PDA

View Full Version : What are the best pubs in the west to watch AFL?

Webby
01-08-2015, 12:04 PM
For reasons i won't go into, i won't go to Essendon away games.

Therefore I'm going with mates to a pub after the ressies tomorrow to watch the seniors. Normally I'd go to the Vic Harts in Footscray, but I'm looking for something different tomorrow.

Can anyine provide a heads up on the best pubs in the west (say (Willy-Sunshine-Maribyrnong) to watch live AFL footy?

Bulldog4life
01-08-2015, 12:53 PM
http://www.foxsports.com.au/foxsportsvenues/venue-finder#fox-sports/at/

This might help you Webby. To be sure maybe follow up with a phone call as we are on Fox 503 tomorrow not the main Fox footy channel 504.

Smads57
01-08-2015, 02:37 PM
Try the Spottiswoode Hotel in Hudsons Rd in Spotswood....just a drive down Williamstown Rd

Webby
01-08-2015, 02:50 PM
Try the Spottiswoode Hotel in Hudsons Rd in Spotswood....just a drive down Williamstown Rd

Actually come to think of it, i watched the Aus Pak test series there last year. Do they definitely have Foxtel?

Smads57
01-08-2015, 02:57 PM
They do according to Bulldog4life's web link.

Eastdog
01-08-2015, 02:57 PM
Will the Barkers cafe at Whitten Oval show the game live. I think thats just for when we play interstate.

Twodogs
01-08-2015, 03:38 PM

Actually come to think of it, i watched the Aus Pak test series there last year. Do they definitely have Foxtel?

A mate of mine mentioned it to me the other day for unofficial catch ups after Footscray home games so they must have Foxtel.

Dancin' Douggy
01-08-2015, 06:02 PM
Do not............i repeat. Do not go to the newmarket tavern. Awful awful awful place.

Bulldog4life
01-08-2015, 06:04 PM
Do not............i repeat. Do not go to the newmarket tavern. Awful awful awful place.

Sounds like you don't like it Douggy;)

Eastdog
01-08-2015, 06:09 PM
https://plus.google.com/115778063762742457316/about?gl=us&hl=en

One reviewer on google plus seemed to say it was good.

Dancin' Douggy
01-08-2015, 06:30 PM
https://plus.google.com/115778063762742457316/about?gl=us&hl=en

One reviewer on google plus seemed to say it was good.

It's hideous.

BulldogBelle
01-08-2015, 07:11 PM
Go to the Altona Sports Club in Altona Road Seaholme.

Rocket Science
01-08-2015, 07:18 PM
Must say, the front bar at the refurbed Plough in Barkly Street's a tidy option.

Webby
01-08-2015, 07:39 PM
Must say, the front bar at the refurbed Plough in Barkly Street's a tidy option.

It is, but only for free to air games. No Foxtel.

Webby
01-08-2015, 07:42 PM
Actually, i know the Newmarket Tavern. Gotta agree. Stale 90's pokies venue. Bumped into a bloke i went to school with the only time i went there. Clearly drugs had gotten hold of him and he was far from the only junkie in the place!

azabob
01-08-2015, 07:47 PM
It is, but only for free to air games. No Foxtel.

We are on free to air tomorrow.

Bulldog4life
01-08-2015, 07:51 PM
We are on free to air tomorrow.

Delayed isn't it?

Eastdog
01-08-2015, 07:56 PM
Live tomorrow on 7 from 3:20pm. So say if you wanted to go straight home Webby from the VFL you could watch it at home.

Bulldog4life
01-08-2015, 08:01 PM
Live tomorrow on 7 from 3:20pm. So say if you wanted to go straight home Webby from the VFL you could watch it at home.

Thanks East I didn't know that I am so used to 7 showing us on delayed telecast

F'scary
01-08-2015, 08:16 PM

Come on, isn't it a great experience to watch the game with the doodle-diddle-doodle-diddle pokie machine music drowning out the commentary?

Eastdog
01-08-2015, 08:32 PM
Thanks East I didn't know that I am so used to 7 showing us on delayed telecast

No worries B4L. Yeah the 3:20pm game on Sunday whether its in Victoria or interstate is shown live. 1:10pm and 4:40pm are the Foxtel games.

Dancin' Douggy
01-08-2015, 08:33 PM
Come on, isn't it a great experience to watch the game with the doodle-diddle-doodle-diddle pokie machine music drowning out the commentary?

And to top off the fun, they keep changing the footy to different screens around the room, so you have to keep getting up and finding the game again and resettling in another spot. There must be a secret tunnel to get in because I live in Flemington, and I never see the subterranean creatures inside the joint out on the street........ever.

Twodogs
01-08-2015, 10:06 PM

That's not necessarily a bad thing. On the whole I'm happier not hearing the commentary.

Remi Moses
01-08-2015, 10:49 PM
This question should be are there any pubs still in the west ?
Development central around the area !!

merantau
01-08-2015, 11:35 PM
The Deer Park, the Braybrook, the Derrimut, the Ashley, the Tottenham (gone) the Powell, the Pioneer (gone), the Footscray (?), the Exchange, Con Curtain's (the Courthouse?) the Barkly (gone), the Royal, Healy's Point (gone), the Buckingham, Hart's, the Plough, the Rising Sun (gone), the Guiding Star, there's another pub in Footscray Rd on the opposite side to the Exchange. I reckon there's probably a few blues in this list - it's been a while since I had a drink in the west.

