PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the Western Bulldogs Kieran Collins

bulldogtragic
29-08-2015, 03:48 PM
The newest young man to be selected by our club to help take us to the promise land. Welcome aboard young man.

bulldogtragic
24-11-2015, 09:13 PM
Kieran Collins

SlimPickens
24-11-2015, 09:15 PM
Staggered he got to our pick. Wrapped that he did. Physical, shut down defender.

Eastdog
24-11-2015, 09:16 PM
Welcome Kieran. Good luck mate.

bulldogtragic
24-11-2015, 09:16 PM
Staggered he got to our pick. Wrapped that he did. Physical, shut down defender.

Mid to long term Roughy can play ruck if so desired. Great get.

GVGjr
24-11-2015, 09:18 PM
Kieran Collins is a monster, looking forward to see how he develops with us.

Eastdog
Great to secure a defender which is an area of need for us.

azabob

How was his mobility testing?

LostDoggy
24-11-2015, 09:21 PM
Absolutley stoked that we grabbed Kieran!!!!!!
Welcome aboard the D-Train KC!!!!!

Eastdog
24-11-2015, 09:21 PM
Any footage of Collins in action?

GVGjr
24-11-2015, 09:22 PM
How was his mobility testing?

14.2 beep test, tick
8.62 Agility, pretty good
Not bad over the sprints.

LostDoggy
24-11-2015, 09:23 PM

;) Your right G he is a Monster.
Could he be The Hulk or The Thing? :rolleyes:

Bulldog Revolution
24-11-2015, 09:26 PM
Great get, watched the highlights and he looks a fine kick also

Eastdog
24-11-2015, 09:28 PM

Is he a good mark too BR?

bulldogtragic
24-11-2015, 09:29 PM
With 12+ months learning from Dale Morris. Excellent.

Bulldog Revolution
24-11-2015, 09:30 PM
Is he a good mark too BR?

Others will be a better judge of that - I was impressed with his ability to hit people out of the backline, and very impressed with his set shot goal kicking when up forward

stefoid
24-11-2015, 09:31 PM
'dependable' / 'reliable' is how he is described. A version of Morris built for key defending?

Eastdog
With 12+ months learning from Dale Morris. Excellent.

This is when the experience and youth meet 👍

Dancin' Douggy
I can't believe he made it to our pick. All week I've been fantasizing this would happen.

GVGjr
24-11-2015, 09:37 PM
He won the hands efficiency at the combine. To me his kicking needs some work.

comrade
24-11-2015, 09:37 PM
Makes our decision to trade for 2 early second rounders look pretty astute.

Flamethrower
24-11-2015, 09:46 PM
Can't wait for the 1st intraclub match up between Keiran and Tommy Boyd.

LostDoggy
24-11-2015, 09:50 PM
can't wait for the 1st intraclub match up between keiran and tommy boyd.

heh heh ;);)

LostDoggy
24-11-2015, 09:58 PM
Buckenara, a great recruiter of talls, reckons he was a top 5 pick. Staggered he lasted to us. If we had 11, I reckon we would've taken him - makes Dunkley a free hit.

Dancin' Douggy
24-11-2015, 10:01 PM
It's like we had pick 2 for key defenders.

Go_Dogs
24-11-2015, 10:11 PM
A good needs based selection here and we probably got him at a fair place in the draft, particularly as there were a lot of clubs who would've been keen to add him in that 20-30 range.

Hopefully he proves the answer to our need for a key defender who can lock down the big key forwards. Also has scope to continue to improve.

F'scary
24-11-2015, 10:12 PM

I liked the way he looks immediately for a good disposal target. Will fit in with our style of moving the ball well.

bornadog
24-11-2015, 10:18 PM
Can't wait for the 1st intraclub match up between Keiran and Tommy Boyd.
At 193 he is going to have to be a smart player against the monster forwards

GVGjr
24-11-2015, 10:24 PM
At 193 he is going to have to be a smart player against the monster forwards

He's pretty decent at intercept marking and he measured in at 193.8cm. At 17 he still might grow a bit.
He has the build to compete with the monsters, he just needs to get a bit better athletically.

Smads57
24-11-2015, 10:25 PM
Good get - if he is still to turn 18 in December, is there any possibility that he is still growing?

Bulldog Revolution
24-11-2015, 10:26 PM
He won the hands efficiency at the combine. To me his kicking needs some work.

That said - he already looks a fair way ahead of MTalia

GVGjr
24-11-2015, 10:27 PM
Good get - if he is still to turn 18 in December, is there any possibility that he is still growing?

Very much so.

kruder
24-11-2015, 10:27 PM
His style reminds me of Josh Gibson a little. Had to pull the trigger when he was available, really like the selection.

LostDoggy
24-11-2015, 10:33 PM
KC is also a master intercept mark, is 95 kg at 18 and is a really strong contested mark. Nothing special as an athlete or as a disposer. Has a lot of comparisons with Brian Lake.

