PDA

View Full Version : On this day 25 years ago

bornadog
29-07-2015, 02:37 PM
Steven Kolynuik runs around Graeme Wright of Collingwood to put a goal through and give Footscray the lead over Collingwood deep in the 4th quarter. Round 17, Sunday 29th July 1990

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrCBGfn-WFw

Watch the ball movement from one end to the other.

Templeton31
29-07-2015, 03:04 PM
goose bumps. Billy the Kid's greatest goal. thanks for the bump bornadog.

bornadog
29-07-2015, 03:07 PM
goose bumps. Billy the Kid's greatest goal. thanks for the bump bornadog.

I remember that day so well. I was sitting in the pocket on level 2 with Koly just in front of me. My mate said do you think he will run around as he did that several times in that year. I think Collingwood had won 12 in arow, the Southern Stand was half pulled down, but a big crowd nevertheless.

Great game and if anyone gets a chance, watch the last quarter it was fantastic football.

Twodogs
29-07-2015, 03:18 PM
I remember that day so well. I was sitting in the pocket on level 2 with Koly just in front of me. My mate said do you think he will run around as he did that several times in that year. I think Collingwood had won 12 in arow, the Southern Stand was half pulled down, but a big crowd nevertheless.

Great game and if anyone gets a chance, watch the last quarter it was fantastic football.

I think we were the last team to beat them before they won the flag that year too.

bornadog
29-07-2015, 03:47 PM
I think we were the last team to beat them before they won the flag that year too.

They lost two weeks later to Bombers by 6 points and then the following week to Hawks by 83 points.

always right
29-07-2015, 03:49 PM
Man...do I feel old. Remember the game vividly. One of the great goals....and Billy was one of my favourites.

Twodogs
29-07-2015, 04:22 PM
They lost two weeks later to Bombers by 6 points and then the following week to Hawks by 83 points.

Cheers. I must have inverted the sequence over the tears.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
29-07-2015, 04:24 PM
I was there it was my birthday!

merantau
29-07-2015, 05:08 PM
Thanks for posting. I was in Big Hill near Bendigo building a deck. Listened to the game on 3LO. It was bitterly cold, so cold that there were a few flurries of snow being driven on a howling wind. The game was a thriller, complimented by a most vivid, emotion-filled description which really captured, and added, to the atmosphere. I would have given my right arm to be there though. When Billy kicked that goal I went inside screaming to my wife, 'We've hit the front.' 'Oh, that's good,' she replied calmly - she didn't understand football but knew it was important to me. The next couple of minutes were as tension filled as any I've ever gone through as we toughed it out for a famous victory.
Possibly the greatest match winning goal ever at 'the G'. The audacity of it was breath taking. To take on one of the game's quickest, wrong foot him, take two bounces at top pace with Wright breathing down his neck and then slot the goal with his non-preferred from 35 metres out, was an act of sublime grace, steely nerve and matchless courage by Billy the Kid, an all-time Bulldog favorite whose act that day is etched forever in the memories of those lucky enough to witness it. Go Dogs!

KT31
29-07-2015, 05:14 PM

Happy Birthday INB, hope you are having a lovely one.
Loved it when Kolly took them on.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
29-07-2015, 05:26 PM
Thanks - best footy season birthday ever!

bornadog
29-07-2015, 05:45 PM

Ha yes thanks for the good pickup KT31

Happy Birthday INB

Mantis
29-07-2015, 05:48 PM
Great win!.. My most vivid memory of this goal was jumping out of my seat in sheer delight when he kicked the goal and landing flat on my butt as I went to sit back down.. The 'G had only just fitted the flip up seats and I wasn't quite used to them.

We went back to the jammed packed social club after the game, the roar when 'Billy' walked in was deafening.

merantau
29-07-2015, 05:51 PM
Ha yes thanks for the good pickup KT31

Happy Birthday INB
Yes, Happy Birthday INB. Have a good one.

Axe Man
29-07-2015, 06:26 PM
I was fortunate enough to be at this game as well. Back in those days Dad would usually only take us to games at Waverley because it was the easiest to get to from Gippsland. I think maybe on that day we were on the way home from visiting my grandparents in Ocean Grove and called into the MCG for the match.

I remember that we had to stand due to the big crowd and lack of seats from the Southern Stand redevelopment. Pretty sure we were at the opposite end to Billy's goal, in the Ponsford stand or thereabouts.

Can anyone recall how they managed to still have a full house for the 1990 grand final, yet they had to move the 1991 grand final to Waverley?

Bulldog4life
29-07-2015, 07:17 PM
Stlll got this great game on tape

I love it

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
29-07-2015, 07:29 PM
The club put out a special vhs tape of the game such was the excitement

Bulldog4life
29-07-2015, 07:30 PM

That is the one I bought

Twodogs
29-07-2015, 07:46 PM
Great win!.. My most vivid memory of this goal was jumping out of my seat in sheer delight when he kicked the goal and landing flat on my butt as I went to sit back down.. The 'G had only just fitted the flip up seats and I wasn't quite used to them.

