PDA

View Full Version : Match Committee - Round 19 vs Port Adelaide

Eastdog
31-07-2015, 04:43 PM
If you were on the Bulldogs match committee what changes would you make for our round 19 match against Port Adelaide at Etihad?

As always a brief explanation for your changes would add a lot of value to the discussion.

bulldogtragic
02-08-2015, 05:41 PM
When Grant plays 10-3. 75% winners.
When Grant doesn't play 1-3. 25% winners.

Grant plays.

bulldogtragic
02-08-2015, 07:02 PM
Bump

GVGjr
02-08-2015, 07:27 PM
Hard to work out the changes but I'd go for:

Hamling in for Prudden, Jong in for Dale.
I'd like to get Boyd back in probably for Redpath

bulldogtragic
02-08-2015, 07:30 PM
Hamling, Hrovat, Boyd

Dale, Prudden, Redpath

Rocco Jones
02-08-2015, 08:43 PM
Is Matthew Boyd ok?

Really don't want to make too many changes after an unchanged 22 has has 2 strong performances but...

In- Hamling, T.Boyd, Jong
Out- Prudden, Redpath, Dale

bulldogtragic
02-08-2015, 08:44 PM
Ollie Wines dislocated his shoulder today.

G-Mo77
02-08-2015, 08:48 PM
Redpath was 2 straight kicks from keeping his spot and has probably lost it because of that. I think he'll get dropped for Boyd who I thought was really good today at Footscray.

Hamling the other candidate so someone will make room for him. Someone mentioned that Wood pulled up a bit sore so it could be him.

LostDoggy
02-08-2015, 09:02 PM
Port don't have an overly large forward line, but very mobile. Maybe Talia to make way for Hamling rather than Prudden?

Wood may be injured as well?

Go_Dogs
02-08-2015, 09:03 PM
Subject to confirmation of any injuries, I think we may see...

In:-

T Boyd, Honeychurch, Hamling

Out:-

Redpath, Dale, Wood (inj/rest his hamstring) if Wood is right to go, then out Prudden.

GVGjr
02-08-2015, 09:03 PM
Port don't have an overly large forward line, but very mobile. Maybe Talia to make way for Hamling rather than Prudden?

Wood may be injured as well?
Good point.

Go_Dogs
02-08-2015, 09:07 PM
Good point.

Given Port have Ryder, Shultz and Westhoff, I'd probably keep Talia in - he's not an ideal match up against those guys but I'd prefer that than going too short against Port who have better talls (and delivery) than we have faced the past few weeks.

F'scary
02-08-2015, 09:27 PM
Given Port have Ryder, Shultz and Westhoff, I'd probably keep Talia in - he's not an ideal match up against those guys but I'd prefer that than going too short against Port who have better talls (and delivery) than we have faced the past few weeks.

Keeping Talia in! That really would give me the Shultz.

Rocco Jones
02-08-2015, 09:33 PM
If Wood is out, I would use the opportunity to bring in Zaine Cordy or Roarke Smith. Both to not play on talls.

Rocco Jones
02-08-2015, 09:35 PM
Can we elevate a rookie? Clay and Libba are out. They also let you elevate an additional rookie half way through the year don't they?

bornadog
02-08-2015, 09:36 PM
When Wood took one of his marks I saw him clutch his thigh, then after the game he was hobbling a bit. Could be nothing, but we will find out tomorrow.

LostDoggy
02-08-2015, 09:44 PM
Hamling, Hrovat, Boyd

Dale, Prudden, Redpath

Nailed my changes bt but bevo works in mysterious ways.

Is I was thinking short term then I would have Minson for Campbell but Tom is getting better so he stays.

LostDoggy
02-08-2015, 09:49 PM
VFL watchers, who is more worthy for a recall, the rat or honey?

Nuggety Back Pocket
02-08-2015, 10:03 PM

Hrovat was better over 4 quarters. Honeychurch was excellent early. If an opportunity arose both would be worthy to be elevated. Jong again pushed for promotion in another good display.

GVGjr
02-08-2015, 10:04 PM
Hrovat was better over 4 quarters. Honeychurch was excellent early. If an opportunity arose both would be worthy to be elevated. Jong again pushed for promotion in another good display.

