PDA

View Full Version : Bankers and Anchors - Round 16

Eastdog
17-07-2015, 09:10 PM
This is the round 16 edition of the Weekly Bankers and Anchors Thread. Once the game against Geelong is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys that you we banked on to do the right thing during the game
The Anchors = 3 guys that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

GVGjr
18-07-2015, 04:36 PM
Bump.

bulldogtragic
18-07-2015, 05:16 PM
Dahl - amazing
Wally - good effort
Tory - kicked well

Roughead - his worst ever game. Embarrassing for him.
Dale - didn't see him out there
Hunter - didn't impact the game at all

whythelongface
18-07-2015, 05:17 PM
Geez BT pretty rough giving Hunter an anchor when there were plenty more deserved who played the whole game.

bulldogtragic
18-07-2015, 05:21 PM
Geez BT pretty rough giving Hunter an anchor when there were plenty more deserved who played the whole game.

Perhaps, but I only get three. I'm pretty sure the remainder of this thread will nail the rest.

whythelongface
18-07-2015, 05:21 PM
Bankers
Dahl - gave his all and was our best
Dickson - the only one who hurt the scoreboard
Wallis - was in amongst it all day.

Anchors
Our inability to score. We should have a cracking offensive game but lately (apart from that 10 goal last quarter) it has turned to poo
Stringer - floats in and out of games. Has the ability but needs to work harder
Roughy - worst game he has played - lacking confidence at the moment.

bornadog
18-07-2015, 05:26 PM

I thought he did ok, came on and picked up 10 disposlas and used the ball well

jazzadogs
18-07-2015, 05:27 PM
Dahlhaus is showing the world that, while certainly not in the same class, he is moving closer to BMac's comparison to Gary Ablett's early years.
Redpath and Dickson presented well as forwards, Dickson did well to finish his chances.
I'm struggling to find a third positive.

Inability to not only take our chances, but to CREATE chances inside 50. It's been the same for the past month. Stringer pulls one out of the bag per game, but there is no consistent forward structure other than 'kick it long, get Boyd/Redpath to contest and then the smalls can crumb'. It's not sustainable.
Tom Campbell's ruck work. He was good around the ground, but Blicavs would continuously stay down and rove to the double handed palm down from TC, straight down his throat. Would have liked to see him down forward.
Roughead was abhorrent. Not only dropping uncontested marks (not for the first time this year!) but being soundly beaten one-on-one. Also probably Easton Wood's worst match for the year.

AndrewP6
18-07-2015, 05:30 PM
B
Dahl
Wally
Dicko

A
Roughead
Stringer
Crameri

Greystache
18-07-2015, 05:31 PM
Bankers

Dahlhaus- Great 4 quarter performance. Tireless effort.

Dickson- Our only forward on the day.

Wallis- Battled hard and kicked a couple although was probably beaten on the day. Hunter was very good when he came on.

Anchors

Roughead- Worst on the ground by a long way

Murphy- Terrible defensive game.

Marking- Lost the count by 33 ffs

bornadog
18-07-2015, 05:36 PM
Bankers

1. Dickson set shot kicking - needs to show others at training how it's done
2. Tom Boyd in the ruck - looked ok for a 19 year old
3. Dahl - wow works bloody hard

Anchors

1. Per others - Roughead
2. Crameri - really disappointed with him this year.
3. Dumb football heading into the F50

Eastdog
18-07-2015, 05:43 PM
Bankers:

Redpath - liked him up forward today

Dickson - ditto

Dahlhaus - just works very hard

Anchors:

Not taking our chances in the game.

Campbell - disappointing considering was looking forward to him taking the game on.

JJ - a quieter day compared to other days but I still like him as a player and his an important part of our team

Eastdog
18-07-2015, 05:44 PM
I have to say that Crameri effort in defence denying Johnson a goal was great.

merantau
18-07-2015, 06:43 PM
Bankers
Dahlhaus - tireless, courageous,
Wallis - ditto
Macrae - he and Dahl and Wally kept us within reach.
Caleb Daniel - I can't recall him making too many mistakes when he had the ball. For a kid in his third game he shows a lot of poise.
Jack Redpath - I like his aggression. Has the power to hurt opposition defenders/mids. We haven't had that up forward for a long while.
Anchors
Our delivery into the forward 50 was pretty appalling all day.
Some of our name players are disturbingly inconsistent (Crameri, Stringer, Bonti) and need to turn this around over the next few weeks.
Lack of clean hands and poor execution by hand and foot held up many of our attacking moves.

