PDA

View Full Version : Three Things I've Learned - Round 22 Edition

Eastdog
28-08-2015, 07:58 PM
Once the Round 22 match against North Melbourne is completed, let us know the three things you learned after watching the match.

Be constructive but be honest.

bulldogtragic
29-08-2015, 06:52 PM
Bump. Three.

bulldogtragic
29-08-2015, 08:12 PM
1. Close, if not, win of the year.
2. Stringer off the square is awesome.
3. We have 'it'.

bulldogtragic
29-08-2015, 08:18 PM
4. That loss to St Kilda from 54 points up may cost fourth. But I hope it steels them to never let a slip like that happen again.

westbulldog
29-08-2015, 08:34 PM
Honeychurch and Biggs showed a bit today. both good games.
According to Brad Scott every decision must go their way, otherwise it is a complete travesty.
Higgins and Josh Hill have a lot in common.

whythelongface
29-08-2015, 08:34 PM
1. Never doubt the coach's selections. This guy knows what he is doing
2. Stringer could, by the end of his career, be the greatest bulldog ever (bar EJ). The guy is a freak.
3. North are pretenders, but we already knew that.

Bulldog4life
29-08-2015, 08:49 PM
Bevo is a terrific match day coach

We can win irrespective who is in our team

Biggsy's runs from the backline are very effective

LostDoggy
29-08-2015, 08:51 PM
1. Roughead is our 1st ruck. Monster effort for his 1st game in a while. Actually laid most tackles today on top of going toe to toe with Goldy all day and covering a heap of ground. Love his energy, forgive the couple of silly mistakes.
2. The Bont/Stringer show has even more levels. At times Bont looked like a dominant CHF and Stringer a dominant midfielder today. Teams win flags around players like these. Multiple flags.
3. We are maturing further. NM threw a lot at us today and at times were succeeding, but we held our belief and eventually overwhelmed them. At times it was ugly. Given last week, it was a most meritorious performance.

raels_d
29-08-2015, 08:53 PM
1. Stinger is our EJ - Murphy is our Charlie 2. We can dare to dream 3. 3 reasons North can't win a GF - Nahas, Wells, Higgins

1eyedog
29-08-2015, 09:23 PM
The only thing better than beating North Melbourne is beating North Melbourbe with Shaun Higgins in the side

The recruitment of Shane Biggs was a masterstroke. He's been huge

The decision to bring in the extra runner rather than another tall is a masterstroke by the MC.

PedroArvy
29-08-2015, 09:31 PM
We can win:

Against an in-form taller forward line.
Without a recognised ruck.
With an unpredictable wide spread of goal kickers

The Bulldogs Bite
29-08-2015, 09:46 PM
1. I hate Norf more than any other side.

2. I love beating Norf more than any other side.

3. Norf's tears taste sweeter than any other side's tears.

F'scary
29-08-2015, 09:52 PM
1. I hate Norf more than any other side.

2. I love beating Norf more than any other side.

3. Norf's tears taste sweeter than any other side's tears.

Yep, a lot of their supporters annoy me - like the current batch of Hawthorn supporters, they just started following them because they won a flag. A few years in the bottom four and...no more Norf, too many of their supporters are fair weather friends.

Remi Moses
29-08-2015, 09:56 PM
Seemed a lot of drunk teenie types there tonight

Remi Moses
29-08-2015, 09:59 PM
North are to old and slow
Scott played a game of chess, and lost
Bontempelli will win a Brownlow ( or a norm smith I hope )

LostDoggy
29-08-2015, 10:34 PM

Or both ;)

bulldogtragic
29-08-2015, 10:38 PM
Or both ;)

Coleman in his retiring years. :D

bornadog
29-08-2015, 10:41 PM
Seemed a lot of drunk teenie types there tonight

I noticed that too

bulldogtragic
29-08-2015, 10:43 PM
I noticed that too

Were you and Remi sitting together listening to the wireless sucking on worthers originals? :D

LostDoggy
29-08-2015, 10:45 PM
North are to old and slow
Scott played a game of chess, and lost

In fairness to Scott, it's hard to win chess with a board full of pawns up against a board full of kings.