Agree with that. All 3 are in the right sort of form

westbulldog
02-08-2015, 10:05 PM
Hamling for Prudden

I would not even consider dropping Redpath who I thought was ok today.

Nuggety Back Pocket
02-08-2015, 10:21 PM
Hamling for Dale.
Tom Boyd for Redpath.
We need a second tall defender. Talia was better today but needs support.
Boyd will be better served in the seniors and has more upside than Redpath. Also Boyd is better as a second string ruck man to Campbell who can go forward and kick goals. Dale needs game time and will gain it with Footscray in the VFL.

LostDoggy
02-08-2015, 10:38 PM
Agree with that. All 3 are in the right sort of form

If you had to pick one G?

Rocco Jones
02-08-2015, 10:40 PM

I don't think we will bring either back in. Both have only had a couple of games back post injury and have been in and out of VFL games they have played in. Playing well at the level but don't think they are playing well rounded/consistent games. I would have Jong ahead of them both as he can offer something in the engine room.

GVGjr
02-08-2015, 10:41 PM
If you had to pick one G?

I went with Jong in my selections mainly because our little blokes are performing and Jong is taller. Hrovat should be right in the mix as well. I'd wait another week for Honeychurch if pressed.

LostDoggy
02-08-2015, 10:48 PM
Roughy or Roberts are yet to be mentioned. Would both need to come back through the VFL? Or would both be auto inclusions if right to go?

If Wood is unavailable I would love to have atleast one of them back to replace Talia. With Hamling to replace Wood.

Jong for Dale is a must. And I'm still not sure whether to bring Boyd in or stick with Redpath.

GVGjr
02-08-2015, 10:58 PM
Roughy or Roberts are yet to be mentioned. Would both need to come back through the VFL? Or would both be auto inclusions if right to go?

It's a good question. I suspect the injury to Roughead is a bit worse than the 'hot spot' on his foot that is being reported. Roberts with 3 weeks out probably would need a week at Footscray.

If Wood is unavailable I would love to have at least one of them back to replace Talia. With Hamling to replace Wood.

Jong for Dale is a must. And I'm still not sure whether to bring Boyd in or stick with Redpath.

Hamling can switch between either the Talia or Wood role but I doubt that Roberts will jump straight back in. Nobody will replace Wood form wise but you get what I mean.

Doc26
02-08-2015, 11:08 PM
Hamling for Dale.
Tom Boyd for Redpath.
Boyd will be better served in the seniors and has more upside than Redpath. Also Boyd is better as a second string ruck man to Campbell who can go forward and kick goals. Dale needs game time and will gain it with Footscray in the VFL.

Noticed very late in the game that Campbell also hurt his left shoulder. Hopefully not too much in it but he was a bit aggravated by it and didn't get time to contest with it again. Another reason why Boyd may be preferred.

azabob
02-08-2015, 11:26 PM
I think whoever gets dropped will be extremely stiff. I would like us to continue with Prudden a bit longer. He has a bigger frame and could move into an inside midfield role if required.

bornadog
03-08-2015, 12:05 AM
I think whoever gets dropped will be extremely stiff. I would like us to continue with Prudden a bit longer. He has a bigger frame and could move into an inside midfield role if required.
I thought Prudden was ok and is getting better with each game, so would be stiff to be dropped.

Out: Dale

In: Hamling

boydogs
03-08-2015, 02:12 AM
No Change would have to be a chance again after a 14 goal win

Remi Moses
03-08-2015, 02:21 AM
I'd have Boyd in for Redpath
If wood doesn't pull up , id have Hamling in
Roberts is a week or two away, but even though Talia was decent he got caught out a few times one on one.

The Adelaide Connection
03-08-2015, 08:12 AM
When Wood took one of his marks I saw him clutch his thigh, then after the game he was hobbling a bit. Could be nothing, but we will find out tomorrow.

I hate to say it but I think Wood hurt his hamstring right on the final siren. If you watch the tape back he seems to cringe and then hit the ball in frustration. As they walked into the rooms to sing the song he was clutching it. I am fearing the worst.

boydogs
03-08-2015, 03:04 PM
As they walked into the rooms to sing the song he was clutching it. I am fearing the worst.

