PDA

View Full Version : Time to get our 'tribal' on. Now.

bulldogtragic
05-08-2015, 11:36 PM
We are closely following the year of Port Adelaide. Late in the year their members and fans started turning up in major numbers to get tribal again. The buzz in created for the players was the adrenalin rush of if porportions, and you could see the tribal and frenetic support was getting them into winning positions and willed them deep into September.

It's time to invest like their people that. The VFL Grand Final was bloody tribal. The roar and tribal outcries lifted our players a gear and from a members perspective, made for an amazing and nearly spiritual life experience. We can do it, when we want.

So if you want to be a part of a tribal experience, and if you want to use that to create the adrenalin rush for our players to win finals and create momentum. Then it's time get to the footy and build momentum. Port Adelaide's amazing run showed how powerful a large and passionate tribal crowd can be on winning.

"If we come, they will build it". BT.

SonofScray
06-08-2015, 12:24 AM
Can I make a suggestion?

Get your sewing machine out, get to Spotlight and start making some banners to hang over the fence.644
Start decking your area out in RW&B. Get your kids to do it if the years have beaten it out of you. Football is ours, the Club is ours and the space is ours to take.

bornadog
06-08-2015, 09:57 AM
Massive test this week.

Saturday 2.10pm game, playing great footy, sitting 5th on the ladder.

How many supporters will be there? I want to see no less than 30k

always right
06-08-2015, 10:22 AM
Totally agree........although there will be a few less from our extended family. Bloody netball finals.:mad:

Twodogs
06-08-2015, 10:22 AM
Massive test this week.

I'm supposed to be picking my kids up at the airport at 5.35. I might be running a bit late.

azabob
06-08-2015, 11:07 AM
Massive test this week.

Being against an interstate club with a poor Melbourne supporter base, 30k would be a huge effort. I think if we get 23k plus we would be happy.

bornadog
06-08-2015, 11:47 AM
Being against an interstate club with a poor Melbourne supporter base, 30k would be a huge effort. I think if we get 23k plus we would be happy.

We have almost 36k members, plus non members.

Happy Days
06-08-2015, 11:48 AM
Massive test this week.

I have a game of footy to lose by 150 at the same time unfortunately.

bornadog
06-08-2015, 11:48 AM
I'm supposed to be picking my kids up at the airport at 5.35. I might be running a bit late.

Plenty of time.:D

Twodogs
06-08-2015, 01:49 PM
Plenty of time.:D

Plenty of time to organise someone else to do it maybe... ;)

LostDoggy
06-08-2015, 03:31 PM
Would love to be there but have kids sport coaching duties. I think a crowd of around 25K would be a good outcome being against an interstate club.

Bulldog Joe
06-08-2015, 03:50 PM
I've only missed 2 games all year, but unfortunately this week I have a prior engagement.

Intending to be at the rest apart from Brisbane and then will be away for the prelim. Already organised to be at the GF.

The Underdog
06-08-2015, 04:44 PM
We have almost 36k members, plus non members.

Yeah but 5000 of those members are Peter Gordon :)

chef
06-08-2015, 04:56 PM
I've got two weeks off so it's my first game of the year(and I'll be back down for the Demons game too).

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
06-08-2015, 05:42 PM
Yeah but 5000 of those members are Peter Gordon :)

Only 5000?

Twodogs
06-08-2015, 06:59 PM
Only 5000?

Another 7500 are his family members.

bulldogtragic
06-08-2015, 07:17 PM
Another 7500 are his family members.

Pretty sure Slater & Gordon staff and family members have another 3,000 at least too.

bornadog
06-08-2015, 08:16 PM
And each board member 5000 so leaves about 15,000 real members

bulldogtragic
06-08-2015, 09:02 PM
And each board member 5000 so leaves about 15,000 real members

No. About 5,000 at a guess paid it forward for someone else. So that's about 8,000 real members.

