PDA

View Full Version : Imagining what it would be like when we win the premiership

Eastdog
12-08-2015, 05:34 PM
I don't want to get too carried away and we should take it one week at time and we have had such a great year compared to the last few.

Was imagining if we won the premiership what the next day at the Whitten Oval would be like. What a party it will be. You will see fans making the pilgrimage from all over to revel in the glory. Will be celebrating I would say for months and months cherishing every bit but importantly as well making sure we don't go overboard as we want to knuckle down for pre season and go for it again the next year.

It may not be this year but hopefully its not that far away now.

1eyedog
12-08-2015, 05:57 PM
Not sure I'd probably still be unconcious in a Barkly Street gutter the next day. Either that, if I don't get some assistance after the pre-game drinks, asleep on a traffic island out the front of the Sporting Globe on Bridge Road IMHO. I'm sorry, I'm not an Alcho Ocka type of guy, but I will be on that night.

Cyberdoggie
12-08-2015, 06:02 PM
Mods please close this thread!

There will be no dreaming, stargazing, what if'ing, imagining, wondering or even hoping this year! This kind of talk is dangerous and hazardous to your health and needs an official "Put a lid on it" stamp!

:p

Eastdog
12-08-2015, 06:08 PM
Sorry Cyberdoggie. I had a feeling the thread would get a reaction from some.

SonofScray
12-08-2015, 06:12 PM
The Day will be huge for all of us, I'd imagine we'd all be emotional wrecks.

It'll be intense, an eruption of emotion on a scale that is difficult to find the correct words for. Think about all the family narratives, the myths and legends of our Club, the people close and dear to us who have come and gone while the journey towards The Day continued. We carry all of that with us, they will be present on the Day, it is a heavy load we are happy to take. 61 years is a long time.

A few things that will happen, nostalgia will kick in. The past will be drawn back into the present as we look for examples of what to expect on the Day. The word Footscray will be alive and in vogue. Heroes of 1954 will be on parade with open arms waiting for a new crop to join them as absolute Immortals in the fabric of our Club. There will be hostility as people scramble to claim legitimacy on the wagon and stake their claim on the significance of the event. War stories will be told. We will turn on anyone that isn't one of us. There will be a sense of true connection between our fans which will be be strikingly tangible and relevant once everyone wants a piece of the action.

It will be a novel experience. None of us know how to behave in the modern era of Grand Final Week. We will bring something different, authentic to the Day. We'll be mocked for it. As a collective we'll flip a bird at those that mock us and celebrate so obnoxiously anyone who isn't really invested in our success will be put offside. It'll feel great.

There will be a march. We will be gathering in the city at Fed Sq, flags and banners raised high. Descending on The G to take our place in the history books. It'll be a nervous, raucous experience which your kids will talk to their kids about. The game will be played, people will fall ill due to the stress. Voices will be lost. Tears shed with every goal we score as The Day dawns even closer. The siren will sound, we will win and all hell will break loose. Nothing will ever be the same again.

LostDoggy
12-08-2015, 06:27 PM
Imagining what it would be like when we win the premiership

Tried in 85, 97, 98 ...... head nearly exploded

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
12-08-2015, 07:30 PM
Had to cancel the tattoo

Eastdog
12-08-2015, 07:54 PM
Had to cancel the tattoo

What tattoo was it going to be.

Twodogs
12-08-2015, 08:10 PM
Had to cancel the tattoo

Already got one but I will get another to go with it, maybe a premiership cup or a flag. Or both!

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
12-08-2015, 09:05 PM
It was the old bulldog with the FFC flag in its mouth. I have the picture ready and the arm exfoliated ready for the day

Rocket Science
12-08-2015, 09:06 PM
Don't wish to unduly agitate ye faithful but while nothing below isn't freely available in the public domain, a quick snapshot of Bev's coaching travails reads thusly...

2006 - Flag St Bedes
2007 - Flag St Bedes
2008 - Flag St Bedes
2009 - Prelim loss Collingwood
2010 - Flag Collingwood
2011 - Surfing & Zen Meditation
2012 - Prelim loss Hawthorn
2013 - Flag Hawthorn
2014 - Flag Hawthorn

Up to my ears in the Bev-kool-aid I may be but there's something special brewing here, it's in the tea leaves people.

Now, I don't bet. Just not in my DNA. But have felt an illogical compulsion lately to slap some hard earned down on a red, white and blue flag in 2015. So like an idiot, I did. Almost as if I dare not bet against him. Look at the bloke's record. WOULD YOU?

Anyway, I had to tell someone. And I'm certain I've just jinxed it.