GVGjr
24-11-2015, 10:34 PM
KC is also a master intercept mark, is 95 kg at 18 and is a really strong contested mark. Nothing special as an athlete or as a disposer. Has a lot of comparisons with Brian Lake.

He measured in at the combine at 99.6kg and 193.8cm

Bulldog4life
24-11-2015, 10:35 PM

A monster...........

comrade
24-11-2015, 10:40 PM

Not even 18 yet. May still grow another cm or two, not that it will make much of a difference. His athleticism should improve in a pro environment so I'm not overly concerned with the queries on his speed/agility.

Seems to have a really high football IQ which puts him miles in front of Talia.

Our list has improved a heap with this off season.

GVGjr
24-11-2015, 10:43 PM
A monster...........

I think he grew 2cm during the season, so it's reasonable to think he could grown another 1 or 2cm.

We need to work on his athleticism because if that improves he will be a monster,

I remember hearing that Tom Hawkins was doing some work with the Vic Country boys and Collins was keen to test himself against him. He won't shirk from a challenge and doesn't lack confidence.

bulldogsman
24-11-2015, 10:43 PM

Out of interest, how did he test for arm length and leap?

Twodogs
24-11-2015, 10:45 PM
Dalrymple was just on SEN and could hardly keep from laughing that Collins had fallen to our pick. Said that he was part of the conversation when we had pick 11 and that yesterday he assessed that Collins was only a 5-10% chance of being available at our pick. He said Adams was more physically advanced and will ready to play next year.

GVGjr
24-11-2015, 10:49 PM
Out of interest, how did he test for arm length and leap?

Leap wasn't great, vertical jump was 58cm
Arm length 88.6 (top 11%)

bulldogsman
24-11-2015, 10:58 PM
Leap wasn't great, vertical jump was 58cm
Arm length 88.6 (top 11%)

Good to see he has good reach, it was a bit of a problem for Talia.

LostDoggy
24-11-2015, 11:00 PM
http://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/Media/Images/375854-tlsnewsportrait.jpg

comrade
24-11-2015, 11:03 PM
I remember reading somewhere that he was responsible for the best key forward throughout the year, allowing Weitering to get off the chain. Stoked to have the big man at the Dogs.

LostDoggy
24-11-2015, 11:06 PM
Dalrymple was just on SEN and could hardly keep from laughing that Collins had fallen to our pick. Said that he was part of the conversation when we had pick 11 and that yesterday he assessed that Collins was only a 5-10% chance of being available at our pick. He said Adams was more physically advanced and will ready to play next year.

Love it.

F'scary
25-11-2015, 12:28 AM
I remember reading somewhere that he was responsible for the best key forward throughout the year, allowing Weitering to get off the chain. Stoked to have the big man at the Dogs.

Wouldn't that be a great scenario? Carton misses the fact that Weitering got the 2nd best tall forward every week and paid overs on the misapprehension that he had been THE main tall defender. What a classic that would be, worthy of the Dees.

Meanwhile, we got THE main tall defender for pick 26.

Will be interesting to see how this one pans out over a few seasons.

Remi Moses
25-11-2015, 12:30 AM

Thought the same thing re. Lake.
The kid's still17!! He looks about 25!Did anyone see the look on Ross Lyon and Freo's faces?
They looked like they'd won the lottery and lost the winning ticket

Rocket Science
25-11-2015, 10:03 AM
ECSTATIC about this pick. Big lad, mobile, good user, hyper competitive, touch of swagger.

This bloke makes us a better side.

bornadog
25-11-2015, 10:05 AM
Can't believe he slipped through to our pick another great get.

Mofra
25-11-2015, 10:13 AM
5-10% chance sounds about, we gambled and it paid off.
So happy he slipped, we may actually see a proper Bulldogs spine in my lifetime!

strebla
25-11-2015, 12:11 PM
Kennedy ,Kellett,Foster and Beasley weren't bad Moffra !!

bornadog
25-11-2015, 12:38 PM
tweet from Kieran

Stoked to be apart of the @westernbulldogs (https://twitter.com/westernbulldogs) Its a dream come true and can't wait to get started #godogs (https://twitter.com/hashtag/godogs?src=hash)

Mofra
25-11-2015, 12:52 PM
Kennedy ,Kellett,Foster and Beasley weren't bad Moffra !!
Good, but wasn't Kellett just on the short side?

Tits was my favourite player as a young kid and I loved Fossie.
In any case, anytime there were more than 3 drops of rain on gameday Beasley had a sudden illness!

We always seemed to be just one spine position short, with Stringer building a base to play lead up forward we could feasibly have from 2017 a Boyd/Stringer combo forward, and a Collins/Roberts/Hamling/Adams combo back (or even Adams forward).

strebla
25-11-2015, 01:05 PM

In any case, anytime there were more than 3 drops of rain on gameday Beasley had a sudden illness!