How's the way, when something needs to happen the Bont just stands up and destroys. He did 2 or 3 things today at crucial times that would be career highlights for most. He and Stringer are scary.

I just can't decide whether Bont or Wally is next captain. 2 perfect candidates.

anfo27
29-08-2015, 11:12 PM
1. We are ready!
2. The cream always rises to the top. Bonti & Stringer WOW!
3. Ronnie has been a super pick up. A few mistakes but 2 huge goals.

bornadog
29-08-2015, 11:18 PM
1. We deserve our spot in the 8

2. North really are pretenders

3. I learnt I love beating North.

bulldogtragic
29-08-2015, 11:48 PM
1. Wood smashing Nahas high with no free kick given was great. I don't like Nahas and I like hard footy.
2. Grant smashing Nahas high with no free kick given was great. I don't like Nahas and I like hard footy.
3. Cordy smashing Nahas high with no free kick given was great. I don't like Nahas and I like hard footy.

craigsahibee
30-08-2015, 12:02 AM
1. Jake Stringer is fun to watch
2. Bontempelli loves responsibility
3. Bulldogtragic doesn't like Nahas.

hujsh
30-08-2015, 12:09 AM
In fairness to Scott, it's hard to win chess with a board full of pawns up against a board full of kings.

How's the way, when something needs to happen the Bont just stands up and destroys. He did 2 or 3 things today at crucial times that would be career highlights for most. He and Stringer are scary.

I just can't decide whether Bont or Wally is next captain. 2 perfect candidates.

Those 3 shrugged tackles being a perfect example. Between him and Stringer opposition players are going to need cannons for arms to stick a tackle

Smads57
30-08-2015, 12:54 AM
1. I would have no idea how to coach a modern side - Bevos team selections and our ability to win games continues to surprise (and delight) me
2. I get a thrill when the Bont takes on the opposition - it's an experience I haven't felt before as an AFL devotee
3. I said this last week but it has to be repeated - I'm glad the Package plays for my team

ledge
30-08-2015, 01:33 AM
1 The package is THE package
2 Bottle Morris courage to always go back into a pack and mark.
3 I like Biggs but for gods sake stop letting him kick it in after a point !

comrade
30-08-2015, 01:34 AM
After watching the game and the North Melbourne coach's press conference, I've learned we're lucky to have Bevo at the helm than a giant knob like Brad Scott.

Ghost Dog
30-08-2015, 02:33 AM
1. Wood smashing Nahas high with no free kick given was great. I don't like Nahas and I like hard footy.
2. Grant smashing Nahas high with no free kick given was great. I don't like Nahas and I like hard footy.
3. Cordy smashing Nahas high with no free kick given was great. I don't like Nahas and I like hard footy.

Redpath gave a nice patella in the guts to Goldstien as well that went unpunished.

Ghost Dog
30-08-2015, 02:34 AM

Redpath gave a nice patella in the guts to Goldstien as well that went unpunished.

Remi Moses
30-08-2015, 02:43 AM
After watching the game and the North Melbourne coach's press conference, I've learned we're lucky to have Bevo at the helm than a giant knob like Brad Scott.

I heard it was eating a lemon type proportions
Typical

LostDoggy
30-08-2015, 08:04 AM
I heard it was eating a lemon type proportions
Typical

Eating a lemon and complaining about the sourness. The lemons fault, really, for being eaten.

1. I love the fact that every bloke who left us last year has been defeated by us.
2. My dad is a real bastard for not naming me Marcus or Jake. Up yours old man!
3. I hate Norf. Knew that already but love saying it again.

ReLoad
30-08-2015, 08:24 AM
1. I watched Bevo closely at the qtr and 3. Qtr time breaks, not only does he have the players under his spell, but they will go to war for him, I think the Macca years followed by Bevo may have been the best 1-2 combination in terms of team formation I've ever seen.

