PDA

View Full Version : Could Hunter be as good as Dahlhaus?

boydogs
27-07-2015, 10:36 PM
Dahlhaus has had an outstanding year and has been better in the midfield than I ever expected. He does however have limitations, like a lot of rookie picks, being his height and his disposal

Hunter is a few cm taller, and a better ball user. He hasn't shown as much to date but doesn't seem to have the same limits on his ceiling. He has shown immaturity and though in his 3rd season was young when drafted and won't turn 21 until December, so there is reason to think he could still improve

If he could knuckle down like we saw Libba do last year, do you think he could be as good as Dahlhaus?

F'scary
27-07-2015, 11:10 PM
His game against the 'pies was a revelation to me. I didn't think he could accumulate like that at the top level and show so many smarts both with his ball use and his positioning. He had a cocky, determined look on his face all match that said "I am better than the rest, just watch me."

jazzadogs
28-07-2015, 04:02 AM
His game against the 'pies was a revelation to me. I didn't think he could accumulate like that at the top level and show so many smarts both with his ball use and his positioning. He had a cocky, determined look on his face all match that said "I am better than the rest, just watch me."

That last sentence made me think of Stevie J. Maybe Lachie will be our Stevie J?

Mantis
28-07-2015, 05:49 AM
Hunter could be a much better player than Dahlhaus as he is a more naturally gifted player, but Dahl works his absolute butt off every time he steps onto the ground.. Lachie's lack of intensity & work rate has always been the issue, hopefully he turned the corner on Sunday.

Bulldog Joe
28-07-2015, 09:17 AM
If Lachie brings the right level of dedication and effort he could be extremely good. He certainly has the talent.

He does have that look of someone who certainly believes in themself, he just needs to bring the right application.

ReLoad
28-07-2015, 09:25 AM
There is nobody quicker in the AFL at getting either ball onto boot or a handpass away as Dahlhouse, he is super lightning quick at disposal. Hunter isnt close to that, but is a different type of player.

If Hunter can even get to 75% of the intensity of Dahlhouse then his other attributes will hold him in good stead.

whythelongface
28-07-2015, 10:53 AM
One match doesn't maketh a career. However what we saw from Hunter on the weekend was huge. It was out of left field and if he can bring that to the table week in/ week out it will provide us with more attacking options. He looked for the ball and generally his delivery was outstanding.

In another thread someone alluded to the point that Hunter and Grant could well be vying for the same position in the team. A good point - can both be considered in the same team? (excluding the sub). If the sub disappears next season then certainly think that there is a case for both to be selected.

1eyedog
28-07-2015, 11:01 AM
He's a different player. You won't see the inside work of Dahl with Hunter but you'll see better skills.

Will he be as important to our team as Dahl? He has a higher ceiling in my opinion because he can find it and is damaging with it.

Ozza
28-07-2015, 12:29 PM
How good was Hunter's handball to Bonti to kick our second goal of the game.
Wow.

Twodogs
28-07-2015, 01:06 PM
Wow.

Superb. And he had to wait for Bont to get to the right position while listening to other players calling for it too.

Rance Fan
28-07-2015, 01:44 PM
I see Hunter as a Simon Black type player. Hope he can be that good!

LostDoggy
28-07-2015, 01:48 PM
That was a very very good handball and great footy sense ignoring the closer player.

I had big wraps for Hunter when he first started and he had a great game on the weekend. I do wonder where his head is at and have this whole season, he seemed hungry against Collingwood, however, I watched Lauchie sing the song with the rest of the boys, he seemed only half invested in the song but very interested in looking into the camera. I may be reading too much of nothing but by contrast the Bont was passionately singing and excited, staring at his team mates.

As Mantis suggested he is naturally gifted and that is what took my attention in his first few games. Get the sport psych on him.

Go_Dogs
28-07-2015, 01:54 PM
Interesting thread.