We always seemed to be just one spine position short, with Stringer building a base to play lead up forward we could feasibly have from 2017 a Boyd/Stringer combo forward, and a Collins/Roberts/Hamling/Adams combo back (or even Adams forward).
Exciting isn't it I loved captain Kellett though he was great for us could have slotted Rance in too.

bornadog
25-11-2015, 01:13 PM

I agree, we have never had a monster FF, CHF, CHB and FB all in the same team in the past.

LostDoggy
25-11-2015, 02:56 PM
I reckon our best spine was around '76, with Sandilands FB, Salmon CHB, Quinlan CHF and Templeton FF, Dempsey Ruck, Hampshire 2nd Ruck and Peter Welsh as a tall utility.

bornadog
25-11-2015, 04:00 PM
http://image.tmclient.ticketmaster.com/lib/fe9515707d640c7871/m/5/DraftInsiderEDM_Hero.jpg (http://cp.mcafee.com/d/avndxMO738wrhoouojjjpjdTdETvvpd7bzOrVJ6XXXybOoVYSztZZAQsKf9K 6QrLLKe9K8CzASHjjV4MlUuJYav7Q6XjBm7bC_3RLxjU-wTqsGMVsSev89LLKfZvxOrXzxEVWZOWqbOv8LI8TvpVqWdAklrzCul3PWApm U6CNNJd4TsTsS03IvaNnFGSfBY9ZelyLPlSA_zO-4xqxN2_K8SooJHXfLL4beEc3L7fE8Eug7f466kvuthvv73y5AhPxEVhjTnn_ vZOV1RMQsCzBV1dRxxR5B11AQsE8zDb-O-gLL-X-zLdAaJMJVt5NwsYUawUKqejhOMUUyqejhOMnusjd7a9EVbETuKY-Mnjj1h2HsbvQRr7O-4-DaNnVGXivNVsSPtxx4S7hRSpEw0meH6y0RN6E0R9Cy0eGhEq82djh0gAhd41 ykOpEwmBoHgSOed-HXS7fga)

Drunken Bum
25-11-2015, 04:17 PM
Still struggling to get my head around that ^he's 17, i've never seen the term man-child fit someone quite like it does Collins before

bornadog
25-11-2015, 04:19 PM
http://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/AFL/Files/Images/Collins.jpg

Twodogs
25-11-2015, 04:57 PM
http://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/AFL/Files/Images/Collins.jpg

I like the sound of that. Especially the bit about his intense dislike of being beaten. I like that, I do.

always right
25-11-2015, 05:57 PM
Touch of Darren Glass about this bloke.

The Bulldogs Bite
25-11-2015, 06:06 PM
So why do we think he slid?

Seems to be very few negatives said about him.

A few Norf supporters are annoyed they took McKay over Collins.

Templeton31
25-11-2015, 06:16 PM

I was pumped Kieran got through to us. I can now see young guys who could come on in the coming years in every position except Ruck and even then maybe now Roughie will be the man in the Ruck.

However was re-listening to SEN Draft podcasts this arvo with Brett Anderson (I think the comment was made in the Demons podcast where he had Collins going around pick 10) and he said the question mark on Kieran for some clubs was whether he was a "man playing amongst boys" this year with his mature body.

Any thoughts from those who know more about this comment/criticism than I?

KT31
25-11-2015, 07:26 PM
I was pumped Kieran got through to us. I can now see young guys who could come on in the coming years in every position except Ruck and even then maybe now Roughie will be the man in the Ruck.

However was re-listening to SEN Draft podcasts this arvo with Brett Anderson (I think the comment was made in the Demons podcast where he had Collins going around pick 10) and he said the question mark on Kieran for some clubs was whether he was a "man playing amongst boys" this year with his mature body.

I can understand this comment at a lower or more junior level, but at his age and the level he was playing at one would think iyou could guage a pretty fair comparison to the next step.

Templeton31
25-11-2015, 09:02 PM
I can understand this comment at a lower or more junior level, but at his age and the level he was playing at one would think iyou could guage a pretty fair comparison to the next step.

Certainly his highlights package didn't look like he just outmuscled other guys. It was more his reading of the flight of the ball and clean hands.

LostDoggy
25-11-2015, 09:30 PM
Brett Anderson also said in a Twitter exchange a couple of seasons ago that he didn't rate the Dog's kids. Think he's an amateur who just likes the sound of his own voice personally. I'm pretty sure Kieran himself said that he hadn't really dominated up until this season where he just started to improve with his attacking and marking. End of the day, his body is just a few years ahead of where it would most likely get to anyway. A lot of resources go into watching and evaluating these guys over a few years (as we all know) so I'm happy to back the recruiting staff here. I'm confident we have a player on our hands here with Kieran as I am with Tommy Boyd.

