PDA

View Full Version : Dalrymple on the Bont, Stringer, Macrae, drafting etc etc. Very interesting listening

Dancin' Douggy
29-07-2015, 04:03 PM
This is pretty long, but it's great. it's a long interview with Dalrymple about drafting. Who, when why etc etc.
Lots of detail on the 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016 drafts.
Lots of detail on individual players and the thought processes behind the picks.

And it's all bulldog all the way through.

Enjoy...............

http://www.afl.com.au/draft/road-to-the-draft

Mofra
29-07-2015, 05:39 PM
Interesting to hear a few of his thoughts, especially the ruck/forward role.
We may well be active players at the trade table this year

Cyberdoggie
29-07-2015, 06:31 PM
Interesting, thanks for the link.

Twoomey certainly knows his stuff, or reads forums a lot.

Asking about Carlisle, Dalrymple thinks he's a defender, tried not to answer if we were interested in him.
Do we need another key defender?

Darcy MacPherson is going to play some VFL footy for Footscray later in the year so we can see how he goes against men.

Keen on recruiting zones/academies

Not keen on the 19 year old rule for TAC cup.

Shache or Weitering for number 1 he thinks Weitering.

I think the Lions will pick the opposite.

Mofra
30-07-2015, 10:18 AM

It must be a tough call for no 1 this year - Weitering is the better player but genuine no 1 KPFs are worth their weight in gold at AFL level.
KPDs can be found late in the draft and can be effective if they are disciplined and coached the right way (e.g. Lake was pick 72, Fletcher PSD pick, Morris a rookie, Hamling a trade for peanuts)

westdog54
30-07-2015, 10:52 AM

Asking about Carlisle, Dalrymple thinks he's a defender, tried not to answer if we were interested in him.

Darcy MacPherson is going to play some VFL footy for Footscray later in the year so we can see how he goes against men.

I think the VFL/State leagues now provide ample opportunities for 18yos who don't make the cut to show their wares to potential recruiters.

Smads57
30-07-2015, 08:48 PM
I was listening to Dalrymple and started to wonder whether he would interest other clubs (Carlton) due to his recent good work.
Having recently lost our Fitness Advisor to Gold Coast, it begs the question - whom could we least afford to lose at the moment from the club - I think Dalrymple is very important for us as is McCartney (list mgt).

Dancin' Douggy
30-07-2015, 10:13 PM
I was listening to Dalrymple and started to wonder whether he would interest other clubs (Carlton) due to his recent good work.
Having recently lost our Fitness Advisor to Gold Coast, it begs the question - whom could we least afford to lose at the moment from the club - I think Dalrymple is very important for us as is McCartney (list mgt).
The more I think about it, the more I believe recruitment is THE most important part of the entire machine.

If you draft and recruit well........all the time............you're always in a position of power.

If you piss high draft picks away, and then have to trade away top picks for players another team took as a rookie, or as a much later pick it's simply bad gearing.
Dalrymple , since the Christian Howard affair, has just been so good, we need to keep him at all costs.
Last years draft was the clincher for me. No pick higher than 26 (?) and it appears he's nailed them all. The trades we did all look sound. And the Tom Boyd deal....... it was a big one no doubt........a lot of money....... Ryan Griffen and pick 6......but Ryan was gone anyway.......on top of that he's 29...got a bad back.......and....when he retires in 2 or 3 years, and BIG TOM is just entering his prime.........all the commentators will be drooling about what a great deal we made.

GVGjr
30-07-2015, 11:06 PM
The more I think about it, the more I believe recruitment is THE most important part of the entire machine.

If you draft and recruit well........all the time............you're always in a position of power.

If you piss high draft picks away, and then have to trade away top picks for players another team took as a rookie, or as a much later pick it's simply bad gearing.
Dalrymple , since the Christian Howard affair, has just been so good, we need to keep him at all costs.
Last years draft was the clincher for me. No pick higher than 26 (?) and it appears he's nailed them all. The trades we did all look sound. And the Tom Boyd deal....... it was a big one no doubt........a lot of money....... Ryan Griffen and pick 6......but Ryan was gone anyway.......on top of that he's 29...got a bad back.......and....when he retires in 2 or 3 years, and BIG TOM is just entering his prime.........all the commentators will be drooling about what a great deal we made.

