PDA

View Full Version : Mulgrave Country Club as possible social venue for our supporters from across town

Eastdog
15-08-2015, 10:16 PM
I was thinking about this since hearing about the Edgewater plan falling through and thought that along with the Peninsula Club that having the Mulgrave Country Club as venue for us could benefit us as we also host the Legends and Young Guns dinner there as well organised the East West Club.

So Ill throw it open what do you think or is this just another idea with good intentions but will fall on deaf ears.

Remi Moses
15-08-2015, 10:32 PM
Umm I don't think so Easty. No offence mate but most of us would need Bronwyn Bishop's chopper to get there

Twodogs
15-08-2015, 11:32 PM
Yeah. Having a social venue an hours car drive from the ground might present some logistical issues. Our main social venue needs to be local to WHitten Oval. I think having another presence on the other side of town is a good idea though.

Eastdog
16-08-2015, 12:24 AM
Yeah. Having a social venue an hours car drive from the ground might present some logistical issues. Our main social venue needs to be local to WHitten Oval. I think having another presence on the other side of town is a good idea though.

Like what your saying Twodogs. Yes I think a Social venue at the Whitten Oval or in the inner west somewhere would be great along with one across town outside the traditional heartland where we also have passionate Doggies people.

jeemak
16-08-2015, 01:27 AM
Easty, a social club of sorts in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne might be a viable option for eastern suburbanites at some point, though I wouldn't have thought the cashed up bogans who have specifically bought houses in the Mulgrave area (Waverley Park Precinct) who, at the age of thirty and above, still have Johnny Platten posters in their marital bedrooms (trust me, they exist) would take too kindly to a Bulldogs set up right on their doorstep!

Right now the club has a strategy of consolidation in the west of Melbourne, with some diversification into Ballarat and I would expect the efforts surrounding social clubs would reflect that.

If a coterie group, or a supporter group was to set up a social hub in the east I would strongly suggest it be somewhere not clearly affiliated with another AFL club like the Mulgrave area.

Twodogs
16-08-2015, 02:12 AM
Easty, a social club of sorts in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne might be a viable option for eastern suburbanites at some point, though I wouldn't have thought the cashed up bogans who have specifically bought houses in the Mulgrave area (Waverley Park Precinct) who, at the age of thirty and above, still have Johnny Platten posters in their marital bedrooms (trust me, they exist) would take too kindly to a Bulldogs set up right on their doorstep!

Right now the club has a strategy of consolidation in the west of Melbourne, with some diversification into Ballarat and I would expect the efforts surrounding social clubs would reflect that.

If a coterie group, or a supporter group was to set up a social hub in the east I would strongly suggest it be somewhere not clearly affiliated with another AFL club like the Mulgrave area.

Hawthorn, and other clubs, have set up presences in the west in places tradionally associated with the bulldogs so setting up a club somewhere in the East mightn't be the worse idea. We've gotta put our pokies somewhere.

jeemak
16-08-2015, 02:26 AM
Hawthorn, and other clubs, have set up presences in the west in places tradionally associated with the bulldogs so setting up a club somewhere in the East mightn't be the worse idea. We've gotta put our pokies somewhere.

The reason why they set up clubs in the west is because lower socio-economic areas have a higher tendency towards patronising gaming venues of that nature.

Even if the west is flooded with gaming venues the club is probably more likely to turn a profit in the region than it is in the east.

LostDoggy
16-08-2015, 02:41 AM
Have you been out to Mulgrave lately? :)

jeemak
16-08-2015, 03:14 AM
Have you been out to Mulgrave lately? :)

Aside from the occasional visit, not since growing up there.