Twodogs
25-11-2015, 10:30 PM
Brett Anderson also said in a Twitter exchange a couple of seasons ago that he didn't rate the Dog's kids. Think he's an amateur who just likes the sound of his own voice personally. I'm pretty sure Kieran himself said that he hadn't really dominated up until this season where he just started to improve with his attacking and marking. End of the day, his body is just a few years ahead of where it would most likely get to anyway. A lot of resources go into watching and evaluating these guys over a few years (as we all know) so I'm happy to back the recruiting staff here. I'm confident we have a player on our hands here with Kieran as I am with Tommy Boyd.

We have a kid who might be our fullback for the next ten years and a kid who will be our full forward for the next ten years.

LostDoggy
25-11-2015, 11:11 PM
We have a kid who might be our fullback for the next ten years and a kid who will be our full forward for the next ten years.

To potentially great bookends for a decade.;)

Ghost Dog
26-11-2015, 02:28 AM
Being pretty mobile, would make a good forward swingman. Can take a grab.

Mofra
26-11-2015, 10:35 AM
Shannon Hurn used to get that criticism too.
Ditto Tom Hawkins

Ozza
26-11-2015, 11:43 AM

I would have thought that, to some degree, this line of thinking would be offset by the fact that Collins is only 17 years old - so may actually have more growth in him that some of the other boys 6-12 months older than him.

LostDoggy
26-11-2015, 12:06 PM
I would have thought that, to some degree, this line of thinking would be offset by the fact that Collins is only 17 years old - so may actually have more growth in him that some of the other boys 6-12 months older than him.

Absolutely. Reinforced by KCs measurements, as compared to the start of the year he has put on 1-2 cm and 5 kg - the kid is still growing and is amongst the youngest so who's to say his rate of development can't be as high as others in the group.

Bulldog4life
26-11-2015, 01:51 PM

Because all the planets are starting to align for the next Bulldogs premiership TBB.

LostDoggy
26-11-2015, 02:17 PM

The way I see it, early in the year KC was a solid, sturdy kpd who was very good in his set role and a top 10ish pick.

Over the course of the year KC kept doing what he does to a similar very high level. It was an unusual draft, with many tall backs rated amongst the leading contenders.

In the interim, flashier talls emerged (eg Mackays) who were a bit taller and could pinch hit in the ruck and had bells and whistles. As the collective groupthink marvelled at the bells and whistles, KCs sturdy, highly effective key defender attributes started to slip by comparison. Surprisingly, some recruiters seem to have fallen in with this groupthink.

Good luck to the clubs with the shiny new toys, but I'm very confident we'll be more than happy with our value for money.

LostDoggy
26-11-2015, 03:01 PM
http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2015-11-25/collins-excited-to-be-a-bulldog

17?? Wow.

Of the 17 year olds I know, this guy seems more like one of their dads, physically and the way he carries himself.

Looks another strong young character/leader.

lemmon
26-11-2015, 06:00 PM
http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2015-11-25/collins-excited-to-be-a-bulldog

17?? Wow.

Of the 17 year olds I know, this guy seems more like one of their dads, physically and the way he carries himself.

Good call, sounds more settled than the interviewer in that vid!

GVGjr
26-11-2015, 08:07 PM

17?? Wow.

At the same age I was walking around bumping into things, Collins on the other hand is an impressive young man.

KT31
27-11-2015, 09:58 AM
Welcome to the Doggies Kieran, I am looking forward to you having a big impact on the field.

EasternWest
27-11-2015, 11:10 PM

17?? Wow.

We need to check his birth certificate. No way that behemoth is 17.

bulldogtragic
27-11-2015, 11:21 PM

So with Roughy already moved to the ruck, Fletch Roberts has gone from our easily biggest key defender to our easily third biggest defender.

Greystache
28-11-2015, 12:16 AM

He looks 25!

Like the opening bowler from Carlton I faced in the Dowling Shield who I started questioning his age when he drove to the game with his wife and 3 children.

LostDoggy
28-11-2015, 12:29 AM
I remember in the early 80s, there was an U19s player for Richmond who had a bigger beard than Gary Baker. Suss.

always right
28-11-2015, 11:16 AM
I remember in the early 80s, there was an U19s player for Richmond who had a bigger beard than Gary Baker. Suss.

I played under 17's with a mate who had a full beard. Freaked out opposition supporters who demanded every match to see his birth certificate.

The Underdog
28-11-2015, 03:02 PM
I played under 17's with a mate who had a full beard. Freaked out opposition supporters who demanded every match to see his birth certificate.

I got belted by a guy in Under 18's with tattoos and facial hair, named "Jungle"

bornadog
03-12-2015, 01:33 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CVQ2qxvUkAAyWMj.jpg:large

Western Bulldogs draftee Kieran Collins says the idea of being a senior footballer is starting to sink in, as he received his guernsey number and locker this week.
Collins will wear number 32 in 2016, after being recruited by the Dogs with pick 26 in the AFL National Draft.

