PDA

View Full Version : Please Don't Wear Red

Scraggers
18-08-2015, 11:43 AM

To the esteemed members of our jury. This is my whole case ... I hate this jumper!! I much prefer the white away strip. Please don't wear red this Sunday against the Weasels!!

If the fact that I hate this strip is not reason enough ... I present exhibit A and B

Exhibit A

Exhibit B

I don't have facts and figures regarding our win/loss ratio in this jumper ... I just hate the red !!

In summing up, it’s the constitution, it’s Mabo, it’s justice, it’s law, it’s the vibe, and…no that’s it…it’s the vibe. I rest my case.

Twodogs
18-08-2015, 12:04 PM
I like red.

1eyedog
18-08-2015, 12:05 PM
I hate the white, we look like a bunch of old skool umpires running around out there. It just doesn't look like a footy strip. What are we going to do?

Twodogs
18-08-2015, 12:07 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vKj4upY1VYI

bornadog
18-08-2015, 12:09 PM
I like red.

Better than white

I hate the white, we look like a bunch of old skool umpires running around out there. It just doesn't look like a footy strip. What are we going to do?

Agree

We need a total new look, surely someone can design something nice, or what is wrong with the normal jumper with white shorts.

Twodogs
18-08-2015, 12:15 PM
Better than white

I meant generally.

chef
18-08-2015, 12:22 PM
Red is horrible, makes us look like one of those crappy EPL teams;)

Scraggers
18-08-2015, 12:26 PM
I like red.

Noooooooooo ... Say its not true !!!

bornadog
18-08-2015, 01:02 PM
Red is horrible, makes us look like one of those crappy EPL teams;)

That team just needs to add blue and they will be right. :D

Greystache
18-08-2015, 01:05 PM
Can't recall us ever playing well in red. I like the white, if we need a clash jumper wear the white!

craigsahibee
18-08-2015, 01:06 PM
Sadly, we may also be forced to wear it the following week against Norf.

bornadog
18-08-2015, 01:11 PM
Although I am not a fan of either white or red, as long as we win I don't care.

BornInDroopSt'54
18-08-2015, 01:31 PM
Love the red, really powerful. Red is the number one advertising colour, a la Coke and red Ducatis. Red is part of our tricolours and red is our colour. No superstitions to rule out our colour please.
Red is the colour of alert, the colour of the bullseye. Red can tell our players where our targets are.
When you think Bulldog, think red. :cool:

Sedat
18-08-2015, 01:39 PM
I love the red jumper as well. And it's about time we shatter the myth about not playing well in the red jumper once and for all, hopefully starting with this weekend.

I don't mind the white jumper either. I'm so ambivalent when it comes to what we are wearing - I just want it to be completely different from the opposition.

Murphy'sLore
18-08-2015, 01:50 PM
Love the white, hate the red. It just doesn't look right. The white is an elegant and simple solution to a problem that mostly doesn't even exist.

Twodogs
18-08-2015, 02:22 PM
Come on the Re-eds!

Cyberdoggie
18-08-2015, 02:25 PM
I don't mind the red, my issue with it is that the red looks a bit pinkish, especially on the tv.

Needs to be more like the Sydney red which looks red.

White jumper is awful.

whythelongface
18-08-2015, 02:25 PM
I am a red man as well. Although I concur that we never play well in red. Ah well always a time to set the record straight.

bornadog
18-08-2015, 02:27 PM
Come on the Re-eds!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWLLMrQLEXE

dadsgirl16
18-08-2015, 02:29 PM
I am in the white corner..hate the red

Murphy'sLore
18-08-2015, 02:33 PM
This thread is crying out for a poll, surely?

bornadog
18-08-2015, 02:35 PM
This thread is crying out for a poll, surely?

I would say it is 50/50

Webby
18-08-2015, 02:36 PM
I love the red and have never warmed to the white. Matter of taste, i guess!

I've also noticed we rarely play well in white. Melbourne at the MCG this year seemed a typical example. I hope we wear red at Subiaco this weekend!

Ozza
18-08-2015, 03:15 PM
The only time I can recall us winning in the red is a pre-season game v Hawthorn.
Two weeks in a row of the red jumper could de-rail the season!!

Remi Moses
18-08-2015, 03:16 PM
1st world problems

Remi Moses
18-08-2015, 03:17 PM

What a magnificent moment .
Unfortunately I turned the TV off late in the second half and went back to bed

Cyberdoggie
18-08-2015, 03:34 PM
1st world problems

Could be worse,

We could have the Hawks disco shirt clash jumper

Ghost Dog
18-08-2015, 03:48 PM
Red sucks. White sucks. New Design needed.

I will say that Jake Stringer can wear a potato sack for all I care as long as he keeps kicking goals.

Ghost Dog
18-08-2015, 03:49 PM

Could be worse,

We could have the Hawks disco shirt clash jumper

Is that a Power Ranger? Classic! Hahahah
Hawthorn have a proud tradition of shite jumpers, that's well documented. The camo one was truly god awful.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
18-08-2015, 04:26 PM
The red jumper is cursed I tells ya cursed

jeemak
18-08-2015, 05:00 PM
I like the white. It's how a clash strip should be.

The red strip just doesn't look right to me.

Rocket Science
18-08-2015, 05:16 PM
Can't abide the all-white, for us or anyone else. Call me old school but still think tennis getup looks vapid on a football field.

As for the red, it's a radioactive eyesore and too dramatic a departure from our fine traditional colours.

Here's a little something I knocked together. Have oft wondered why we don't just run with this for away games, matched to white shorts.

http://i.imgur.com/YO4yTHL.jpg

Simple, honours the strip, and does the job I think.

Twodogs
18-08-2015, 05:20 PM

Not those reds!

bornadog
18-08-2015, 05:46 PM
Not those reds!

Don't worry this is me:

http://fanchants.co.uk/football-songs/arsenal-chants/arsenal-till-i-die-3418/

and

http://fanchants.co.uk/football-songs/arsenal-chants/come-on-arsenal/

LostDoggy
18-08-2015, 06:40 PM
I'm not overly fussed, but if we wear red, I'd ditch the matching shorts. The all red is just ugly overkill.

boydogs
18-08-2015, 08:05 PM

I like that, nice work

F'scary
18-08-2015, 08:54 PM
As long as it is hoopy and has our tri-colour, that's all that matters to me.

AndrewP6
18-08-2015, 09:32 PM
I hate the red, don't mind the white. Hate the red.

Did I mention I hate the red?

BulldogBelle
19-08-2015, 08:18 AM
Love the white, hate the red. It just doesn't look right. The white is an elegant and simple solution to a problem that mostly doesn't even exist.

Agree with you. Red just does not look right!

bornadog
19-08-2015, 09:29 AM
We could go back to 1886

http://www.bomberblitz.com/mero/images/Footscray-Uniform-1886.gif

SonofScray
19-08-2015, 09:55 AM
The 3 jumpers we have are fantastic.

I love the all red get up, red jumper, shorts and socks. I love the white get up as well. They are absolutely perfect clash strips when matched against appropriate opposition.