I'm a big wrap for Hunter, but I see him having different strengths to Dahlhaus, who is now a good inside ball winner, fierce competitor and very good overhead for his size. Hunter is better suited being an inside receiver and outside player rather than a ball winner and doesn't have the defensive ability that Dahl has.

The role Hunter played on the weekend looks like a good one for him, because he has good vision and when he executes his skills by hand and foot, and plays a team orientated game, he looks great. Will be an interesting one to look back on in a few years time by which stage Hunter has hopefully got to Dahl's level of consistency.

Ghost Dog
28-07-2015, 01:58 PM
Agree - WTLFace
One good game does not maketh a player potentially as good as Lukey D has been for us for a while now.
Just me? or seems to pump up his own tires a bit.

Cyberdoggie
28-07-2015, 02:24 PM
Hunter could be a much better player than Dahlhaus as he is a more naturally gifted player, but Dahl works his absolute butt off every time he steps onto the ground.. Lachie's lack of intensity & work rate has always been the issue, hopefully he turned the corner on Sunday.

That's right and it certainly helped his cause being a more open free flowing game.
Hunter doesn't naturally put his body on the line or dive under a contest so he's going to struggle in the more scrappy games.
He's like a footballing equivalent of a Ferrari, great on the test track but isn't anything special in traffic.

1eyedog
28-07-2015, 04:15 PM
Wow.

Not sure if it was mentioned but his 40 metre snap to Crameri on the run wasn't bad either.

Sedat
28-07-2015, 04:59 PM
That's right and it certainly helped his cause being a more open free flowing game.
Good point. We've been involved in some dirty scraps the last few weeks and Hunter was essentially AWOL in those. Still the signs were very good on Sunday and I hope he can maintain that intensity for the remainder of the season.

jeemak
28-07-2015, 05:03 PM
Good point. We've been involved in some dirty scraps the last few weeks and Hunter was essentially AWOL in those. Still the signs were very good on Sunday and I hope he can maintain that intensity for the remainder of the season.

Didn't he start as sub in his two games since returning to the senior side? Against GCS he was pretty ordinary, especially with his first few touches, though against the Cats I thought he showed intent in his 30 minutes of football (in which he secured ten disposals and a couple of tackles).

Twodogs
28-07-2015, 05:07 PM
Hunter doesn't naturally put his body on the line or dive under a contest so he's going to struggle in the more scrappy games.
He's like a footballing equivalent of a Ferrari, great on the test track but isn't anything special in traffic.

If he played well on Sunday does that that then mean he is going to be a good footballer for us when we are consistently playing better football? I'm a couple of years when we have attached the tailfins to the vehicle players like Lachie may be the cherry on top.

Greystache
28-07-2015, 05:11 PM
Didn't he start as sub in his two games since returning to the senior side? Against GCS he was pretty ordinary, especially with his first few touches, though against the Cats I thought he showed intent in his 30 minutes of football (in which he secured ten disposals and a couple of tackles).

Yep. The Geelong game was an ugly scrap (pretty much the way Geelong play to try to stay in games) and his quarter after coming on as a sub was his best of the season to that point. He played like a millionaire against GC and was thoroughly ineffective. Perhaps the coach pointed out to him in the review that he may have champagne tastes but he only has beer money.

jeemak
28-07-2015, 05:39 PM
Yep. The Geelong game was an ugly scrap (pretty much the way Geelong play to try to stay in games) and his quarter after coming on as a sub was his best of the season to that point. He played like a millionaire against GC and was thoroughly ineffective. Perhaps the coach pointed out to him in the review that he may have champagne tastes but he only has beer money.

Such was his insipid contribution with his first few touches in the GCS game I found myself referring to him as a dickhead twice in the game day thread. I don't like using that sort of language for our players and I'm not proud of it at all, though I was thoroughly staggered that he would receive a chance and apply himself the way he did at the start of that game.

comrade
28-07-2015, 08:54 PM
Wow.

It was awesome.

As was his lace out laser pass to Stringer.

