PDA

View Full Version : Bankers and Anchors - Round 17

Eastdog
25-07-2015, 06:37 PM
This is the round 17 edition of the Weekly Bankers and Anchors Thread. Once the game against Collingwood is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys that you we banked on to do the right thing during the game
The Anchors = 3 guys that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

GVGjr
26-07-2015, 03:14 PM
Bump.

bulldogtragic
26-07-2015, 04:49 PM
B:

Winning pretty
Hunter & Biggs
Crameri looked like his old self at times

A:

Talia giving away a stupid free and then giving a 50. Just so stupid.
Grant as a sub. His intensity was great in the last, hope he starts next week.
Not killing them on the scoreboard in the third. We need to cash in when we have momentum.

ReLoad
26-07-2015, 05:08 PM
Bankers.
Hunter; best game by a mile, although in saying that nobody from Collingwood went anywhere near him.
Wallis; he is the New Sam Mitchell.
Dickson; master of opportunities.
(Many apologies to Crameri who played very well too)

Anchors.
Talia. What were you thinking? I mean we're you thing? Can you think? Crikey!
Kicking for goal. Redpath, Stringer etc honestly we could have buried them.
Umps. This whole round was abysmal umpiring, the Redpath in the back free was a disgrace.

Go_Dogs
26-07-2015, 05:42 PM
B:
Hunter - best game for the club. Hopefully he can now add consistency to his AFL game.
Biggs - great move bringing him in, freed up Murph and he played well.
Coaching - Murph, Stringer etc off the back end of the square was highlighted on TV. Not sure how it looked at the ground, but really helped us with our clearances and run from behind. Given our key outs thought it was a master stroke.

A:
Kicking for goal - costly, particularly given the clean I50's we generated today.
Umpiring - some bemusing decisions both ways, thankfully they didn't influence the result too much.

azabob
26-07-2015, 06:00 PM
Bankers:

Tom Campbell - Thought he stood up and got stronger as the game went on
Lachie Hunter - Great game by him, probably his best game in his short career.
Dale Morris - Really stood up today, thwarted a lot of Collingwood attacks and helped out his teammates constantly.

Anchors:

Michael Talia - Silly free kicks, 50m penalties, panic kicks.
Jack Redpath - He is still a 50/50 selection proportion each week. Simply if he kicks 3 goals one, rather than 1 goal two, he is an automatic selection.
Easton Wood - Seemed to be on another planet today. A few simple errors that cost us big time.

soupman
26-07-2015, 06:38 PM
Bankers

Hunter: Made many (including myself) look silly for saying if he wants to leave we shouldn't fight to hard to keep him. Was very impressive.
Bontempelli: A gun. He is just such a clean and composed player.
Morris. Took the Easton Wood role of "mark everything that comes you way".

Anchors

That brawl in the cheer squad at the end.
That in the back free to Redpath was one of the worst decisions of all time. Absymal.
Easton Wood was poor, although he does have a couple of credits in the bank.

always right
26-07-2015, 06:50 PM
B
The coach. Had them on the back foot from the start by pushing Murphy forward. Had Buckley reacting all game.
Dale Morris. Turned back the clock and was huge in the first half in particular.
Everyone will nominate Hunter...justifiably. I'm going to nominate Crameri who played his best game of the year. His strength was telling.

A great team effort so not a lot to criticise but I'll nominate Campbell's marking which was just poor. He was a strong presence in the ruck however.
Talia had a mixed game undoing some really good work with some telling errors.

Eastdog
26-07-2015, 08:22 PM
Bankers:

Murph - still ever important

Hunter - very good game

Crameri - good game and took some great marks in the forward line

Special mentions: Daniel - he may be the shortest player in the afl but he looks to be a good players for the future.

Also thought Redpath was ok today

Anchors:

Woods dropped marks

Our ball use and decision making at times had me scratching my head

G-Mo77
26-07-2015, 08:36 PM
Jack Redpath - He is still a 50/50 selection proportion each week. Simply if he kicks 3 goals one, rather than 1 goal two, he is an automatic selection.

He's so close. Clunk a few more and even just kick one more straighter we'd be praising him.

Bankers:

VFL regulars made solid contributions today. Hunter, Biggs were huge!
Morris was just as solid as a rock.
JJ's run and delivery was terrific.

Anchors
Umps. My throat hurts because of you mongrels.
Goal kicking. Couple of posters but we still have to convert them.

RoZDog
26-07-2015, 10:29 PM
Bankers
1. Hunter backs himself to hit targets, it worked for him today. Was influential all game.
2. Wally was Huge, getsreally as the game wears on and his forward play has taken him to another level
3. JJ's run from the back half and disposal was brilliant.
Crammers 1st half was brilliant.

Anchors
1. Tackling!!!! Missed tackles in the back half. Boyd was like a witches hat at times.
2. Played a little too short today, really stifled Wood's game.