Dalrymple gets the Howard selection thrown at him all the time and from memory I called it a ballsy move on the draft night especially for a first time recruiting manager. I believe the coach was adamant that we pick 2 players with good kicking skills and Dalrymple might have moved off the 'best player available' approach just so slightly to accommodate the coach.

Greystache
31-07-2015, 01:16 AM
Dalrymple gets the Howard selection thrown at him all the time and from memory I called it a ballsy move on the draft night especially for a first time recruiting manager. I believe the coach was adamant that we pick 2 players with good kicking skills and Dalrymple might have moved off the 'best player available' approach just so slightly to accommodate the coach.

Jasper Pittard was the player we were closely linked to given the word was we were looking for a half back with good kicking skills. He had a good pedigree and was from the proven elite pathway. Even if we were to reach for kicking skills Howard still didn't make sense. As it turned out Howard couldn't kick anyway.

He has redeemed himself since but that selection was an inexcusable shocker both practically and strategically.

LostDoggy
31-07-2015, 08:03 AM
Poor Christian, having Brendan Mccartney as coach never hrlped him either. He nearly ruined alot more players careers then just Howards.

Twodogs
31-07-2015, 09:21 AM
Jasper Pittard was the player we were closely linked to given the word was we were looking for a half back with good kicking skills. He had a good pedigree and was from the proven elite pathway. Even if we were to reach for kicking skills Howard still didn't make sense. As it turned out Howard couldn't kick anyway.

He has redeemed himself since but that selection was an inexcusable shocker both practically and strategically.

Howard may not have been able to kick but he could shin the ball beautifully. That goal in the GF last year makes him a Footscray legend along with Art Gregory and Roy Park. ;)

Or was it Tutt?

Ghost Dog
31-07-2015, 11:57 AM

He also copped a fair bit of criticism for the Lake deal, which seemed to work out well.

Happy Days
31-07-2015, 12:15 PM

I still to this day don't understand why we didn't pick Pittard. Thinking we were so hell bent on Lewis Jetta that we automatically diverted to the guy we planned on picking in the second round out of panic.

Greystache
31-07-2015, 12:40 PM
Howard may not have been able to kick but he could shin the ball beautifully. That goal in the GF last year makes him a Footscray legend along with Art Gregory and Roy Park. ;)

Or was it Tutt?

It was Howard. He kicked it off his shin and somehow it swung against the helicopter spin and went straight through the middle. The ironic thing is if he'd made decent contact it would likely have gone out on the full. It was certainly our day that day.

Twodogs
31-07-2015, 06:32 PM
It was Howard. He kicked it off his shin and somehow it swung against the helicopter spin and went straight through the middle. The ironic thing is if he'd made decent contact it would likely have gone out on the full. It was certainly our day that day.

It was. Especially the last quarter. It's always how I imagined Footscray winning a flag would be. The last quarter comeback, the pro Footscray crowd, family and friends, me up on the dais accepting the cup and kissing the bulldog on the front of my guernsey to the roar of the crowd...

Well all but the last one actually happened. And I was on the ground when the cup was raised.

chef
31-07-2015, 06:36 PM

If the Lions go Shache they won't have to worry about the go home factor much with this kid as he's desperate to go to the Lions. One of my daughters friends and he's be dreaming of playing for his dads club for a long time.

Twodogs
31-07-2015, 08:21 PM
If the Lions go Shache they won't have to worry about the go home factor much with this kid as he's desperate to go to the Lions. One of my daughters friends and he's be dreaming of playing for his dads club for a long time.

Good to hear, I hope he gets there. I wonder if that's impirtant to Brisbane after losing so many players to the go home geeiwantmoremoneyinvictoria/wa/sa factor?