Has all the skills, crossing everything that he's now had a breakthrough and will go on to fulfil his potential.

If he does, another piece of the puzzle, the skilful outside role, has been uncovered.

Webby
28-07-2015, 09:52 PM
Much like the Dogs' 2015 season, I didn't see this coming!

I've seen a lot of Hunter over the past couple of years. Particularly at Footscray. He seemed a cut above VFL level (although gaffe-prone), yet unable to make the step up. He just seemed a poor decision maker and also an in-betweener. He flew for too many marks, didn't seem poised & disciplined enough for defence, didn't seem polished enough for the forward line, nor big enough for midfield.

All that said, the kid did back himself. He had a go. Wing looks his spot. He looked classy with an ability to find targets. I also think that his handball tally on Sunday might've eclipsed his dad's career total!

Greystache
28-07-2015, 09:59 PM
All that said, the kid did back himself. He had a go. Wing looks his spot. He looked classy with an ability to find targets. I also think that his handball tally on Sunday might've eclipsed his dad's career total!

Haha, his Dad certainly played in an era when a back pocket handballing was cause for demotion. Hell even a short kick would get you benched. There wasn't a lot of strategy back in the day, even as recent as 25 years ago!

The bulldog tragician
28-07-2015, 10:22 PM
I really noticed how long his handpasses were. They were attacking offensive weapons which broke up the play, very creatively used.

I think it can be hard for small forwards to show what they're made of and maybe desperation to prove himself has made Lachie inclined to go for showy options. I'm thinking too of how tough it is for guys like Hrovat and Honeychurch who've been attacking ball winners as juniors and in AFL now have to be defensively minded forwards. Lachie certainly relished the chance to 'see-ball-get-ball' and be involved all game. He should have the skills to be a better player than Dahl, but as we all know, talent is only a part of the equation. He's very young though. I sure hope he makes it.

whythelongface
28-07-2015, 10:23 PM
Does Hunter possess speed off the mark? Not something that I have been able to notice on the box.

azabob
29-07-2015, 08:09 AM
Does Hunter possess speed off the mark? Not something that I have been able to notice on the box.

I think he does. Not sure he uses it at the moment to its full potential.

lemmon
29-07-2015, 08:54 AM
I really noticed how long his handpasses were. They were attacking offensive weapons which broke up the play, very creatively used.

I think it can be hard for small forwards to show what they're made of and maybe desperation to prove himself has made Lachie inclined to go for showy options. I'm thinking too of how tough it is for guys like Hrovat and Honeychurch who've been attacking ball winners as juniors and in AFL now have to be defensively minded forwards. Lachie certainly relished the chance to 'see-ball-get-ball' and be involved all game. He should have the skills to be a better player than Dahl, but as we all know, talent is only a part of the equation. He's very young though. I sure hope he makes it.

Really like the Hrovat comparison whose midfield form has been comparable at VFL level but it hasn't translated when playing predominantly as a half forward for the seniors. It's one more spot taken now that Lachie has grabbed his chance but I'd love to see Hrovat given the same opportunity to play as a genuine midfielder/receiver. Like Lachie he doesn't have that burst speed that makes Honeychurch such a defensive pressure demon but I still think his skill around the contest could be pretty valuable over the next few years. As a forward he doesn't have the 1 on 1 weapons to make it

ledge
29-07-2015, 09:23 AM
Hunter is probably one of the best readers of the play at the club, he is also very cheeky and quick, loves to play on which is Bevos style, just remember two things , playing on at all costs will sometimes get you in trouble , our whole team hasn't found that balance yet.
Don't forget his age he is very young and has a lot to learn, this kid has shown more in two games than Ayce Cordy in 5 years .. Give him a break.
This kid will be a great player just let him mature in body and mind.

