PDA

View Full Version : New TV Rights Deal

bulldogtragic
18-08-2015, 08:52 AM
Caroline Wilson last night said the new TV rights deal is about done.

Key things:

Same networks
Same time slots
Thursday Nights
Good Friday, not set in stone
6 years
$2,000,000,000

They should pay out all debts from all clubs and set them up to self sustain for the future.

Also, the AFL Players will go very hard for increased salaries. If that significantly increases the salary cap, then the BS about us overpaying Boyd and cap pressure will be that, BS. We could keep the list and get more talent.

ReLoad
18-08-2015, 09:33 AM
ok, so AFL, here is your big chance, a chance to pay us back for the way you have scheduled us over the last 4 years.

Ill put it out there, give us 8 Thursday night games and make that our own, "Bulldog Thursdays"

The way we are playing ratings will go through the roof, we can finally all have a stable and normal timeslot and whats better you can still have your precious Friday nights for your stale, boring old defunct Calrtons and Essendons of the world.

How bout it AFL?

Bulldog Joe
18-08-2015, 10:19 AM
It will be interesting to see how they program Thursday games with the potential for 5 day breaks.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
18-08-2015, 10:48 AM

Key things:

Same networks
Same time slots
Thursday Nights
Good Friday, not set in stone
6 years
$2,000,000,000

They should pay out all debts from all clubs and set them up to self sustain for the future.

Also, the AFL Players will go very hard for increased salaries. If that significantly increases the salary cap, then the BS about us overpaying Boyd and cap pressure will be that, BS. We could keep the list and get more talent.

Not sure it would work like that. If they AFLPA argued lets say a 10% increase in salaries and cap.. then existing players would get that rolled into their current contracts.

comrade
18-08-2015, 11:11 AM
Poor Boydy, will be on the average wage by the end of his contract :D

azabob
18-08-2015, 11:12 AM
Poor Boydy, will be on the average wage by the end of his contract :D

Ala Lynch and his ten year, million dollar deal at Brisbane.

Bulldog Joe
18-08-2015, 11:25 AM
Not sure it would work like that. If they AFLPA argued lets say a 10% increase in salaries and cap.. then existing players would get that rolled into their current contracts.

I don't think that would occur.
The AFLPA will negotiate the Total Player Payment and this will provide the new salary cap.

The clubs will then factor that into new contract negotiations.
It would be clear that long term contracts would have been made (such as Buddy and Boyd) with a clear expectation that the salary cap would rise throughout those contracts and reduce the percentage of the salary cap that those contracts use up.

Throughandthrough
18-08-2015, 01:19 PM
Has often been reported that the Buddy/Boyd super deals were written on expectation of big increases in the salary cap

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
18-08-2015, 01:53 PM
I don't think that would occur.
The AFLPA will negotiate the Total Player Payment and this will provide the new salary cap.

The clubs will then factor that into new contract negotiations.
It would be clear that long term contracts would have been made (such as Buddy and Boyd) with a clear expectation that the salary cap would rise throughout those contracts and reduce the percentage of the salary cap that those contracts use up.

Okay I would've thought that contract would've been written with conditions that any subsequent wage rises as negotiated by the AFLPA would be automatically adjusted into the contract. Especially as in these discussions, the AFLPA are saying they will play hardball to get a % of total revenue in their next wage negotiation.

Twodogs
18-08-2015, 02:21 PM
It's a good question. I would have thought a contract is a contract is a contract. i reckon whoever looked at it from Tom's end would have thought to add a rider covering increases negotiated by the ALPA. Ultimately I have no idea though because I have never signed a multi million dollar contract.

Sedat
18-08-2015, 03:19 PM

Key things:

Same networks
Gutted by this point. Footy fans deserve so much more quality from the main broadcaster than the utter tripe that is served up by Ch 7.

Bulldog Joe
18-08-2015, 03:48 PM
Gutted by this point. Footy fans deserve so much more quality from the main broadcaster than the utter tripe that is served up by Ch 7.

But is it actually any worse than when it was delivered by Channels 9 and 10.
Plenty of the commentators are the same people.

bornadog
18-08-2015, 04:03 PM

Let alone the tripe quality of the picture ie SD and not HD

ledge
18-08-2015, 04:51 PM
Weren't they going to push for full HD ?

bornadog
18-08-2015, 05:11 PM
Weren't they going to push for full HD ?

Should be pushing for 4k

Flamethrower
18-08-2015, 08:23 PM
Kerry Stokes has announced that beginning in 2017, ALL games on channel 7 will be broadcast in HD.