I love it when a kid really wants to play for a particular club.

mjp
02-08-2015, 04:14 PM

Nope. It's player development. Getting talented players (and kids picked in the first couple of rounds are universally talented) into an environment that enables them to quickly improve is the key. Recruiting is important. Development is important-er! :-)

mjp
02-08-2015, 04:17 PM
Good to hear, I hope he gets there. I wonder if that's impirtant to Brisbane after losing so many players to the go home geeiwantmoremoneyinvictoria/wa/sa factor?

I love it when a kid really wants to play for a particular club.

I don't think anyone would select Schache over Weitering. And that includes Brisbane.

Twodogs
02-08-2015, 05:30 PM
I don't think anyone would select Schache over Weitering. And that includes Brisbane.

Fair enough. From what I have read and heard the top two are head and shoulders above the rest.

mjp
02-08-2015, 06:07 PM
Fair enough. From what I have read and heard the top two are head and shoulders above the rest.

Weitering is the best player. Ryan Burton is the most talented player. Will anyone take a chance on Burton coming off that broken leg?The funning thing is, it is not a great draft for mids though. Hopper might be the best I guess but he is Giants Academy so you have to wonder what will happen there (bidding system etc).

There are some pretty good players in the draft and first 40-45 picks have the chance to be good players.

Go_Dogs
02-08-2015, 08:52 PM
If we keep our first round selection, I wonder if we could end up with Burton - could be pretty scary for opposition sides in a few years if we did, he'd fit in well with a few of our blokes who can rotate around the park and cause havoc.

GVGjr
02-08-2015, 08:54 PM
If we keep our first round selection, I wonder if we could end up with Burton - could be pretty scary for opposition sides in a few years if we did, he'd fit in well with a few of our blokes who can rotate around the park and cause havoc.

He will go earlier than our pick, can't see him sliding past Adelaide.

Go_Dogs
02-08-2015, 08:57 PM

Fair call - particularly if they lose Dangerfield and end up with a couple of first round selections - Burton could be a good replacement in time.

mjp
02-08-2015, 10:49 PM

What if he doesn't actually get back and PLAY a game this year?

He might just slip.

GVGjr
02-08-2015, 10:54 PM
What if he doesn't actually get back and PLAY a game this year?

He might just slip.

My guess is the Crows and Port will watch him much like we did with Stringer and it didn't really stop the Crows with Lever last year.
He would be perfect for us but we will be picking later than the teams that probably value him the most.

LostDoggy
03-08-2015, 01:20 PM

I believe we'll lose two at the end of the year, so yes, we do.

Morris to retire (I hope not but am preparing myself emotionally for it).
Talia to Adelaide. Again, preparing myself…

Weitering is the best player. Ryan Burton is the most talented player. Will anyone take a chance on Burton coming off that broken leg?The funning thing is, it is not a great draft for mids though. Hopper might be the best I guess but he is Giants Academy so you have to wonder what will happen there (bidding system etc).

There are some pretty good players in the draft and first 40-45 picks have the chance to be good players.

Do you think the Stringer pay-off will have clubs more wary of letting blokes slip due to injury alone?

azabob
03-08-2015, 01:25 PM
BAS, my gut feel is that Morris will continue. He is now playing like he hasn't missed a beat.

Murphy'sLore
03-08-2015, 01:29 PM
Does time out from a serious injury add more years at the end of a career?

always right
03-08-2015, 02:02 PM
BAS, my gut feel is that Morris will continue. He is now playing like he hasn't missed a beat.

Earlier this year I was certain this would be Morris's last. Just seemed to have lost a yard or two. His last few weeks however have been outstanding and the temptation will be to go for one more season. Reckon he should retire knowing he played great football to the end.....he could fall of the cliff very quickly.

lemmon
03-08-2015, 03:20 PM
Just on the Shache v Weitering debate for Brisbane, Harris Andrews has been of their few bright lights and should be a rising star smokey, can you play two, 200cm centre half backs? I think they'll go Shache, especially if he wants to be there

LostDoggy
03-08-2015, 06:00 PM
Earlier this year I was certain this would be Morris's last. Just seemed to have lost a yard or two. His last few weeks however have been outstanding and the temptation will be to go for one more season. Reckon he should retire knowing he played great football to the end.....he could fall of the cliff very quickly.