We went back to the jammed packed social club after the game, the roar when 'Billy' walked in was deafening.

Heh! I did the same thing a couple of weeks ago at a game.

I was fortunate enough to be at this game as well. Back in those days Dad would usually only take us to games at Waverley because it was the easiest to get to from Gippsland. I think maybe on that day we were on the way home from visiting my grandparents in Ocean Grove and called into the MCG for the match.

I remember that we had to stand due to the big crowd and lack of seats from the Southern Stand redevelopment. Pretty sure we were at the opposite end to Billy's goal, in the Ponsford stand or thereabouts.

Can anyone recall how they managed to still have a full house for the 1990 grand final, yet they had to move the 1991 grand final to Waverley?

The old VFL were hellbent on playing a Grand Final at Waverley. For that administration that one game was an Article of Faith. When they realised that they could hold the MCC over a barrel on negotiations over the rebuild of the ground they got them to move one GF as part of the price.

So the VFL could stick it up the MCC is the answer.

Ozza
29-07-2015, 10:42 PM
I was at the game as a 7 year old with the old man, and remember how exciting that was, but had never seen the footage until just then. Great calling from Bruce!

westdog54
30-07-2015, 10:57 AM
I was overseas throughout all of this. We were travelling with our cousins who were all Collingwood Supporters.

We learned of Billy's Goal, Libba's brownlow and Collingwood's flag all via Long Distance phone calls with a 4 or 5 second delay.

craigsahibee
30-07-2015, 01:14 PM

I bought my copy from 'Name a Game".

bornadog
30-07-2015, 01:31 PM
I bought my copy from 'Name a Game".

Yes so did I and have since converted to DVD.

Twodogs
30-07-2015, 04:14 PM
I was overseas throughout all of this. We were travelling with our cousins who were all Collingwood Supporters.

We learned of Billy's Goal, Libba's brownlow and Collingwood's flag all via Long Distance phone calls with a 4 or 5 second delay.

"Yeah, Miss you too Nanna. Who won the footy!"

westdog54
30-07-2015, 04:17 PM
"Yeah, Miss you too Nanna. Who won the footy!"

It was my uncle that we spoke to, that was pretty much it!

Smads57
30-07-2015, 08:43 PM
At the game with my dad behind the goals that Billy was kicking to. After the game we turned to leave the MCG and a couple of old ladies who supported Collingwood said they were genuinely pleased for us that we won - they could see how much it meant to all the Bulldog supporters sitting around us.

bornadog
30-07-2015, 09:55 PM
At the game with my dad behind the goals that Billy was kicking to. After the game we turned to leave the MCG and a couple of old ladies who supported Collingwood said they were genuinely pleased for us that we won - they could see how much it meant to all the Bulldog supporters sitting around us.

I was with a mate and the guys in front of us were Collingwood supporters, and I wasn't sure if they were human or not. That is no exaggeration.

Twodogs
30-07-2015, 10:34 PM
I've always found Collingwood supporters to be pretty condescending after defeats in the past "good to see, fantastic for you guys." That sort of thing. But Sunday was different. They were pissed off. No congratulations or pats on on the back on Sunday.

Love it.

Remi Moses
31-07-2015, 01:27 AM

They'd pulled down the roof of the southern stand in 1990, and then pulled down the bottom section in time for the Boxing Day test in 1990. In 1991 half the ground was gone, hence the GF at the hole Waverley

Remi Moses
31-07-2015, 01:29 AM
I've always found Collingwood supporters to be pretty condescending after defeats in the past "good to see, fantastic for you guys." That sort of thing. But Sunday was different. They were pissed off. No congratulations or pats on on the back on Sunday.

Love it.
I think pie fans had a fair bit of sympathy after what transpired in 89.
They were due a loss as well, and unfortunately we lost at home to Carlton the next week.

Twodogs
31-07-2015, 09:08 AM
I think pie fans had a fair bit of sympathy after what transpired in 89.
They were due a loss as well, and unfortunately we lost at home to Carlton the next week.

I meant last Sunday. They were majorly pissed off on Sunday after the game.

Eastdog
31-07-2015, 06:57 PM
I was a 1 year old baby at the time :)

Twodogs
31-07-2015, 08:14 PM
I was a 1 year old baby at the time :)

I was a 26 year old baby back then.

LostDoggy
01-08-2015, 03:15 PM
I have mixed feelings about this moment in time. I was in the stands with my father (who'd had a stroke the previous year). We were in an area with some pretty grubby Pies supporters (surprise, surprise) and had been involved in a fair bit of back and forth through the day.

When Billy kicked that goal we were both out of our seats and punching the air but my Dad got so excited he honestly believed he was having a heart attack.

What a roller coaster of a minute that was. The excitement of Billy taking on and pantsing Graeme Wright, the pure joy as the ball sailed through, then confusion, fear and a kind of nervous relief.

The final seconds of the match were agony. Aside from just wanting to win, I was sh.tscared the anxiety was going to be too much for my Dad (who insisted on seeing the game out). Quite a few people around us were concerned, it made for an insanely intense finale.