Quality selections and development, combined with a true leader and man who isn't afraid to experiment and gets total and utter buy in. We've got something special. Buckle up, we are in for another ride.

2. They say players reach their skill zenith at 75-100 games. If that's the case we have about 10-15% more to come from our squad, which combined with a huge increase in consistency means we are going to be freaky scary good. Yes it will be a bumpy road, yes we will drop some we shouldn't, but I see a Geelong a Dynasty forming before my very eyes.

3. We are 1 player short, well perhaps two. The first is a key back, we need Jake Carslile, it's as simple as that, he can not only take the monsters but his flexibility and tank make him the ideal candidate. The next is the ruck. I really like Campbell and roughy as our combo, but roughies body makes me worry, a lot. Campbell is nowhere near the prime of a ruckman yet, and he needs another 50 games into him, which if we are not willing to do we need to trade for a solution.

Mantis
30-08-2015, 10:47 AM
1/ Big players make big plays.. Nice that ours are still kids.

2/ Our mids learn quickly

3/ I need to trust that the messiah knows best.

BornInDroopSt'54
30-08-2015, 11:26 AM
1. The team and coach have my trust; I felt it at all times before and during the game that we would win.
2. Listening to the game on radio can be a moving experience, despite the commentators, but I enjoyed that we have won over Mark Maclure, who is a believer in us.
3. Beveridge would be a good army general: the squad is great and have belief in our brand, you could even see the belief in Zaine Cordy's and Mitch Honeychurch's eyes.

KT31
30-08-2015, 12:07 PM
1.When teams are coming back we have more than one player who is prepared to stand up, take the responsibility and take the game on.

2.The "never in my time" is now "its only a matter of time".

3.This seasons ride is far from over as the players have a belief and will give it all.

4.BT's love of Zaine is matched by his hatred of Nahas.

BulldogBelle
30-08-2015, 05:06 PM
1. We are learning that a 20 meter kick to anywhere when our forward zone is packed will usually result in us getting a goal.
2. We can beat Petrie and Harvey.
3. Don't dismay too much when Murphy and Biggs make clangers but be cheered by the good they do.

LostDoggy
30-08-2015, 08:29 PM
1.Damn we are so very good.
2.In Bob we trust with Bevo as our Messiah.
3.Brad Scott,Missy Higgins-Knob's of the highest order sooking it up as usual.

HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
30-08-2015, 09:48 PM
What about Nahas's diving efforts? Embarrassed for him

always right
30-08-2015, 10:36 PM
I've learned that footy is fun this year. Three examples;
1. That run by Stringer was exhiliarating....perhaps the most exciting player to have pulled on a dogs jumper.
2. The Bontempelli/Stringer show in the lead up to Picken's goal. Cut to Scott in the coach's box and I'm certain he mutters the words "how embarrassing"
3. Last quarter....Ben Brown chasing JJ. For those who have taped the game, watch it back...it's hilarious. My daughter remarked it was like watching someone running the wrong way on an escalator

AndrewP6
30-08-2015, 10:58 PM
1. That run by Stringer was exhiliarating....perhaps the most exciting player to have pulled on a dogs jumper.
2. The Bontempelli/Stringer show in the lead up to Picken's goal. Cut to Scott in the coach's box and I'm certain he mutters the words "how embarrassing"
3. Last quarter....Ben Brown chasing JJ. For those who have taped the game, watch it back...it's hilarious. My daughter remarked it was like watching someone running the wrong way on an escalator

I saw it, and yep it was hilarious. I commend him for actually trying.

Happy Days
30-08-2015, 11:29 PM
1. Bontempelli with the Bender from Futurama game - he's even greater than I thought he was. We've seen him do great individual pieces of play, and even be the best player on the ground, but this is the most dominant he's looked. The weave-deke-blind turn had me and my mate like Chris Tucker and Ice Cube in Friday.

