PDA

View Full Version : Bankers and Anchors - Round 20

Eastdog
15-08-2015, 08:45 PM
This is the round 20 edition of the Weekly Bankers and Anchors Thread. Once the game against Melbourne is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys that you we banked on to do the right thing during the game
The Anchors = 3 guys that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

bulldogtragic
16-08-2015, 05:49 PM
Bank em and Anch em.

bulldogtragic
16-08-2015, 07:03 PM
B:

Granty. Brilliant game.
King Wally.
Bonts.
Dahl.
Jake Stringer
Boyd
Etc
Etc

A:

Darley was the clear worst, but not that bad. What a team performance.
Third quarter.
That's it. Can't even pot the umpiring.

bornadog
16-08-2015, 07:16 PM
Bankers

Dahl - he is so tenacious. Top performance

forward line - lethal

Bonti - followed around by Vince but still gets 3 goals

Anchors

third quarter

F'scary
16-08-2015, 07:54 PM
B: Team performance for quarters 1, 2 & 4.

A: two things.

1. Team performance for quarter 3. We have seen this before. We need to learn to not get sucked into playing on at all costs when the other side throws it up to us. We should have slowed the game down until we got our mettle back.

2. Should have put Caleb Daniel on after 10 minutes into the 3rd quarter when it was obvious we needed an injection of something around the ball.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
16-08-2015, 09:27 PM
B
Boyd, Biggs,Bonts

A
A bad third quarter

LostDoggy
16-08-2015, 10:37 PM
B: Team performance for quarters 1, 2 & 4.

A: two things.

1. Team performance for quarter 3. We have seen this before. We need to learn to not get sucked into playing on at all costs when the other side throws it up to us. We should have slowed the game down until we got our mettle back.

2. Should have put Caleb Daniel on after 10 minutes into the 3rd quarter when it was obvious we needed an injection of something around the ball.

Agree that we seem far too reluctant to use the sub until the absolute last minute.

Bankers:

1. J “The Man Of Many Nicknames” Grant. What. A. Game. Some of the stuff he did was magic.
2. What we did AFTER the third quarter. The way I saw it, we had Melbourne on the canvas, Roos pulled a few tactics at half time to try and wrest control back and we didn't adjust right away, but as soon as the group got a chance to regroup they turned it back around beautifully. So one banker to the coaching group.
3. Lukey the D. Great game.

Anchors:

1. Cross wearing the wrong guernsey.
2. My kids. Struggled with the double header.
3. Mike Fitzpatrick after the women's game with his “surprisingly tough” comments.

comrade
16-08-2015, 10:44 PM
B:

- Thought our back line was very good at setting up attacking thrusts and this will only improve with JJ's inclusion.
- Some really strong attack on the man/ball which a team like Melbourne just can't deal with. Jong, Picko and Boyd had standout moments.
- Bevo gets one for the respect shown to Brett Ratten in his presser. Was quite emotional when giving his condolences for the loss of Ratten's young son.

A:

- I got a bit shirty during the third.
- The pie I had at the footy was too hot.
- The exits down into the car parking is a shambles.

:D

LostDoggy
17-08-2015, 12:27 AM
Agree that we seem far too reluctant to use the sub until the absolute last minute.

Bankers:

1. J “The Man Of Many Nicknames” Grant. What. A. Game. Some of the stuff he did was magic.
2. What we did AFTER the third quarter. The way I saw it, we had Melbourne on the canvas, Roos pulled a few tactics at half time to try and wrest control back and we didn't adjust right away, but as soon as the group got a chance to regroup they turned it back around beautifully. So one banker to the coaching group.
3. Lukey the D. Great game.

Anchors:

1. Cross wearing the wrong guernsey.
2. My kids. Struggled with the double header.
3. Mike Fitzpatrick after the women's game with his “surprisingly tough” comments.

I cringed at that one too.

By the standards of ex-Carlton Captains he comes across as quite a dick, that's some achievement.