Webby
06-08-2015, 09:21 PM
It's just a bit too soon at this point. What happens is, the extra 5,000 or so of local club-level footballers become freed up come September. Without footy commitments, AFL crowd numbers swell. Then you have your hangers-on who only get out of bed for finals, whilst the Medallion Club and AFL Member types front up in droves. Then there's the interstate Dogs fans who fly in. With a lot of neutral fans who tend to get on the Dogs, we have the appearance of quite a big club.

I remember in 2006, all of the above meant we appeared to outnumber Collingwood at the MCG in the Elimination Final.

bulldogtragic
06-08-2015, 09:23 PM
It's just a bit too soon at this point. What happens is, the extra 5,000 or so of local club-level footballers become freed up come September. Without footy commitments, AFL crowd numbers swell. Then you have your hangers-on who only get out of bed for finals, whilst the Medallion Club and AFL Member types front up in droves. Then there's the interstate Dogs fans who fly in. With a lot of neutral fans who tend to get on the Dogs, we have the appearance of quite a big club.

I remember in 2006, all of the above meant we appeared to outnumber Collingwood at the MCG in the Elimination Final.

Great call. That's what we need to do again.

jeemak
06-08-2015, 10:27 PM
I have a game of footy to lose by 150 at the same time unfortunately.

What a great way to spend an afternoon.

We were the worst side to play A Grade VAFA one year, man I hated rocking up for it.

SonofScray
06-08-2015, 11:15 PM

We were the worst side to play A Grade VAFA one year, man I hated rocking up for it.

I went 2 in the u18s years without winning a game, let alone getting within 100 points. When we knocked off Glenroy out of nowhere the whole Club got around us. A very emotional day. Its odd, but it is the closest to a real reaction I can imagine to The Flag That Wags.

Greystache
07-08-2015, 01:57 AM

I played a game coming back from injury in the reserves where we lost by 140, the coach took me off at 3/4 time and told me they wanted me to play in the seniors match, which we went on to lose by 160. 2 games in 1 day for a combine 300 point loss.

Great day!

jeemak
07-08-2015, 02:10 AM
SoS and GS, great pain stories.

It's like walking back into a mob bashing after taking a few hits and working your way free of it.

Twodogs
07-08-2015, 02:55 AM
I played cricket for nearly 35 years and made the finals twice. The first time was in my first year in U14s. In the end I was transferring clubs nearly every year trying to find a team that could make finals.

HOSE B ROMERO
08-08-2015, 12:12 AM
Good Lord, this is beginning to resemble the Monty Python skit 'We were so poor....'!

Okay seeing we're all in this confessional, the only two junior footy clubs i played for both folded not long after i moved on. And then when the whole Footscray thing begun unfolding in 1989, i thought 'here we go again'... :eek:

HOSE B ROMERO
08-08-2015, 12:24 AM
Great thread BT. I think regardless of what support we get at these remaining games, and its got all the potential of escallating, we all have a duty to create an atmosphere to lift the roof. Not only when we're on a roll but also when the opposition is on a roll. Let our supporters get the reputation as the 'never give up' dogs.

Webby
08-08-2015, 02:18 AM
Let our supporters get the reputation as the 'never give up' dogs.

I reckon after 61 years, we've nailed that one!

bulldogtragic
08-08-2015, 04:12 PM
Go nuts people. This doesn't happen all the time. Turn up the tribal!!!

ReLoad
08-08-2015, 04:27 PM
You know, with the exception of the MCcarney era, since 1996 we really have always played this fast attacking running game, it's the best footy to watch and as a supporter it makes for incredible moments.

In the 1980s following Tottenham, they played the beautiful game, I'll put it out there that we do too, our running and attacking is crazily awesome to watch.

It's also fair to say that it hasn't been good enough to get to the big dance, but it seriously is the passionate way we play and support our club, the beautiful game.