2. North's midfielders are slow, poor users and not critiqued harshly enough. Goldstein absolutely took over the ruck contests for most of the second half, and aside from a brief 5 minute stretch in the 4th, they did nothing with any of it because they were too slow and not good enough too. Swallow in particular. And I'm not going to lose much sleep on "missing" on Ben Brown either. (disclaimer - I knew all this already, this is more revision.)

3. Sugar Shane's early efforts was a carbon copy of the Melbourne game; I'm pretty sure that turnover that lead to the Brown miss is a perfect replica of a play in that game. The way he responded was fantastic and increased my faith in him tenfold. Science bless Bevo and the Team Defence Revolution for allowing guys like Biggs to wholly play to his strengths and without inhibition. Also LOVED the early celebration on his first goal, looks to have been watching Stringer highlights with the rest of us.

Supplementally - I agreed to go to Phillip Island with my girlfriend and her mates this weekend, fully thinking the game was on Sunday. When I realised it was on Saturday, I tried to use the game as leverage to not have to go, but somehow instead talked myself into driving down from PI to the game, then back afterwards. All proving that I'm literally willing to go the extra mile for the team.

LostDoggy
30-08-2015, 11:31 PM

Yes remember Brown well.
Funny how athletic he can look when going for marks or on the lead yet on this occasion he looked ridiculously uncoordinated and was doing the token chase.
Looked like the kid that would be picked last when in the school yard.

The Doctor
30-08-2015, 11:36 PM
1. Ziebell is over rated
2. Swallow is over rated
3. A seat at the Scott Brothers family dinner this week would be fantastic for the comedy value of listening to those 2 grizzle all night.

bornadog
30-08-2015, 11:47 PM
Supplementally - I agreed to go to Phillip Island with my girlfriend and her mates this weekend, fully thinking the game was on Sunday. When I realised it was on Saturday, I tried to use the game as leverage to not have to go, but somehow instead talked myself into driving down from PI to the game, then back afterwards. All proving that I'm literally willing to go the extra mile for the team.

That is what I call true dedication for the cause.

LostDoggy
31-08-2015, 12:03 AM
1. Ziebell is over rated
2. Swallow is over rated
3. A seat at the Scott Brothers family dinner this week would be fantastic for the comedy value of listening to those 2 grizzle all night.

:) Like

Swallow has to be the meekest,non discript non influential AFL captain going around.

Happy Days
31-08-2015, 12:17 AM
1. Ziebell is over rated
2. Swallow is over rated

BANG ON. Cunnington too. They've developed this reputation as hard at it, contested football ANIMALS but they're really just slow and lame, got smashed in the clearances despite Goldstein giving it to them on a platter, and can't seem to get it more than 25 times a game each on their best day.

Ziebell is just reckless and it would piss me off no end if he played for us.

LostDoggy
31-08-2015, 12:29 AM
BANG ON. Cunnington too. They've developed this reputation as hard at it, contested football ANIMALS but they're really just slow and lame, got smashed in the clearances despite Goldstein giving it to them on a platter, and can't seem to get it more than 25 times a game each on their best day.

Ziebell is just reckless and it would piss me off no end if he played for us.

Agree.

All Ziebell seems to do when he gets the pill is bang it on his boot as fast as he can with out looking and hope to hell one of Dumb,Dumber and Dumbrer clunk a tinny ass mark.

Ghost Dog
31-08-2015, 12:39 AM
More like 'Things I knew but could not believe'
1. I have been replaying Jake Stringer highlights in my head. I cannot believe it. He is a Carey, an Ablett, and he is OURS.
2. We are worthy of our spot. Our draw has not been as hard as some, nor as soft. But now we proved it.
3. We could not contain their forwards and it didn't matter. We just outscored them. I'm not sure that will always work, but it was great to watch. The media love us and on ABC radio, Mark McClure was gushing about us. Unbelievable.

westdog54
31-08-2015, 08:37 AM
1. Bonti and Stringer are built for September.
2. We should close Match Committee threads once the team sheets come out. Bevo is clearly much smarter than all of us.
3. We have a team devoid of downhill skiers. Which is more than I can say for our opposition

Bulldog Joe
31-08-2015, 09:02 AM

Very true AR.