Archtypal really, hopelessly arrogant, entitled and out of touch.

whythelongface
17-08-2015, 07:17 AM
B:

- Thought our back line was very good at setting up attacking thrusts and this will only improve with JJ's inclusion.
- Some really strong attack on the man/ball which a team like Melbourne just can't deal with. Jong, Picko and Boyd had standout moments.
- Bevo gets one for the respect shown to Brett Ratten in his presser. Was quite emotional when giving his condolences for the loss of Ratten's young son.

A:

- I got a bit shirty during the third.
- The pie I had at the footy was too hot.
- The exits down into the car parking is a shambles.

:D

Sounds like a tough today at the footy :)

whythelongface
17-08-2015, 07:23 AM
Bankers:

- Biggs - run off half back was great to watch and set up so many attacks.
- Grant - 3 goals in the first quarter and two from set shots - well done. Was hopng he would bag 5 or 6.
- Stringer - this guy just has footy smarts - a brilliant player. Did he seriously go at no. 5/6 in the draft.

Ancbors

- Darley - got a fair few possessions but he must have turned the ball over half a dozen times. He will learn.
- 3rd qtr - very hard to maintain the way we were playing for 4 qtrs and it was a great effort to turn the tide around in the last but we need to be able to stop a team from potting 5 goals on the trot
- nothing else really

bornadog
17-08-2015, 08:56 AM
Bankers:

- Stringer - this guy just has footy smarts - a brilliant player. Did he seriously go at no. 5/6 in the draft.

And to think Melbourne preferred Jommy Toumpas at pick 4 :D

bulldogtragic
17-08-2015, 09:01 AM
And to think Melbourne preferred Jommy Toumpas at pick 4 :D

Was that on that 10 year list (I think GS posted the link) of why it's impossible being a Melbourne member? If not, it should be. :D

SonofScray
17-08-2015, 09:28 AM
Bankers:

Napoleon Dynamite! Wallis has been in exceptional form, winning the footy in close, getting outside the congestion for a good kick forward and also across half forward. Really making stuff happen for us. Long may it continue.

Spindleshanks - his Twitter bio reads "A dominant force looking to connect with other dominant forces." It is happening. Look out.

Redpath - had a quiet day in a lot of respects, struggled below the knees but still managed to work his way into the game and then hit the scoreboard when he had to. Ruck work was really solid as well, culminating in the big punch forward for Package's running goal late in the 4th.

Anchors:

ACG security / Etihad Stadium : I have hung a few flags from level 3 every home game this year, with no issues whatsoever. It is an important part of gamely for my family and the younger kids to demonstrate their passion for the club in this manner. We almost got through the whole season before ACG goons came to hassle us over it. We were forcefully told to take the banners down, initially without offering a reason. When questioned, the goon was aggressive and said "Because the Control Room said to." Extremely frustrating and no one wants to engage in the conversation at a deeper level than whatever fine print "management reserves the right to....." exists in the the entry T&Cs, if it gets challenging the threats and harassment starts. So much angst over it from the Stadium, over a small piece of fabric that is not interfering with anyones' view of the game. If people want to bemoan the lack of match day experience, it is summed up in our experience yesterday. They have clinically removed significant opportunities for fans to engage in the contest at any level beyond simply paying for the right to be present.

3rd qtr - no goals. could have been a disaster against a more competent team.

Paul Roos - boring, smug and boring.

bulldogtragic
17-08-2015, 09:35 AM
I'd seriously email the club to make them aware of this. If we get a ES final then we want the joint covered all over in our tribes colours.

Having worked alongside ACG and similar groups, whilst there are some good ones, there are more faux wanna be coppers who have zero communication skill, power hungry morons who think a red shirt and ear piece makes you Dirty Harry and who make more problems than they solve.