Smads57
26-07-2015, 10:42 PM
Bankers
Murph for his run and carry - loosened up our attack (nice to get a score over 100)
Wally for his centre clearance work
Hunts - finally played smart football not smart arse footy

Anchors
Talia for some undisciplined acts (otherwise he wasn't too bad as a lone tall down back all day)
Someone has mentioned missed tackles already - frustrating to watch from the stands
Etihad Stadium Level 3 being reserved seating only on most of the outer wing

merantau
26-07-2015, 10:49 PM
Bankers
1 Forward 50 pressure
2 Running in numbers off half back
3 Bontempelli did a lot of heavy work.
4 Crameri was really strong up forward
5 Our ball use going inside 50 was the best it's been for some time.
Anchors
1. Dahlhaus's kick to Stringer cost us a goal
2. We missed 6 set shots
3, Poor umpiring, especially in first half.
4. Michael Talia giving away 50 m.

boydogs
26-07-2015, 11:05 PM
VFL regulars made solid contributions today. Hunter, Biggs were huge!

I think it helps that we have our own VFL side so we can get them playing how we want them to in the VFL then just bring them in to do the same thing. Biggs was interviewed after the game and said Bevo told him just to do what he does in the VFL

SonofScray
26-07-2015, 11:10 PM
Bankers:
Crameri - strong outing, a return to form with a little bit of extra bulking work in his game.
Hunter - B O G
Bonti - best game in months.

Anchors:
team tackling, still missing too many.
marking on the wing, struggled again to at least halve the safe ball wide and long.
umpiring - just atrocious across the board in this game and this round.

Ozza
26-07-2015, 11:15 PM
Bankers
Bonti - best game in months.

Better than when he dismantled the Suns two weeks ago!?!

bornadog
26-07-2015, 11:17 PM
Played a little too short today, really stifled Wood's game.

Exactly what I thought would happen with a tall down in the backline.

ratsmac
26-07-2015, 11:22 PM
Bankers

1. Winning a very important game in the context of our season, and in great style against the pies too. It was an 8 point game for us.
2. Bevo and Co - mixing it up. Murphy forward, Stringer back. Keeping faith in certain players when their form probably didn't warrant another game.
3. Tom Campbell rucking the majority of the game solo. Yeah he wasn't perfect but never stopped trying.

ANCHORS

1. Talia - probably his worst game I can remember. I really want him to succeed but today's effort put a dent in his chances 9
2. Umpires - there were some real puzzling frees paid and not paid.
3. Not icing the game in the 3rd and early in the 4th. Too many easy goals missed.

SonofScray
26-07-2015, 11:29 PM
Better than when he dismantled the Suns two weeks ago!?!

Yeah, I thought so. Solid across 4 quarters and did some real physical work inside to bring others into the game. His disposal was exceptional at times.

bornadog
26-07-2015, 11:37 PM
Bankers

1. Daniel's goal
2. Crameri's goal at 3/4 time
3. Dickson's accuracy

Anchors

1. Dahlhaus passing the ball when he was 40 metres out in front
2. Idiots fighting - no doubt Collingwood supporters being sore losers.
3. Wood's handball's at times was shocking

Eastdog
27-07-2015, 12:12 AM
How did woofers rate Picken's game?

ratsmac
27-07-2015, 01:32 AM

Excellent! Led the way on how to attack the footy. A lot of his work can go unheralded so it's a good question to bring up. He would have to be right up there in our best and fairest this year which is a real credit to himself and Luke Beveridge.

jazzadogs
27-07-2015, 05:02 AM
Excellent! Led the way on how to attack the footy. A lot of his work can go unheralded so it's a good question to bring up. He would have to be right up there in our best and fairest this year which is a real credit to himself and Luke Beveridge.

He won't make the team because it will just be Pendlebury and co as per usual, but he is putting up AA numbers and deserves to be in the squad imo.

always right
27-07-2015, 08:47 AM

Another ripper game but his kicking was strangely off yesterday. Missed a wide open Dickson in the second quarter and kicked poorly for goal on two occasions.

always right
27-07-2015, 08:48 AM
Exactly what I thought would happen with a tall down in the backline.

How would you have structured up?

bornadog
27-07-2015, 09:19 AM
How would you have structured up?

With Roughead out we had no choice.

Mantis
27-07-2015, 09:24 AM
With Roughead out we had no choice.

And Roberts. And Hamling.

The cupboard was bare!

Happy Days
27-07-2015, 03:36 PM
Bankers

Hunter for his best game ever. His decision making is even markedly improved from 2 weeks ago (!), which is making me think all of this exists in a vacuum and he's still a great prospect.

Caleb Daniel's exquisite pick up and goal. Actually just all of the boys hands at ground level - Stringer with a one hander in traffic (before the ridiculous HTB free), Campbell with a great pickup off a shocking kick under immense pressure at CHB, etc. It's like they've been locked in a room and forced to watch Jarrad Grant highlights.

Dale Morris - with no one worth paying any attention to, showed he can intercept just as well as anyone else. Didn't (should've) know he had it in him.