Now watch us drop the next four games. Oh, bugger it all to hell.

The bulldog tragician
12-08-2015, 09:14 PM
The Day will be huge for all of us, I'd imagine we'd all be emotional wrecks.

It'll be intense, an eruption of emotion on a scale that is difficult to find the correct words for. Think about all the family narratives, the myths and legends of our Club, the people close and dear to us who have come and gone while the journey towards The Day continued. We carry all of that with us, they will be present on the Day, it is a heavy load we are happy to take. 61 years is a long time.

A few things that will happen, nostalgia will kick in. The past will be drawn back into the present as we look for examples of what to expect on the Day. The word Footscray will be alive and in vogue. Heroes of 1954 will be on parade with open arms waiting for a new crop to join them as absolute Immortals in the fabric of our Club. There will be hostility as people scramble to claim legitimacy on the wagon and stake their claim on the significance of the event. War stories will be told. We will turn on anyone that isn't one of us. There will be a sense of true connection between our fans which will be be strikingly tangible and relevant once everyone wants a piece of the action.

It will be a novel experience. None of us know how to behave in the modern era of Grand Final Week. We will bring something different, authentic to the Day. We'll be mocked for it. As a collective we'll flip a bird at those that mock us and celebrate so obnoxiously anyone who isn't really invested in our success will be put offside. It'll feel great.

There will be a march. We will be gathering in the city at Fed Sq, flags and banners raised high. Descending on The G to take our place in the history books. It'll be a nervous, raucous experience which your kids will talk to their kids about. The game will be played, people will fall ill due to the stress. Voices will be lost. Tears shed with every goal we score as The Day dawns even closer. The siren will sound, we will win and all hell will break loose. Nothing will ever be the same again.

I've often dreamt about it. Literally. I imagine the build up, gathering friends and family the night before to watch the preliminary final win again and again. And again.

How we might go, together, to the game, getting on at West Footscray station where the Hyde St band will see us off. Whether Bob will still be playing, how it will be if the sons of Libber, Wallis and Hunter are in the team together experiencing what their dads could not, seeing Rohan Smith and Gia getting their small taste of it too.

To be honest I have never quite been able to get past just imagining being there for the moment the team runs out onto the ground, the moment that so few of us have ever experienced. I imagine the big screen showing Brad Johnson, Scott West and Chris Grant seated together in the crowd, and then the roar - there will never be another like it, surely, when our team breaks through the banner, and history finally happens.

Remi Moses
13-08-2015, 05:39 AM
We'd be inconsolable with joy .
There would be tears everywhere

Templeton31
13-08-2015, 08:53 AM
I plan to be at Whitten Oval social club as long as I can stand and then sleep on the spot on the hill where I used to watch games from.

And I've been dreaming of premiership glory in 2015 too...... I believe.

Murphy'sLore
13-08-2015, 09:08 AM
I have actual tears in my eyes reading this. Damn you people!

bulldogsthru&thru
13-08-2015, 09:59 AM
Stop it people. Please. Thinking of this moment is just torturing your mind. We're all already emotionally scarred as it is! I've certainly never been the same since '97!

1eyedog
13-08-2015, 10:51 AM
Stop it people. Please. Thinking of this moment is just torturing your mind. We're all already emotionally scarred as it is! I've certainly never been the same since '97!

You need to reconcile this internally. It's been what it's been and what will be will be. It will make ultimate success that much sweeter when it happens.

craigsahibee
13-08-2015, 11:19 AM
It was the old bulldog with the FFC flag in its mouth. I have the picture ready and the arm exfoliated ready for the day

Have that one over my heart.

Happy Days
13-08-2015, 11:42 AM
If we win the flag I'm going to seek out Tom Liberatore in the stands and go wherever he goes, should be loose.

Twodogs
13-08-2015, 12:30 PM
Have that one over my heart.

Left shoulder. That was bad enough. I can't think what having a tattoo gun digging into my chest would be like.

KT31
13-08-2015, 02:27 PM
Left shoulder. That was bad enough. I can't think what having a tattoo gun digging into my chest would be like.

TD, we had a thousand and one daggers sunk into our chests in "97 the tattoo gun should be a breeze.

Twodogs
13-08-2015, 02:36 PM
TD, we had a thousand and one daggers sunk into our chests in "97 the tattoo gun should be a breeze.

So true. The metaphysical agony this club has put me through is far worse than any physical pain I have ever suffered.

Sedat
13-08-2015, 08:43 PM
If we ever win a flag, I'll make sure I'm 100% lucid for the entire night. I wouldn't want to miss a second of the occasion by being under the weather.

