PDA

View Full Version : Best and worst of draft day

LostDoggy
25-11-2007, 06:12 PM
I just wanted to know peoples thoughts on who had the best and worst draft day of 07 and got the best/worst young crop of talent.

I personally think that brisbane had a good draft and got themselves two hard at it midfielders and two key position prospects while melbourne and geelong also had good days out. Although i did think geelong pounced on harry taylor a bit too early.

West Coast had a good day but were always going to, because of there early picks.

I think Essendon drafted too many KPP and should have gone for more speed in the middle. I think that the kangaroos should have gone more for youth but chose to draft two 21 year olds and blake grima (23) who was delisted at the end of the season.

This is just my opinion but i would love to hear others as well.

LostDoggy
25-11-2007, 06:23 PM
Its a bit hard to just assess draft day because you also need to review the trade period as it really does shape the day.

However going with what you said, these are the teams that I think won on the day.

West Coast - A Plus - Top of the class as they get three terrific midfielders and probably the best long term prospect forward.

Richmond - A Grade - They got the best midfielder, the best defender which was their priorities and a great long term prospect ruckman and tall forward.

Carlton - A Grade - The best footballer who was also the best ruckman plus they got Steven Browne at a bargain pick. To top it off the landed Armfield who could also be a steal.

Melbourne - B Plus - Morton is a bargain and Grimes and Maric are the players that they wanted.

Brisbane - B Plus - The got a very good tall forward in Henderson and defender in Collier and the other three they should be happy with.

The teams I think faired poorly are Collingwood and Adelaide

Mantis
25-11-2007, 06:57 PM
Its a bit hard to just assess draft day because you also need to review the trade peiod as it really does shape the day.

However going with what you said, these are the teams that I think won on the day.

West Coast - A Plus - Top of the class as they get three terrific midfielders and probably the best long term prospect forward.

Richmond - A Grade - They got the best midfielder, the best defender which was their priorities and a great long term prospect ruckman and tall forward.

Carlton - A Grade - The best footballer who was also the best ruckman plus they got Steven Browne at a bargain pick. To top it off the landed Armfield who could also be a steal.

Melbourne - B Plus - Morton is a bargain and Grimes and Maric are the players that they wanted.

Brisbane - B Plus - The got a very good tall forward in Henderson and defender in Collier and the other three they should be happy with.

The teams I think faired poorly are Collingwood and Adelaide

It's tough when you have 4 picks inside the first 22 isn't it.

By choice they traded their first pick for Cam Wood so that has to be taken into account.

LostDoggy
25-11-2007, 07:37 PM
One team that stood out for mine was the Roos. Seems as though they drafted for the short term whilst Grant, Harvey, Thompson etc are still there. All the players they drafted, judging by their size (KG) seems to me that they are AFL ready so the Roos would be expecting them to play more than a handful of games during their debut season and relying upon them more heavily than we would. If im right it says alot about their current crop of players.

GVGjr
25-11-2007, 07:42 PM
Its a bit hard to just assess draft day because you also need to review the trade period as it really does shape the day.

It's tough when you have 4 picks inside the first 22 isn't it.

By choice they traded their first pick for Cam Wood so that has to be taken into account.

Did you overlook the opening statement?

IMO, The Eagles addressed their needs and got a lot of value by landing Ebert with their second pick. They positioned themselves very well and probably did a bit better than they expected.

LostDoggy
25-11-2007, 08:19 PM

IMO, The Eagles addressed their needs and got a lot of value by landing Ebert with their second pick. They positioned themselves very well and probably did a bit better than they expected.

I wonder if WCE knew they were going to get Ebert at pick 13 they might have gone a different option at 3 like Morton. Ebert and Masten seem like similar players.

GVGjr
25-11-2007, 08:23 PM
I wonder if WCE knew they were going to get Ebert at pick 13 they might have gone a different option at 3 like Morton. Ebert and Masten seem like similar players.

No they didn't. They had to have a rethink because they didn't expect him to be available.
Masten is a pure midfielder whilst Ebert can play there or as a forward. Selwood is a defender and midfielder.

LostDoggy
25-11-2007, 10:35 PM
One team that stood out for mine was the Roos. Seems as though they drafted for the short term whilst Grant, Harvey, Thompson etc are still there. All the players they drafted, judging by their size (KG) seems to me that they are AFL ready so the Roos would be expecting them to play more than a handful of games during their debut season and relying upon them more heavily than we would. If im right it says alot about their current crop of players.

I got that impression as well but they have always seemed to have drafted and traded a bit more needs based than a lot of other teams have.

Mantis
25-11-2007, 11:30 PM

Trade week and the draft go hand in hand. I can't see how you could rate Collingwood's draft badly as they had serviced there requirements a month ago. They needed a ruckman to help out Fraser now, so they traded for one, if they wanted one in 4 years times they would have drafted one.

Further to the point rating clubs now on this draft is darn right impossible. Who knows how these kids will turn out? Hopefully we do well at of this draft because on potential we look to have acquired some talented players, but we will not know for at least another 3 or 4 years if this draft was a success.

Sockeye Salmon
25-11-2007, 11:42 PM
I think West Coast and Richmond would be very pleased with their work.

Essendon, who IMO have a very ordinary midfield took 4 big guys.

Sydney took 3 dwarves and it's not as if they're blessed with big blokes.

Adelaide are dumb for overlooking Ebert. It's Cam Wood all over again. The Crows don't seem to realise what a shithole Adelaide is to anyone who wasn't born there.

Mantis
26-11-2007, 09:43 AM
Essendon, who IMO have a very ordinary midfield took 4 big guys.

I think they are hoping the midfield players they took last year will be the answer .ie. Jetta, Hislop, Houli

Sydney took 3 dwarves and it's not as if they're blessed with big blokes.

I thought they would take Rance with there first selection. Leapin Leo is on the decline and to think LRT and Bolton will hold there backline together is a stretch.

Go_Dogs
26-11-2007, 09:44 AM
Adelaide apparently had Dangerfield rated at #3 behind Kruezer and Cotchin, so they would be pleased. I certainly would have had Ebert ahead, leadership qualities, goal kicking, modern day midfielder. Dangerfield only seems to beat him in blistering pace stakes.

LostDoggy
26-11-2007, 01:47 PM
Adelaide apparently had Dangerfield rated at #3 behind Kruezer and Cotchin, so they would be pleased. I certainly would have had Ebert ahead, leadership qualities, goal kicking, modern day midfielder. Dangerfield only seems to beat him in blistering pace stakes.
Maybe they are already planning to get Ebert home...

GVGjr
26-11-2007, 01:49 PM

It won't happen anytime soon. The Eagles are very good at holding onto their interstate recruits.

Mantis
26-11-2007, 02:24 PM

Just like Cooney, Griffen, Pavlich, Gibbs, etc, etc...

Yeah right.

LostDoggy
26-11-2007, 02:49 PM
Bit early to say who did well and who didnt. Wait 2-3yrs then review. At this stage i guess most recruiters would be pretty satisfied

Throughandthrough
26-11-2007, 03:13 PM
Just like Cooney, Griffen, Pavlich, Gibbs, etc, etc...

Yeah right.

Lol@Crows supporters on Big Footy

"my mates mates dog's uncle played footy with Adam Cooney's best mate. He said he is coming home next season"

LostDoggy
27-11-2007, 07:52 PM
I reckon bachar houli is going to be an absolute champ.