Blue strip - all home games
White - Demons, Freo, Essendon, Adelaide, Brisbane away
Red - West Coast, Geelong, Collingwood, North and Carlton away

Dancin' Douggy
19-08-2015, 11:04 AM
Yeah, I like that Rocket Science. But I also don't mind any of our strips. At least they are all traditional looking strips, just a rotation of the colours. I hate swoops, fades, Military Camouflage (where the hell does THAT come from) Cartoon characters etc etc. But I could definitely live with this design. Another design I reckon would work as an away strip, is an all black jumper, with a red and a blue hoop. Just like the white strip, but using Black instead of white. Would look a lot more menacing. I'd mock one up but I'm a computer caveman.

Dancin' Douggy
19-08-2015, 11:05 AM
Can't abide the all-white, for us or anyone else. Call me old school but still think tennis getup looks vapid on a football field.

As for the red, it's a radioactive eyesore and too dramatic a departure from our fine traditional colours.

Here's a little something I knocked together. Have oft wondered why we don't just run with this for away games, matched to white shorts.

Simple, honours the strip, and does the job I think.

Yeah, I like that Rocket Science. But I also don't mind any of our strips. At least they are all traditional looking strips, just a rotation of the colours. I hate swoops, fades, Military Camouflage (where the hell does THAT come from) Cartoon characters etc etc. But I could definitely live with this design. Another design I reckon would work as an away strip, is an all black jumper, with a red and a blue hoop. Just like the white strip, but using Black instead of white. Would look a lot more menacing. I'd mock one up but I'm a computer caveman.

Dancin' Douggy
19-08-2015, 11:07 AM
We could go back to 1886

http://www.bomberblitz.com/mero/images/Footscray-Uniform-1886.gif

Hmmmm. The belt doesn't match the boots, otherwise, this is very fetching.

craigsahibee
19-08-2015, 11:57 AM

I don't mind this Central Districts style we wore once or twice during the old Tuesday Night Comp back in the 80's

Jeanette54
19-08-2015, 11:58 AM
Sadly, we may also be forced to wear it the following week against Norf.

You would have to be joking (I hope). Red, white and blue horizontal stripes vs blue and white vertical stripes.

If the players genuinely can't tell the difference then its going to get awfully crowded out there. 44 players and 44 guide dogs will be fairly confusing.

bornadog
19-08-2015, 12:13 PM
I remember when we played in Darwin Rocket liked the white strip as it was easy for our players to pick up each other.

craigsahibee
19-08-2015, 12:14 PM
Grey anyone?

Or is it too close to the disastrous Man Utd strip of the mid 90's.

I should get back to work.

craigsahibee
19-08-2015, 12:15 PM
Not meant for the Norf game. Just a design I liked back in the day as an alternative.

bornadog
19-08-2015, 12:16 PM
Grey anyone?

http://www.woof.net.au/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=656&stc=1

Or is it too close to the disastrous Man Utd strip of the mid 90's.

I should get back to work.

Mate, that is a shocker :D

bornadog
19-08-2015, 12:18 PM

I love the all red get up, red jumper, shorts and socks. I love the white get up as well. They are absolutely perfect clash strips when matched against appropriate opposition.

Did you know the 2015 regular jumper has been slightly altered this year. The hoops have been made lower on the jumper. Pretty sure the hoops have also been lowered on red and white versions.

Doc26
19-08-2015, 12:30 PM

I couldn't agree me. Loathed the previous RoboDog but these 3 are all top notch.

I won't vote on this poll because it doesn't provide an option for the mix that you've appropriately mentioned.

Ozza
19-08-2015, 12:36 PM
We are lucky that all three jumpers we have look good and have the same design - with just colours moved around.

The clubs that go with a different design altogether, like Melbourne & Hawthorn for instance - look terrible.

Agree with an earlier post - that our white jumper is exactly what a clash jumper should be. Same design, but just with the predominant colour being white.

Ghost Dog
19-08-2015, 05:00 PM
We are lucky that all three jumpers we have look good and have the same design - with just colours moved around.

The clubs that go with a different design altogether, like Melbourne & Hawthorn for instance - look terrible.

Agree with an earlier post - that our white jumper is exactly what a clash jumper should be. Same design, but just with the predominant colour being white.

Adelaide are another club that has a pretty bad away jumper. Simple is best. I think the club did the best it could within the constraints with these designs. The red needs just a touch of black to make it a slightly darker shade. It stings the eyes looking at it.

bornadog
19-08-2015, 05:18 PM
Adelaide are another club that has a pretty bad away jumper. Simple is best. I think the club did the best it could within the constraints with these designs. The red needs just a touch of black to make it a slightly darker shade. It stings the eyes looking at it.

New for 2016

http://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/AdelaideCrows/Images/Clash2016620_620X370.jpg

The Underdog
19-08-2015, 06:15 PM
Essendon's grey away jumper is an abomination. They fight against an alternative jumper for years and choose one that nobody sane would wear. I'm more than happy with any of our jumpers. I certainly don't think it has anything to do with our record any more than we generally wear them at away grounds where we don't play as well as at Etihad.

Ghost Dog
19-08-2015, 06:16 PM
New for 2016

http://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/AdelaideCrows/Images/Clash2016620_620X370.jpg

Actually looks like a footy jumper and passes Sedat's 'Granny knitting' benchmark for a footy jumper.

SonofScray
19-08-2015, 06:19 PM
Did you know the 2015 regular jumper has been slightly altered this year. The hoops have been made lower on the jumper. Pretty sure the hoops have also been lowered on red and white versions.

I had noticed that BAD, only after someone mentioned it to me. The idea was to drop it just enough to get the numbers more clear on the back I believe. I think I prefer wider hoops, a bit higher up but I'm not too fussed by the change. I am protective of the hoops because it is a rare outcome of fans getting what they want in a time where we actually have very little influence over the game and the Club. I am proud of the Club for listening to us in returning the hoops and allowing a little bit of sentimentality into the product. The result of course, is fantastic.

No more cartoons, no more gimmick jumpers please. Just a long standing set of the hoops in our three club colours used at appropriate times.

bornadog
19-08-2015, 07:00 PM
I had noticed that BAD, only after someone mentioned it to me. The idea was to drop it just enough to get the numbers more clear on the back I believe. I think I prefer wider hoops, a bit higher up but I'm not too fussed by the change. I am protective of the hoops because it is a rare outcome of fans getting what they want in a time where we actually have very little influence over the game and the Club. I am proud of the Club for listening to us in returning the hoops and allowing a little bit of sentimentality into the product. The result of course, is fantastic.

No more cartoons, no more gimmick jumpers please. Just a long standing set of the hoops in our three club colours used at appropriate times.

Yes, I think the hoops should be a bit wider

We had this one in 2004 celebrating 50 years since the premiership.

http://www.bomberblitz.com/mero/images/Footscray-Heritage-2004.gif

GVGjr
19-08-2015, 07:05 PM
I remember when we played in Darwin Rocket liked the white strip as it was easy for our players to pick up each other.