Greystache
13-08-2015, 08:46 PM
If we ever win a flag, I'll make sure I'm 100% lucid for the entire night. I wouldn't want to miss a second of the occasion by being under the weather.

I'm the same. A couple of beers after the game but nothing too large, and certainly nothing before or during.

comrade
13-08-2015, 08:56 PM

The week long party to follow might be a different story!

bulldogtragic
13-08-2015, 08:58 PM
Ditto. I'd want to savour every second and have clear memories about it all. Plenty of time the next week to watch it 100 times and hit the turps.

Greystache
13-08-2015, 09:06 PM
Ditto. I'd want to savour every second and have clear memories about it all. Plenty of time the next week to watch it 100 times and hit the turps.

Totally. I think the club would show a replay the next week on the ground for all the supporters and probably have a can bar.

Would. Be. Messy!!

bulldogtragic
13-08-2015, 09:10 PM
Totally. I think the club would show a replay the next week on the ground for all the supporters and probably have a can bar.

Would. Be. Messy!!

Can I pre book my spot now there whenever it happens?

Happy Days
13-08-2015, 10:48 PM

Would. Be. Messy!!

Now there's an idea.

1eyedog
14-08-2015, 01:07 AM

Wow

I'm the same. A couple of beers after the game but nothing too large, and certainly nothing before or during.

Wow

Wow

Plenty of opportunities to watch the game over and over after I sober up. I agree I'll watch the game sober but if we win here's Johnny!

bulldogtragic
28-09-2016, 08:03 PM
Bump. Happy reading of what you've all committed to previously just in case you need a reminder... :D

Eastdog
28-09-2016, 08:34 PM
Bump. Happy reading of what you've all committed to previously just in case you need a reminder... :D

Really relevant now.

Rocket Science
28-09-2016, 08:39 PM
I can't.

ratsmac
28-09-2016, 09:12 PM
It can actually be a reality come Saturday arvo. I just had a panic attack typing that!

LostDoggy
28-09-2016, 09:49 PM
I know this is going to sound horrible and pessimistic and wet blankety, but I'm still really scared we're going to find a way to absolutely break our own hearts and f*** this up.

Call me cynical, but it comes with being a Bulldog, right? (or maybe just this one haha).

BulldogBelle
28-09-2016, 10:26 PM
Promised my kids for years l will get a tattoo when we win a GF!
Not far away now.

comrade
28-09-2016, 10:44 PM
I know this is going to sound horrible and pessimistic and wet blankety, but I'm still really scared we're going to find a way to absolutely break our own hearts and f*** this up.

Call me cynical, but it comes with being a Bulldog, right? (or maybe just this one haha).

I'm less anxious about this week than either of the last 2.

bornadog
28-09-2016, 10:45 PM
I'm less anxious about this week than either of the last 2.

Yeah me too. We have made it to the granny, and now to win.

LostDoggy
28-09-2016, 11:30 PM
Not far away now.

Same TDB.
Can't wait!!!

1eyedog
29-09-2016, 12:03 AM

Cynical

bulldogtragic
29-09-2016, 12:10 AM

I'm thinking the exact opposite, and I'm cynical as hell. This is the game this year when our forward 50 entries are really consistently good. When our easy set shots finally go straight all game. When the run and carry is in perfect harmony with our contested bashings. Where Roughy gets through, when Tom Boyd announces himself and Jake lights it up while Bont shows why he's the biggest game player there has ever been. When the Cinderella Story has the perfect ending.

hujsh
29-09-2016, 11:53 AM
What's this thread doing open? I demand it's closure until 7pm Saturday

LostDoggy
29-09-2016, 11:14 PM
I hope you're all right!

bulldogtragic
02-10-2016, 01:29 AM
I'm thinking the exact opposite, and I'm cynical as hell. This is the game this year when our forward 50 entries are really consistently good. When our easy set shots finally go straight all game. When the run and carry is in perfect harmony with our contested bashings. Where Roughy gets through, when Tom Boyd announces himself and Jake lights it up while Bont shows why he's the biggest game player there has ever been. When the Cinderella Story has the perfect ending.

*!*!*!*! I love being right sometimes!! :D

FrediKanoute
02-10-2016, 11:01 AM
Reality was better than anything I could ever have imagined....

LostDoggy
02-10-2016, 12:51 PM

Well, I have never been happier to eat my own words in my entire life. A little belief goes a long, long way!

comrade
02-10-2016, 03:42 PM
We've just lived through an ESPN 30:30 documentary.

jazzadogs
02-10-2016, 04:07 PM
I'd almost say it's not what I imagined...it was too surreal! It didn't really sink in until the Whitten Oval today.

