PDA

View Full Version : Who's Played Themselves Into A Final?

LostDoggy
17-08-2015, 01:29 AM
Was just thinking about the make-up of our team for the finals.

Who is a lock and what positions are up for grabs?

Presuming Libba, Stevens, McLean & Smith are still unavailable, but everyone else is healthy and played into something like their best form, what does our ideal team look like?

For arguments sake, I've had a go at selecting a team. I've got 17 spots filled and 5 yet to be finalised:

Key Defenders (2): HAMLING is in, with the other spot between Talia and Roberts (Z.Cordy, Roughy as, erm, roughies).

Mid/Small Defenders (6): I reckon we've got 6 certain starters here to fill 4 spots (2 start on the bench?): MORRIS, BOYD, JJ, WOOD, MURPHY, BIGGS.

Midfield group (9 spots): My 7 certainties are WALLIS, BONT, PICKEN, DAHL, MACRAE, GRANT, HUNTER. Leading candidates for last 2 spots; Daniel, Jong, Hrovat, Honeychurch, Prudden, Dale, Darley any others?)

Mid Forwards (3): No brainers; STRINGER, CRAMERI, DICKSON.

Key Forward/Back Up Ruck (1): Up for grabs. Redpath staking a fair claim but still fancy Boyd has slightly the more to offer. Under normal circustances no room for both, so this is one of the more intriguing choices to come.

Ruck (1): Campbell almost over the line as an automatic selection but can't ignore Roughy in the wings. If he's not first Ruck but is in good form, does he go back to defence or go to the bench as a tall back up utility. Surely he can't miss out?

Discuss.

bulldogtragic
17-08-2015, 08:58 AM
I'm with best form. It's been working all year and the side on the weekend with Boyd and JJ is pretty good. Hrovat or Honey would look at Daniels spot. Roughead for Redpath is form is good. Just good form to tinker or cover injury.

Except Grant. He plays no matter what.:)

G-Mo77
17-08-2015, 09:48 AM
In regards to Libba. Saw him walking around on Saturday, there is no way he'll be playing at all.

Mofra
17-08-2015, 10:33 AM
Isn't Stevens a chance for finals?
He's best 22 when fit - especially with Libba out.

Biggs is certainly staking his claim and with Roberts battling injury Hamling has become our form KPD

Mantis
17-08-2015, 10:58 AM
Some tough decisions to be made over the next few weeks.. Would like to get another look at Hrovat, Roughy, Roberts, Honeychurch and Boyd before the year is out, but time is running out... Hopefully Stevens and McLean get back too.

A good place to be in with lots of viable options.

always right
17-08-2015, 12:40 PM
Who would have thought at the beginning of the season that Roughy wasn't a lock in our best 22? I think Talia is probably the most vulnerable out of the key defenders if that's where we think Roughy will play but he's doing a fine job standing the big forwards while our running defenders do their stuff. Difficult at this stage to see Roughy replace Campbell whose last two weeks have been very good.

I understand the temptation to bring Boyd in for Redpath but I really like what Redpath has brought to our team. In fact the only advantage Boyd has over him is being a bail out option in the square. Even though Redpath lets himself down on occasions, he is way ahead of Boyd when it comes to work rate, forward pressure, a leading option, and intimidation.....and he's really competitive in the ruck.

whythelongface
17-08-2015, 01:33 PM
Boyd and Roughy pose the biggest questions for our selectors.

If we bring Boyd in the only option seems to be a direct replacement for Redpath, however our forward structure seems to be really working well as a unit (with Redpath at the moment) and, for mine, it would seem illogical to change this set up. Whilst Redpath doesn't dominate he creates space for the others. The only alternative would be to play both Boyd and Redpath, but at whose expense?

As for Roughy - he can play back, forward and ruck and to me is important to the structure of the team. There is no one else who can play this role in the team and therefore he would be an important component for us as we head into the finals.

Thus in regards to the OP I would have the following 22

Defenders HAMLING and TALIA (or ROBERTS) - depending on form between Talia and Roberts
Mid size defenders MORRIS, BOYD, JJ, WOOD, MURPHY, BIGGS.
Midfield WALLIS, BONT, PICKEN, DAHL, MACRAE, GRANT, HUNTER
Mid Forwards STRINGER, CRAMERI, DICKSON.
Key Forward/Back Up Ruck: REDPATH and ROUGHEAD
Ruck : CAMPBELL

That's 21 with the 22 player to come from either Daniel, Jong or Stevens (no brainer if fit).

We have plenty of options to rotate players through the midfield including JJ, Stringer and Crameri.

Flamethrower
17-08-2015, 01:47 PM
Tall power forwards and contested footy beasts win finals.

Flighty outside mids and small half forwards go missing in September unless they are elite.

I would have Koby Stevens and Lin Jong in ahead of Lachie Hunter/Mitch Honeychurch/Caleb Daniel/Nathan Hrovat/Bailey Dale for that reason. If we could find a way to fit Tom Boyd and Jack Redpath into the team that would be to our advantage on the big stage at the MCG.

I would have Jordan Roughead in the team because of his versatility - he can take a monster power forward, pinch hit in the ruck and play across half forward. The question becomes can we fit Rough, Campbell, TBoyd & Redpath in the one side.

It's a shame we can only play 22 - we have about 30 players who deserve a game. It will all come down to form & match ups.

LostDoggy
17-08-2015, 04:07 PM
Isn't Stevens a chance for finals?
He's best 22 when fit - especially with Libba out.

Biggs is certainly staking his claim and with Roberts battling injury Hamling has become our form KPD

Stevens is listed at 3-4 weeks away on the injury list.

He has a heel, so won't have been running and will need at least a week at Footscray you would think.

Heels are tricky too.

He's unlikely to be under consideration, at least for the early finals.