BornInDroopSt'54
29-07-2015, 01:27 PM
The coach and co obviously think Hunter is a genuine star who needs tough love at this stage.
This year they've let him know he's not ready to give his best yet and not ready to play disciplined team rules and the way they see his talents can contribute. Then Vs Collingwood he is a consummate genius and the message comes from the coach (and Bont on Talking Footy): "That's what we expect consistently from you because that's who we know you are."
How powerful is that; both the message and Lachie's performance?

Bulldog4life
29-07-2015, 07:27 PM
Hunter was taking the position Grant had been playing and had approx double Grant's normal possessions

Where will Granty fit in if he plays a full game this week?

hujsh
02-08-2015, 07:33 PM
Great as Hunter has been offensively with the outside work I'd like to give him a shout out for the hard and defensive efforts he's put in the last couple weeks, especially in the air. He's shown more reliability and determination than I would have previously expected from him and it makes it that much sweeter when he does show off those skills.

Go_Dogs
02-08-2015, 09:00 PM
His mark today running back into the unknown was pretty good. Very happy his form has turned a corner, he compliments what we've had in our side over the balance of the year very nicely.

Dancin' Douggy
02-08-2015, 09:38 PM
A potential A grader in my opinion

LostDoggy
02-08-2015, 09:42 PM
Hunter was brilliant again, very pleasing to see.

LostDoggy
02-08-2015, 09:50 PM
Still think there is plenty of improvement too. He is still slight, a few more preseasons will greatly benefit him.

With Libba and Stevens to return and Hunter, Wallis, Dahlhaus, Bontempelli, Macrae, Daniel, Stringer, Honeychurch, Smith etc still years from their peak it is scary to think how good this midfield group could be.

bornadog
02-08-2015, 09:56 PM
The other thing I liked about Hunter's game was his disposal. He does not waste one disposal and hits a target every time.

kruder
02-08-2015, 10:05 PM
The penny has finally dropped with him. One thing that has really stood out for mine is his tank. We were looking really dour around the contest and he has added that little bit of X-factor that we lacked.

comrade
02-08-2015, 10:52 PM
That 2nd pass to Daniel was so far away from his Melbourne and Gold Coast performances, where he would have dodged and weaved, burnt his teammates and snapped over his shoulder.

Playing team oriented footy but with plenty of flair (liked his speccy attempt).

I wasn't aware he had the ability to accumulate so well and with his disposal and decision making ability, he's got massive hurt factor.

RE-SIGN HIM NOW!

The Bulldogs Bite
03-08-2015, 02:17 AM
A real pleasant surprise in the last two weeks, a huge find for our battling midfield given Stevens went down. Hopefully he maintains it - he's been excellent.

stefoid
04-08-2015, 11:24 AM

We have so many stoppage warriors that removing Libba and Griffen from the equation has hardly hurt us. I include Macrae in that as well.

Its attacking ball users on the outside that we need to compliment that lot - enter Hunter, McLean, Dale, Daniel... :)

stefoid
04-08-2015, 11:30 AM
whoops double

stefoid
04-08-2015, 11:33 AM
Hunter was taking the position Grant had been playing and had approx double Grant's normal possessions

Where will Granty fit in if he plays a full game this week?

It makes sense because that role is predominantly outside covering space and receiving the ball, and although Grant is much taller, Hunter has aerial strength to match him.

But the big difference is that Hunter is a much better kick on the run. Grant is a 'winger' who cant kick the ball on the run - his kicking style limits him to dinky floaters or stop and prop. You cant have that deficiency as a winger. It also used to bug me that Grant rarely uses his explosive straight line speed the way someone like JJ/Murph do, because he could - we have seen him bring it out maybe once every 2 or 3 games... And its because if he has to make the kick count at the end of a run, he cant.

Hunter is just a better player all round, IMO - has all of Grants strengths covered except straight line speed, and beats him easily in all areas Grant is deficient.

always right
04-08-2015, 11:37 AM
You're becoming repetitive Stefoid.

jeemak
04-08-2015, 12:44 PM
It makes sense because that role is predominantly outside covering space and receiving the ball, and although Grant is much taller, Hunter has aerial strength to match him.

