PDA

View Full Version : Easton Wood - the smokey

bornadog
24-11-2007, 02:33 PM
Wood in draft mix
PETER FLETCHER
November 2, 2007

FORMER Camperdown footballer Easton Wood is attracting AFL attention despite bypassing the traditional development system.

Wood, who attends Geelong Grammar on a cricket scholarship, chose not to play TAC Cup football last season with the Geelong Falcons.

He represented Geelong Grammar in the Associated Public Schools competition and still attracted attention from AFL club scouts with his ability and athleticism.

Geelong Falcons regional manager Michael Turner yesterday confirmed there had been ``some interest'' in Wood from AFL clubs. But
Turner stressed the national draft was tight this year.

``If Easton gets rookie drafted, good luck to him,'' he said. ``If it doesn't work out and he wants to play TAC Cup (as a 19-year-old) or get into the VFL system I'd be prepared to help him.''

TAC Cup teams can use two ``restricted'' 19-year-olds on their playing rosters.

Turner said Falcons coach Garry Hocking, who is football director at Geelong Grammar, invited Wood to pre-season training this year but he decided not to accept.

``He had a lot of cricket commitments with Geelong Grammar,'' Turner said.

``He's a pretty good athlete.''

Wood played under 18 football with Camperdown before moving to Geelong.

Bulldog Revolution
24-11-2007, 03:02 PM
Did we know if he played in the Under 16 Nationals?

bornadog
24-11-2007, 04:16 PM
Did we know if he played in the Under 16 Nationals?

He played Schoolboy cricket for awhile and got a cricket scholarship to Geelong Grammar , so not sure about his footy.

bornadog
24-11-2007, 04:20 PM
Name: Easton Wood
DOB: 4/09/1989
Height: 184 cm
Weight: 82 kg
Recruited From: CAMPERDOWN
Position: Medium midfielder
Bio: Athletic running midfielder with a huge leap. Tough hard player.

He is on SEN now.

- Didn't play TAC due to playing for Geelong Grammar.
- Wasn't expecting to be drafted, but a few scouts were snifing around
- Played at Camperdown, since 8 years old
- Enjoys the tough stuff
- Only played 8 APS games this year, so footy a bit under done, but believes fitness is good.
- Tiger fan till now
- Father lives in Footscray:)
- Aiming to be a physio at Uni.
- Extremely happy.

LostDoggy
24-11-2007, 05:30 PM
He has a good frame,well built.

Sockeye Salmon
25-11-2007, 12:05 AM
One of his teachers rang up SEN.

He said a fair bit of what has already been reported but also saif that Wood's father was an Olympic triple jumper and his mother was also a Commonwealth games athlete as well.

Wood was an U17 state rep sprinter up to 400m.

The Coon Dog
25-11-2007, 05:39 AM
Dogs unveil bright spark (http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,22816015%255E19742,00.html)

25 November 2007 - Sunday Herald - Sun Jon Ralph

THE Bulldogs simply cannot resist the draft smoky.

The latest in a long line of draft surprises from recruiting manager Scott Clayton was yesterday revealed as former Camperdown cricketer Easton Wood.

Wood is described as a 184cm jumping jack who skipped TAC Cup football to take up a "general excellence" scholarship at Geelong Grammar.

The Dogs used a mid-range pick - No. 43 - to select him, but with his strong body, massive leap and room for improvement, they clearly think he has what it takes to excel in elite competition.

"We've basically had him down a mine shaft for the last few months," Clayton said with a laugh.

Wood's best mate and the Dogs' No. 63 pick Guy O'Keefe also shone for Geelong Grammar this year and must have alerted the club's interest.

Wood, 18, who moved from Camperdown two years ago to take up his sporting and academic scholarship, described his drafting as "a fairytale".

Like the Dogs' previous private-school draftee, Will Minson, Wood has a long list of hobbies, a way with words and an interesting background.

His Australian parents lived in New Zealand a generation ago where they represented that country in athletics.

His father was a triple-jumper in the Edmonton Commonwealth Games in 1978, while only glandular fever prevented his mother entering the 400m.

Wood has jumped 1.90m in the high jump, won a state championship and jumped 13.85m in the triple jump, and has stopped the clock at 51secs in the 400m.

"The reason I didn't do the TAC Cup was I was trying out for the Victorian cricket squad," Wood said.

"I was going well, but got cut in the last round. My back started to go and I struggled with cricket and had to just bat. But I managed my back through the footy season and had a couple of good games.

"I had spoken to Scott Clayton and he said, 'We are interested and are looking at you for the draft'.

"It was great to hear my name called out. It was much earlier than expected. It happened to be my mum's birthday, so the family was around and we tuned into the radio . . . everyone was very pleased."

Clayton said the Dogs couldn't resist the package Wood presented.

"We saw him at school during the course of the year and we just thought we would save him for a rainy day," he said.

"A lot of other clubs entertained him.

"I watched him less than I normally would, simply because we didn't see him until late in the year.

"But I watched him a couple of times.

"It was a wide draft and there were a lot of different chances . . . he was one we were prepared to go with."