Any truth to the rumour that 3 weeks ago the deal was for $1 billion. Then Kerry Stokes saw our games against Essendon and Melbourne on his network, and said offer 'em $2.5b - I want the Bont and the Package on our network!!!

bulldogtragic
18-08-2015, 09:15 PM
Foxtel can sell one game a week. Possibly Saturday 3.20 games to channel 10.

Sedat
18-08-2015, 09:36 PM
But is it actually any worse than when it was delivered by Channels 9 and 10.
Plenty of the commentators are the same people.
There have been annoying commentators on all other networks in the past, but Ch 7 are in a league of their own when it comes to offering up the most inept, lowest common denominator levels of game 'analysis'. And Standard Definition in 2015? Embarrassing.

Webby
18-08-2015, 10:35 PM
By my reckoning, the rights are moving from $250m odd per year to $415 odd.

That is an enormous jump! I'd expect that equates to around an extra $8M p.a in revenue for each club. That will have to mean a 40% odd increase in the salary cap. It'd mean Tom Boyd will soon be the 5th or 6th highest player on our list. It means that we will be able to reward the Dahlhauses, Bonts, Stringers etc. really puts a new shade of light on the shrewdness of the Boyd deal.

Look at our club since our 'debacle' in Nov 2014:
Convinced (perhaps subliminally!) past his peak trade bait captain with bad back to agree to trade to tiny club with huge trade bait
Shrewdly bought perhaps best young tall talent in Australia in return
Traded Liam Jones to Carlton, using pick to draft Caleb Daniel
Let minnow club take Tutt
Convinced coach to resign and recruited young genius coach, Luke Beveridge
Drafted McLean, Webb, Hamilton, Dale & Z Cordy
Nabbed Hamling and Biggs for basically nothing
Moved on Garlick and appointed Nike executive as CEO
Made Bob Murphy captain
Rookie drafter Roarke Smith
Fenced Whitten Oval and upgraded viewing facilities
Hosted NAB Cup game at WO and packed it out
Hosted another in Ballarat
Sold record 36,000 memberships
Made finals - fearing no one

Have best young list in AFL - at point when new TV deal will bring huge salary cap increase

How many Essendon and Carlton fans were calling us a basket case 6 months ago?!

bulldogtragic
18-08-2015, 10:40 PM
[/QUOTE]
How many Essendon and Carlton fans were calling us a basket case 6 months ago?![/QUOTE]

To be fair to those clubs, we were. And those 'fans' either microwaved their memberships and/or no longer identify with those bottom feeder clubs or follow AFL any more. :D

hujsh
19-08-2015, 12:02 AM
Should be pushing for 4k

I doubt it'd be worth it for anyone.

Hotdog60
19-08-2015, 06:30 AM
TV suggesting twilight games draw the biggest ratings and are suggesting at the GF become a twilight game. The reports are watch this space.
If that happens and the AFL break tradition I hope that the stadium is empty with zero atmosphere. But yes good ratings because everyone is at home watching.

LostDoggy
19-08-2015, 07:04 AM
The free to air games per week has dropped from 4 to 3.5. This is a blow for clubs like ours.

bornadog
19-08-2015, 09:32 AM
TV suggesting twilight games draw the biggest ratings and are suggesting at the GF become a twilight game. The reports are watch this space.
If that happens and the AFL break tradition I hope that the stadium is empty with zero atmosphere. But yes good ratings because everyone is at home watching.

Unless we are playing

bulldogsthru&thru
19-08-2015, 11:13 AM
The free to air games per week has dropped from 4 to 3.5. This is a blow for clubs like ours.

It might go up though if the new 3:20pm saturday game is on-sold to channel 10. This game would also be live i think

bornadog
19-08-2015, 12:23 PM
Kerry Stokes has announced that beginning in 2017, ALL games on channel 7 will be broadcast in HD.

He said they are trying to get HD up for 2016 if they can.

Ozza
19-08-2015, 01:08 PM
2.5 Bill.

"WOWEE"

I look forward to many years of mic'd up players grunting a few times and Lingy and Darce saying "That's great ACCESS"
Dwayne Russell barracking for the home team in the interstate games.
And the sunday coverage finishing IMMEDIATELY after the final siren because we couldn't possibly start the news 90 seconds late (even though every other show on TV seems to start 10-15 minutes after the scheduled time due to the reality show preceding it.

Eastdog
19-08-2015, 02:00 PM
Live footy really has its pros and cons.

