PDA

View Full Version : Three Things I've Learned - Round 23 Edition

Eastdog
28-08-2015, 08:01 PM
Once the Round 23 match against Brisbane Lions is completed, let us know the three things you learned after watching the match.

Be constructive but be honest.

bulldogtragic
05-09-2015, 04:24 PM
Three.

Scorlibo
05-09-2015, 05:34 PM
1. Our defence is a rabble without Morris, Boyd and Murphy.
2. Adelaide will go in as favourites next week.
3. If Stef Martin is up for grabs we'd be crazy not to offer him big bucks.

Ghost Dog
05-09-2015, 06:04 PM
1. I remember a time when I came onto Woof and there was a lot of friction on here. It was annoying and I'm glad it has moved on and developed into what it is. I guess I realised today how much the nature of the board has changed over the years.

2. Our ruck is an ongoing concern ( Should we be looking at getting an American import as other clubs are starting to?) All options are on the table.

3. Today we gave up massive amounts of ground in a very short space of time to a lowly ranked club. Spells trouble.

bulldogtragic
05-09-2015, 06:17 PM
1. It was as unemotional footy as I've felt once Geelong got out to a good lead.
2. Finals baby! Only 8 teams to talk about on footy shows this week. Hopefully the media decide the narrative is our 'under dog' kids living a dream of a club and its supporters. Exciting to be back in it with the talent to win finals.
3. I learned that there's a bit to raid if Brisbane collapses again. Martin, Luey, Rich, McStay would all look great in our jumper at the right price.

Remi Moses
05-09-2015, 06:24 PM
1. We need to bring effort consistently
2. We need a ruckman
3. Pointless round 22 wins can bring false hope

LostDoggy
05-09-2015, 07:17 PM
1. Weird things happen the week before finals.
2. You go in a couple of % off against anyone and you'll pay the price.
3. As great as our kids are, those few older heads make a big difference.

jeemak
05-09-2015, 07:21 PM
1. It was as unemotional footy as I've felt once Geelong got out to a good lead.
2. Finals baby! Only 8 teams to talk about on footy shows this week. Hopefully the media decide the narrative is our 'under dog' kids living a dream of a club and its supporters. Exciting to be back in it with the talent to win finals.
3. I learned that there's a bit to raid if Brisbane collapses again. Martin, Luey, Rich, McStay would all look great in our jumper at the right price.

What's his contract status?

I was thinking today that I want his fleetness of thought and low penetrating kick putting it to T. Boyd as a priority. He'll be back in business after another preseason.

bulldogtragic
05-09-2015, 07:30 PM

I was thinking today that I want his fleetness of thought and low penetrating kick putting it to T. Boyd as a priority. He'll be back in business after another preseason.

Not sure. Libba, Wally etc feeding him to on feed to Boyd as you would be worth a bag trade.

boydogs
05-09-2015, 07:35 PM
1. Our game is based on intensity and effort, when we take it easy we look terrible
2. Roughead isn't a #1 ruck
3. We rested a lot more than the 3 players who didn't make the team sheet

comrade
05-09-2015, 09:51 PM
Hehe, last week everyone was lauding Roughead's job on Goldy and now he's not a #1 ruck. A week is a long time in footy, especially after a loss.

Doc26
05-09-2015, 09:59 PM

The concern with Rich this season has been with his effectiveness when more closely checked by the opposition. Let home roam free and he can be very destructive with his kicking but he has gone missing too often when he hasn't been given the latitude, granted that this is his first season back after his ACL.

Flamethrower
05-09-2015, 10:07 PM
1. As bad as we were today, Adelaide were worse. Both results will have little relevance next week.

2. This should have been a twilight or night game.

3. A meaningless round 23 win may set back Brisbane football 5 years if the Lions miss out on both Weitering and Schache (would happen if Blues lose Kreuzer and gain pick 2).

Eastdog
05-09-2015, 10:30 PM
1. Our game is based on intensity and effort, when we take it easy we look terrible
2. Roughead isn't a #1 ruck
3. We rested a lot more than the 3 players who didn't make the team sheet

But not half a team.

boydogs
06-09-2015, 02:56 AM
But not half a team.

More than half the team was taking it easy today

jeemak
06-09-2015, 03:18 AM
The concern with Rich this season has been with his effectiveness when more closely checked by the opposition. Let home roam free and he can be very destructive with his kicking but he has gone missing too often when he hasn't been given the latitude, granted that this is his first season back after his ACL.

How do you think he'd go in a side readily stacked with inside mids with him left outside ready to show his strengths?

I appreciate what you're saying, and you've pretty much summed up my only apprehension about him.

SonofScray
06-09-2015, 11:37 AM
1. The heat up there was a significant change coming up from Melbourne. Was only 24 I think, but I was cooking in the sun. At some level that'd have an impact on the lads. Either in game, or wrongly, post. I hope they get a decent recovery in.

2. Roberts and Cordy battled to stay in control of their area. The press up the field was getting pulled from side to side and it left them out of position quite a bit. I think the development of these guys is going to be in their capacity to defend one out when they have to.

3.If we lose too much momentum,too quickly, we just freeze up. This game felt a bit like the Saints game, albeit with a different scoreline and context injury wise.

Dancin' Douggy
06-09-2015, 11:46 AM
3. A meaningless round 23 win may set back Brisbane football 5 years if the Lions miss out on both Weitering and Schache (would happen if Blues lose Kreuzer and gain pick 2).

Ouch. That scenario really hurts. Would hate the blues to get picks 1 & 2.

Dancin' Douggy
06-09-2015, 11:49 AM
1. With Picken as the only player with 100+ games experience, we really struggled without the cool heads of Murphy, Boyd and Morris, and there is NO WAY we would have lost that game with those three in the team.

2. To come back and hit the front near the end when we were clearly having trouble adjusting to the heat was a good sign.

3. Bontempelli. What a young God he is.

Sedat
06-09-2015, 01:15 PM
2. This should have been a twilight or night game.
Only if it was a Friday night. Saturday night match would have completely compromised our preparation for this week. Flying back after midnight or even this morning would not have been ideal, and the humidity is sapping enough without the sun in any event.