PDA

View Full Version : Wayne Carey impressed by 'competitive' Tom Boyd

bornadog
23-07-2015, 06:09 PM
Link

http://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/Media/Images/373792-tlsnewsportrait.jpg

AFL GREAT Wayne Carey has defended Western Bulldogs youngster Tom Boyd amid criticism the key forward's debut season at Whitten Oval has been underwhelming.

Boyd, who landed at the Dogs from GWS on a multi-million dollar contract during last year's trade period, has come under scrutiny from Essendon champion Matthew Lloyd for his output so far in 2015.

Lloyd told Channel Nine the 2013 No.1 pick "gets knocked off the ball" and doesn't have enough "mobility and agility" compared to the premier key forwards of the competition.

Carey on the other hand, has liked what he's seen of the 201cm Eastern Ranges' product who turns 20 in August.

"In the games I have seen him play, I've been impressed with Tom because of his competitiveness," Carey told AFL.com.au

"He very rarely gets out-marked and that side of his game has been quite good.

"So I wouldn't be too critical of him in his first full season because he was always going to take time."

Brought to the Bulldogs to kick goals, Boyd has kicked 16 from 14 appearances in 2015 while his 18 contested marks ranks him equal 19th in the League.

But Carey, arguably the best key forward the game has seen, says the round 12 NAB AFL Rising Star nominee's season shouldn't be judged on stats or his massive contract.

"I don't look at how many goals he's kicked, I don't look at how many marks he's taken, what I look at is how he competes and from that side of things I think he's been good value for the Doggies," said Carey.

"They know they've got a target who at the very least is going to bring the ball to ground and I think that's where he's been very good."

And Bulldogs forward Tory Dickson agrees with Carey's assessment, believing Boyd's presence in attack has helped the Dogs' small forwards immeasurably.

"He's a young man that's learning the ropes in his second year and I think people treat him a bit too harshly," said Dickson.

"We just expect a contest and with Tom crashing the packs and bringing the ball to ground it brings guys like Luke Dahlhaus and myself into the game.

"But if you're having a quiet day like every forward does, it's good to get around the ball (the ruck) and he did have impact in the second half against Geelong on the weekend."

GVGjr
23-07-2015, 06:30 PM
Carey's opinion doesn't mean much to me. Boyd needs another season with us before we can work out what his strengths and weaknesses are likely to be. To me he needs to lead more but I think he has long and productive career ahead of him and I think most of us are looking towards him becoming one of the top players in the competition. We just need to be patient.

jazzadogs
23-07-2015, 06:47 PM
Carey's opinion doesn't mean much to me. Boyd needs another season with us before we can work out what his strengths and weaknesses are likely to be. To me he needs to lead more but I think he has long and productive career ahead of him and I think most of us are looking towards him becoming one of the top players in the competition. We just need to be patient.

His opinion doesn't mean much to me either, but we want people to be standing up for Toyd in the media over the next few years while he develops. There will be plenty, like Lloyd, who take the opportunity to criticise but not many who will praise him.

Twodogs
23-07-2015, 06:55 PM
His opinion doesn't mean much to me either, but we want people to be standing up for Toyd in the media over the next few years while he develops. There will be plenty, like Lloyd, who take the opportunity to criticise but not many who will praise him.

Yep. Tom needs a champion while he develops.

Ozza
23-07-2015, 07:08 PM
Good on Duck for getting behind Tom. Its far easier to look at stats and his contract and make a judgement. It is also preferred by most ex-players trying to become media stars, to be critical and grab an easy headline.

Tom has got a stack of work to do on his mobility and his hands to become a good player - but I'm glad Duck has recognised that we are getting some value, structurally, out of the kid right now.

Go_Dogs
23-07-2015, 07:29 PM
I actually don't mind some of Carey's observations, and was pleased to see this article this morning. It's a reasonable assessment of what Boyd has offered us this year and notes he still has a long way to go as a developing forward.

I was being facetious but I sent the article to a mate this morning and said 'the King has spoken'.

boydogs
23-07-2015, 07:50 PM
I agree for the most part but he has had a few quiet weeks. Still on target at this stage IMO

Remi Moses
23-07-2015, 08:22 PM
Gee a 19 year old gets pushed off the ball ?
Lloyd's incisive .
Tom Boyd will be fine, and yes he needs to improve aspects of his game

GVGjr
23-07-2015, 08:30 PM
Gee a 19 year old gets pushed off the ball ?
Lloyd's incisive .
Tom Boyd will be fine, and yes he needs to improve aspects of his game

Hogan doesn't get pushed off the ball though.