F'scary
18-07-2015, 08:00 PM
B: Dahlhaus, Macrae, Wallis in particular kept us in the game
A: Being outmarked in our forward line all match: Toyd, Stringer, Crameri no marking threat today.
Being outmarked on their forward line. The absence of Roberts, Hamling and Talia showed, I thought.
Running off the man with the ball. For much of the match, instead of pressuring the ball carrier we ran off them to cover the spread and allowed the carrier to have a second burst.

always right
18-07-2015, 08:13 PM
B.
Wallis....shows great leadership
Redpath....didn't take his chances but presented tint and time again. Not his fault his leads were not honoured.
Dahlhaus....never gives up

A
FFS....lower your eyes going forward
Continually overused the ball in the first half
Our stoppage work....we were slaughtered

ratsmac
19-07-2015, 12:08 AM
Bankers

1. Dahl - he works so hard offensively and defensively.
2. Daniel - he's a ripper. I love the way he holds the ball up as high as he can keeping his arms out of the tackle. He is a one touch player, he never fumbles.
3. Dickson - dead eye Dickson!

Anchors

1. Stupid simple skill errors - how many times we coughed up the ball from a miss kick or handball was the difference.
2. Geelong having such a big home ground advantage - they are blessed to still have kardinia Park available for afl matches. Not fair!
3. Forward line - or delivery into the forward 50m. We need to develop a new strategy here. We need to at least hit a target. And when we hit the target mark the flippin thing. So frustrating.

Remi Moses
19-07-2015, 12:58 AM
B- Dahl ( great game )
Daniel ( just so good with ball in hand)
Dickson ( for a medium forward, which can be starvation corner. Good game
A- overuse of handball, we are over possessing the ball and need more composure
- kicking into the forward half is an issue
- having football matches an hour outside of Melbourne, and fan base not being able to attend.
Until Geelong can bump up the capacity they should be playing interstate teams only

SonofScray
19-07-2015, 12:46 PM
B- Dahl ( great game )
Daniel ( just so good with ball in hand)
Dickson ( for a medium forward, which can be starvation corner. Good game
A- overuse of handball, we are over possessing the ball and need more composure
- kicking into the forward half is an issue
- having football matches an hour outside of Melbourne, and fan base not being able to attend.
Until Geelong can bump up the capacity they should be playing interstate teams only

Thee was only 21k there yesterday, I think the venue holds 32k? The cost of a seat there is very steep though.

Bankers:
1. Wally took a knock to the back that had him hurting early yet maintained a high standard. He has been solid for a few weeks when we've had others down.
2. Dickson took his limited chances.
3. SisterofSonOfScray for sorting out tickets.

Anchors:
1. Redpath's last touch. Really made a mess of the last roll of the dice.
2.Tackling seemed really ineffective.
3. We were out marked all over the field. A real concern.

Remi Moses
19-07-2015, 03:50 PM
That's the issue as its to expensive
I heard it was 70 for a seat, which if true is outrageous
Poor crowd

Flamethrower
19-07-2015, 04:06 PM
Only 250 reserved seats are made available for visiting team members at Geelong. There were a handful of these still available on Friday. These were $68 each (plus Ticketmaster booking fee).

There were also a few tickets re-released by Geelong members who didn't attend the game.

The final attendance for yesterday's game was 25,041. Only the Geelong v Melbourne game (28,007) drew a larger crowd at Geelong this year (North only got 23K). Most of the empty seats belonged to Geelong members who were no shows.

Not a bad turn up considering the how difficult and expensive the Cats make it for oppo supporters to attend.

Hotdog60
19-07-2015, 04:39 PM
Bankers

Dahlhaus- Worked his butt off

Dickson- Play more forward this week and is his best position.

Me- Cracked 2500 posts :)

Anchors

Forwards - Had enough entries and didn't make the most of it.

AFL - If we didn't have 10 million rule changes a year nobody would get confused.

Marking - Ditto on this one.

Remi Moses
19-07-2015, 07:02 PM
Yes the AfL have decided that 30 metres is the new 10 ...
Kicks going 20 metres deemed less than 15

Ozza
20-07-2015, 10:51 AM
Bankers:

Dicko - thank god for him. The only time my blood pressure went down was when he had the footy in hand.
Wallis - attitude is just about everything when going for a contested loose ball...he does everything he can to win those, and we need others to follow his lead in terms of ruthless competitiveness.
Dahlhaus - I was only watching on tv, but from that observation, he seemed to be on screen a hell of a lot! So he appeared to just tirelessly work up and back down the long ground all day.

Anchors:

Tom Boyd - doesn't do enough. Doesn't compete hard enough. Was better when playing in the ruck as it got him into the game.
Jarrad Grant - on a day when it was hard to score, barring one good moment, he really buggered up some good pieces of play that we put together.
Jake Stringer - I like that he has been staying in the game and getting to more contests - but missing two simple chances was so costly and really deflates the group. Needs to do the easy things better....if he could do the simple things like Dicko does, he'd be a superstar.

