PDA

View Full Version : It's our time

GVGjr
11-08-2015, 11:04 PM
All,

It's a reality in life that sometimes the people in charge don't really know what they're doing. They try hard and they mean well but on occasions they just fall short.
I think the AFL have to be taken to task for the way they have totally wrecked the time honored tradition of relaxing in front of the tele after a hard week at work and watching a good game of Australian Rules footy.

What we have been served up this year is a series of substandard games that lack atmosphere with little to no entertainment value. I can honestly say I don't think I've been able to tolerate it for more than a quarter for most of the games that have been televised.
We now watch Friday night football to hear what stupid remarks the commentators make more than watching a great game of footy.

The remedy going forward is actually quite simple, put a team on that genuinely excites the viewing public, a team that doesn't worry too much about tagging the opposition, a team that takes the game on and one with a fresh and vibrant style that has a large and healthy smattering of the best young talent this game has to offer.

That team is of course the Western Bulldogs.
The team with the best jumper, the most relaxed coach, a charismatic and passionate President and the club that sets the agenda of being loud and being fair and the club that knows how to draw the line.

If the AFL wants to make the 2016 season one to remember and the one that brings the footy public back to the game then the choice is made easy and really it just needs to be reinforced to them.
Put the Bulldogs on prime time and ignite Friday nights.

To get this off the ground and right in the AFL sight please remember to add the following to any twitter comments about the Western Bulldogs.

#IgniteFridayNights #BulldogsPrimetime

WOOF, WOOF

boydogs
12-08-2015, 12:26 AM
You've nailed it GVG. 7 thanks'/likes without any replies tells you there is not much to add.

I will say one thing though. We have had a very playable fixture this year, and that will change next year if we start playing a few Fridays. Every Friday night game where we didn't play Friday night the week before will be after a 5 or 6 day break.

Playing Friday nights is great for exposure and attendances, but not great for maximising wins, or minimising injuries and fatigue through a long season with a young list.

jeemak
12-08-2015, 01:49 AM
You've nailed it GVG. 7 thanks'/likes without any replies tells you there is not much to add.

I will say one thing though. We have had a very playable fixture this year, and that will change next year if we start playing a few Fridays. Every Friday night game where we didn't play Friday night the week before will be after a 5 or 6 day break.

Playing Friday nights is great for exposure and attendances, but not great for maximising wins, or minimising injuries and fatigue through a long season with a young list.

I reckon if we played Carlton seven times we'd be just fine!

Your point is well taken though, our fixture was tough at the start of the year according to the pundits, and was only determined really soft after we won all the hard games we weren't supposed to win.

The tough ask will come when the fixture matches us against this year's middle of the road teams and tougher teams on multiple occasions, though once again, with the AFL trying to be too clever by half you can be sure they'll stuff up the reading of the "ups and downs" within the competition and things will play out differently than how they expected them to.

Either way, the OP is fairly well spot on. If you want excitement and quality next year then you'll not need too look to far beyond a Western Bulldogs fixture.

1eyedog
12-08-2015, 10:10 AM
We will be too good for the midle of the road teams next year. I think we'll see a bipolar fixture next year where the AFL play us against the Richmonds and Hawthorns (at least) on a Friday night and then forward us the usual interstate riff raff at Etihad on Saturday / Sunday arvo.

I'm ok with this provided we are afforded Friday night exposure while still maximising opportunities to beat up on interstate teams at home.

whythelongface
12-08-2015, 10:23 AM
Great post GvGjr, however when I read the title "It's our time" my first thought was a thread about us winning the flag, as it is definitely our time. :)

Totally agree with what you have written. If the AFL is serious and they want to expand the brand of AFL, then the only option is for clubs that play attractive football to be afforded the rights of prime time TV. Games v Hawthorn, Collingwood and Richmond should be the minimum that we are allocated.