One Pro in that as a few woofers have stated it increases revenue for clubs which is a very good thing for us

One Con it leads to lower crowd attendances at the games as people might choose to watch it live at home

craigsahibee
19-08-2015, 03:13 PM
By my reckoning, the rights are moving from $250m odd per year to $415 odd.

That is an enormous jump! I'd expect that equates to around an extra $8M p.a in revenue for each club. That will have to mean a 40% odd increase in the salary cap. It'd mean Tom Boyd will soon be the 5th or 6th highest player on our list. It means that we will be able to reward the Dahlhauses, Bonts, Stringers etc. really puts a new shade of light on the shrewdness of the Boyd deal.

Look at our club since our 'debacle' in Nov 2014:
Convinced (perhaps subliminally!) past his peak trade bait captain with bad back to agree to trade to tiny club with huge trade bait
Shrewdly bought perhaps best young tall talent in Australia in return
Traded Liam Jones to Carlton, using pick to draft Caleb Daniel
Let minnow club take Tutt
Convinced coach to resign and recruited young genius coach, Luke Beveridge
Drafted McLean, Webb, Hamilton, Dale & Z Cordy
Nabbed Hamling and Biggs for basically nothing
Moved on Garlick and appointed Nike executive as CEO
Made Bob Murphy captain
Rookie drafter Roarke Smith
Fenced Whitten Oval and upgraded viewing facilities
Hosted NAB Cup game at WO and packed it out
Hosted another in Ballarat
Sold record 36,000 memberships
Made finals - fearing no one

Have best young list in AFL - at point when new TV deal will bring huge salary cap increase

How many Essendon and Carlton fans were calling us a basket case 6 months ago?!

This :D

Stefcep
19-08-2015, 04:48 PM
NRL is basically a made for TV product. Their game day attendances are pitiful. I get the feeling that AFL with the emphasis on twilight games is heading that way. I mean, why would the TV networks care about ground advertising to 35,000 as apposed to 20,000, when they measure ratings in the hundreds of thousands on TV? If you can watch a game live no matter where you are, I can see the ground attendances dropping.

Eastdog
19-08-2015, 06:10 PM
NRL is basically a made for TV product. Their game day attendances are pitiful. I get the feeling that AFL with the emphasis on twilight games is heading that way. I mean, why would the TV networks care about ground advertising to 35,000 as apposed to 20,000, when they measure ratings in the hundreds of thousands on TV? If you can watch a game live no matter where you are, I can see the ground attendances dropping.

You just hope that it doesn't affects the crowds but I just get impression it does. The live games from a long time ago were interstate and the games in your state were delayed as you had the ability to go to them. While lots of people do watch a lot of games apart from their team there is also a lot that just mainly watch there team and wouldn't sit down and watch other games.

LostDoggy
20-08-2015, 09:18 PM

I don't get it, personally, you get so much more of a view at the game. You can see the whole gameplan in place, not just the ball carrier/whatever has caught the commentators attention.

Ozza
21-08-2015, 12:57 PM
I don't get it, personally, you get so much more of a view at the game. You can see the whole gameplan in place, not just the ball carrier/whatever has caught the commentators attention.

Yeah I'm in the same boat. I find it very frustrating watching on tv, and never feel like I have a great idea of what is happening strategically.

As a result, when watching on tv I tend to carry on like a lunatic - whereas it takes me far more to fire up when at the game where you can see things unfolding.

Bulldog Joe
21-08-2015, 01:13 PM
For me the game day experience does give a much better view of what is happening.

Yet you still miss some things that you get from the TV coverage.
I really enjoy going to the game and then watching the replay.

That has been fun this year.

Mantis
21-08-2015, 01:23 PM
As a result, when watching on tv I tend to carry on like a lunatic - whereas it takes me far more to fire up when at the game where you can see things unfolding.

I wanted to kick the TV in during the 3rd quarter against Geelong.

Twodogs
21-08-2015, 02:30 PM
For me the game day experience does give a much better view of what is happening.

Yet you still miss some things that you get from the TV coverage.
I really enjoy going to the game and then watching the replay.

That has been fun this year.

I like that there is coverage at the ground on the scoreboards too. Being short sighted sometimes I can't get a proper view of what's happening 100 metres away so watching on the screen can be handy.
Sometimes it disorienting though if you think the ball is at the other end of the ground and you look down its at actually right in front if you!

I wanted to kick the TV in during the 3rd quarter against Geelong.

Mmmm. TV, smashed windows, car roofs, garage doors, radios have all fallen victim to bulldog related random violence on my part.