I bloody love it, and that's why other footy fans love watching us, channel 7 would be stupid to not give us at least 4 Friday night games.

bulldogtragic
08-08-2015, 04:30 PM
I'm spewing I've had to miss this game with a health thing. I'd be going nuts in the crowd, we need to have tribal passions and screams to spur these boys and let oppositions fear the crowd factor.

HOSE B ROMERO
09-08-2015, 03:24 PM
I have noticed after a Docklands game, the cheer squad in a circle in the walkway behind the goals singing the song and generally going off. I've been walking past, got a bit caught up in it and felt like i was going to have one of those Elwood 'i have seen the light moments'. Well worth checking out if you can.

bornadog
09-08-2015, 03:43 PM
I have noticed after a Docklands game, the cheer squad in a circle in the walkway behind the goals singing the song and generally going off. I've been walking past, got a bit caught up in it and felt like i was going to have one of those Elwood 'i have seen the light moments'. Well worth checking out if you can.

The cheering after the game was incredible, passionate and great to see. As the players walked towards the race, the cheer squad starting chanting, and suddenly the crowd joined in as the players walked off. It was fantastic.

SonofScray
09-08-2015, 03:57 PM
The cheering after the game was incredible, passionate and great to see. As the players walked towards the race, the cheer squad starting chanting, and suddenly the crowd joined in as the players walked off. It was fantastic.

In the past five years we've only had a few moments like that, where the Pack really rallied and you felt part of something bigger. One was the fight at halftime v Melbourne at Etihad where everyone lost their minds and indulged in some bloodlust. It was raucous, stuff. Galvanising. After a few dormant years the fight in the Club came back a bit. We just weren't going to sit by and passively accept that. I feel great for days afterwards.

Yesterday was a cut above, it was the physical manifestation of a glorious surge in belief. A joyous acknowledgment of our boys. We have given voice to something special. Just talking about it gives me tingles and makes me chuckle a bit. We're all on a train that is bound for glory.

LostDoggy
09-08-2015, 09:50 PM
The boys seemed to stay out just a bit longer to enjoy the crowd reaction. The Bont was especially animated, along with Biggs and TC. The crowd was enraptured watching the boys sing the song on the big screen, and as people left, the song was sung..... First time I have ever heard that over 40 years of following the dogs........there is a strong sense that this group is as good as a group we have ever had. I for one are onboard for the ride, what about you?

LostDoggy
09-08-2015, 09:55 PM
The boys seemed to stay out just a bit longer to enjoy the crowd reaction. The Bont was especially animated, along with Biggs and TC. The crowd was enraptured watching the boys sing the song on the big screen, and as people left, the song was sung..... First time I have ever heard that over 40 years of following the dogs........there is a strong sense that this group is as good as a group we have ever had. I for one are onboard for the ride, what about you?

#Getaroundit

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
09-08-2015, 10:09 PM
It was great being at the Footscray End yesterday the doggie doggie doggie woof woof woof chant got re-booted, the theme song before the end of the game, the Bont smother love it was so much fun ��

ratsmac
09-08-2015, 11:50 PM
It was a great atmosphere wasn't it. You have to hand it to the umps, because of their incompetence it really got crowd going! Everyone was getting their tribal on.
There is something brewing out west and while it's great being everyone's second favourite team, it won't be too long before they hate us (again) because we are handing their first favourite team a right belting!
Go dogs! #bemorebulldog

Raw Toast
10-08-2015, 12:01 AM
You know, with the exception of the MCcarney era, since 1996 we really have always played this fast attacking running game, it's the best footy to watch and as a supporter it makes for incredible moments.

Agreed, but this time we match it with manic defensive pressure which is also superb, and the combination of the two is incredible. Couldn't wish for the team to be trying for a more enjoyable way of playing the game.