Daughter of the West
17-08-2015, 09:41 AM
Bankers:

Wallis - that start was fantastic, and he continued the hard work all game
Grant - just wow. That one handed intercept to goal was just beautiful
Foot on the throat football - it's really exciting to watch us absolutely bury teams

Anchors:

The third quarter - it made me very nervous, memories of the St KFC game came flooding back!
My sister - for turning up late and missing the first quarter magic
Me - for buying hot chips when I didn't really need or want them (and then didn't even finish them)

ledge
17-08-2015, 09:47 AM
B.. Don't underestimate Jack Redpath .. He is taking the main tall Backman, he is going in the ruck, he is releasing all the other forwards, he is smashing packs , players (even our own) and boundary umpires.
And when the opposition do start to release the Backman to our other forwards he starts kicking goals.
He presents up the ground and his ground kicking is impressive.

Campbell a big body and gets in the contest, very competitive and is also coming of age.

A. The bulldog womens team need to win for once and get on board.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
17-08-2015, 11:39 AM
Anchors:

ACG security / Etihad Stadium : I have hung a few flags from level 3 every home game this year, with no issues whatsoever. It is an important part of gamely for my family and the younger kids to demonstrate their passion for the club in this manner. We almost got through the whole season before ACG goons came to hassle us over it. We were forcefully told to take the banners down, initially without offering a reason. When questioned, the goon was aggressive and said "Because the Control Room said to." Extremely frustrating and no one wants to engage in the conversation at a deeper level than whatever fine print "management reserves the right to....." exists in the the entry T&Cs, if it gets challenging the threats and harassment starts. So much angst over it from the Stadium, over a small piece of fabric that is not interfering with anyones' view of the game. If people want to bemoan the lack of match day experience, it is summed up in our experience yesterday. They have clinically removed significant opportunities for fans to engage in the contest at any level beyond simply paying for the right to be present..

Were your flags covering or obstructing any advertising? That's the only legitimate reason I could think as to why the ground managers objected to it, other than if it were deemed a potential safety hazard.

Doc26
17-08-2015, 11:58 AM
Were your flags covering or obstructing any advertising? That's the only legitimate reason I could think as to why the ground managers objected to it, other than if it were deemed a potential safety hazard.

Can't imagine that there would be any spare space left in that stadium for us fans with the over the top barrage of sports bet advertising that we're being forced to endure.

Ozza
17-08-2015, 12:17 PM
Bankers:

Wallis - work rate is outstanding and just hates to lose a contest.
Dahlhaus - See above....and you can see how much he loves the club whenever he takes the field.
Biggs - The train robber has been a terrific addition to the team. Love how he is always looking to get us back into the corridor.

Anchors:

Darley - looked nervous. He looked like he was trying too hard to not make a mistake - that he ended up making mistakes.
Talia - Played well defensively, but held on to the footy too long at times, and needs to know his limitations and give off to the good users with his first option.
Dickson - for missing two shots at goal. He really needs to sit down with Grant and learn a thing or two about shooting for goal. :p

Mantis
17-08-2015, 12:24 PM
Dickson - for missing two shots at goal. He really needs to sit down with Grant and learn a thing or two about shooting for goal. :p

He had a serious brain fart when he tried the 'Stevie J' snap.. A player of his skill should have went with the stock standard drop punt.

KT31
17-08-2015, 12:35 PM
Bankers

Winning three games in a row by huge margins.

Hunters growth has been massive the last month.

Grant - starting to see what BT sees in him.

Anchors

Our third quarter.

Big Red and Jake for dropping easy marks in the third that could have stemmed the flow and resulted us in having a 100 plus win.

Darleys turn overs, although I thought he tried all day.

Ozza
17-08-2015, 12:52 PM
He had a serious brain fart when he tried the 'Stevie J' snap.. A player of his skill should have went with the stock standard drop punt.

It was unusual for Dickson, as he is usually a drop punt from anywhere sort of guy.

JohnGentStand
17-08-2015, 12:58 PM
B.
Wallis - career best form
Grant - career best form
Dahl - career best form

A.
3rd qtr, not giving 1st options and missing opportunities
Sam Darley had a poor game. JJ should slot straight back in.
Wood - still good, just not his AA good.

