. The winning game before that last win in 2009 was Round 1, 2007. Going back to that game gives us 2 wins from 13 encounters. Our top 3 players from the past 3 matches were Gryphon, M Boyd, Libba. So 1 of 3 remains, with Boyd playing a totally different (although improved) position.

Now, this year as a whole we're much improved, and Geelong are much diminished. However, I think we do need to make our MC selections with at least some view towards our opponent. Joel Selwood out for a week gives us an opportunity to really beat them at the selection table and I hope this week our MC is making changes with that in mind, as much as who played well in the Twos last weekend. Geelong have been terrible in the third and fourth quarters this year as their players have tired and by bringing back Crameri, Jong, i.e. blokes with a tank, we'll likely take the biscuits.

Otherwise, that game we thought we were seeing at three quarter time last Saturday night may just eventuate this week.

In our defence we haven't been the best side since 2009 and Geelong are like Norf they most of the time seem to get us at a good time. I'd love to see the stat on how many times since then we are coming off a 6 day break, an interstate game or both. This week is no different and it was Cairns!!

jeemak
16-07-2015, 10:04 PM

Roughead plays tall in defence, and Boyd/Redpath assist Campell in the ruck.

I'm really happy Campbell gets his chance. We need to know whether he can play and he deserves three or four weeks in the role even if he stinks it up first time around. He's earned the right to a decent shot.

Happy Days
16-07-2015, 10:37 PM
Good opportunity for Campbell to show what he can do - the dirty little secret being hidden behind the media's weird obsession with the world's tallest tagger is that Geelong's ruck division is pathetic, made even worse with the inclusion of Walker to play 3rd ruck. If we play smart at the stoppages (i.e: use the player Blicavs is tagging as first port of call, curb the third man up with that player, etc.) we should have a clear advantage.

G-Mo77
16-07-2015, 10:48 PM
I guess I'm one of the few or only one who is disappointed Hunter got dropped. I don't think he's had a game which hasn't been involved with a green vest. Would like to have seen him get a string of games together.

Great to see Campbell as R1 this week.

bornadog
16-07-2015, 10:50 PM
I guess I'm one of the few or only one who is disappointed Hunter got dropped. I don't think he's had a game which hasn't been involved with a green vest. Would like to have seen him get a string of games together.

Great to see Campbell as R1 this week.

I am also surprised he only got a part game. He didn't play well but hasn't had a chance yet this year to play a full game.

G-Mo77
16-07-2015, 10:54 PM
I am also surprised he only got a part game. He didn't play well but hasn't had a chance yet this year to play a full game.

I thought he did pretty well in the 4th. Very few were any good for 3 quarters.

I'd have Prudden out before Hunter.

Hotdog60
16-07-2015, 11:04 PM
Hunter's demise might have been the lack of poise to honour the couple of leads and decided to bomb it over their heads. All's well and good if you kick the goals but he didn't.

jeemak
16-07-2015, 11:06 PM
Hunter's demise might have been the lack of poise to honour the couple of leads and decided to bomb it over their heads. All's well and good if you kick the goals but he didn't.

Agree, his first few touches pretty much sealed his fate.

kruder
16-07-2015, 11:07 PM
I thought he did pretty well in the 4th. Very few were any good for 3 quarters.

I'd have Prudden out before Hunter.

What it tells me is that he is very unlikely to be at the football club much longer.

G-Mo77
16-07-2015, 11:08 PM
What it tells me is that he is very unlikely to be at the football club much longer.

No don't think so either kruder.

Bulldog Joe
16-07-2015, 11:50 PM

While he may be a trade option, I think we are hasty in our assessment of young players. There were plenty willing to dump Mitch Wallis in his 2nd/3rd year.

merantau
17-07-2015, 12:32 AM
I think we need to see a both a bit more of Hunter and a bit more from Hunter. If we tick off the former and he doesn't tick off the latter then, yes, it's time to make a decision about him. But we have to give him a fair go first.

kruder
17-07-2015, 12:52 AM
While he may be a trade option, I think we are hasty in our assessment of young players. There were plenty willing to dump Mitch Wallis in his 2nd/3rd year.

I'm just reading between the lines. The club hasn't really given him a crack this year its pretty obvious they are not happy with his game. We are also long flankers, hence how I put two and two together...

SlimPickens
17-07-2015, 07:23 AM
Like the ins. I hope TC can take his opportunity but also gets a few weeks to do so. He has slowly built up his form at VFL level after a shoulder reco in the off season, so with prolonged good form he does deserve his chance.