“Just sitting at my locker and seeing the number up there, it definitely does feel real and it’s all exciting.”
Collins says the draftees have been eased into training in the last week, but have been straight into skills sessions and drills.

“The first few days have started off pretty slow, with medical screenings and getting all the checks from the physios and the doctors.
“(We) started to train on Saturday, and yesterday our first weights session and main training session and today just getting into the swing of things with the development academy.”

Collins had an unusual experience on draft night, with some confusion on draft night as to whether his name had been called out or not.
The 17-year-old said he was initially unsure if he had been drafted, but relief set in after being assured he was headed to the Bulldogs.

“It was a bit daunting, my coach came up to me and said he heard my name called up but I wasn’t sure.
“So I had to wait another five or ten minutes before I found out on the board, but it just added to the night and made it exciting.”

The local Langwarrin boy will move out of home to be closer to Whitten Oval, but says he’s relieved to be only an hours’ drive from his family.
“I’m very happy to be staying close to home and family and friends, I’m looking forward to it and just enjoying it.”

link (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2015-12-03/collins-to-wear-32)

Rocket Science
03-12-2015, 02:21 PM
'32'? It's going to take some adjusting seeing that number flash by without the heart immediately jumping into the mouth.

A little snippet shared with me regarding Collins and the draft...

Am told our unsuccessful efforts to trade up to within the top six of the draft were apparently with a view to selecting one Kieran Collins.

You can imagine how the recruiting team felt when he was still there at 26.

BornInDroopSt'54
12-12-2015, 09:52 PM

So KC is about 6'4" in the old speak. At 17, taller and heavier than Rick Kennedy. He's heavy and strong enough to put body pressure on the monster forwards but you wouldn't expect him to win contested marks against them without a decent leap. That's not needed anyhow. Didn't see him at training but this list is almost too good to be true. It has to be to beat the Hawks, although time supports the Bulldogs.

LostDoggy
12-12-2015, 11:26 PM
He's also not yet 18 and did grow through the year - In December last year his height was 192.5 and he weighed 90.6, so in just under 12 months he's put on 1.3 cm and 9 kg. Hopefully a little more growth to come, so he'll be a genuine monster of a kpd.

Dry Rot
13-12-2015, 12:46 PM
Saw an article on the Dogs site claiming Collins is 195cm FWIW.

bulldogtragic
13-12-2015, 05:02 PM

Are we doing this again this year for new forum members? :D

I saw him listed at 197cm somewhere...

azabob
13-12-2015, 05:13 PM

I certainly hope we are... FWIW I saw him listed at 191.7

bornadog
13-12-2015, 05:26 PM
194cm :)

LostDoggy
13-12-2015, 05:29 PM
I saw one of our guys listed at 20 cm, but I swear I strayed on to the site by mistake....

F'scary
13-12-2015, 06:12 PM

Appreciate the tenor of your comment...but allow me two words: Macrae, Bontempelli.

GVGjr
13-12-2015, 06:44 PM

I'll go with the combine results.
He measured in at the combine at 193.8cm and weighed in at 99.6kg

chef
13-12-2015, 07:07 PM
Being only 17 he's still got a few more years to keep growing too.

Murphy'sLore
14-12-2015, 03:42 PM
As of today, he's eighteen now.

Twodogs
14-12-2015, 04:17 PM
Happy birthday big feller!!!!!!

LostDoggy
14-12-2015, 11:19 PM
Would take all the fun out of turning 18 when you've been able to get into bars without being asked for ID for years.

always right
16-12-2015, 09:53 AM
Would take all the fun out of turning 18 when you've been able to get into bars without being asked for ID for years.

Apparently he commonly gets asked if he has a seniors card.

LostDoggy
16-12-2015, 10:10 AM
Apparently he commonly gets asked if he has a seniors card.

I know somebody who gets the free seniors/pensioners coffee from McDonalds even though she's 49 and fully employed. Rightly gets heaps for it too.

Suspect KC is a bit too classy for that move, but he'd be a fair chance of getting the coffee if he tried it:)

stefoid
16-12-2015, 05:32 PM
Reggie!

Twodogs
16-12-2015, 06:12 PM
I know somebody who gets the free seniors/pensioners coffee from McDonalds even though she's 49 and fully employed. Rightly gets heaps for it too.

Suspect KC is a bit too classy for that move, but he'd be a fair chance of getting the coffee if he tried it:)

I'd give him free coffee if he asked for free coffee.,

BornInDroopSt'54
17-12-2015, 12:59 AM
Not knowing what Jonathan Brown's dad looks like, I say KC looks like Jonathan Brown's dad.

bornadog
17-12-2015, 10:29 AM
Not knowing what Jonathan Brown's dad looks like, I say KC looks like Jonathan Brown's dad.

http://www.footycards.com.au/images/watermarked/1/detailed/10/1979_VFL-AFL_Scanlens_149_Brian_Brown_Fitzroy_Lions.jpg

Played for Fitzroy and Essendon.