Didn't the club spin it that it was cooler for the players?

bornadog
19-08-2015, 07:08 PM
Didn't the club spin it that it was cooler for the players?

Don't know about that one. It was more to do with poor lighting at the ground and white stood out.

The Underdog
22-08-2015, 11:32 PM
Sorry Scraggers, I just watched a very moving video of Danny Southern presenting Roarke Smith with his first jumper. It was red.

Webby
22-08-2015, 11:42 PM
Sorry Scraggers, I just watched a very moving video of Danny Southern presenting Roarke Smith with his first jumper. It was red.

Just on that Danny Southern jumper presentation... WOW! People here should seek it out. Well worth seeing.

LostDoggy
22-08-2015, 11:42 PM
That video was great. Brilliant that the club is documenting and sharing those moments with the fans.

1eyedog
23-08-2015, 12:48 AM
That was very moving DS.

Doc26
23-08-2015, 01:16 AM

Have long loved this bloke for giving everything he had for the red, white and blue. Like Moz in today's crop you always sensed he valued the team over anything else.

Scraggers
23-08-2015, 04:54 PM

Warming up in white shorts ????

Webby
23-08-2015, 05:11 PM
Either way gents (and ladies), hopefully we wear the red better than the Dees are doing it!!!

Rock bottom for them today!

LostDoggy
23-08-2015, 05:32 PM
I'm not overly fussed, but if we wear red, I'd ditch the matching shorts. The all red is just ugly overkill.

If people like the white shorts better, I'm claiming credit :) :)

Scraggers
23-08-2015, 05:34 PM
Bloody Red !!!

hujsh
23-08-2015, 08:23 PM
That's why you don't wear red

Scraggers
23-08-2015, 08:37 PM

Precisely !!

It's cursed ... Cursed I tell you

Rocket Science
23-08-2015, 08:40 PM

Burn it.

Burn it with fire.

Eastdog
23-08-2015, 10:29 PM
No more red. I don't mind the white but preferably id like to wear the blue mostly.

Twodogs
23-08-2015, 10:41 PM
1. Get all the red jumpers in existence.
2. Burn them with fire.
3. Dig a big pit.
3a When you think the pit is big enough, double the depth of it.
4. Put the ashes in the pit.
5. Pour more cement than you really need for the job on top of the ashes.
6. Compact it all down.
7. Add more cement.

KT31
23-08-2015, 10:49 PM
Obviously the boys had a huge issue with the red tops today as we seemed to handball or kick it straight to the blue jumpers to many times for it to be a coincidence.

SonofScray
23-08-2015, 10:51 PM
We should wear all red v North.

Scraggers
23-08-2015, 10:56 PM
2. Burn them with fire.
3. Dig a big pit.
6. Compact it all down.
7. Add more cement.

Rinse and repeat !!

BulldogBelle
23-08-2015, 11:26 PM
I prefer the red. We should have all red.

LostDoggy
23-08-2015, 11:31 PM
Maybe a couple of our guys were confused between the red guernseys and wearing the red vest today?

One or two of them seemed to think they were done for the day a little early.

Eastdog
23-08-2015, 11:43 PM
Ill tolerate the white strip for away games but really he should wear blue shorts for home games and white shorts for away games and have the blue strip mostly.

hujsh
24-08-2015, 12:31 AM
2. Burn them with fire.
3. Dig a big pit.
6. Compact it all down.
7. Add more cement.

Then we need to launch that slab of cement into space. Probably into the sun.

Rocket Science
24-08-2015, 11:00 AM
Then we need to launch that slab of cement into space. Probably into the sun.

...timing the launch so that when impacted, the sun ricochets into the nearest black hole.

via Wikipedia:

"A black hole is a geometrically defined region of spacetime exhibiting such strong gravitational effects that nothing — including particles, electromagnetic radiation such as light and even abominations like the all-red Bulldogs away strip — can escape from inside it."

That might just about do it.

Flamethrower
24-08-2015, 01:16 PM
No red this week. We are wearing our home jumper & shorts.I assume North will wear the same as Sunday v the Dockers.

SonofScray
24-08-2015, 07:38 PM
If we are going to have a red jumper and won't wear it in an away game v Norf, you have to question the value in having it available in the first place. I can't understand how across the AFL the idea of clash jerseys has been so difficult to get a handle on.

Eastdog
24-08-2015, 08:35 PM
If we are going to have a red jumper and won't wear it in an away game v Norf, you have to question the value in having it available in the first place. I can't understand how across the AFL the idea of clash jerseys has been so difficult to get a handle on.

North have quite a bit of white and in their jumper. We should just wear our blue strip with white shorts.

Webby
24-08-2015, 10:02 PM
It seems a lot of people hate the red and a lot of people hate the white.... So why don't we just wear a lighter shade of blue?
See attached. I can't see an issue with anyone of Carlton, Adelaide, Freo, Weagles, Melbourne or Geelong if we simply wear a lighter blue against them. I believe our jumpers were a lighter blue in the 1950's. No problem.

I recall wearing white against Essendon last year. To me that's a shocking overreach..658

bornadog
27-08-2015, 04:45 PM
JUMPER NEWS
Western Bulldogs Twitter Account has confirmed Bulldogs will wear their home jumpers against North Melbourne this Saturday at Etihad Stadium

Axe Man
27-08-2015, 06:02 PM
JUMPER NEWS
Western Bulldogs Twitter Account has confirmed Bulldogs will wear their home jumpers against North Melbourne this Saturday at Etihad Stadium

Our odds for this game have suddenly been slashed!

Scraggers
27-08-2015, 06:25 PM
JUMPER NEWS

I think they've been reading WOOF ... I'm proper famous now !!!! :)

SonofScray
27-08-2015, 07:22 PM
Should be wearing red. Not going to attend now.

(AIHL finals on over the road at the icehouse! Need to get a taste of finals glory before we have our tilt.)

bornadog
27-08-2015, 07:33 PM
Should be wearing red. Not going to attend now.

(AIHL finals on over the road at the icehouse! Need to get a taste of finals glory before we have our tilt.)

Get your priorities right son. :D

craigsahibee
28-08-2015, 12:26 PM
North have quite a bit of white and in their jumper. We should just wear our blue strip with white shorts.

No. Too much white on white clash there. If we wear our traditional blue guernsey, we must wear the blue shorts. Norf can stay in white shorts with their predominately white guernsey.

Rocket Science
28-08-2015, 04:07 PM
Just quietly, am pleased we've seen the back of these.

http://i.imgur.com/WNBwpdm.jpg

Let's face it, nobody likes okra.

Scraggers
28-08-2015, 06:34 PM
Just quietly, am pleased we've seen the back of these.

http://i.imgur.com/WNBwpdm.jpg

Let's face it, nobody likes okra.

Damn auto correct ... And good pick up too!!!

I personally love okra particularly in Gumbo (although they're bloody sticky when you cut them up)

Ochre Ochre Ochre Ochre Ochre

bulldogtragic
28-08-2015, 11:44 PM
Could they make us wear red in the first final? I hope not.