Mantis
20-07-2015, 10:58 AM
Bankers:

Dicko - thank god for him. The only time my blood pressure went down was when he had the footy in hand.
Wallis - attitude is just about everything when going for a contested loose ball...he does everything he can to win those, and we need others to follow his lead in terms of ruthless competitiveness.
Dahlhaus - I was only watching on tv, but from that observation, he seemed to be on screen a hell of a lot! So he appeared to just tirelessly work up and back down the long ground all day.

Anchors:

Tom Boyd - doesn't do enough. Doesn't compete hard enough. Was better when playing in the ruck as it got him into the game.
Jarrad Grant - on a day when it was hard to score, barring one good moment, he really buggered up some good pieces of play that we put together.
Jake Stringer - I like that he has been staying in the game and getting to more contests - but missing two simple chances was so costly and really deflates the group. Needs to do the easy things better....if he could do the simple things like Dicko does, he'd be a superstar.

Good points Ozza.

On Grant he was extremely disappointing in the first half, and whilst not being a lone wolf there he needs to have more impact against the better teams.. Big 6-8 weeks for him coming up.

Agree with Stringer, just so damn frustrating, I think it's come to the point that if he has a set shot from inside 30m that he kicks it over his head as he is no chance of kicking it the traditional way.

Ozza
20-07-2015, 11:22 AM
Good points Ozza.

On Grant he was extremely disappointing in the first half, and whilst not being a lone wolf there he needs to have more impact against the better teams.. Big 6-8 weeks for him coming up.

Agree with Stringer, just so damn frustrating, I think it's come to the point that if he has a set shot from inside 30m that he kicks it over his head as he is no chance of kicking it the traditional way.

The coaches need to seriously look at Jake's technique. Gia was a brilliant set shot, maybe he is the man. Because out of the draft camp, if I recall correctly, Jake had tremendous set shot kicking results. And then in his early AFL games, he was very solid. So he needs to be fixed up. Right now, it is hurting the side, and longer term it will limit his ability to reach the heights of what we can all see he should.

Cyberdoggie
20-07-2015, 01:41 PM
The coaches need to seriously look at Jake's technique. Gia was a brilliant set shot, maybe he is the man. Because out of the draft camp, if I recall correctly, Jake had tremendous set shot kicking results. And then in his early AFL games, he was very solid. So he needs to be fixed up. Right now, it is hurting the side, and longer term it will limit his ability to reach the heights of what we can all see he should.

Nothing wrong with his technique, it's mental.
From memory he tested with an almost perfect score in the kicking test at draft camp. Stringers issues are upstairs, too much going on in his head during set shots so it all fall apart.

Mantis
20-07-2015, 01:52 PM
From memory he tested with an almost perfect score in the kicking test at draft camp. Stringers issues are upstairs, too much going on in his head during set shots so it all fall apart.

His technique at the minute is dreadful.. No power through the ball, his run-up is terrible, just kicking and hoping.

Whilst he is clearly struggling mentally a solid technique which can be relied upon under pressure is the key.. and he doesn't have that.

Greystache
20-07-2015, 02:33 PM

His technique is terrible, he drops the ball on a 45 degree angle, and is lucky when he actually makes decent contact. Even in the under 18's he regularly kicked bags of points to go with his goals. It's why he plays on from a mark so often and tries to run right to the goal line to kick it.

F'scary
20-07-2015, 08:04 PM
Stringer has developed a really chest on set shot style which tends to fade to the right (his right). He has been trying to counter this but with awful results like the hook to the left on Saturday. I think he needs to work on a shorter, measured run-up, leaning forward and being more side on (left shoulder in front) when he drops the ball to boot. But it is all easy from the arm-chair.

LostDoggy
20-07-2015, 09:30 PM
Someone earlier mentioned Bailey Dale doing nothing, I beg to differ. I was there by the way. He did one of the best passes to a forward we had all day. Not a high kick but a low one straight and fast to the leading forward.

Mantis
21-07-2015, 09:34 AM
Someone earlier mentioned Bailey Dale doing nothing, I beg to differ. I was there by the way. He did one of the best passes to a forward we had all day. Not a high kick but a low one straight and fast to the leading forward.

What Bailey does is very good, the kick you mentioned and his pass to Redpath late reeked of class, however he is just not getting enough of it to warrant a spot at present... but his time will come.

Happy Days
21-07-2015, 11:50 AM
What Bailey does is very good, the kick you mentioned and his pass to Redpath late reeked of class, however he is just not getting enough of it to warrant a spot at present... but his time will come.

Agreed. He's almost like the forward half version of Easton Wood from 3-4 years ago; impressive with the ball and leaves you thinking he's done a lot more, until you realise he's only had 5 touches.