I don't mind Lloyd, I think he is wrong with his assessment of Boyd but I wouldn't mind him working with a few of our boys.

Remi Moses
23-07-2015, 08:56 PM

I don't mind Lloyd, I think he is wrong with his assessment of Boyd but I wouldn't mind him working with a few of our boys.

Boyd plays like he's 19 and Hogan plays like he's 25.
I don't mind the comments on exposed form, but there's no perspective shown from some.

Greystache
23-07-2015, 09:35 PM

How does Boyd compare to McCartin for being pushed off the ball?

Boyd is 8 months older and has 1 more year in the AFL system than McCartin. Hogan is 8 months older and has 1 more year in the system than Boyd.

bulldogtragic
23-07-2015, 09:39 PM

Boyd is 8 months older and has 1 more year in the AFL system than McCartin. Hogan is 8 months older and has 1 more year in the system than Boyd.

Beat me to it. That's the comparison of a fairer nature. Except with last year that the Geelong Falcons are a professional footy club focused on and with a positive record in player development.

Happy Days
23-07-2015, 11:25 PM
Lloyd hates literally everything and Carey is human garbage. We all know the time to judge Boyd's success is not even close.

GVGjr
23-07-2015, 11:31 PM

It's not my observation but I'd imagine in 12 months time (and much like Hogan now) they won't be doing that too him. I haven't seen enough of McCartin yet but I think he will be a bull.

I think Boyd will often be compared to Hogan and it's great for clubs like Melbourne and us to have quality key forwards.

Greystache
23-07-2015, 11:34 PM
McCartin is going to be a star. He was the difference between Footscray and whover St. Kildas alignment team is earlier in the year.

12 goals in 7 VFL games and 1 goal in 3 AFL games. He's coming from a fair way back, especially for a fairly small key forward who's mobility is supposed to be his strong point.

wimberga
24-07-2015, 01:54 AM
Just one interesting thing to note with these 'expert opinions'.

I know for a fact that media networks and program directors have a lot of influence on the opinions that are pushed out by commentators. I won't name names but there are certainly a number of fox shows where the panelists show up and are told 'we want you to talk about this this and this tonight.X is going to be arguing Y so if you could think of some points to counter/support that would be great'.

So I dislike Lloyds opinion on boys and like Careys, but don't take either seriously.

Axe Man
24-07-2015, 01:55 PM
Just one interesting thing to note with these 'expert opinions'.

I know for a fact that media networks and program directors have a lot of influence on the opinions that are pushed out by commentators. I won't name names but there are certainly a number of fox shows where the panelists show up and are told 'we want you to talk about this this and this tonight.X is going to be arguing Y so if you could think of some points to counter/support that would be great'.

So I dislike Lloyds opinion on boys and like Careys, but don't take either seriously.

That certainly makes sense. It seems like on Footy Classified for example that most of the time they are just arguing for argument's sake.

westdog54
24-07-2015, 02:14 PM
That certainly makes sense. It seems like on Footy Classified for example that most of the time they are just arguing for argument's sake.

Hutchy in particular is like a dog with a bone when he argues with Lloyd.

GVGjr
25-07-2015, 01:26 PM
Does Wayne Carey's opinions matter given his headline grabbing comments about Sam Mitchell?

G-Mo77
25-07-2015, 01:29 PM
Does Wayne Carey's opinions matter given his headline grabbing comments about Sam Mitchell?

I can understand what he was trying to say last night about Mitchell, he was pretty much spot on there. Wouldn't get a game at other clubs though was just a tad over the top.

Rocco Jones
25-07-2015, 01:38 PM
I can understand what he was trying to say last night about Mitchell, he was pretty much spot on there. Wouldn't get a game at other clubs though was just a tad over the top.

Carey's were a great example of great base point/terrible delivery.