The Underdog
29-08-2015, 08:41 AM
I look forward to our side with Brett Goodes and Daniel Pearce in the 22, wearing red on the MCG in our first final.
Don't tell me it won't happen...

SonofScray
29-08-2015, 11:13 AM
I hope we do wear the red in the finals. You'll come to love it as it stands out as a striking feature of our (red)Path to the Flag.

LostDoggy
29-08-2015, 11:36 AM
Imagining Bob holding the Cup aloft in a red Guernsey v Eagles on Grand Final day...

Scraggers
29-08-2015, 12:54 PM
Imagining Bob holding the Cup aloft in a red Guernsey v Eagles on Grand Final day...

That act alone will have me loving the red jumper.

KT31
30-08-2015, 12:14 PM

If we had just won the flag and Bob was holding the cup aloft, I wouldn't care if he was in a gorilla suit.;)

NoseBleed
03-09-2015, 04:10 PM
FRom the WB facebook feed...

"We FACE-OFF against Brisbane on Saturday, no red guernseys, we'll be wearing WHITE."

bornadog
03-09-2015, 04:25 PM
FRom the WB facebook feed...

"We FACE-OFF against Brisbane on Saturday, no red guernseys, we'll be wearing WHITE."

Just as bad

LostDoggy
03-09-2015, 04:32 PM
Red against the Lions maroon would've been ridiculous.

bornadog
03-09-2015, 04:33 PM
Red against the Lions maroon would've been ridiculous.

How about Blue

LostDoggy
03-09-2015, 04:44 PM
How about Blue

From a purely visual contrast point of view, not much better to be honest. To me, maroon and a blue yoke is pretty similar to us with lots of bodies around the contest.

Scraggers
03-09-2015, 04:59 PM
I'll take white !!!

But I absolutely love the fact that Western Bulldog media department are telling us ... surely they've been reading this thread ????

We Hate Red We Hate Red We Hate Red We Hate Red We Hate Red We Hate Red We Hate Red We Hate Red We Hate Red We Hate Red We Hate Red We Hate Red We Hate Red We Hate Red We Hate Red We Hate Red We Hate Red We Hate Red We Hate Red We Hate Red We Hate Red We Hate Red We Hate Red We Hate Red We Hate Red We Hate Red We Hate Red We Hate Red We Hate Red We Hate Red We Hate Red We Hate Red We Hate Red We Hate Red We Hate Red We Hate Red We Hate Red We Hate Red We Hate Red We Hate Red ... I think they'll get the message !!

BulldogBelle
03-09-2015, 05:43 PM
I love the red and am very disappointed in you people who do not like it. Also I love the new Bulldog insignia.

We Love Red. We Love Red. We Love Red. We Love Red.

Red should be the first choice.

It will be a bad thing to try to force the administration to stick to blue only. The petition to go back to the hoops was bad enough.

Webby
03-09-2015, 08:36 PM
I don't know what the problem is with red. We won our first three flags in red back in 1898-1899-1900. Three from three in fact. It's our lucky colour! I wouldn't mind us wearing that one as our away jumper. It's our heritage and I think it looks good.

That said, I still think a lighter shade of blue would avoid clashes with everyone except North - against whom we can wear our normal Guernsey.

Scraggers
03-09-2015, 11:28 PM
I don't know what the problem is with red. We won our first three flags in red back in 1898-1899-1900. Three from three in fact. It's our lucky colour! I wouldn't mind us wearing that one as our away jumper. It's our heritage and I think it looks good.

That said, I still think a lighter shade of blue would avoid clashes with everyone except North - against whom we can wear our normal Guernsey.

Can you name the last game we won wearing red ?? It ain't lucky anymore !!

Webby
04-09-2015, 12:01 AM
Can you name the last game we won wearing red ?? It ain't lucky anymore !!

Quick stats:

The Bulldogs' worst all time win ratios away from home are against Geeelong at 20% and West Coast at 22%.
They are our worst two records away from home in 90 odd years of VFL/AFL football!
Guess which two teams we've worn red against this year?!

It's got nothing to do with the jumper. We're just as awful at Kardinia Park and Subiaco when wearing blue!

The only other time I can recall us wearing red was when we beat Hawthorn in the NAB Challenge last year.... Now if anything was a lucky turn up, that was it!

bornadog
04-09-2015, 09:50 AM
Quick stats:

The Bulldogs' worst all time win ratios away from home are against Geeelong at 20% and West Coast at 22%.
They are our worst two records away from home in 90 odd years of VFL/AFL football!
Guess which two teams we've worn red against this year?!

It's got nothing to do with the jumper. We're just as awful at Kardinia Park and Subiaco when wearing blue!

The only other time I can recall us wearing red was when we beat Hawthorn in the NAB Challenge last year.... Now if anything was a lucky turn up, that was it!

This was the jumper worn in 1898 to 1900

http://www.bomberblitz.com/mero/images/Footscray-1898.gif

Webby
04-09-2015, 10:13 AM
http://www.bomberblitz.com/mero/images/Footscray-1898.gif[/QUOTE]

Yep and we went 3 for 3 for premierships in the only 3 years in which we wore it. It's not a bad colour for us!

Greystache
04-09-2015, 11:15 AM
My eyes!

That's uglier than our current red jumper, and our current red jumper is awful!

Blue and white are enough and they both look good. I hope we never see the red again.

The Pie Man
04-09-2015, 11:40 AM
http://www.bomberblitz.com/mero/images/Footscray-1898.gif

Yep and we went 3 for 3 for premierships in the only 3 years in which we wore it. It's not a bad colour for us![/QUOTE]

This will divide opinion, but I don't mind that jumper - as strictly a clash strip...well without that line down the middle anyway (which I assume was laces?)

bornadog
04-09-2015, 11:51 AM
The Pie Man - Yep and we went 3 for 3 for premierships in the only 3 years in which we wore it. It's not a bad colour for us!.

This will divide opinion, but I don't mind that jumper - as strictly a clash strip...well without that line down the middle anyway (which I assume was laces?)

That jumper was designed over 115 years ago.

The Pie Man
04-09-2015, 12:28 PM
That jumper was designed over 115 years ago.

You don't mess with classics! *

(*Not actually claiming that is a classic - but classic designs are often the best)

LostDoggy
30-11-2015, 07:31 PM
http://shop.westernbulldogs.com.au/search.php?q=WBJR423WHT+WBJR416WHT+WBJR415WHT&x=0&y=0

So is this our away guernsey for 2016?

Not keen.

divvydan
30-11-2015, 08:18 PM
http://shop.westernbulldogs.com.au/search.php?q=WBJR423WHT+WBJR416WHT+WBJR415WHT&x=0&y=0

So is this our away guernsey for 2016?

Not keen.

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2015-11-30/new-clash-guernsey-no-red-in-2016

Red guernsey is gone and the white one is indeed our away/clash strip in 2016.

LostDoggy
30-11-2015, 08:22 PM
http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2015-11-30/new-clash-guernsey-no-red-in-2016

Red guernsey is gone and the white one is indeed our away/clash strip in 2016.