But the big difference is that Hunter is a much better kick on the run. Grant is a 'winger' who cant kick the ball on the run - his kicking style limits him to dinky floaters or stop and prop. You cant have that deficiency as a winger. It also used to bug me that Grant rarely uses his explosive straight line speed the way someone like JJ/Murph do, because he could - we have seen him bring it out maybe once every 2 or 3 games... And its because if he has to make the kick count at the end of a run, he cant.

Hunter is just a better player all round, IMO - has all of Grants strengths covered except straight line speed, and beats him easily in all areas Grant is deficient.

Penetrating kicks on the run are something we've seen from Grant this season, on top of his dinky/tricky short kicks in general play.

There was an excellent demonstration of his ability to do so in the second with his kick to Crameri this week.

stefoid
04-08-2015, 04:03 PM
Penetrating kicks on the run are something we've seen from Grant this season, on top of his dinky/tricky short kicks in general play.

There was an excellent demonstration of his ability to do so in the second with his kick to Crameri this week.

http://www.afl.com.au/video/smart-replay?round=CD_R201501418&matchId=CD_M20150141808&eventType=Goal&seek=1973&videoQuality=high

Great piece of play, but how often does he do that kind of thing?

I cant find the link but later when he did put on the afterburners and had a few bounces and had the entire F50 to run into and kick the kind of uplifting running goal you want your wingers to kick... he just didnt.

jeemak
04-08-2015, 04:36 PM
http://www.afl.com.au/video/smart-replay?round=CD_R201501418&matchId=CD_M20150141808&eventType=Goal&seek=1973&videoQuality=high

Great piece of play, but how often does he do that kind of thing?

I cant find the link but later when he did put on the afterburners and had a few bounces and had the entire F50 to run into and kick the kind of uplifting running goal you want your wingers to kick... he just didnt.

Just because he didn't have a shot it doesn't he wasn't capable of kicking the goal.

JohnGentStand
04-08-2015, 05:15 PM
Hunter has just looked so busy and WANTS the ball in his hands.
In 2 weeks he has shown a glimpse of a potential gun. Shades of Daniel Kerr.

1eyedog
07-02-2017, 12:30 PM
Different players but what about his general value? I think he will be extremely damaging in 2017. Of all our players based on pure football ability I feel Hunter could do anything and has a ceiling with no boundary. Thinking about his step up post 2014 I think he'll be unstoppable over the next 3 years and is a BIG ignore at your peril for opposition coaches. Awkward match up and possibly our smartest footballer. Another recruiting coup from our blue chip gene pool.

Twodogs
07-02-2017, 01:36 PM
Good call on Hunter being our smartest player. He's one of our most talented pure footballers and as well as he played last season I still think he has a heap of improvement left in him.

aker39
07-02-2017, 01:43 PM
Good call on Hunter being our smartest player. He's one of our most talented pure footballers and as well as he played last season I still think he has a heap of improvement left in him.

He can't be most talented if he can't use his right foot.;)

Mofra
07-02-2017, 01:47 PM
His biggest forte is his tank - he has a naturally high endurance base so can work his opponents over and just get to more contests / handball receives.

3rd in the B&F - if he backs up 2016 with an year equal in output we'd be happy.

BornInDroopSt'54
07-02-2017, 03:38 PM
I think as well as Hunter having improvement in him, Liberatore has a of of improvement in him. He was hampered by his injury last year, including the finals, which limited his run and ability to jump, but left no mark on his competitiveness.

Twodogs
07-02-2017, 05:23 PM
I think as well as Hunter having improvement in him, Liberatore has a of of improvement in him. He was hampered by his injury last year, including the finals, which limited his run and ability to jump, but left no mark on his competitiveness.