I really cringe when 'experts' talk about how hardly anyone from the bottom side would make the 22 for top side etc. Sam Mitchell would definitely be less of a player at a struggling club. But that's the same with a lot of players. Hawthorn's collective brilliance makes it easier for everyone. Less tags, greater freedom to play to strengths, backline being less exposed, the forward line getting more of it with great delivery etc. Bruest and Gunston are very good players don't get me wrong, but imagine them at Carlton. I would still consider them good but a lot of fans would highlight them as being overly 1D.

Imagine Bonts in that side. A lot of people have talked about this year being a slight dip. He is 19 and gets a lot of attention due to our depleted engine room. Imagine him with the freedom the Hawks offer. Imagine Bobby playing a free role off their HB line, wow. Imagine Stringer with all those chances, that delivery. He'd be able to do his limited running thing and still kick regular bags.

boydogs
25-07-2015, 08:32 PM

Nothing wrong with judging something on its merits and ignoring the author

Happy Days
26-07-2015, 11:42 AM

If anything more; I've been saying he's a two-bit thug hack hiding in plain sight for years. There's at least 8, maybe 10 better than him at Hawthorn.

GVGjr
26-07-2015, 12:55 PM
If anything more; I've been saying he's a two-bit thug hack hiding in plain sight for years. There's at least 8, maybe 10 better than him at Hawthorn.

He said Mitchell would struggle to get a game in the other 17 sides which is in no way accurate. I tend to think his opinions are on occasions said to grab a head line.

Mantis
26-07-2015, 12:59 PM
He said Mitchell would struggle to get a game in the other 17 sides which is in no way accurate. I tend to think his opinions are on occasions said to grab a head line.

He based his opinion on Mitchell's lack of defensive output.. Which was on the ball.

GVGjr
26-07-2015, 01:04 PM
He based his opinion on Mitchell's lack of defensive output.. Which was on the ball.
Observation was ok, his comment that he would struggle at all the other clubs is questionable.

Mantis
26-07-2015, 01:23 PM
Observation was ok, his comment that he would struggle at all the other clubs is questionable.

If he was playing with us through the B-Mac years he would've cooped a flogging on here... As good as he is he plays on his terms ( much like Higgins & Cooney).

GVGjr
26-07-2015, 01:27 PM
If he was playing with us through the B-Mac years he would've cooped a flogging on here... As good as he is he plays on his terms ( much like Higgins & Cooney).
For years M.Boyd played without the same defensive ethic so I believe its more about what thd coach accepts than just being about the players efforts.
Most good ball players can adjust if they have to.

jazzadogs
27-07-2015, 07:09 PM
From what I'm hearing about Tom's game for Footscray on the weekend, I won't be surprised if he gets another few weeks down there to develop his ruck game before coming back into the side in a role with much more even time in ruck and at FF. I don't think he will be rushed back in (plus I think Jack is enjoying being the tall target), but I'm also getting the feeling that Bevo's plan for his season has changed since that competitive second half against the Cats.

Bulldog Joe
27-07-2015, 07:34 PM
I am seeing Boyd being the guy who will actually carry our ruck and be a star at it.

Jack Redpath is showing the right signs as the leading power forward. When/If Jack reaches the point that he feels he really belongs he will nail those goals from anywhere inside 50.

Rocco Jones
27-07-2015, 07:36 PM
From what I'm hearing about Tom's game for Footscray on the weekend, I won't be surprised if he gets another few weeks down there to develop his ruck game before coming back into the side in a role with much more even time in ruck and at FF. I don't think he will be rushed back in (plus I think Jack is enjoying being the tall target), but I'm also getting the feeling that Bevo's plan for his season has changed since that competitive second half against the Cats.

Yep, I think we are going to see the ruck being a bigger part of Tom's game, at least in the short term until he can really give us value as a power forward line.

I actually would like to see how Tom Boyd and Roughy would go sharing the ruck duties. It gives us the flexibility to play an extra tall back or forward. If one is struggling, we need another tall down back, the forward line is too small/tall, we get an injury to a key forward/defender, the opposition gets an injury etc, really can come in useful.

Bulldog4life
29-07-2015, 07:33 PM
I am seeing Boyd being the guy who will actually carry our ruck and be a star at it.

Jack Redpath is showing the right signs as the leading power forward. When/If Jack reaches the point that he feels he really belongs he will nail those goals from anywhere inside 50.

Not out of the question I have been impressed with his rucking this year