Our forward line looks so much stronger with Crameri and Stinger on the flanks.

Wonder if Geelong will back Blicavs to do a job on one of our talls, allowing Taylor to go forward against us. Seems to be Geelongs MO when they play the dogs.

Mantis
17-07-2015, 09:54 AM
Wonder if Geelong will back Blicavs to do a job on one of our talls, allowing Taylor to go forward against us. Seems to be Geelongs MO when they play the dogs.

Playing Blicavs in defence, which they haven't done all year, will leave them exposed in the ruck with Walker more a forward/ruck.

Agree that they would like to push Taylor forward, which has the potential to expose our short defence, but Geelong don't have the flexibility within their line-up as they have had in the past.

Doc26
17-07-2015, 10:44 AM
Dawson Simpson still listed as an emergency. Wouldn't be that surprised to see him come in.

JohnGentStand
17-07-2015, 10:58 AM
Are we that confident Koby will play?
I wouldnt be surprised at a late omission and a sub vest for Lachie

Scorlibo
17-07-2015, 11:33 AM
Hunter made some key plays in the 4th quarter of the Gold Coast match - a tackle that created a turnover, ran 60+metres to apply pressure to a lone Suns player who duly kicked it out on the full, a well centred ball to Talia in the goal square. Very surprised to see him miss out after his efforts in that quarter.

Hotdog60
17-07-2015, 12:00 PM
Hunter made some key plays in the 4th quarter of the Gold Coast match - a tackle that created a turnover, ran 60+metres to apply pressure to a lone Suns player who duly kicked it out on the full, a well centred ball to Talia in the goal square. Very surprised to see him miss out after his efforts in that quarter.

I suppose it was the effort when we were under pressure in the first 2 and half quarters. He needed to be smarter and I know he wasn't alone and he did improve when the team improved. So maybe the coaches didn't look at the efforts in the last because we were on top across the board so decisions were made from earlier involvement.

Don't get me wrong I'm not bashing Hunter, I like what he could bring to the side. He is still young and still trying to find his feet at AFL level. I get the feeling he maybe one of those players that the penny doesn't drop until he gets to his early 20s and 50-60 games under his belt.

bornadog
17-07-2015, 12:12 PM
I suppose it was the effort when we were under pressure in the first 2 and half quarters. He needed to be smarter and I know he wasn't alone and he did improve when the team improved. So maybe the coaches didn't look at the efforts in the last because we were on top across the board so decisions were made from earlier involvement.

Don't get me wrong I'm not bashing Hunter, I like what he could bring to the side. He is still young and still trying to find his feet at AFL level. I get the feeling he maybe one of those players that the penny doesn't drop until he gets to his early 20s and 50-60 games under his belt.
i think you are right. We can see he has the ability and skills to be an AFL player, but just needs to get use to the pace and concentrate on team play. He is still very young at 20 years old and just needs to keep working hard to make it.

Eastdog
17-07-2015, 02:13 PM
I like those Ins. Great to see Campbell get a run. Hope he makes the most of it.

Yep same here. So happy to see Tommy get a go and to see how he can handle it at AFL level. Hoping he can really contribute. Good to see Crameri back as he will add a bit more substance to the forward line. Roughy is important down back and Dale is still young but good to see him in action again.

We are a very good chance to finally knock off Geelong especially on their home turf. Last time I think we beat them was in 2009. How do you see is approaching this game. Will we make more of a defensive game or just for out attack from the start.

Cyberdoggie
17-07-2015, 02:26 PM
So that leaves only Z Cordy, Darley, Hamilton and Fuller from the available senior list that haven't had a game this year I believe.
Shows that we are giving as much exposure as we can considering we haven't had a huge injury list.

Eastdog
17-07-2015, 02:44 PM
So that leaves only Z Cordy, Darley, Hamilton and Fuller from the available senior list that haven't had a game this year I believe.
Shows that we are giving as much exposure as we can considering we haven't had a huge injury list.

That has been the theme with us this year: "debutants".

Cyberdoggie
17-07-2015, 02:45 PM
Interesting stat on the AFL website:

Geelong are -24.5 points per game in redtime (after 20 min mark).
9 points worse than any other team.

So I guess they don't run out quarters very well.

G-Mo77
17-07-2015, 07:53 PM
Are we that confident Koby will play?
I wouldnt be surprised at a late omission and a sub vest for Lachie

Yeah think that could happen as well.

Scorlibo
18-07-2015, 02:43 PM
Yeah think that could happen as well.

Bingo.