It was great being at the Footscray End yesterday the doggie doggie doggie woof woof woof chant got re-booted, the theme song before the end of the game, the Bont smother love it was so much fun ��

I re-booted that about 4 years ago now, back in the latter stages of a season where it started to become clear that we'd be lucky to kick a goal in the second half. Each goal needed to be treasured because it might well be our last of the game, and doing the Doggie/Woof chant also helped keep my kids interested in coming along to games as well. Yesterday we had three burly lads over from Perth to support the Dockers who lent their voices to our efforts which was kind of them. We scored so many goals that they begged off in the last quarter in an effort to save some voice for the Freo-Saints match on today.

ratsmac
10-08-2015, 01:13 AM
I personally hate the doggie doggie doggie chant. I don't know why but I just don't like it. I'm happy for others to do it but it's not my thing. I'm more the plain ol' bulldogs clap clap clap type of guy. Plain and simple and to the point.

BornInDroopSt'54
10-08-2015, 10:44 AM
I had to leave halfway through the last quarter to get to a wedding reception but the tribal, the primal that was born in the last quarter of VFL grand last year (but has been fermenting since '97 and maybe '61) was morphing in the crowd.
I just wish we could chant "Footscray" like in last years granny and in times of yore.

SonofScray
10-08-2015, 09:16 PM
I had to leave halfway through the last quarter to get to a wedding reception but the tribal, the primal that was born in the last quarter of VFL grand last year (but has been fermenting since '97 and maybe '61) was morphing in the crowd.
I just wish we could chant "Footscray" like in last years granny and in times of yore.you can and we will. The Scray will be in the vernacular on the day and in the lead up in much the same way that the Bloods moniker was for Sydney.

Remi Moses
10-08-2015, 10:35 PM
Chant Footscray. Doggie doggie doggie yuk yuk yuk!
Need the English soccer chants

chef
11-08-2015, 09:37 AM
I love the chanting.

1eyedog
11-08-2015, 12:47 PM
Sometimes I like to walk around to the commentary side of the ground to hear the reverberations of the Doug Hawkins wing after a goal is scored.

LostDoggy
11-08-2015, 10:58 PM
I personally hate the doggie doggie doggie chant. I don't know why but I just don't like it. I'm happy for others to do it but it's not my thing. I'm more the plain ol' bulldogs clap clap clap type of guy. Plain and simple and to the point.

My kids adore it. Little Anneliese is up and chanting it every goal we kick, she loves that she can get the whole crowd into it as well.

bulldogtragic
22-09-2016, 10:48 AM
Seeking all ideas to get our tribal on at Spotless. There's a bit of March, decking out in our colours and probably booing and generally getting stuck into Gryphone. What can we do as a crowd to make it a brutally tribal affair?

aker39
22-09-2016, 10:57 AM
Seeking all ideas to get our tribal on at Spotless. There's a bit of March, decking out in our colours and probably booing and generally getting stuck into Gryphone. What can we do as a crowd to make it a brutally tribal affair?

Where as much red white and blue as you can.

bulldogtragic
22-09-2016, 11:07 AM
Where as much red white and blue as you can.

Face & body paint like David Puddy? :D

bulldogtragic
22-09-2016, 11:18 AM
Let me just throw random ideas out:

People with Bulldogs supporters next to them link up arms in crowd for the national anthem, just like the players do. We are all one. Have even the whole cheer squad arm in arm too. Would look great and gee us up.

If we win, when the players come to the boundary we all stand and salute them. Could be an iconic image for the ages.

Chanting Bulldogs, slowly ala soccer, for the entire 1/4 & 3/4 time breaks.

Give Gryphone hell.

Scream to we all lose our voices.

