PDA

View Full Version : Western Bulldogs no certainty to host final at Etihad Stadium

bornadog
27-08-2015, 11:39 AM
link (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/western-bulldogs-no-certainty-to-host-final-at-etihad-stadium/story-fni5faul-1227499642425)

http://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/231928c2bb52e293437e535eb658d98f?width=650

THE Western Bulldogs and AFL say it is still premature to discuss the possibility of Etihad Stadium hosting an elimination final.

The MCG has given its blessing for the Dogs to host a cut-throat final on their indoor fortress, but unless they are scheduled to host Adelaide it would take a change in AFL tradition.

Since Etihad Stadium opened in 2000 only one final between two Victorian teams has been played there — when Geelong hosted Hawthorn in that season.

Since then Hawthorn (twice), Essendon, North Melbourne and most recently St Kilda in 2011 have hosted elimination finals against interstate clubs at the venue.

Should the Bulldogs host Richmond in the first week of the finals the AFL would likely schedule that match at the MCG to maximise attendance.

The Tigers and Bulldogs drew 49,945 to the MCG in Round 2 — the biggest crowd the Bulldogs had played in front of since early 2011.

The Dogs and North Melbourne drew 28,512 and 27,164 to their Etihad Stadium contests last year.

They meet for the first time this season on Saturday.

The Dogs are 10-2 at Etihad Stadium this year with their seven 100-plus scores all coming on their home deck — for seven wins.

MCC chief executive Stephen Gough said this month the MCG was well ahead in its requirement to play 10 finals over five years in the first two weeks of the finals.

“If Richmond finished fifth they would play at the MCG in week one and if the Western Bulldogs finished sixth they would play at Etihad,” he said.

“That is their home ground and they would have the right to have a view on where they would play.”

Etihad Stadium confirmed the venue was available and communications manager Bill Lane said while the AFL determined the September fixture, they would be “delighted” to host a final.

“We’d be especially delighted if a match involved one or two of our partner clubs,” Lane said.

Dogs president Peter Gordon said he wouldn’t contact the league until his side was a September certainty.

“When we get to a position where we are a mathematical certainty to make the finals then I may turn my attention to it,” Gordon said.

“As I do the maths we are not mathematical certainties, so like everyone else ... we are completely focused on this weekend.”

An AFL spokesman said: “The AFL will assess it once our finalists are known, as we haven’t yet had a detailed discussion about venues with the ladder still so open to movement.”

LostDoggy
27-08-2015, 12:02 PM
The saddest stat from that article is that we haven't played in front of a 50,000+ crowd since early 2011.

bornadog
27-08-2015, 12:30 PM
The saddest stat from that article is that we haven't played in front of a 50,000+ crowd since early 2011.

Richmond game there were 49,945, which I guess is the biggest for a long time. (as you say)

Sedat
27-08-2015, 01:34 PM
I just want to see my team play finals at the MCG, like I've done 10 times since 2006. Etihad is a place for the small fry stuff, the real stuff should always take place at the 'G

Jeanette54
27-08-2015, 03:34 PM
I just want to see my team play finals at the MCG, like I've done 10 times since 2006. Etihad is a place for the small fry stuff, the real stuff should always take place at the 'G

If it really is an advantage for us to play at Etihad, and the results suggest it is, then at Etihad it should be.

Does anyone seriously expect that any interstate clubs should give up their home finals to play at the MCG

jeemak
27-08-2015, 04:49 PM
I agree with both of you.

Twodogs
27-08-2015, 04:52 PM
I agree with both of you.

I don't. Play it at Whitten Oval

ReLoad
27-08-2015, 06:02 PM
I'm sorry but if we manage to finish ahead of Richmond, why should we play at their home ground? Stuff em, im happy if we got 50k in Etihad and only 25k of us were allowed in. Would suit us and our playing style very well.

LostDoggy
27-08-2015, 08:31 PM
I'm sorry but if we manage to finish ahead of Richmond, why should we play at their home ground? Stuff em, im happy if we got 50k in Etihad and only 25k of us were allowed in. Would suit us and our playing style very well.

Spot on ReLoad.
Why should we give a leg up to those purile,insipid Richmond rubbish if we finish higher then them.
It is our right to choose if we play at Etihad or not as our home final,just as the interstate teams have the assurance that they would play at their home ground's by finishing higher on the ladder then their opponent's.

Flamethrower
27-08-2015, 08:34 PM
All Victorian finals should be played at the MCG, unless there are 2 finals in Melbourne on the same day, or a smaller Melbourne based team plays a non-Victorian team.

Just a note about any finals at Etihad Stadium, the public seating capacity is only about 40,000 (after Medallion Club, AFL Members and corporate tickets are removed). At the MCG (non-Grand Final) it is about 60,000 (excluding AFL/MCC members and corporates). And that doesn't include any AFL finals series tickets.