I don't know. Honestly. Massively torn. The part of me that loves Morris the player wants him to retire before he has to finish a season in the sub vest. The part of me that's selfish wants him to play until he's 67.

Go_Dogs
03-08-2015, 06:53 PM
Do you think the Stringer pay-off will have clubs more wary of letting blokes slip due to injury alone?

It still happens every year, and clubs with more early picks or a stronger list are best prepared to take the risk than those without.

chef
03-08-2015, 07:12 PM
Can't see any of our old guys(the whole 3 of them) wanting to retire just yet, I reckon they'll all be quite excited and motivated to be part of next season.

Mantis
03-08-2015, 07:29 PM
Can't see any of our old guys(the whole 3 of them) wanting to retire just yet, I reckon they'll all be quite excited and motivated to be part of next season.

Agree.. And from what we have seen this year they all have something to offer in the short term.

boydogs
03-08-2015, 11:08 PM

I gather you're referring to Boyd, Morris & Murphy and writing off Minson

Throughandthrough
04-08-2015, 12:03 AM
Shoot me down, but Christian Howard is having a great year at Glenelg. His kicking has just about been sublime, and he's providing a great deal of carry and penetration off the back lines. Has kicked a few great long distance goals as well. He's a very good sanfl player.

chef
04-08-2015, 07:08 AM
I gather you're referring to Boyd, Morris & Murphy and writing off Minson

Minson's been written off already by our coach.

comrade
04-08-2015, 08:13 AM
Shoot me down, but Christian Howard is having a great year at Glenelg. His kicking has just about been sublime, and he's providing a great deal of carry and penetration off the back lines. Has kicked a few great long distance goals as well. He's a very good sanfl player.

Great to hear he's having a good year. Found his level.

Dancin' Douggy
04-08-2015, 09:56 AM
I'm actually happy to hear that. He must have been very downhearted after his afl career fizzled out so weakly. I wonder if the SA clubs have got their eyes on him. Will look good for dalrymple as well if Howard's career has a second wind.

Greystache
04-08-2015, 10:13 AM

Sounds a bit like Fuller, VFL level was a bit too much for him, but he's found a place in the SANFL.

Ozza
04-08-2015, 10:42 AM
Agree.. And from what we have seen this year they all have something to offer in the short term.

Tend to agree. I suspect all will be best 22 for most of the year. Certainly Murphy, and probably Boyd and Morris.

And just on Morris playing on - if the worst case scenario is that others go past him and he is playing VFL - then at least we have a great on field leader and team man helping to develop our VFL defenders.

LostDoggy
04-08-2015, 01:53 PM
Agree with everything said on M, M & B. They have been wonderful contributors to our club and are all still easily playing well enough to justify their spot in our best 18, let alone our list. Hell, Murph and/or Boyd may well be All-Australian this year. It would be nice to think that they can wind up their careers on their own terms.

From a List Management perspective, the complicating factor is that they are all filling a similar role as small/medium defenders and it is not ideal for them all to leave within a short time (say the end of next year). Will be interesting to see how this play out.

boydogs
04-08-2015, 02:30 PM
Minson's been written off already by our coach.

I wouldn't say that, he's giving everyone a go and seeing what he has to work with

LostDoggy
04-08-2015, 03:12 PM

I'm happy for him. Not his fault in the order he was drafted.

chef
04-08-2015, 04:39 PM
I wouldn't say that, he's giving everyone a go and seeing what he has to work with

I would. That's exactly what it looks like to me.

If Minson was in his plans as number 1 ruck he'd be in the side as number 1 ruck.

I'm not to fussed as I think Roughead/Campbell combo is a much better ruck division. Big Willie will be trade bait come the end of the season.