Saw that but he didn't dive for the ice, could have just overstretched or something

Ozza
03-08-2015, 03:21 PM
Out: Redpath, Prudden, Dale
In: Boyd, Hamling. Hrovat

Redpath unlucky - but think Boyd should come back in. Gives us a better back up ruck option against Ryder and Lobbe and stretches them further down back.

Hamling for Prudden - need to cover Ryder, Westhoff, Schulz with Talia (lucky), Hamling and Morris.

Dale has been impressive at times, but Hrovat is a better player at this stage, and gives us another midfield option.

LostDoggy
03-08-2015, 03:35 PM
My match ups for Ryder, Schulz, Westhoff would be:

Ryder - Talia if he holds his spot, or Hamling if he replaces him.
Schulz - An experienced player who takes most marks on a fast lead, rather than contested. Morris obvious match up.
Westhoff (for mine, their most dangerous player) - Plays essentially as a tall wingman with a huge tank that can hurt oppositions deep in attacking and defensive 50s. He is not a player who can be stopped by 1 player, but can be exposed defensively. I would play Grant on him when he is midfield/defensive and Wood or Prudden when he goes forward.

always right
03-08-2015, 03:40 PM
My match ups for Ryder, Schulz, Westhoff would be:

Ryder - Talia if he holds his spot, or Hamling if he replaces him.
Schulz - An experienced player who takes most marks on a fast lead, rather than contested. Morris obvious match up.
Westhoff (for mine, their most dangerous player) - Plays essentially as a tall wingman with a huge tank that can hurt oppositions deep in attacking and defensive 50s. He is not a player who can be stopped by 1 player, but can be exposed defensively. I would play Grant on him when he is midfield/defensive and Wood or Prudden when he goes forward.

Agree with this. Hamling needs another run with Footscray and Roughy and Roberts will also need a run when they are ready to come back in. Westoff requires a running player, not a tall. Morris and Talia for Shulz and Lobber/Ryder are the logical matchups.

lemmon
03-08-2015, 03:45 PM
If Wood and Campbell are cleared I'd be going:

Out-
Prudden- Stiff but I think we look small down there, it has been noticeable how many times Biggs has been the man matching up on a key forward, hasn't hurt us yet but we haven't been under sustained attack
Dale- Tough after just playing 20 minutes but is realistically competing with Caleb for a spot and I think we're playing one genuine mid short. Has exceeded all expectations with how many games he's played but is still a bit off the pace that will only heat up as we head into finals

In-
Hamling- Slots into Prudden's spot with his versatility, I'm happy with him on anyone to be honest
Jong- Seemed to be finally getting there for Footscray, one of the few big bodied mids still standing

I'd like to get Boyd in there somewhere and think our structure is at its best with him playing deep and Redpath up the ground but I don't see anyone else to drop. I rated Redpath's game more than most, missed some chances but his mobility was great, got up the ground and smacked into bodies. Would be stiff to be out

always right
03-08-2015, 04:11 PM
I'm a Redpath fan. Only a matter of time before he gets rewarded for his hard work. Strangely enough it's been his kicking for goal that's let him down...something most have down as one of his strengths.

Mofra
03-08-2015, 05:07 PM
Out: Redpath, Dale
In: Boyd, Hamilton

Time to give Declan his chance, decent VFL form
Boyd gives us a get-out kick against a better defence than Essendon's

Hamling for Wood if injury forces him out.

Twodogs
03-08-2015, 09:40 PM
Declan Hamilton was really good on Saturday and is a very clever player, the Jarman (more Darren) genes show. I'd like to see him in for Dale and Boyd for Redpath although I'd like to give the Boyd/Redpath double act another go this year and I don't think that Redpath is far away from a few goals.

JohnGentStand
03-08-2015, 10:21 PM
In Boyd
Out Dale

Job done. Rest easy Bevo, I've got this.

Doc26
03-08-2015, 10:29 PM
Out: Redpath, Dale
In: Boyd, Hamilton

Time to give Declan his chance, decent VFL form
Boyd gives us a get-out kick against a better defence than Essendon's

Hamling for Wood if injury forces him out.