The whites fine but the cartoon Bulldog? Yuck.

SonofScray
30-11-2015, 08:31 PM
FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!

How bloody hard is it to get this right? That jumper is a horror show. Bitterly disappointing.

Webby
30-11-2015, 08:41 PM
I think the club is letting the lunatics run the asylum! Give me red any day over a cartoon dog.

I'm all for fan engagement, but seriously, I loathe tacky cartoons on footy jumpers. Hoops are classic, so why mess with them?

comrade
30-11-2015, 08:43 PM
FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!

How bloody hard is it to get this right? That jumper is a horror show. Bitterly disappointing.

Bitterly disappointing?

As long as we've punted the red strip, I'm happy.

Can imagine plenty of kids choosing the jumper with the big Dog on it, too, so there's an opportunity for increased merch sales.

Dancin' Douggy
30-11-2015, 08:53 PM
Am i meant to believe the fake laces are printed on the front?

SonofScray
30-11-2015, 08:57 PM
Bitterly disappointing?

As long as we've punted the red strip, I'm happy.

Can imagine plenty of kids choosing the jumper with the big Dog on it, too, so there's an opportunity for increased merch sales.

Yes. Bitterly disappointing, the jumper is very important to me. The push we made as fans to bring the hoops back saw a return to a very simple, classic look for the club across all three jumpers. The red was unpopular, fair enough but as a set it made sense and fit nicely with what we wanted.

The cartoon stuff can be for preseason and training. I am sick of the gimmick jumpers and whoring out of our most precious symbol.

Murphy'sLore
30-11-2015, 09:20 PM
Horrible. Yuk. Hate it.

I was proud of the simple, classic elegance of the white clash strip (not fond of the red, but at least it was logical). This is almost as bad as the Hawks disco jumper! How can I feel morally superior now? And I don't believe that kids will want to buy the one with the cartoon dog. If they do, let them buy a training top!

I'm with SoS. This is a bastardisation of our beautiful, proud jumper.

The Pie Man
30-11-2015, 09:55 PM
If they sell a heap of these to kids then ok

FWIW, I detest that strip.

The Bulldogs Bite
30-11-2015, 11:01 PM
Awful. One of our worst ever, aside from that Origin Energy one.

Doc26
30-11-2015, 11:15 PM
Yes. Bitterly disappointing, the jumper is very important to me. The push we made as fans to bring the hoops back saw a return to a very simple, classic look for the club across all three jumpers. The red was unpopular, fair enough but as a set it made sense and fit nicely with what we wanted.

The cartoon stuff can be for preseason and training. I am sick of the gimmick jumpers and whoring out of our most precious symbol.

I couldn't agree more SOS.

Garlick as CEO should be given much credit for implementing the change of jumper from the horrendous gimmicky Robodog and return it to our glorious classic style.

If the new CEO is behind this calamity of a decision to go 'kiddies show' on us for our away strip then he's wide of the mark and will need to lift his game. And just when we get a whole bunch of prime time slots. Yuk.

SonofScray
30-11-2015, 11:19 PM
How do they manage to stuff this up so often? Just ask us what we want and they can't go wrong. Give the fans a bit of agency over something in the public face of the Club and you get a beautiful, traditional jersey a la the home jumper. Hand it over to some moron in a suit happy to whore out the jumper based on what they think we want and this is the crap that we end up with.

Justin Charles made comment on SEN a few months ago, his good form at Richmond after his time with us was the result of him "doing what the coach told me to do, not what I thought the coach told me to do." Perhaps BLK and the merch ppl could take that on board. Imbeciles.

bornadog
01-12-2015, 12:08 AM
If they sell a heap of these to kids then ok

FWIW, I detest that strip.

I was with a mate at the Social Club event tonight at Etihad and we stepped outside to get away from the noise of the singers. We were standing near the popup Bulldog shop and my mate said he had purchased the white jumper with the cartoon for his young son for Christmas. I said to him, the jumper is ok for kids but that is about it.

Literally ten minutes later, when the event continued, the MC got Stringer to model the new jumper. The MC asked the crowd if they liked it and they all cheered.

SonofScray
01-12-2015, 12:18 AM
Literally ten minutes later, when the event continued, the MC got Stringer to model the new jumper. The MC asked the crowd if they liked it and they all cheered.

Lucky for the MC I was at home with my 10 day old baby girl and couldn't be there to lead a chorus of boos and heckling the living daylights out of that horrific jumper. I'll lose sleep over how bad this is. And I can't afford to loose any more sleep!

Cheering for it, bloody hell. We are an easily pleased bunch. Settling for crap like that getting shoved down our throats.

bornadog
01-12-2015, 12:20 AM
Lucky for the MC I was at home with my 10 day old baby girl and couldn't be there to lead a chorus of boos and heckling the living daylights out of that horrific jumper. I'll lose sleep over how bad this is. And I can't afford to loose any more sleep!

Cheering for it, bloody hell. We are an easily pleased bunch. Settling for crap like that getting shoved down our throats.

According to the MC, the club listened to the fans to get rid of red and change to the new one. I don't remember any survey on a new clash jumper.

SonofScray
01-12-2015, 12:25 AM
According to the MC, the club listened to the fans to get rid of red and change to the new one. I don't remember any survey on a new clash jumper.
Me either, I accept the red jumper was unpopular and unfairly maligned but that is no excuse for this ridiculous jersey to be worn in a game for premiership points.

jeemak
01-12-2015, 01:40 AM
I really don't get how the white jumper with the blue and red hoops isn't the perfect clash jumper.

LostDoggy
01-12-2015, 02:00 AM
We've experimented with several cartoons/complicated designs over the years, as have other clubs. They are invariably a load of bollocks that get ditched before long.

Our tradition is red, white and blue, a predominant colour with hoops. Really simple.

What bugs me is that some dufus in South Melbourne or St Kilda Road with no clue about our history got paid a bucketload to knock out that load of old tosh, but has only diminished our heritage and brand.

These things are made complicated by people with bigger budgets and more resources than they should have access to.

Edit: One caveat - if we could get onedogonthemoon to do a design that was sensitive and meaningful, I'd be totally down with that.

BulldogBelle
01-12-2015, 02:11 AM
It was very disappointing to hear the announcement tonight regarding the club ditching the red. There was a big roar of approval from most of the fans at the social club meeting.

I would have preferred the red but a different shade, a darker red.

The club saying that they are listening to the fans.

I would say most fans are ignorant of the benefits of wearing red.

Decision based on emotion and ignorance.