He was unbelievable wasn't he? It was already the best return I'd seen from a player coming back from a knee. Especially as he spends half the game on his knees shovelling the ball out of packs, it lust have given the new joint a real work out. But then to pick up a long term injury then get back and perform at the level he did was an amazing effort.

And you're right he should only get better this year.

Eastdog
07-02-2017, 09:10 PM
He was unbelievable wasn't he? It was already the best return I'd seen from a player coming back from a knee. Especially as he spends half the game on his knees shovelling the ball out of packs, it lust have given the new joint a real work out. But then to pick up a long term injury then get back and perform at the level he did was an amazing effort.

And you're right he should only get better this year.

Hopefully Wallis too will follow and pretty much pick up where he left off before that horrible injury. Yes agree on Libba just an absolute workhorse. Hunter for sure has more improvement in him - Hunter = ball magnet.

1eyedog
07-02-2017, 10:31 PM
I think Hunter is a one in a few AFL players. Not fast, not strong, not a great kick, not a long kick, not a great mark etc. Gets to dangerous spots all the time. Even better always seems to be in the vicinity of a celebration. Indirectly tells me he is always at the pointy end of a score.

bornadog
07-02-2017, 11:45 PM
I think Hunter is a one in a few AFL players. Not fast, not strong, not a great kick, not a long kick, not a great mark etc. Gets to dangerous spots all the time. Even better always seems to be in the vicinity of a celebration. Indirectly tells me he is always at the pointy end of a score.

He certainly knows how to find the ball. Racks up alot of possessions.

MrMahatma
08-02-2017, 10:02 AM
Needs a right foot and needs to improve his set shots at goal. Major upside and could be a really damaging wingman if he does these.

Twodogs
08-02-2017, 02:54 PM
Needs a right foot and needs to improve his set shots at goal. Major upside and could be a really damaging wingman if he does these.

Pretty much the whole list needs to improve them.

i was suprised at the GF at halftime we were 8.1. I remember thinking that it was what a great day it was to have our kicking boots on. Of course we kicked 1.6 in the third quarter but I always felt confident that we'd nail the shots that really mattered in the last quarter and we did.

GVGjr
08-02-2017, 07:52 PM

It was noted with Beveridge first started that he wanted all players to work on their opposite side but I haven't seen a lot of improvement there.

Hunter has the ability to improve his set shot conversions and I think if the coaches keep telling him to do that he will. He has to get into good habits at training and in the pre-game warm-ups.

At the moment he gets a lot of ticks for his ability to win the ball and his ability to read the play so with a be of refinement with his kicking and goal kicking he be really be an A grade player in the competition. Given the strength of other similar aged and talented players as Hunter it's a great group of guys we have at our club that should inspire each other.

To think other clubs were reluctant to use an early pick on him has been a real bonus for us.

GVGjr
08-02-2017, 07:57 PM
Pretty much the whole list needs to improve them.

i was suprised at the GF at halftime we were 8.1. I remember thinking that it was what a great day it was to have our kicking boots on. Of course we kicked 1.6 in the third quarter but I always felt confident that we'd nail the shots that really mattered in the last quarter and we did.

I can't discount the need to improve based on our success in the grand final. There is still a lot of scope for improvement.

Twodogs
09-02-2017, 01:36 AM
I can't discount the need to improve based on our success in the grand final. There is still a lot of scope for improvement.

I wouldn't call 1.6 in the third good. Sure the first half was great but once again when we had the chance and opportunity to really kill the game by 3/4 time we fluffed our lines. We came good again in the last and owned the important moments and kicked goals on the back of them and had the game sewn up a few minutes before the siren.

But it's a bit annoying that once again we let the opposition off and kept them in the game at 3\4,time with bad kicking for goal.if we'd lost that would have been pointed at as one of the main reasons why.

But it's a young team and eager to learn and improve. They'lll get it right

Go_Dogs
12-02-2017, 09:02 AM
They remain very different players, but Hunter is now a much more consistent player which has been a hallmark of Dahl's game for quite a while. Hopefully they both have big years again.