Declan Hamilton was really good on Saturday and is a very clever player, the Jarman (more Darren) genes show. I'd like to see him in for Dale and Boyd for Redpath although I'd like to give the Boyd/Redpath double act another go this year and I don't think that Redpath is far away from a few goals.

I to am a fan of Declan and keen to see him get a chance. However this week I'd have Hrovat ahead of him for Bailey, preferring him to the likely matchup in Pittard who offers Port a dangerous, quick rebounding option. We must bring our strong defensive pressure up forward this week.

stefoid
03-08-2015, 11:16 PM
Maybe we should play a few more without Boyd to practice better spotting up of targets in the F50?

bornadog
03-08-2015, 11:53 PM
No new injuries and Roughead and Roberts to be tested this week.

Doc26
04-08-2015, 12:34 AM
No new injuries and Roughead and Roberts to be tested this week.

Or at least none that we're owning up to this early in the week.

The more that I've viewed the Wood incident, with seconds remaining, the more I believe that he might've sustained a minor cork in the final marking contest with Langford. Campbell for mine looks like he's carrying a suspect left shoulder.

bornadog
04-08-2015, 09:55 AM

The more that I've viewed the Wood incident, with seconds remaining, the more I believe that he might've sustained a minor cork in the final marking contest with Langford. Campbell for mine looks like he's carrying a suspect left shoulder.

Looked like that to me as well. Maybe they just want to see how he pulls up.

BornInDroopSt'54
04-08-2015, 12:44 PM

A minor cork wouldn't rule him out would it?

Doc26
04-08-2015, 02:30 PM
A minor cork wouldn't rule him out would it?

Assuming it was a cork, it just depends on the severity e.g extent of bleeding and swelling.
Can be quite variable. A minor cork could certainly see him rested for a week but is no doubt a better outcome than one of Easton's hamstrings going again.

Sam Mitchell's knee into Fyfe's quad 3 weeks back looked nasty, as what he did to Tex Walker and Griffen previously, although he did come up to play the following week but then was subsequently rested last weekend obviously still struggling from the effects of it.

LostDoggy
04-08-2015, 03:22 PM
Hamling for Dale.
Tom Boyd for Redpath.

I'd actually start with Boyd in the ruck, Campbell up forward. I'm not saying this would continue all game but with our mid-sized to small forwards presenting some unpredictability and headaches up front, and it being particularly highlighted this week, starting Boyd in the ruck may throw the Port coaching panel somewhat. If it's not working by quarter time, switch it up.

LostDoggy
04-08-2015, 03:31 PM
I'd actually start with Boyd in the ruck, Campbell up forward. I'm not saying this would continue all game but with our mid-sized to small forwards presenting some unpredictability and headaches up front, and it being particularly highlighted this week, starting Boyd in the ruck may throw the Port coaching panel somewhat. If it's not working by quarter time, switch it up.

I like this idea. 2 other benefits:

- Gives Boyd the opportunity to get a couple of early touches and a bit of confidence on his return. I'd love to see him lay a big tackle or 2 early.
- If Campbell is a bit proppy, protecting him from the heavy ruck collisions early in the game can only be beneficial.

Axe Man
04-08-2015, 03:32 PM
Assuming it was a cork, it just depends on the severity e.g extent of bleeding and swelling.
Can be quite variable. A minor cork could certainly see him rested for a week but is no doubt a better outcome than one of Easton's hamstrings going again.

Sam Mitchell's knee into Fyfe's quad 3 weeks back looked nasty, as what he did to Tex Walker and Griffen previously, although he did come up to play the following week but then was subsequently rested last weekend obviously still struggling from the effects of it.

Fyfe is out with a groin injury, not as a result of the cork, although it certainly did hinder him the following week.

Dry Rot
04-08-2015, 07:41 PM
No Wines or Monfries for Port

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-08-04/in-the-mix-round-19

F'scary
04-08-2015, 08:50 PM

Sounds like McDonalds just threw their new menu out.

hujsh
04-08-2015, 10:16 PM

Sounds like McDonalds just threw their new menu out.