Ghost Dog
01-12-2015, 11:08 AM
The biggest issue is it's not a well balanced design in itself. It's not enough to create a variation of our very balanced hoops in another colour. With that much red, there needs to be LESS of it. Red comes forward, blue recedes. You need a lot more blue and a strong type of blue to make it a feature colour. Only need a tiny bit of that red to tickle your eye balls. And it does - makes my head hurt.
I really like the dark navy blue of a lot of our training gear. Why not use that?

soupman
01-12-2015, 11:10 AM

Unfortunately the crowd at those events is a little too easily pleased. They could have announced the away jumper was black with a red sash under the title "don the sash" and they would've cheered. The easiest gig ever for an mc.

craigsahibee
01-12-2015, 11:12 AM
I was with a mate at the Social Club event tonight at Etihad and we stepped outside to get away from the noise of the singers. We were standing near the popup Bulldog shop and my mate said he had purchased the white jumper with the cartoon for his young son for Christmas. I said to him, the jumper is ok for kids but that is about it.

Let's face it, Jake could model a weathered old dog turd and the crowd would go nuts ;)

bornadog
01-12-2015, 11:21 AM
I really like the dark navy blue of a lot of our training gear. Why not use that?

I do too, but that wouldn't be a clash jumper

Ghost Dog
Kids will like the new one.

dadsgirl16
Agreed Jake would look good in anything BUT I was one of those at the function that CHEERED when the red was ditched and don't consider myself easily pleased just someone with an opinion!!

Ghost Dog
01-12-2015, 11:22 AM
I do too, but that wouldn't be a clash jumper

Depends on how you use it.

SonofScray
01-12-2015, 11:30 AM
Agreed Jake would look good in anything BUT I was one of those at the function that CHEERED when the red was ditched and don't consider myself easily pleased just someone with an opinion!!

You were cheering that the red had been ditched, fair enough, it was clearly unpopular. Unfairly maligned in my opinion but that is not the issue. The issue is they've replaced it with an absolute stinker, with no consultation with the fans, moved away from the hoops which we mandated and are spinning it as listening to the fans. It is a terrible jumper, marginally behind Hawthorn's Power Rangers jumper and our very own Origin Energy freak show.

Whoever signed off on it should have their position at the Club questioned.

#SlashTheClash

dadsgirl16
01-12-2015, 11:36 AM
In YOUR opinion

SonofScray
01-12-2015, 11:40 AM
In YOUR opinion

Who else's opinion is it supposed to be? Fair dinkum. Have you got anything to actually add to the discussion, or are you going to to just get defensive and state the obvious.

dadsgirl16
01-12-2015, 12:04 PM
Sorry if I seemed to have upset the applecart but to lump everyone at the Social Club do as "easily pleased" as Soupaman did and then tell me I am ignorant because I don't know the benefits of wearing red as Ringer did I just wanted to add to the discussion by putting across my thoughts.

Ghost Dog
01-12-2015, 12:09 PM
Sorry if I seemed to have upset the applecart but to lump everyone at the Social Club do as "easily pleased" as Soupaman did and then tell me I am ignorant because I don't know the benefits of wearing red as Ringer did I just wanted to add to the discussion by putting across my thoughts.

Not a fan of the red. Glad to hear your thoughts on it.

#SlashTheClash

Aesthetic judgement maybe but sack someone? Think about it. I reckon kids will love the away clash. The truth of it will come out in jumper sales. IF nobody is buying it you are right. If it sells well, especially junior ones, I'm happy to live with it.

Scraggers
01-12-2015, 12:15 PM
I'm so happy its not red !!!

The red is gone !!!

Cyberdoggie
01-12-2015, 12:15 PM
I don't think the new one is a terrible jumper but i'm really not a fan of putting pictures in the design.
Sure ok for training gear or items to sell but not for a match day jumper. We started this craze back in 96 with that horrid hoop explosion with the cyberdoggie logo inside, similar to what the frankston dolphins still wear today.
Unfortunately clubs are still messing with the idea of putting fun pictures on to try and sell to the kids.

This new one while it's a nice enough picture it just doesn't look professional.

How can others take you seriously if you are running around with a giant cartoon dog on you.

Happy Days
01-12-2015, 12:19 PM
The current home strip was done for us. This strip is for the club. I'm thinking of it as a compromise.

Greystache
01-12-2015, 12:21 PM
I hated the red, glad to see it gone.

I'm not a big fan of the hoops, but you could model an old turd and tell people it's the traditional design and people would cheer for it because it's from the good old days.

I preferred Robodog

I don't mind the new one, although I prefer the white of our current design anyway.

I am not easily pleased.

Ghost Dog
01-12-2015, 12:22 PM
I hated the red, glad to see it gone.

I'm not a big fan of the hoops, but you could model an old turd and tell people it's the traditional design and people would cheer for it because it's from the good old days.

I don't mind the new one, although I prefer the white of our current design anyway.

I am not easily pleased.

Don't....like....the hoops?? So do you root for the robodog? What's your preference?

I see a lot of young hipsters wearing the hoops and they don't wear it because it's traditional. It's a clean design, and flat graphics are in.

bornadog
01-12-2015, 12:22 PM
As long as we win games, I really am not that emotionally tied to any clash jumper.

Greystache
01-12-2015, 12:23 PM
Don't....like....the hoops?? So do you root for the robodog? What's your preference?

I hit send accidently, I added I prefer Robodog.

The hoops are average. Just because it's old doesn't mean it's good.

bornadog
01-12-2015, 12:28 PM

I don't think because the hoops are old we think it is good. It (in my opinion), looks good and better than any other jumper we have had over the years.

SonofScray
01-12-2015, 12:30 PM
I don't think the hoops exist purely as a reaction to wanting the "good old days" its just a better design and a better jumper in every facet. That it has emotional ties to what we perceive as the 54 jumper is a bonus and solid marketing.

This regression back to sublimated, 90s cartoon nonsense is terrible decision making from a design perspective, IMO from branding perspective and a deviation from the highly celebrated and respected consultative work the Club had done on this front in recent history.

I'm like BAD, if we are winning I'll probably give it less air time, but I do value our inout into this arena a great deal and feel that if we have to have clash jumpers etc that it should be done right. I probably have a more extreme view on what elements of football and our interaction with it as fans need to be protected, we've already given up a lot based on the commercialisation of the game. I'd like to think that there are some elements of the Club and our public presentation not up for sale.

Ghost Dog
01-12-2015, 12:30 PM

i don't like it because it's old. Most fans were not born then or around anyway, so it would not be so popular if it wasn't good looking to most people. Melbourne have tried to do the time warp with theirs and it's a disaster. Looks like a private school badge which about sums them up.

Ghost Dog
01-12-2015, 12:31 PM
I don't think the hoops exist purely as a reaction to wanting the "good old days" its just a better design and a better jumper in every facet. That it has emotional ties to what we perceive as the 54 jumper is a bonus and solid marketing.

This regression back to sublimated, 90s cartoon nonsense is terrible decision making from a design perspective, IMO from branding perspective and a deviation from the highly celebrated and respected consultative work the Club had done on this front in recent history.

I'm like BAD, if we are winning I'll probably give it less air time, but I do value our inout into this arena a great deal and feel that if we have to have clash jumpers etc that it should be done right. I probably have a more extreme view on what elements of football and our interaction with it as fans need to be protected, we've already given up a lot based on the commercialisation of the game. I'd like to think that there are some elements of the Club and our public presentation not up for sale.