BornInDroopSt'54
17-12-2015, 03:05 PM
http://www.footycards.com.au/images/watermarked/1/detailed/10/1979_VFL-AFL_Scanlens_149_Brian_Brown_Fitzroy_Lions.jpg

Played for Fitzroy and Essendon.

Jonathan does look like Brian but neither look as manly as KC.

Twodogs
17-12-2015, 05:14 PM
Jonathan does look like Brian but neither look as manly as KC.

I'd back KC to grow a full beard quicker than either of them.

Axe Man
17-12-2015, 05:50 PM
Collins reminds me a little of Cameron Smith from Melbourne Storm - now he's in his early 30s he has finally caught up with the age he has looked since he was a teenager!

LostDoggy
19-05-2016, 09:21 PM
Congrats KC on your debut this weekend.
Hope you Rip 'Em to Shreds!!!

Twodogs
19-05-2016, 09:48 PM
Go Dad!

bornadog
19-05-2016, 11:36 PM
Can't wait to see him in action.

Axe Man
20-05-2016, 11:29 AM
'Dad' up for baptism of fire: 'He fights until the death' (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-05-20/new-bulldog-kieran-collins-ready-for-baptism-of-fire)

A BAPTISM of fire against an imposing Greater Western Sydney forward line won't worry Western Bulldogs debutant Kieran Collins, according AFL Academy coach Brenton Sanderson.

The hulking defender impressed in the NAB Challenge against the Giants and recently in the VFL, and Sanderson believes the 18-year-old is physically ready to combat an attack featuring in-form big men Jeremy Cameron, Jon Patton and Rory Lobb.

The Dandenong Stingrays' product, who's been given the nickname 'Dad' by teammates because of his mature looks, is the last of the Dogs' four 2015 draftees to debut following Josh Dunkley and Marcus Adams in round one, and Bailey Williams in last week's win over Melbourne.

Collins will be the 11th Bulldog to debut since Luke Beveridge took over as coach at the start of 2015, with only the Demons (12) blooding more players in that period.

"I rate him really highly; he was one of the big improvers in the national academy program in 2015," Sanderson told AFL.com.au.

"He started off the year really well and he just kept on getting better and better, so he'll adjust really quickly."

"He's got fantastic character and he's certainly made of the right stuff."

The Bulldogs were pleasantly surprised when the Under 18 All Australian was still available at their second selection (pick 26), after his attacking tendencies and competiveness saw him rise from a rookie chance to a widely predicted top 20 pick.

Finishing fourth for intercept marks at NAB AFL Under 18 championships and claiming the clean hands test at the draft combine were evidence of his vast improvement.

"He's an intercept marker and he got better and better at getting his hands on the footy and providing some offensive drive," Sanderson said

"It didn't matter who he played on, he had the ability to beat guys who where taller and stronger and he had great success against players who were smaller and more agile.

"He gained great confidence from beating a few players who went early in the draft (Josh Schache and Sam Weideman), but the thing I like about Kieran is he picks up stuff really quickly and learns on the job.

"And he fights until the death, there's no doubt about that."

In further good news, rugged midfielder Koby Stevens will return from an abdominal strain that saw the him miss past fortnight.

Before injury struck, the 24-year-old was in career best form by averaging 25 disposals and five tackles a game.

"Koby's building out a nice little year," Bulldogs midfield coach Joel Corey told the club's website.

"It's a little bit unfortunate the way it was interrupted, [but] he's worked hard in rehab, and hopefully he comes back in and performs straight away."

Lin Jong, Mitch Honeychurch and veteran ruckman Will Minson join Toby McLean, Bailey Dale, Bailey Williams and Caleb Daniel on an extended bench ahead of the Sunday's clash at Spotless Stadium.

KT31
20-05-2016, 11:41 AM
Good luck to Kieran, wishing him a long and very successful career at the Doggies.

Bulldog4life
20-05-2016, 11:54 AM
Really looking forward to seeing Dad making his debut.

Ozza
20-05-2016, 02:43 PM
Good luck to the big young fella.
Hope he is one of those players that once he is in the side, he stays there for good.

BornInDroopSt'54
20-05-2016, 04:19 PM
Congratulations Kieran, am looking forward to you becoming part of the face and the rear end of the Bulldogs, the ballsy end.

josie
20-05-2016, 05:57 PM
Go KC!! Shake yer bootie!! From write up and the little I have seen of him in VFL he is a body on body/ close check defender with great never say die attitude. Just what we need to support interceptor type back men like Woody and Adams. Good luck to our man child in game #1. Got a feeling it will be first of many.