French Mcdonalds. "My children need Wines"

kruder
04-08-2015, 11:33 PM
Easy one this week

In
Jong and Hamling

Out

Dale and Prudden

The hard part will be picking a sub!

always right
05-08-2015, 12:18 AM
If it goes true to form, there will be changes this week but none that we have predicted.

Ghost Dog
05-08-2015, 12:26 AM
Wines out is massive. Should give our young mids a good boost.

Hotdog60
06-08-2015, 07:26 PM
In: Sam Darley, Lin Jong

Out: Josh Prudden (General Soreness), Robert Murphy (General Soreness)

soupman
06-08-2015, 07:27 PM
Darley and Jong both in.

Murphy and Prudden both out with general soreness.

Wines out for Impey for Port.

Our emergencies Hamling, Boyd and Hrovat

comrade
06-08-2015, 07:34 PM
Thought Darley was pretty average in the half or so he played at Footscray last week.

F'scary
06-08-2015, 07:35 PM
Hmmm, no Captain Bob. That is about 24 silky disposals and heaps of run and carry that have to be found elsewhere. Tall order.

F'scary
06-08-2015, 07:36 PM
Hmmm, no Captain Bob. That is about 24 silky disposals and heaps of run and carry that have to be found elsewhere. Tall order.

Basically, it is as big a loss at least as Wines is for them.

azabob
06-08-2015, 07:37 PM
Gee, we are short down back again. Quick deck and Port have 3 key forwards, all who can take a mark and can kick goals.

Cyberdoggie
06-08-2015, 07:43 PM
Couple of issues:

Talia on who? Shultz and Westhoff are far too quick and athletic for him, Hamling would of been much better choice if he was ok for selection.

Who's going to captain for Bob? Roughead was the VC previously but he's out as well, who stands up now? a young player or Boyd perhaps?

Rocket Science
06-08-2015, 07:48 PM
Positionally at least, with Murph sidelined no Hamling's something of a head scratcher.

Bulldog4life
06-08-2015, 07:50 PM
Couple of issues:

Talia on who? Shultz and Westhoff are far too quick and athletic for him, f he was ok for selection.Hamling would of been much better choice i

Who's going to captain for Bob? Roughead was the VC previously but he's out as well, who stands up now? a young player or Boyd perhaps?

He is an emergency
Might be a late change

LostDoggy
06-08-2015, 07:53 PM
Ryder will spend a lot of time forward, so Talia should take him. Morris to Schultz. Probably Wood to Westhoff when he goes forward.

Boyd is safe option as Cap. I'd love to see Picken.

Any chance of an emergency getting a run?

Bulldog4life
06-08-2015, 07:59 PM
Let's hope that Wood is 100%

Bulldog4life
06-08-2015, 08:06 PM
ROUND 19 – Western Bulldogs v Port Adelaide
Saturday 8 August, 2:10pm
Venue: Etihad Stadium

Full back D Morris M Talia M Boyd
Half back S Darley E Wood J Johannisen
Centreline M Bontempelli J Macrae S Biggs
Half forward L Dahlhaus T Dickson S Crameri
Full forward L Hunter J Redpath J Stringer
Followers T Campbell M Wallis L Picken
Interchange J Grant B Dale C Daniel
L Jong
Emergencies N Hrovat T Boyd J Hamling
In: S Darley, L Jong

Out: R Murphy (general soreness), J Prudden (general soreness)

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2015-08-06/darley-in-jong-returns

LostDoggy
06-08-2015, 08:09 PM
This game will be the sternest test of our team defence for some time. Aside from those mentioned, Wyngard is arguably the form forward of the comp right now (he's kicked 3 or more in each of the last 6 weeks) and Gray is a gun as well when forward.

Port have kicked 18, 20 & 17 last 3 weeks and 16 against us not long ago.

LostDoggy
06-08-2015, 08:26 PM
Mitch as Capt. this week.
A big maybe but the MC might play Darley in Bobby's role to see what he's got to offer and if he can step up to the challenge.

The Bulldogs Bite
06-08-2015, 08:30 PM
I've said it for the last two weeks and been wrong, but maybe our out's will catch up with us this week - especially if Port bring their recent form. I'm really surprised we didn't bring in Hamling.