LostDoggy
27-08-2015, 08:46 PM

I like it. Finals should be like the Davis Cup, home team plays wherever it messes with the opposition the most - stuff logistics or commercial concerns. Imagine playing the Bondi Billionaires at WO (or, even better, Williamstown) on a cold, windy day - they'd almost forfeit :) :)

Eastdog
27-08-2015, 08:53 PM

Now that is real home advantage. Lets do it :) :)

Twodogs
27-08-2015, 11:31 PM
M
I like it. Finals should be like the Davis Cup, home team plays wherever it messes with the opposition the most - stuff logistics or commercial concerns. Imagine playing the Bondi Billionaires at WO (or, even better, Williamstown) on a cold, windy day - they'd almost forfeit :) :)

Now that is real home advantage. Lets do it :) :)

How funny would it be having a AFL final with admittance through the cafe?

jeemak
27-08-2015, 11:51 PM
I like the idea of beating Richmond and or the Crows on the MCG.

If we play either of them there we will, and it will be grand.

1eyedog
28-08-2015, 12:32 AM

Because they'll be 75k at the G and the AFL sees $$$. That's 25k more tickets to sell and 25k more pies, beer, etc. etc.

The Doctor
28-08-2015, 09:11 AM
I don't care where we play or who we play.

If we want to get to the big show we have to good enough to beat up anyone, anywhere.

Ozza
28-08-2015, 01:24 PM
Personally I'd prefer us to play at the MCG.

Can absolutely understand the logic of us getting a home final, and having an advantage at Etihad.

I guess I am just a little bit traditional about things - but I feel like finals are supposed to be at the MCG.

When its finals time - its time to go to the big stadium, in front of the big crowd and the good sides get it done there. I don't like the idea of the club pushing for an Etihad final. You could argue that asking to play there is conceding that it would be harder to win at the G' or that somehow we are less capable of getting the win there. I'd like to see us embrace the idea of playing at the G'. We should be excited about it.

Happy Days
28-08-2015, 01:25 PM
I like the idea of beating Richmond and or the Crows on the MCG.

If we play either of them there we will, and it will be grand.

From what I can ascertain they have it coming.

azabob
28-08-2015, 01:34 PM
My thoughts exactly Ozza. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Bring on G, and the atmosphere it brings.

Remi Moses
28-08-2015, 02:36 PM
Anywhere anytime
Unless we play the Ravens it will be the G

Mitcha
28-08-2015, 03:09 PM
Changed my mind numerous times regarding this. Current thought is give us a fast deck and a loud and passionate crowd at Etihad. Happy to then move to the G for the remainder of the campaign.

Greystache
28-08-2015, 03:35 PM
Feerless leader Gill has said, unless it's an interstate team we're playing, the game will be at the G. It's part of their maximising attendances strategy. It's good to see Gill can find the time in his day to manipulate the competition when he has to dedicate so much time to social engineering the community at large.

Remi Moses
28-08-2015, 08:35 PM
No great shock

Twodogs
28-08-2015, 08:48 PM
No great stress. I'm happy to play a final against anyone, anywhere, anytime.

bornadog
28-08-2015, 10:22 PM
Feerless leader Gill has said, unless it's an interstate team we're playing, the game will be at the G. It's part of their maximising attendances strategy. It's good to see Gill can find the time in his day to manipulate the competition when he has to dedicate so much time to social engineering the community at large.

Well fearless leader Gill, if we earn the right for a home game we should get to choose where we play. Try taking a home game away from WC, Freo, Adelaide, Sydney and see what response you get.

jazzadogs
28-08-2015, 10:37 PM
To be fair they have made the Swans play at the Olympic Stadium for most of their finals recently, when the Swans players and coaches clearly would have preferred to play at the SCG.

As an overseas supporter who won't get to experience the atmosphere, I would say play at etihad because we have an advantage and our best chance of winning.

If I was still in Melbourne, I'd probably want it at the G.

BulldogBelle
29-08-2015, 12:22 AM
We may as well get some finals experience at the G. We're going to be playing there for a long time in the future

LostDoggy
02-09-2015, 05:20 PM
Happy to play at either. MCG will be beneficial in the longer term.

Rocco Jones
02-09-2015, 06:15 PM
I am not in the 'I don't care where we play' camp. Even the greatest of sides have a home ground advantage, doesn't mean you are any less great. The Eagles and Freo are the best 2 teams in the comp this year and they are better at Subi than anywhere else. It's a joke we don't play 1 home game at the MCG then suddenly when we earn a home final, we have to play there. I get it for the Grand Final, I will cop it for a prelim but it makes the league lack integrity.

The NBA and Champions League are pretty big business. Imagine the Broklyn Nets had to play their finals at MSG or Chelsea play their home ties in the knockout stages at Emirates Stadium because you can cram in more people and get bigger dollars. No money would make these two leagues do that.

bornadog
02-09-2015, 06:33 PM
I am not in the 'I don't care where we play' camp. Even the greatest of sides have a home ground advantage, doesn't mean you are any less great. The Eagles and Freo are the best 2 teams in the comp this year and they are better at Subi than anywhere else. It's a joke we don't play 1 home game at the MCG then suddenly when we earn a home final, we have to play there. I get it for the Grand Final, I will cop it for a prelim but it makes the league lack integrity.