If it increases participation with junior members would you see it as a membership tool?

Cyberdoggie
01-12-2015, 12:33 PM

Can't agree with you on that one i'm afraid, Love the hoops (with blue), it's simple and looks fantastic.

SonofScray
01-12-2015, 12:42 PM
If it increases participation with junior members would you see it as a membership tool?

You are drawing a very long bow IMO. Is there any actual data that suggests this is the case, that playing in cartoon, garish jumpers correlates with increased participation from juniors? I am very sceptical of this approach. Lets say it did though, the answer is no, I would expect we find different avenues. We could increase participation and have kids design the jumper from scratch, but it'd be like the episode of the Simpsons where Homer designs the car.

I am not anti that jumper existing, I am anti its use as a clash jersey in season. Kids see something like this and want it regardless, if it exists and they see it, they'll want it. Which is great for sales, they can see it in media from training, in preseason games, warm ups, interviews etc. Just not in games for premiership points.

Ghost Dog
01-12-2015, 12:49 PM
You are drawing a very long bow IMO. Is there any actual data that suggests this is the case, that playing in cartoon, garish jumpers correlates with increased participation from juniors? I am very sceptical of this approach. Lets say it did though, the answer is no, I would expect we find different avenues. We could increase participation and have kids design the jumper from scratch, but it'd be like the episode of the Simpsons where Homer designs the car.

I am not anti that jumper existing, I am anti its use as a clash jersey in season. Kids see something like this and want it regardless, if it exists and they see it, they'll want it. Which is great for sales, they can see it in media from training, in preseason games, warm ups, interviews etc. Just not in games for premiership points.

I did say if. But at the footy, always notice opposition kids go for the cute stuff. It's a hypothetical question.

Ozza
01-12-2015, 01:13 PM
I was happy to hear we had ditched the red.

I was then disappointed with the new design.

Our white clash strip was perfect in my view.

Greystache
01-12-2015, 01:32 PM
Can't agree with you on that one i'm afraid, Love the hoops (with blue), it's simple and looks fantastic.

And that's fine, each to their own. My point was to suggest everyone that isn't a mindless sheep hates the new design and loves the old hoops is simplistic in the extreme. To me the hoops are bland and meek which is unfortunately representative of the history it throws back to.

Happy Days
01-12-2015, 01:39 PM
And that's fine, each to their own. My point was to suggest everyone that isn't a mindless sheep hates the new design and loves the old hoops is simplistic in the extreme. To me the hoops are bland and meek which is unfortunately representative of the history it throws back to.

What's your first choice?

I'd personally have the mid-80's single band with the lighter blue and the red shorts. I'd even go all out with a powder blue alternate - the Chargers and the (Sacramento) Kings have the best alternate kits in the US and it's no coincidence why.

Greystache
01-12-2015, 01:44 PM

I don't agree with most of that, but I'll take issue in particular that wearing a jumper that we wore 60odd years ago when we won our solitary premiership is a marketing bonus is a longer bow to draw than to question whether the new design will appeal to younger supporters.

Do you really think a 10 year old will have great grandad telling him that's the jumper we won a premiership in when I was a child and that will hold some emotional attachment? The kid will just as likely say "we haven't won a flag in 100 years? I don't even want to barrack for them. I don't want that jumper, I want the new one".

The club needs to focus on creating new history rather than trying to put some glossy spin on what is quite honestly a tragic history. The future for the club is attracting new members through excitement and success, not through trying to tie them to some ancient history.

Greystache
01-12-2015, 01:46 PM
What's your first choice?

I'd personally have the mid-80's single band with the lighter blue and the red shorts. I'd even go all out with a powder blue alternate - the Chargers and the (Sacramento) Kings have the best alternate kits in the US and it's no coincidence why.

I said above. I preferred the Robodog.

SonofScray
01-12-2015, 02:42 PM
Do you really think a 10 year old will have great grandad telling him that's the jumper we won a premiership in when I was a child and that will hold some emotional attachment? The kid will just as likely say "we haven't won a flag in 100 years? I don't even want to barrack for them. I don't want that jumper, I want the new one".

Perhaps a 10 year old kid might not, but they weren't the ones who voted the hooped jumper back in and ditched the robot dog. I don't know too many 10 year old Bulldog supporters with $130 in their pocket walking into the Bulldog shop and making those purchases. I bought a new jumper when they released it, and have bought my daughter the hooped jumper. My wife got one too. I bought it because I appreciated the Club giving us some agency over what we wore and that we had an opportunity to wear a jumper that spoke more closely to the perceived identity of the Club. After living through one existential crises after another and constantly being told that the very name, culture and location of the Club was the reason for our woe, rather than the W/L column I took great heart in it. My wallet responded accordingly.

The garish cartoon and one off jumpers etc are a cheap cash grab, I'm tired of them. They can exist and sell them, but I don't want to see our Club represented wearing them in season.

I understand the desire to have a winning story to tell and that it lies somewhere in the future for us, not in however many years our drought has extended to now, but the fact is that history exists and changing the name, the jumper, where we play etc doesn't make it go away.

Sedat
01-12-2015, 02:54 PM
I loved the simplicity of our 3 playing strips in the last 2 years - blue with red/white hoops, white with blue/red hoops and red and white/blue hoops. Having said that, whilst I personally hate gimmicky cartoonish guernseys, they absolutely strike a chord with the junior supporters and the new design will definitely become a better seller than our existing white and red clash strips combined. I don't like it but there is a commercial sensibility that simply cannot be ignored.

The best team in the competition currently plays in a Powers Rangers away strip.

LostDoggy
01-12-2015, 03:08 PM
Has anyone seen any stats that show that gimmicky/cartoonish jumpers sell better? I don't see people wearing them any more than 'traditional' jumpers. Sounds like something marketing types may spin in order to create a bit of work for themselves.

When I think of great sporting tops world-wide, classic strong designs are what jump to mind.

When I think of teams that constantly change designs, like the one day cricket teams or the national soccer team, the strong, simple designs always seem to age better than the messy, complicated, cartoony designs.

I feel people who tell us otherwise probably have vested interests.

SonofScray
01-12-2015, 03:17 PM
Has anyone seen any stats that show that gimmicky/cartoonish jumpers sell better? I don't see people wearing them any more than 'traditional' jumpers. Sounds like something marketing types may spin in order to create a bit of work for themselves.

When I think of great sporting tops world-wide, classic strong designs are what jump to mind.

When I think of teams that constantly change designs, like the one day cricket teams or the national soccer team, the strong, simple designs always seem to age better than the messy, complicated, cartoony designs.

I feel people who tell us otherwise probably have vested interests.
Essendon sold the most jumpers in 2014. Haven't seen the break down of how many were the great clash ones. Hawthorn were next.

GVGjr
01-12-2015, 08:06 PM
You were cheering that the red had been ditched, fair enough, it was clearly unpopular. Unfairly maligned in my opinion but that is not the issue. The issue is they've replaced it with an absolute stinker, with no consultation with the fans, moved away from the hoops which we mandated and are spinning it as listening to the fans. It is a terrible jumper, marginally behind Hawthorn's Power Rangers jumper and our very own Origin Energy freak show.