A lot depends on our midfield to get the job done again. Our forwards look dangerous, but our mids need to help our defense as they've done remarkably for the last two weeks. Otherwise we're in trouble IMO.

The Bulldogs Bite
06-08-2015, 08:37 PM
Jong shapes as a very important inclusion - if he can display his early season form it'll be a huge help for our mids in denying the Port forwards.

LostDoggy
06-08-2015, 08:41 PM
This may seem crazy, but if we are looking for somebody to directly replace Murph's role in the backline, I'd love to see Jarrad Grant get a crack (although Picken is probably a safer option). Grant's extra height could be useful, he has the running power, good hands and the creative field disposal. The role probably gets him involved in more plays as well which may really be beneficial for him mentally.

LostDoggy
06-08-2015, 08:54 PM
This may seem crazy, but if we are looking for somebody to directly replace Murph's role in the backline, I'd love to see Jarrad Grant get a crack (although Picken is probably a safer option). Grant's extra height could be useful, he has the running power, good hands and the creative field disposal. The role probably gets him involved in more plays as well which may really be beneficial for him mentally.

Beat me to it PP ;)
Was thinking the same thing straight after I posted about Darley playing Murph's role.
What was I thinking?! :confused:

LostDoggy
06-08-2015, 08:57 PM
Would love to see Spindle given a crack off half back.

LostDoggy
06-08-2015, 09:03 PM
Cheers Redders. I love the JG option, but it is high risk. I'm not sure he always has Murph's composure under pressure.

The Underdog
To be fair Murphy has been playing forward a bit in the past couple of weeks so I'm not sure the defensive run isn't semi covered by Boyd, JJ and Biggs. Again I'm massively scared of our defensive structure against a strong forward line (one that might actually try this week). Back to needing superhuman efforts from Dale and Easton to get by. Not sure where Fletch is at but I'll feel much better when he's back.
It's also a scientifically proven fact that football is 17% less enjoyable to watch when Bob isn't playing so that sucks.

Nuggety Back Pocket
You would have to think that Hamling would come in given the height of Port's forward line.
Jong will be a good inclusion in the midfield.
Murphy's rebound from defence is a huge loss and his captaincy will be sorely missed.

jeemak
06-08-2015, 09:05 PM
I prefer him to continue to work hard in the position we've been using him in recently. He needs to stay involved in the contest as often as he can, use his run more and ensure he's tackling regularly.

If he can prove himself to be a reliable runner over time then sure, let's give him a try in a back half defensive and creative role. For now, let's let him get some continuity and consistency for the first time in his career since 2010.

1eyedog
06-08-2015, 09:19 PM
C'mon Bevo we want to see Tom Boyd play!

Torpedo
06-08-2015, 09:20 PM
Just make sure Dickson is gliding past, ready for a handball if Jarrad is lining up for a shot at goal. Please. Its scientifically proven that watching football is 25% more enjoyable if Jarrad stays beyond the forward 50 metre arc.

The Underdog
06-08-2015, 09:25 PM
Just make sure Dickson is gliding past, ready for a handball if Jarrad is lining up for a shot at goal. Please. Its scientifically proven that watching football is 25% more enjoyable if Jarrad stays beyond the forward 50 metre arc.

#standbyjarrad

comrade
06-08-2015, 09:26 PM
#standbyjarrad

#runbyjarrad

dog town
06-08-2015, 10:17 PM
I think we can cover their talls with the way we play but as Morris etc play taller to cover the talls Wingard becomes a problem. If we had Fletcher, Hamling or Roughhead then Morris could go to Wingard but now one of our attacking backs is going to have to do it.

boydogs
06-08-2015, 11:08 PM
If we had Fletcher, Hamling or Roughhead then Morris could go to Wingard but now one of our attacking backs is going to have to do it.

I like JJ on Wingard

ReLoad
07-08-2015, 12:14 AM
One of the most inexperienced teams we have seen in a very long time, I think thier forwards will be way too good.

Dry Rot
07-08-2015, 02:03 AM
With Bob out, who is captain?

jeemak
07-08-2015, 02:07 AM
With Bob out, who is captain?