The NBA and Champions League are pretty big business. Imagine the Broklyn Nets had to play their finals at MSG or Chelsea play their home ties in the knockout stages at Emirates Stadium because you can cram in more people and get bigger dollars. No money would make these two leagues do that.

Totally agree with you Rocco. Geelong got to play a home final at Symonds, so we should get the right to play at Etihad and too bad for Adelaide, Richmond and North.

Remi Moses
02-09-2015, 07:21 PM
Don't really care, but stkilda played Sydney in 2011 at Etihad.
I think if it's Adelaide the game should be at Etihad, but tiges, Norf should be the G.

ledge
02-09-2015, 07:33 PM
I got my cheersquad papers today for finals and it says tick which grounds you will go to and etihad isn't there .

bornadog
02-09-2015, 10:16 PM
I got my cheersquad papers today for finals and it says tick which grounds you will go to and etihad isn't there .

Well that settles it.

Rocco Jones
02-09-2015, 10:45 PM

Well that settles it.

Not necessarily. Seeing we play every Melbourne home game at Etihad Stadium (because you know, it's our home ground in terms of playing AFL games) we already have a designated spot for our cheersquad. Maybe they don't need to plan for the area if we play at ES, because we will just do what we do in normal home games.

bornadog
02-09-2015, 11:44 PM
Not necessarily. Seeing we play every Melbourne home game at Etihad Stadium (because you know, it's our home ground in terms of playing AFL games) we already have a designated spot for our cheersquad. Maybe they don't need to plan for the area if we play at ES, because we will just do what we do in normal home games.

MCG set to host all Melbourne finals (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/mcg-set-to-host-all-melbourne-finals-20150902-gjdu92.html)

Twodogs
03-09-2015, 12:16 AM
MCG set to host all Melbourne finals (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/mcg-set-to-host-all-melbourne-finals-20150902-gjdu92.html)

Oh well. At least we will all get in.

The Pie Man
03-09-2015, 12:27 AM
I'll be happy at the G - I get the home ground argument, but playing at the G is better for our development.

We *should* still enjoy the majority of crowd support should we play Adelaide anyway, with no travel. Still a big advantage

Sedat
03-09-2015, 12:38 AM
This.

Also to hell with the Etihad stadium owners. Those greedy scumbags have done us absolutely no favours at all in the past, so they can GAGF as far as I'm concerned.

bornadog
03-09-2015, 10:19 AM

If we play Richmond, I can see over 70,000 there which would be hard to fit into Etihad :D

We had 50,000 for the round 2 match, so a final would be massive against them. Wouldn't it be nice to knock them out of the finals.

Rocket Science
03-09-2015, 11:05 AM
Gee, this Etihad stadium deal just keeps getting better and better...

That said, happily endorse the view - particularly with this group - that we're genuinely undaunted as to who we play, or where we play.

G-Mo77
03-09-2015, 01:12 PM
This is where the home ground advantage falls over in Finals for Vic clubs. Etihad is our home ground so if we finished on top we should play there if we choose. If we go over to the G it's the home ground of Richmond, Collingwood and if we play against one of them how is it our advantage? However the advantage is huge for Interstate sides. I personally don't care. The G is where Finals are played, we play there but eventually something will have to be done for Vic vs Vic finals to create a home edge. Maybe give the team who is higher first priority on tickets then the "away" sides. Anyway I'm rambling now......

Murphy'sLore
04-09-2015, 11:34 AM
I think we should play at Etihad! The argument that it has to be the G to maximise attendance doesn't wash. If Adelaide had a home final they would play at Adelaide Oval, even though it only holds 50,000. The AFL wouldn't make them play at the G instead, why should they be able to force us to?

Just because it's in the same city doesn't make it our home ground.

chef
04-09-2015, 02:54 PM
What a load of crap.

So much for earning home ground advantage, the AFL love to shaft us at every opportunity.

LostDoggy
04-09-2015, 03:08 PM
If today/tomorrows matches play out as expected we'll be playing Adelaide at the G in September.

At least it's an opportunity to exorcise some ugly, ugly demons....

Nuggety Back Pocket
04-09-2015, 04:01 PM
Richmond game there were 49,945, which I guess is the biggest for a long time. (as you say)

The news coming out of Etihad is that they are expecting the Bulldogs to be playing finals at the 'G'.

LostDoggy
04-09-2015, 05:43 PM
Don't really care, but stkilda played Sydney in 2011 at Etihad.
I think if it's Adelaide the game should be at Etihad, but tiges, Norf should be the G.

Didn't Geelong play Freo in a final at Sleepy Hollow a year or two ago?

Throughandthrough
04-09-2015, 06:11 PM
Didn't Geelong play Freo in a final at Sleepy Hollow a year or two ago?

and lost