Twodogs
01-08-2015, 11:48 PM
The Powell. The Rev, the Station, The Mona Castle, that one on the corner of Nicholson street and Buckley st opposite VU where the students used to drink.

Twodogs
01-08-2015, 11:50 PM
The Belgravia. That was it!

The Rudyard Kipling.

merantau
02-08-2015, 01:18 AM
The Powell. The Rev, the Station, The Mona Castle, that one on the corner of Nicholson street and Buckley st opposite VU where the students used to drink.
My old man always used to call that Con Curtain's. So its correct name is the Belgravia. The Mona Castle - know the name but not the location. Is the Albert still operating?

merantau
02-08-2015, 01:25 AM
Re the Derrimut, it was widely believed that during WW2, when Phillip Prince of Greece spent his shore leave at the Derrimut, he fathered a child to the daughter of the licencee. I heard this rumour when I was a kid and many old timers I've met since also heard the story.

Twodogs
02-08-2015, 01:49 AM
My old man always used to call that Con Curtain's. So its correct name is the Belgravia. The Mona Castle - know the name but not the location. Is the Albert still operating?

The mona Castle is in Seddon strictly speaking but pretty close to Footscray. It's on the corner of North street and Walter(?) street not far from the corner of Charles and Victoria steets.

The Albert is now apartments because if there is one thing we really need more of around here it's apartments.

Re the Derrimut, it was widely believed that during WW2, when Phillip Prince of Greece spent his shore leave at the Derrimut, he fathered a child to the daughter of the licencee. I heard this rumour when I was a kid and many old timers I've met since also heard the story.

I read another post about that a couple of months ago so I asked my mum about the Derrimut hotel. She said "the pub Prince Phillip was staying at and knocked up the publican's daughter during the war?" so you might be onto something.

merantau
02-08-2015, 10:59 AM
"I read another post about that a couple of months ago so I asked my mum about the Derrimut hotel. She said "the pub Prince Phillip was staying at and knocked up the publican's daughter during the war?" so you might be onto something."

I've asked old timers from the west: "Did you ever hear that story about Prince Phillip ..." and they've jumped in with the answer before I can even finish the question!"

Webby
02-08-2015, 10:37 PM
Well, I have a verdict - although I could've watched the game in my mother-in-law's living room and still had the time of my life, I ended up at the Altona Sports Club.

Partisan crowd & fantastic. Thumbs down on the Spotiswoode. Good pub, but they had a band who'd set up their lighting in front of one of the TV screens, whilst the other was in the bistro area which was packed with families doing Sunday lunch. Plus no sound. - obviously. Mates and I jumped on next available train with Prince Alfred in Willy in mind. As we passed by the Mobil Refinery, we realised my mate had put us on a Werribee Train... Uh ooh!!! We had the "ok fk" moment before we noticed the Altona Sports Club just near Seaholme Station. An absolute God send!

Don't need to tell anyone here that we smashed the Jabbers and obviously had a ball. Great set up, one-eyed Dogs crowd, good audio, quality large HD screen and even one in the beer garden. Only knock was a limited CUB-centric beer list.

Left the venue very happy prior to a late-comer mate driving us to the Prince Alfred for a post-match toast. Just out of curiosity. Gem of a pub! Great value meals and three TV's. No volume, but it was GWS v Freo by that stage.

All in all, Altona Sports Club was great value. $3 pots (?) and great infrastructure. Prince Alfred has huge character, great food and beer and well equipped with screens. Spotiswoode has two reasonable sized screens, but is no good for Sunday arvos.

Huge day! Beat the enemy twice (!!!) and Leyland Brothered all over the west.

BTW, mate and I had a chat with an old bloke on the Foots-Spotty train who told us he played for the Dogs under EJ in '58. Said he only played ressies when Charlie was coach in '57. He was a bit hard of hearing, but his wife was as sharp as a tack. All in all, a brilliant day In God's country south of the Maribyrnong!

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Eastdog
26-07-2022, 11:07 PM
Will probably watch the game this Saturday at home but might change my mind and head to an inner west pub.

Been to several pubs now in the inner west and wanted to know the best pub at this current time there to watch the Doggies live and loud.

Watched some Dogs games at the Victoria Hotel in Footscray corner of Victoria st and Raleigh st this season. The Mona Castle in Seddon possibly could be another option or the Railway Hotel in Yarraville which has been refurbished.

EasternWest
26-07-2022, 11:19 PM
Will probably watch the game this Saturday at home but might change my mind and head to an inner west pub.

Been to several pubs now in the inner west and wanted to know the best pub at this current time there to watch the Doggies live and loud.

Watched some Dogs games at the Victoria Hotel in Footscray corner of Victoria st and Raleigh st this season. The Mona Castle in Seddon possibly could be another option or the Railway Hotel in Yarraville which has been refurbished.

Happy Days says he'll meet you at the Yarraville Nets.