He was fine afterwards and we ended up laughing about the afternoon many times, but I remember feeling emotionally shattered on the way home. It definitely goes down as my most bittersweet day at the footy. I'm just thankful we hung on for the win.

merantau
01-08-2015, 03:24 PM
I have mixed feelings about this moment in time. I was in the stands with my father (who'd had a stroke the previous year). We were in an area with some pretty grubby Pies supporters (surprise, surprise) and had been involved in a fair bit of back and forth through the day.

When Billy kicked that goal we were both out of our seats and punching the air but my Dad got so excited he honestly believed he was having a heart attack.

What a roller coaster of a minute that was. The excitement of Billy taking on and pantsing Graeme Wright, the pure joy as the ball sailed through, then confusion, fear and a kind of nervous relief.

The final seconds of the match were agony. Aside from just wanting to win, I was sh.tscared the anxiety was going to be too much for my Dad (who insisted on seeing the game out). Quite a few people around us were concerned, it made for an insanely intense finale.

He was fine afterwards and we ended up laughing about the afternoon many times, but I remember feeling emotionally shattered on the way home. It definitely goes down as my most bittersweet day at the footy. I'm just thankful we hung on for the win.
Great post. Thanks for sharing and well done to your Dad for gutsing it out - Bulldog spirit to the max.

Twodogs
01-08-2015, 03:43 PM
That's an epic thing to happen PP. As above great bullfog spirit by your dad.

My son hugged my old man so hard at a game at Etihad last year that he nearly threw him into level 1.

jeemak
01-08-2015, 03:47 PM

I'm a 36 year old baby in one week!

Eastdog
01-08-2015, 03:50 PM

Im 26 now :) I can pinpoint the start of my support for the Dogs when I was around age 11-12.

azabob
01-08-2015, 03:57 PM
Funny how moments stick with you...

I was 11 at the time and wasn't at the ground but was at my uncles house with my grandma. I was out the back on their trampoline with my transistor radio listening intently.

As soon as the siren sounded, I bolted inside and said, gran, gran, gran, we have to go... we have to go now... the bulldogs have just beaten the magpies in the last three minutes and we need to get home and watch the channel 7 replay!

Lucky for me my gran was persuaded and we drove home listening to the after-game discussion and interviews on the radio and then got to see the channel 7 replay.

Great memories.

LostDoggy
01-08-2015, 04:07 PM
Great post. Thanks for sharing and well done to your Dad for gutsing it out - Bulldog spirit to the max.

Cheers guys. You've gotta love the emotion the footy brings out.

There is something about Collingwood games especially.

I can remember hugging my best friend as the final siren sounded just after Simon Beasley's famous goal went through.

Decidedly uncool for two 16 year olds in 1984. We were immediately wierded out and pretended it never happened.

Took us years to acknowledge it and have a laugh about it.

Only takes a decent smother for me to be hugging anyone in nearby vicinity these days!!

Twodogs
01-08-2015, 05:24 PM
Collingwood 1984 is a special moment.

Bulldog4life
01-08-2015, 07:59 PM
Cheers guys. You've gotta love the emotion the footy brings out.

There is something about Collingwood games especially.

I can remember hugging my best friend as the final siren sounded just after Simon Beasley's famous goal went through.

Decidedly uncool for two 16 year olds in 1984. We were immediately wierded out and pretended it never happened.

Took us years to acknowledge it and have a laugh about it.

Only takes a decent smother for me to be hugging anyone in nearby vicinity these days!!

My cousin was at the GF of the VFL last year and was hugging everybody in vicinity he told me when the siren sounded

Twodogs
01-08-2015, 08:28 PM
My cousin was at the GF of the VFL last year and was hugging everybody in vicinity he told me when the siren sounded

I was in the biggest biggest group hug I have ever seen that day. I refer to it on the VFL GF thread.

I have a vague recollection of Westdog54 minding his own business and getting swamped by it.

Bulldog4life
01-08-2015, 08:31 PM
I was in the biggest biggest group hug I have ever seen that day. I refer to it on the VFL GF thread.

I have a vague recollection of Westdog54 minding his own business and getting swamped by it.

Can you imagine what it will be like when we win the big won!

merantau
01-08-2015, 09:09 PM
Yes I can and it's going to be BIG!!!! There will be a tsunami of emotion as has never been witnessed before. The victory will dwarf any celebration that our rivals have ever enjoyed. The only thing to compare would be North in '75 and the AInts in 66 and ours will be much, much bigger celebrations. I'll be spending a week in Melbourne to savour it all.

Twodogs
01-08-2015, 09:56 PM

A AFL premiership would be awesome.

Mind you, I wouldn't say no to another Footscray premiership either. The last one was a pretty epic day. I imagine a AFL premiership would be the topping on the, umm, whatever you put topping on top of.

westdog54
01-08-2015, 11:24 PM

Partially correct.

You, your son and old man were sitting in front of my brother and I.

You grabbed the both of them when Jones kicked his 4th to make it more than a 2 goal lead.

I jumped in as well and then my brother got a piece.

I think that's how it happened...