EasternWest
02-10-2016, 04:55 PM
We've just lived through an ESPN 30:30 documentary.

Believeland 2.0

comrade
02-10-2016, 05:19 PM
Believeland 2.0

Flagscray

always right
02-10-2016, 05:58 PM
There will be a movie made about this mark my words.

I will be played by Matt Damon.

bulldogtragic
02-10-2016, 06:10 PM
So how many are following through on their premiership tattoos?

G-Mo77
02-10-2016, 06:11 PM
I've been stopping myself all week from imagining what it would be like to win. My god, it was better than I could ever imagine.

LostDoggy
02-10-2016, 06:15 PM

I'm gonna get a traditional bulldog at some point!

dadsgirl16
02-10-2016, 06:22 PM
I have been spouting for so long now..I will have to go through with it!

EasternWest
02-10-2016, 07:57 PM

Scraggers said he's getting one on his forehead.

Danny the snakeman
02-10-2016, 09:30 PM
I have been spouting for so long now..I will have to go through with it!

Same here

AndrewP6
02-10-2016, 09:44 PM
I'm going out on a limb here. I think it will be absolutely amazing, one of, if not THE greatest moment in our lives. That's what it'll be for me, anyway.

Ghost Dog
02-10-2016, 11:00 PM
I caught myself day dreaming about our flag win last week and censored myself.
Guess I can rip the lid off now and throw it away.

Not just that we won it, but how we won it. Some Hawthorn fans said to me they enjoyed watching our win more than theirs last year.

BulldogBelle
04-10-2016, 08:41 AM

It will be done!

LostDoggy
04-10-2016, 09:00 PM

You Bloody Betcha BT! ;)

bulldogtragic
04-10-2016, 09:36 PM
You Bloody Betcha BT! ;)

Current logo, old bulldog or portrait of Zaine across your entire back ala Steve-O (of Jackass fame)?

KT31
04-10-2016, 10:36 PM
Not far away now.

First thing my wife reminded of me after the siren.

LostDoggy
04-10-2016, 11:36 PM
Current logo, old bulldog or portrait of Zaine across your entire back ala Steve-O (of Jackass fame)?
Current logo with
Premiers
Underneath.

bornadog
04-10-2016, 11:43 PM
You Bloody Betcha BT! ;)
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ct51qScUMAATmoy.jpg

Twodogs
05-10-2016, 12:00 AM
I will get a flag and 2016 under the bulldog that is already there. I got that tattoo in 1989 to celebrate the fightback and saving the club so it's sort of come full circle I guess.

EasternWest
05-10-2016, 11:30 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ct51qScUMAATmoy.jpg

Is that redders tattoo? That's shopping early to avoid the rush.

LostDoggy
05-10-2016, 10:19 PM
Is that redders tattoo? That's shopping early to avoid the rush.

Wish it was,
looks Maaaaagnificent!!!;)

boydogs
08-10-2016, 10:10 PM
That's some excellent work by the tattoo artist. Maybe just the eyes aren't quite right but the rest is pretty bang on

Twodogs
09-10-2016, 03:14 PM
It wouldn't have healed properly if it's maybe 4 or 5 days since the tattoo being done. Fake maybe?

Twodogs
09-10-2016, 03:15 PM
Mind you it's been many years since my last tattoo and the tecbnique may have improved.

Twodogs
09-10-2016, 03:18 PM
Anybody else getting 2016 on theirs or updating the old one are they going to add 1954 as well? I never got it on mine because it looked a bit lonely but now I've got 2016 to keep it company I think it's only right I list all the premierships.

1eyedog
14-10-2016, 08:50 AM
Anybody else getting 2016 on theirs or updating the old one are they going to add 1954 as well? I never got it on mine because it looked a bit lonely but now I've got 2016 to keep it company I think it's only right I list all the premierships.

2017, 2018, 2019 hope you've got big guns

SonofScray
14-10-2016, 09:28 AM
I never thought about what it'd be like AFTER.

Going to have to quit my job. The sheer joy on the day has made me realise how much every other day is an absolute soul destroying grind. Need more Premiership joy in my life.

Danny the snakeman
15-10-2016, 06:19 PM
All my life I have said "all I want is one premiership" turns out that's not quite true. All I want is BACK to BACK.

bornadog
15-10-2016, 06:32 PM
All my life I have said "all I want is one premiership" turns out that's not quite true. All I want is BACK to BACK.

Bark to Bark

Eastdog
15-10-2016, 06:32 PM
2017, 2018, 2019 hope you've got big guns

To make it 4 in a row will be well past dreamland.