LostDoggy
17-08-2015, 01:05 PM
Bankers:

Napoleon Dynamite! Wallis has been in exceptional form, winning the footy in close, getting outside the congestion for a good kick forward and also across half forward. Really making stuff happen for us. Long may it continue.

Spindleshanks - his Twitter bio reads "A dominant force looking to connect with other dominant forces." It is happening. Look out.

Redpath - had a quiet day in a lot of respects, struggled below the knees but still managed to work his way into the game and then hit the scoreboard when he had to. Ruck work was really solid as well, culminating in the big punch forward for Package's running goal late in the 4th.

Anchors:

ACG security / Etihad Stadium : I have hung a few flags from level 3 every home game this year, with no issues whatsoever. It is an important part of gamely for my family and the younger kids to demonstrate their passion for the club in this manner. We almost got through the whole season before ACG goons came to hassle us over it. We were forcefully told to take the banners down, initially without offering a reason. When questioned, the goon was aggressive and said "Because the Control Room said to." Extremely frustrating and no one wants to engage in the conversation at a deeper level than whatever fine print "management reserves the right to....." exists in the the entry T&Cs, if it gets challenging the threats and harassment starts. So much angst over it from the Stadium, over a small piece of fabric that is not interfering with anyones' view of the game. If people want to bemoan the lack of match day experience, it is summed up in our experience yesterday. They have clinically removed significant opportunities for fans to engage in the contest at any level beyond simply paying for the right to be present.

3rd qtr - no goals. could have been a disaster against a more competent team.

Paul Roos - boring, smug and boring.
Let's pool our resources and buy the advertising space.

SonofScray
17-08-2015, 07:49 PM
Can't imagine that there would be any spare space left in that stadium for us fans with the over the top barrage of sports bet advertising that we're being forced to endure.

The area has been clear for 3 years. This week almost all of level three had in house signage promoting their free wifi. However, that was not the reason given. If it was, I wouldn't have found it satisfactory anyway. Heaven forbid a fan participate in the "experience" of the game and deny other fans the opportunity to see 45cm of signage that is repeated all the way around the stadium. The lack of free wifi for that one person unable to look left or right must have been terrible.

Year of the Fans. So long as you do as we say and gamble responsibly using our free wifi.

F'scary
17-08-2015, 08:57 PM
I've got another banker: Lin Jong. Was in and under regularly and also showed some of his customary "swoops" around the outside of the contested ball area - the two goals he kicked in particular. Will be a bonus if he can hit top form over the next few weeks.

Remi Moses
17-08-2015, 10:38 PM
Have you put yourself in the Anchors for picking the dees?

craigsahibee
17-08-2015, 11:55 PM
My bankers list will be made up of players who aren't household names and not necessarily the best on ground, but those that played their role.

Campbell. Thought his clearance and competitive work was excellent. He has had a good few weeks and is playing like he has a spot in the best 22.
Biggs. I'm still not sold, but over the last few weeks, each week is better than the previous one.
Grant. You are good enough Jarrad.

Darley is the only anchor for me. That performance has probably cost him a spot in the Finals (should we make it)

ratsmac
18-08-2015, 12:31 AM
Bankers

Forward line - brilliant to watch. When the ball hits the ground the Melbourne defence was in real trouble.
Midfield - breathtaking to watch. The speed that we moved to ball was unbelievable.
Defence - amazing to watch. So well organised. They kept their shape and structures really well. Professional outfit.

ANCHORS

Sorry Darley - sorry mate but you stunk it up. Way to many turn overs. He'd better hope JJ's hamstring needs another week.
Umps - some terrible non decisions in the 3rd. Redpath gets tackled while trying to lead with the umpire just watching.
Boyd - yeah yeah nice mark, but cmon mate leave the flashy stuff to The package! (I was really struggling for a third anchor)