Eastdog
20-05-2016, 06:04 PM
Good luck Kieran. Hope you have a great debut. If you didn't know you would think that he has already play many senior games before :)

bornadog
20-05-2016, 06:42 PM
Played on Patton in the practise match and beat him. That will give him some confidence

EasternWest
20-05-2016, 07:30 PM
Can't wait to see him play.

bornadog
21-05-2016, 02:35 PM
From Twitter

Matthew Lloyd (https://twitter.com/MatthewLloyd18)
✔ ‎@MatthewLloyd18 (https://twitter.com/MatthewLloyd18)

All the best tomorrow and congrats on your debut game for the Bulldogs @kierancollo19 (https://twitter.com/kierancollo19). Everyone associated with @Haileybury (https://twitter.com/Haileybury) is behind you.

bornadog
21-05-2016, 06:00 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ci9iaMXUoAEbKyC.jpg

The Pieman presents the Guernsey

see here (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2016-05-21/beasley-presents-collins-guernsey)

Ghost Dog
21-05-2016, 06:04 PM
From Twitter

The only club they care about at Haileybury is Melbourne.

Loved Beezer " Let's shut those former GWS players out of the game" :D

bornadog
18-03-2018, 05:53 PM
Keiran needs to start making an impact in games. He is still young (just turned 20), 194cm and 100kg.

I would like to see him put together some good games at VFL level and try and force his way into te seniors.

bornadog
18-03-2018, 06:20 PM
Will he make it?

Bulldog4life
18-03-2018, 06:27 PM
Will he make it?

He was only given a one year contract at the end of last season so I presume the Club is unsure too. I hope he does as he seemed to improve last year.

GVGjr
18-03-2018, 06:53 PM
Will he make it?

Needs a decent run with injuries but I think we should stick with him.
There has a been a tendency to be critical of the club for not drafting enough talls but when we do and knowing they will take time we become a bit impatient with them.

We might come under some pressure with list spots by the end of the year and that could be a big part of the decision making.

He also needs some best on ground type performances at the VFL level.

Go_Dogs
18-03-2018, 07:15 PM
I was just thinking about him, because as soon as the news of Adams came through I was speaking to a few friends and Young and Roberts came up as options, however Collins didn't. He's still young and should have more time on his side (compared to Roberts, who has had a lot of time and still isn't a lock each week) but he does need to show improvement.

It's got to be a concern Naughton and Young both seem quite a way in front already.

Twodogs
18-03-2018, 11:53 PM
Needs a decent run with injuries but I think we should stick with him.
There has a been a tendency to be critical of the club for not drafting enough talls but when we do and knowing they will take time we become a bit impatient with them.

We might come under some pressure with list spots by the end of the year and that could be a big part of the decision making.

He also needs some best on ground type performances at the VFL level.

I was just thinking about him, because as soon as the news of Adams came through I was speaking to a few friends and Young and Roberts came up as options, however Collins didn't. He's still young and should have more time on his side (compared to Roberts, who has had a lot of time and still isn't a lock each week) but he does need to show improvement.

It's got to be a concern Naughton and Young both seem quite a way in front already.

If Naughton comes in and plays well from day one then how does that affect Kieran? Does it afford him a little leeway given the job we drafted him for is being done so he can develop without as much pressure or does it drop him one spot back on the list and leave him at risk of being overtaken my more recent draftees?

Ozza
19-03-2018, 09:49 AM
I was fairly negative in my opinion of Collins, until a few of his VFL games in the second half of last season - where he showed good reading of the play, and better use of the footy.

I think he will be ok - might just not be this year.

Mofra
19-03-2018, 10:13 AM
It's hard - our best tall backmen are quick but don't have great footskills, we have two KPDs with excellent footskills (Fletch & Dad) but they both lack pace and I really doubt we could play both in the same side.

Bulldog4life
02-07-2018, 04:37 PM
Dad played very well last week. I read he has trimmed down too. He is out of contract at the end of the year. I hope he can keep his good form happening. I like him as a player. It won't be easy considering he didn't have a pre season.

azabob
02-07-2018, 08:08 PM
With starting zones likely coming in, the stay at home big forward may come back in vogue. Collins may be worth holding onto for a further 12 months.

bornadog
02-07-2018, 08:48 PM
With starting zones likely coming in, the stay at home big forward may come back in vogue. Collins may be worth holding onto for a further 12 months.

Still only 20 years old

bulldogtragic
02-07-2018, 08:48 PM
No brainer signing to me. Won't get much trade wise, won't cost much salary. Plenty of upside still there. Sign and then move onto the next contract we should be offering.

westdog54
03-07-2018, 12:24 AM
I'd love to retain Dad as well, but looking bigger picture, is he the sort of player who, if presented a good opportunity at another club, might be worth an upgrade in draft points towards our F/S and academy bids?