You'd think either Boyd, Wood, Morris, Wallis or Dickson.

I'd go with Wallis.

Remi Moses
07-08-2015, 04:26 AM
Bit surprised Hamling didn't come in for defensive cover.
Possibly Dale being unlucky .
Midfield is where it will be won, and Wines murdered us earlier in the year.

Hotdog60
07-08-2015, 06:25 AM
Wally may get a sniff as Captain, if not Moz has stood in the past.
Bob has been playing out of the men's department over the last few weeks so their might not be to much loss in that area.
The loss will be his skill and leadership. Maybe the Bont to float back to help out, not so much defensive but more a go to and user.

Rance Fan
07-08-2015, 10:00 AM
Need to shutdown Wingard. Hope Picken goes to him.

Ghost Dog
07-08-2015, 10:36 AM
Hawthorn canned carton and then lost the next week. Hope bruise free footy one week doesn't affect us the next.
I'd have Bont down back, and Stringer into the midfield for patches.
Bont has a huge kick and the accuracy, and Stringer adds a bit of physicality. Picken to Wingard in the first half to wear him down a bit, leaving Jj free. Then rotate, wear him down.

Cyberdoggie
07-08-2015, 10:46 AM
I think we have made more of a focus to field a team that has plenty of run and carry in the 2 weeks.
We are backing our running skilled players off half back to set up play and outgun the opposition.

This is also how port play at their best as well, and the team we have selected seems to designed for that purpose.
I'm tipping Jong to be sub and come on a little earlier than 3/4 time for Dale to add that burst speed and finish the game off.

We are almost conceding that they will be taller than us down back but if we get first use that won't matter and will work to our advantage.

Should be a ripper game though.

Mantis
07-08-2015, 11:07 AM
Need to shutdown Wingard. Hope Picken goes to him.

Why would Picken go to him?

He hasn't played in defence all year.

always right
07-08-2015, 12:24 PM
Can't recall Picken playing a lockdown role this year at all. Why start this week? We've played team defence all season and don't expect this week to be any different. Wingard will have different players at different times.

Happy Days
07-08-2015, 01:50 PM
JJ out with soreness too, Hamling into the 22

Mofra
07-08-2015, 02:01 PM
JJ out with soreness too, Hamling into the 22
Shit with Murph & JJ out that could really hurt our run.
Biggs will need to play well, Talia + Moz + Hamling hopefully frees Wood up to play more of a rebounder's role too

LostDoggy
07-08-2015, 02:15 PM
Gee both Murph and JJ out is a blow, so much run lost. Will be interesting to see what structural adjustments are made. I think both forward lines are well placed to be dominant here, it will be a question of who gets the better supply.

whythelongface
07-08-2015, 02:35 PM
Some big outs with Bob and JJ. Glad that Hamling is back (though only through JJ's omission), but not to sure about Darley. Then again most of the selections this year have been either been bold or astute or a bit of both. At least this week gives us a chance to see where Darley is at.

The Bulldogs Bite
07-08-2015, 02:40 PM
Damn.

Well, it's a good opportunity for Darley especially, as well as Biggs. Looking forward to the challenge.

The Pie Man
07-08-2015, 02:50 PM
While I wince at JJ's absence, I'm relieved Hamling's in. As a few have mentioned, Darley needs a big game. I don't believe he can defend 1 on 1 well at all but is a nice user. Can VFL watchers advise if his defensive game has improved this year?

EDIT - also don't mind getting some rest into some key guys pre-September...as long as we win in the meantime!

LostDoggy
07-08-2015, 03:14 PM
I get the need to give players a freshen up but, if that's what this is, it's a very odd choice to give it to Bob & JJ the same week. Particularly given good opposition with a potent small/medium forward line. Surely one of them could've had a freshen up last week?
I'm very worried about the potential lack of run from our back half.

