PDA

View Full Version : If the sub is abolished..

The Bulldogs Bite
26-07-2015, 12:09 AM
.. Will we see a return of the two ruck combo?

Given it seems a certainty that as of next year the sub will be removed and thus reverting back to four on the bench, how do we think it'll impact the game? Will sides still decide to opt for more run and put more emphasis on the second ruck/forward? Will it change nothing, or will it bring back the ability to play two predominate rucks?

How do we think it'll effect us?

GVGjr
26-07-2015, 09:14 AM
Good question, I'm not sure it will mean clubs will go with the two ruckman option though unless they are versatile.

I get why the AFL started the sub option because it meant that clubs that suffered an early injury weren't at a huge disadvantage. If the AFL bring down the interchange numbers a bit further and eliminate the sub then it probably still limits teams having two genuine ruckman. Clubs will need players that can stay on the ground more and from that end the players we drafted last year all had excellent beep test results and this probably puts us in a good place.

Hotdog60
26-07-2015, 09:27 AM
If there was a reserve completion and it was the curtain raiser to the main game we could go back to either a two or three interchange bench and have two or three emergencies that played in the reserves. So these players don't miss out on a game of football and in case of an injury in the main game these emergencies can be brought in. It means that they already have played but so that might have it's own problems but it covers the injury issue.
It might be a case to manage the emergency in the last quarter before the main game.

Rocco Jones
26-07-2015, 12:06 PM
No. I think sides will try to get even more run. I think nothing will take us back to the days of two players who are both suited to being 1st rucks being in the side unless a side is limited in options.

Most 1st rucks can play about 80% TOG in the ruck. That means the other ruck plays less than a quarter in their suited position.

Twodogs
26-07-2015, 07:34 PM
If there was a reserve completion and it was the curtain raiser to the main game we could go back to either a two or three interchange bench and have two or three emergencies that played in the reserves. So these players don't miss out on a game of football and in case of an injury in the main game these emergencies can be brought in. It means that they already have played but so that might have it's own problems but it covers the injury issue.
It might be a case to manage the emergency in the last quarter before the main game.

How will that work with interstate clubs without reserve teams?

Bulldog4life
26-07-2015, 07:49 PM
I think playing for example Campbell Boyd and Redpath in the same side it will make it easier to have 4 on the interchange if you want to give one of those guys a rest at times

Not sure about the two ruckman set up though