Really enjoyed all those and I did have to watch the JJ one more than once.
Ben Brown was even giving it everything but seemed stuck in quicksand. Probably highlights why Bevo is prepared to forsake tall for speed.

Ozza
31-08-2015, 11:56 AM
1. Jordan Roughead cares about his team mates as much as any player I've seen in our colours. The blocks and tackles around the stoppages, flying in 5 deep to help spoil and generally just being prepared to get belted up for his team is so impressive. I'm not sure how/if his body will stand up to it over time. He might just be a 15-17 games per year player as a result. But big Rough is selfless.

2. Mitch Honeychurch may sneak in to play finals. Our pressure is better with him in the team, and he generally takes his opportunities when he gets them.

3. And to pat myself on the back, my prediction that Stringer kicks 50 goals this year, hits the line with a H&A game to spare. He's finally sorted out his set shots....so I'm tipping 70+ next year!
The first final will be his 50th game. Only G.Ablett Snr would have a better highlights package from 50 games.
#thepackage
#theparcel (credit Lachie Hunter).

always right
31-08-2015, 12:20 PM
Very true AR.

Really enjoyed all those and I did have to watch the JJ one more than once.
Ben Brown was even giving it everything but seemed stuck in quicksand. Probably highlights why Bevo is prepared to forsake tall for speed.

On the Stringer run, check out the front on view of this passage. After he kicks the ball he keeps running and veers off towards the pocket.....I have no doubt he was about to launch into one of his celebrations to the crowd had his kick gone through for a goal.

comrade
31-08-2015, 09:27 PM
#thepackage
#theparcel (credit Lachie Hunter).

Lachie and Jake are best mates, aren't they?

Also, when is Lachie extending his contract? Rumblings he was unhappy earlier in the year. Any idea if this is still the case?

Bulldog Joe
31-08-2015, 09:35 PM
Having been at the game and watched the replay I am really surprised by the level of negativity towards Jack Redpath.

I get that people see more future in Tom Boyd, but in my view Redpath is providing a lot of what the coach has set him to do.

He impacts contests and provides a physical presence that helps our mobile players have more influence.

While he only had 5 possessions his game impact was worth plenty more than those stats tell you.

I was happy with his game and the competitive aggression he brings to the table.

comrade
31-08-2015, 09:43 PM
Having been at the game and watched the replay I am really surprised by the level of negativity towards Jack Redpath.

I get that people see more future in Tom Boyd, but in my view Redpath is providing a lot of what the coach has set him to do.

He impacts contests and provides a physical presence that helps our mobile players have more influence.

While he only had 5 possessions his game impact was worth plenty more than those stats tell you.

I was happy with his game and the competitive aggression he brings to the table.

His first qtr was Liam Jones-esque in his inability to read the flight. Allowed Tarrant to get off the leash too much.

Got better as the game went on. I liked his willingness to compete with Goldy and particularly enjoyed the huge knee he smashed into the big man's hip. :D

Bulldog Joe
31-08-2015, 09:46 PM
His first qtr was Liam Jones-esque in his inability to read the flight. Allowed Tarrant to get off the leash too much.

I am giving him more credit than comparing him to Jones. Redders doesn't mind the physical contact. Felt that the biggest issue early was the amount of ball that was just kicked to the advantage of Tarrant.

We improved this as we got our run going and that occurred more when Redpath was around the stoppages.

bornadog
31-08-2015, 11:11 PM

I felt he gave us no presence in the forward 50. He was no where near the ball, didn't lead out and when the ball was moving quickly from the back 50 to forward 50 he was caught out of position. I thought it was his worse game this year.

I still feel he can make it but his inexperience showed out.