Anchors

The events of the entire game being cast aside by the media to celebrate a player kicking 2 from the back of the goal square in compiling the "Majak Daw" bag.

Talia for playing the role of Lukas Markovic in the above.

Dahlhaus' new found refusal to kick.

Mofra
27-07-2015, 03:49 PM
Bankers:
1. Biggs showing why the Swans wanted to keep him
2. Bonti's inside work is excellent, he's certainly not all flash
3. Caleb Daniel will make it. Just has amazing balance

Anchors:
1. Injury gods - Talia as lone tall is not the way we can afford to play
2. Dahl passing to String in the F50
3. We struggle to really put teams away. Our inaccuracy in front of goal will hurt us in coming years if we don't sort it out ASAP

Greystache
27-07-2015, 05:30 PM
Bankers

Wallis- Lifted in the last quarter like you want a future leader to do. His goal and back to back centre clearances were a highlight.

Hunter- Best and most rounded game of his career

Bonti- Some fantastic work in close. He's putting together some really good games late in the season.

Anchors

Talia- Looked well out of his depth and the 50m penalty late was the icing on a very dark day.

Stringer- He would be close to the worst set shot in the competition. I mark a behind down on the scoresheet and start looking at our defensive set ups as soon as he's lining up.

One speed tempo- We often took the run and gun too far at times and needed to slow down and assess options at several points but didn't.

Happy Days
27-07-2015, 05:38 PM
One speed tempo- We often took the run and gun too far at times and needed to slow down and assess options at several points but didn't.

This is interesting. Our immediacy in wanting to play on cost us several goals but probably got us several as well. Do you think we would have been as effective in moving the ball forward if we calmed ourselves down?

Greystache
27-07-2015, 05:44 PM
This is interesting. Our immediacy in wanting to play on cost us several goals but probably got us several as well. Do you think we would have been as effective in moving the ball forward if we calmed ourselves down?

It's more about playing in patches. When we're on a run and have control go hell for leather, but when they've kicked a couple in a row we needed to hold up and break the momentum but we didn't. The last thing we want when they've kicked two in a row is a bad turnover that leaves the defence exposed because we tried to do too much.

jazzadogs
27-07-2015, 05:49 PM
Crameri and Campbell are both prone to 'hot' handballs, where they perform the instinctive give as usually instructed but without actually analysing the situation.

Campbell in particular did it multiple times last week and this, where he would handball to try to keep the game moving but put too much heat on the ball and make it difficult for his teammates to run onto it and maintain their speed.

Remi Moses
27-07-2015, 08:06 PM
Bankers - Hunter ( best game of his career, and hopefully the tough love has worked)
Biggs ( thought his ball use was better than I thought )
Crameri( had a disappointing season, but thought he was pivotal early)
Big tick for the group surviving Collingwoods surge
Anchors - should have won more comfortably
Talia's errors were really costly

comrade
27-07-2015, 08:33 PM
3. Caleb Daniel will make it. Just has amazing balance

I don't disagree but I thought he had a dirty day to be honest.

So light he can't make most tackles stick and gets pushed off with ease. He was a little less clean also, with his pick up and goal obviously the big highlight of his game.

I think he's a good un but I have him in line for a spell in the 2s.

SonofScray
27-07-2015, 11:27 PM
I don't disagree but I thought he had a dirty day to be honest.

So light he can't make most tackles stick and gets pushed off with ease. He was a little less clean also, with his pick up and goal obviously the big highlight of his game.

I think he's a good un but I have him in line for a spell in the 2s.

His first handful of touches were turn overs from memory. Certainly didn't start well. Popped up with some much better work as the day wore on.

Mantis
28-07-2015, 05:55 AM
His first handful of touches were turn overs from memory. Certainly didn't start well. Popped up with some much better work as the day wore on.

It was no doubt the quickest game that Caleb has played in and you could see him struggle as he either fumbled or was rushed when around the ball. No doubt he will be better for that game, but when you rely on clean hands and efficient disposal as your only weapons you need to make every moment count.

As comrade mentioned has lack of body strength hurts his ability to make his tackles stick.

AndrewP6
28-07-2015, 01:43 PM
I thought Daniel had a good impact. Yes, he needs to build strength to make tackles stick, yes he needs to get cleaner possessions, but he had a willingness to attack the ball, he took the game on. He is only 19.

merantau
28-07-2015, 02:07 PM
Agree with posters above re Caleb Daniel's tackling. He uses the ball well by hand and foot and is always a chance at the foot of the pack when close to goals. Tony Liberatore turned himself into a tackling machine. Can Caleb do the same? He has time on his side.

Ghost Dog
31-07-2015, 05:45 PM
Nice, clever grubber kick to Stringer. Great footy brain, but opponents run right through him.

F'scary
31-07-2015, 08:20 PM
Nice, clever grubber kick to Stringer. Great footy brain, but opponents run right through him.

But he is very good at closing down space on the opposition ball carrier.

and I also thought his grubber kick (which led to a goal) was very, very clever.