I might even go the basic RW&B zinc strips on the face. Haven't work face paint in about 30 years, but hell, as Slim said the crowd can be the 23rd player.

bulldogtragic
22-09-2016, 11:24 AM
If we win and you get Vox popped, or better someone from the club, please use 'we stuck it right up them, that's what we did, we stuck it right up them!'. Channel EJ.

bornadog
22-09-2016, 11:31 AM
We need flags waving, lots of flags. Every kid should have one in the crowd, waving like crazy.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/multimedia/archive/01016/464692e6-9168-11e5_1016049c.jpg

bornadog
22-09-2016, 11:34 AM
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/06/10/19/3522C47700000578-3635812-image-a-52_1465583909482.jpg

bulldogtragic
22-09-2016, 11:35 AM
Je Sui Bulldog.

comrade
22-09-2016, 11:38 AM
The WOOF WOOF signs were pretty cool at the semi. They should be handed out to every Bulldog in the place.

Twodogs
22-09-2016, 11:39 AM
Face & body paint like David Puddy? :D

Heh! I have been in a few relationships like Puddy/Elaine. It's always fun seeing how much you can annoy someone just being yourself.

bulldogtragic
22-09-2016, 11:40 AM
The WOOF WOOF signs were pretty cool at the semi. They should be handed out to every Bulldog in the place.

The club should bus them up, they'll have a heap of room on the buses.

Twodogs
22-09-2016, 11:41 AM
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/06/10/19/3522C47700000578-3635812-image-a-52_1465583909482.jpg

Most of the people with face paint appear not to have flags. I wonder if it's a binary thing? Face paint=no flag for you!

Twodogs
22-09-2016, 11:46 AM

The club have run out of the a4 size Finals glossy posters they gave been handing out. It has Toyd, Hunter and Jack Macrae from memory on it. There are also separate Dahlhaus and Bontompelli posters as well. There are quite a few around the place though.

bornadog
22-09-2016, 12:13 PM
Most of the people with face paint appear not to have flags. I wonder if it's a binary thing? Face paint=no flag for you!

I have said it for years, every Junior membership should come with a flag.

Greystache
22-09-2016, 01:15 PM
The club have run out of the a4 size Finals glossy posters they gave been handing out. It has Toyd, Hunter and Jack Macrae from memory on it. There are also separate Dahlhaus and Bontompelli posters as well. There are quite a few around the place though.

Nearly every shop in Yarraville village has them in their windows.

Ozza
22-09-2016, 04:06 PM

Seddon is also draped in a fair bit of red, white & blue at the moment. Plenty of balloons and streamers. The fire trucks at the Droop St station have bulldogs flags attached (just drove past one on the way home earlier).

Twodogs
22-09-2016, 07:12 PM

The oldies would have been appalled. Footscray invading Yarraville? They would have barricaded Anderson st.

It looks good. A couple of houses in West Footscray have gone full bulldog decoration. I will get some photos.

Ozza
22-09-2016, 07:20 PM
The oldies would have been appalled. Footscray invading Yarraville? They would have barricaded Anderson st.

It looks good. A couple of houses in West Footscray have gone full bulldog decoration. I will get some photos.

My wife is a Geelong supporter (and is going tomorrow night)...HOWEVER, when I was working, she and the kids covered the front windows in red, white and blue crate paper, and tied red, white & blue balloons to the front fence. Good form.

westdog54
22-09-2016, 08:18 PM
Red White and Blue flags popping up all over the place in Bacchus Marsh.

Just in time to replace the Red Yellow and Black for Bacchus Marsh FC who won the BFL Granny last week.

Twodogs
24-09-2016, 12:11 AM
My wife is a Geelong supporter (and is going tomorrow night)...HOWEVER, when I was working, she and the kids covered the front windows in red, white and blue crate paper, and tied red, white & blue balloons to the front fence. Good form.

I have a 'The Finals' poster in the front window that I picked up from the club. And a couple of years ago I rescued a couple of pretty large Western Bulldogs flags out of a skip outside the footy ground. Anyway the larger one is stuck to to my garage door at the moment.

Eastdog
24-09-2016, 12:39 AM
Was at my local fish and chip shop tonight as I usually am most Friday's and George the owner started to sing the song as I stepped in the shop as I was wearing my Doggies scarf. We sang it together and I was also the only one in the store at that time as well :)