Mofra
07-08-2015, 03:23 PM
While I wince at JJ's absence, I'm relieved Hamling's in. As a few have mentioned, Darley needs a big game. I don't believe he can defend 1 on 1 well at all but is a nice user. Can VFL watchers advise if his defensive game has improved this year?
Did ok on Rioli in the VFL GF - the club aren't afraid to set him some big tasks.
Excellent kick over short distances, they say he's an excellent long kick as well but I've rarely seen it in games

Mantis
07-08-2015, 04:13 PM
I get the need to give players a freshen up but, if that's what this is, it's a very odd choice to give it to Bob & JJ the same week. Particularly given good opposition with a potent small/medium forward line. Surely one of them could've had a freshen up last week?

Maybe the issue only arose this week?

Axe Man
07-08-2015, 04:37 PM
Matthew Boyd will be the Captain this week.

The Bulldogs Bite
07-08-2015, 05:32 PM
Maybe the issue only arose this week?

Yep - no way we selectively decided to rest both on the same weekend. The club would have known Port provide a bigger challenge than Essendon. I like that Beveridge takes no risks - it rarely pays off and it gives somebody who is 100% an opportunity.

If ever a game was decided on midfield dominance, this would be it. Both defenses look vulnerable to potent attacks.

azabob
07-08-2015, 07:10 PM
I'm very worried about the potential lack of run from our back half.

JJ has hamstring tightness.

Mantis
07-08-2015, 07:39 PM
If ever a game was decided on midfield dominance, this would be it. Both defenses look vulnerable to potent attacks.

Yep.. It's the likes of Macrae, Wallis, Picken, Bont, Dahl & Campbell vs Boak, Hartlett, Gray, Ebert & Lobbe.. If we win that battle, it's more likely than not that we win the game.

At the start of the year if you told me that we would be playing Port with 5 or 6 first 22 players out and we were an even money chance I would have told you to get off the crack.. But we are.. the worlds gone mad.

Go_Dogs
07-08-2015, 07:42 PM
Yep.. It's the likes of Macrae, Wallis, Picken, Bont, Dahl & Campbell vs Boak, Hartlett, Gray, Ebert & Lobbe.. If we win that battle, it's more likely than not that we win the game.

At the start of the year if you told me that we would be playing Port with 5 or 6 first 22 players out and we were an even money chance I would have told you to get off the crack.. But we are.. the worlds gone mad.

I don't know if I'd have us at even money.

For whatever reason, Port have had a down year but they have a quality side and as a chance to still play finals, expecting a very challenging game.

bornadog
07-08-2015, 07:51 PM
I don't know if I'd have us at even money.

For whatever reason, Port have had a down year but they have a quality side and as a chance to still play finals, expecting a very challenging game.
Even money, 50 50 could go either way.

F'scary
07-08-2015, 08:02 PM
Even money, 50 50 could go either way.

this is like the Collingwood game: we are playing a side whose season is on the line, they could still make the finals, they just have to win 4 of their last 5 games, best case scenario for them.

They will throw everthing at us, including the kitchen sink.

LostDoggy
07-08-2015, 08:53 PM
No doubt Port are a potent attacking force, but they played Essendon at Etihad 2 weeks ago and conceded 116. Last week we played Essendon at Etihad and conceded 40.

Should be a ripping game but we should go in confident.

Eastdog
07-08-2015, 09:40 PM
ROUND 19 – Western Bulldogs v Port Adelaide
Saturday 8 August, 2:10pm
Venue: Etihad Stadium

Full back D Morris M Talia M Boyd
Half back S Darley E Wood J Johannisen
Centreline M Bontempelli J Macrae S Biggs
Half forward L Dahlhaus T Dickson S Crameri
Full forward L Hunter J Redpath J Stringer
Followers T Campbell M Wallis L Picken
Interchange J Grant B Dale C Daniel
L Jong
Emergencies N Hrovat T Boyd J Hamling
In: S Darley, L Jong

Out: R Murphy (general soreness), J Prudden (general soreness)

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2015-08-06/darley-in-jong-returns

Good to see Lin Jong back in the team. Murph is a big out - will miss his influence but in saying all that we still have plenty of quality on the park.

It will be a tough game as Port have underachieved this year and are far from a weak side.

Eastdog
07-08-2015, 09:41 PM
JJ has hamstring tightness.

Will miss his influence as well. I thought he was great last week.

Eastdog
07-08-2015, 10:02 PM
Wood and Talia will need to step up tomorrow.