#SlashTheClash

I don't think a club should consult the members on decisions on the jumpers but they should be accountable when they make poor decisions. In my opinion we are too often catering for the younger market or potential sponsors which I think is a flawed approach.

Visually we had the greatest looking jumpers for years and we have taken a step back in recent years by trying to find something different every year or two. I don't like the white jumper and never have but there isn't a lot of alternatives. Not a fan of having a Bulldog on the jumper either and like you I think the red jumper was unfairly targeted.
I did like our indigenous effort this year and I hope we stick with it.

Scraggers
01-12-2015, 10:00 PM
Did I mention that

I'm just so happy its not red ???

boydogs
02-12-2015, 12:18 AM

Good to hear from you dadsgirl

I was happy with what we had but understand the push to keep changing to generate sales. Carlton have retired the #5 jumper in 2015 to try and prompt the Judd fans to get another one. I think kids will like this one and they are the swinging voters we need to appeal to

Doc26
02-12-2015, 08:30 PM
The club needs to focus on creating new history rather than trying to put some glossy spin on what is quite honestly a tragic history.The future for the club is attracting new members through excitement and success, not through trying to tie them to some ancient history.

I'm not sure if you're just trying to be provocative or like others outside the fold, caught up in John Elliott's ignorant way of defining how our history should be judged..

Stache, I've enjoyed reading most of what you've put up over the years but this one has caught me by surprise particularly given that those most true to our Club should be more aware than most of the size of the fight that we've had to put up throughout our 130 year 'brilliant' history to still exist in the highest form of the game and now heading towards a bright future.

Remi Moses
02-12-2015, 08:36 PM
I don't think we Even need a red Guernsey .
Not a fan of the Cartoon to be honest , I like the white.

Cyberdoggie
02-12-2015, 11:49 PM
Did I mention that

I'm just so happy its not red ???

Ok then picture this....

It's grand final day 2016 WCE vs the Western Bulldogs, WCE get the choice of home Guernsey so they wear their blue number,
we have to wear our clash jumper, do you want that jumper with the giant cartoon bulldog on it to be the lasting memory of a premiership year?......

bornadog
02-12-2015, 11:59 PM
I'm not sure if you're just trying to be provocative or like others outside the fold, caught up in John Elliott's ignorant way of defining how our history should be judged..

Stache, I've enjoyed reading most of what you've put up over the years but this one has caught me by surprise particularly given that those most true to our Club should be more aware than most of the size of the fight that we've had to put up throughout our 130 year 'brilliant' history to still exist in the highest form of the game and now heading towards a bright future.

Our history is what has made us today. No history we would just be another GWS or GC.

Scraggers
03-12-2015, 04:11 AM
Ok then picture this....

It's grand final day 2016 WCE vs the Western Bulldogs, WCE get the choice of home Guernsey so they wear their blue number,
we have to wear our clash jumper, do you want that jumper with the giant cartoon bulldog on it to be the lasting memory of a premiership year?......

I have followed my Bulldogs for over 40 years. I have not seen them play on the last Saturday in my lifetime. They could wear pink tutus with frilly yellow bows and it wouldn't spoil the memories.

Cyberdoggie
03-12-2015, 12:06 PM
I have followed my Bulldogs for over 40 years. I have not seen them play on the last Saturday in my lifetime. They could wear pink tutus with frilly yellow bows and it wouldn't spoil the memories.

Hehehe, fair enough.

Scraggers
03-12-2015, 12:47 PM
Hehehe, fair enough.

Just as long as it's not red ;)

jeemak
03-12-2015, 01:20 PM

It hurts when a jerk like Elliott sprouts that crap, but introspective and objective comments from our own needn't be treated in the same way.

Our history can be considered both trajic and brilliant.

BornInDroopSt'54
03-12-2015, 04:19 PM
I really like the red coloured jumper, really dynamic and pleasing to the eye. White to me is OK but a bit wishy washy.
Red is strong symbolically. Red is the most easily visible color in the spectrum so is great as a football jumper to identify team mates, especially under pressure. Also coast to coast goals in red jumpers really make an impression - good for marketing. Red is imposing, so good to intimidate opposition. To quote Global Meanings of Red:
http://www.colormatters.com/the-meanings-of-colors/red

"Red’s global similarities are significant:

Red is one of the top two favorite colors of all people.

Red is the most popular color used on flags in the world. Approximately 77% of all flags include red."

I am disappointed at the title of this thread, being pejorative and alarmist, not in the interests of the club.

Scraggers
03-12-2015, 05:16 PM
How is it pejorative? If you read the original post of this thread it was a plea to not wear red against the eagles for one game. It was originally written as a 'tongue-in-cheek' opinion piece.

The fact that this thread how now been used to announce the club's decision to axe the red is extraneous at best.

BornInDroopSt'54
03-12-2015, 05:49 PM
How is it pejorative? If you read the original post of this thread it was a plea to not wear red against the eagles for one game. It was originally written as a 'tongue-in-cheek' opinion piece.

The fact that this thread how now been used to announce the club's decision to axe the red is extraneous at best.

Good reply. I am concerned that this published anti red sentiment can be taken to be more than tongue in cheek and seen as a significant rejection of what I see as a great alternative strip. I don't know that the thread is extraneous to the announcement. Good football administrators listen to the supporters and their fora/forums. Red is the colour of alarm, coupled with our poor record in the colour, many people could rally at the alarm bell of "O no, not a red Bulldogs jumper" and inciting that is pejorative. However I take your point and now I get that you're just taking the piss a bit but it is something of an issue.

BornInDroopSt'54
04-12-2015, 10:29 AM

I see a lot of young hipsters wearing the hoops and they don't wear it because it's traditional. It's a clean design, and flat graphics are in.

If the hoops were higher, then they would create a sense of big shoulders and chest. The same with the big V which later designs lowered the V, losing its impact. What do you think about the hoops not being in the middle but being higher up? The small change has a big impact and register unconsciously as well so all of our opponents would be scared of us. Personally i actually like the trad jumper with vertical lines aesthetically but that's not going to happen.

bornadog
04-12-2015, 11:26 AM
If the hoops were higher, then they would create a sense of big shoulders and chest. The same with the big V which later designs lowered the V, losing its impact. What do you think about the hoops not being in the middle but being higher up? The small change has a big impact and register unconsciously as well so all of our opponents would be scared of us. Personally i actually like the trad jumper with vertical lines aesthetically but that's not going to happen.

I think the hoops should be wider

BornInDroopSt'54
04-12-2015, 11:59 AM

With some blue between the red and white.

Webby
04-12-2015, 02:00 PM

Yep, wider hoops and with the red hoop creeping up to tuck under the number - as it used to prior to this year.

bornadog
04-12-2015, 02:05 PM
With some blue between the red and white.

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/Picture1.jpg

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/1966_SCANLENS_-_DAVID_DARCY_CARD.jpg