GVGjr
03-07-2018, 02:05 AM
I'd love to retain Dad as well, but looking bigger picture, is he the sort of player who, if presented a good opportunity at another club, might be worth an upgrade in draft points towards our F/S and academy bids?

It's possible but at the very least given his injuries we could move him to the rookie list.
If someone offered a 2nd round pick for our 3rd round and Collins we might be interested but I'd still like to keep him.

westdog54
03-07-2018, 02:14 AM
It's possible but at the very least given his injuries we could move him to the rookie list.
If someone offered a 2nd round pick for our 3rd round and Collins we might be interested but I'd still like to keep him.

I agree but at the same time our lack of live picks may force our hand. We're going to have to give something up if we feel the need to strengthen our position.

Bulldog4life
03-07-2018, 10:26 AM
'Dad' up for baptism of fire: 'He fights until the death' (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-05-20/new-bulldog-kieran-collins-ready-for-baptism-of-fire)

A BAPTISM of fire against an imposing Greater Western Sydney forward line won't worry Western Bulldogs debutant Kieran Collins, according AFL Academy coach Brenton Sanderson.

The hulking defender impressed in the NAB Challenge against the Giants and recently in the VFL, and Sanderson believes the 18-year-old is physically ready to combat an attack featuring in-form big men Jeremy Cameron, Jon Patton and Rory Lobb.

The Dandenong Stingrays' product, who's been given the nickname 'Dad' by teammates because of his mature looks, is the last of the Dogs' four 2015 draftees to debut following Josh Dunkley and Marcus Adams in round one, and Bailey Williams in last week's win over Melbourne.

Collins will be the 11th Bulldog to debut since Luke Beveridge took over as coach at the start of 2015, with only the Demons (12) blooding more players in that period.

"I rate him really highly; he was one of the big improvers in the national academy program in 2015," Sanderson told AFL.com.au.

"He started off the year really well and he just kept on getting better and better, so he'll adjust really quickly."

"He's got fantastic character and he's certainly made of the right stuff."

The Bulldogs were pleasantly surprised when the Under 18 All Australian was still available at their second selection (pick 26), after his attacking tendencies and competiveness saw him rise from a rookie chance to a widely predicted top 20 pick.

Finishing fourth for intercept marks at NAB AFL Under 18 championships and claiming the clean hands test at the draft combine were evidence of his vast improvement.

"He's an intercept marker and he got better and better at getting his hands on the footy and providing some offensive drive," Sanderson said

"It didn't matter who he played on, he had the ability to beat guys who where taller and stronger and he had great success against players who were smaller and more agile.

"He gained great confidence from beating a few players who went early in the draft (Josh Schache and Sam Weideman), but the thing I like about Kieran is he picks up stuff really quickly and learns on the job.

"And he fights until the death, there's no doubt about that."

I said it before in another thread if Sanderson thinks of dad so highly there is a good chance he will end up there. Especially now that Dunn has gone down. I still would like to keep him. His best footy is in front of him and he has improved every year. We might regret it badly.

Greystache
03-07-2018, 03:53 PM
I'd be delisting him. If we really want to give him a bit more time then we can rookie list him.

He's slow by foot, which isn't terminal if you can manage your lack of mobility by being clever, unfortunately for me he seems just as slow of mind. He doesn't read the play well enough or anticipate the play to make up for his lack of athleticism. I hope he can find a way to turn it around but I can't see anything to persist with myself.

Remi Moses
03-07-2018, 03:58 PM
I’m not sure on the body of work of one afl game I could draw any conclusion on Kieran
I think he improved markedly at vfl level last season, and he just hasn’t played this year.
I love Dale Morris, but if we’re playing the futures market Collins gets a run at it .

chef
03-07-2018, 04:10 PM
Naughton, Trengove, Adams, Cordy and Young are all ahead of him as KPDs. Hes really just taking a list spot that'd be better off to someone who plays in an area of need like a mid. I'd be delisting.

Bulldog4life
03-07-2018, 04:11 PM
I’m not sure on the body of work of one afl game I could draw any conclusion on Kieran
I think he improved markedly at vfl level last season, and he just hasn’t played this year.
I love Dale Morris, but if we’re playing the futures market Collins gets a run at it .

This makes sense to me too.

Greystache
03-07-2018, 05:07 PM
This makes sense to me too.

Surely Collins and Morris are polar opposites as footballers. The only similarity seems to be they're male, human, and play football in the defensive end of the ground?

Morris is undersized, quick, and uses his smarts to play at AFL level.

Collins is big, slow, and struggles to think on his feet quickly.

Twodogs
03-07-2018, 05:16 PM
I'd be delisting him. If we really want to give him a bit more time then we can rookie list him.

He's slow by foot, which isn't terminal if you can manage your lack of mobility by being clever, unfortunately for me he seems just as slow of mind. He doesn't read the play well enough or anticipate the play to make up for his lack of athleticism. I hope he can find a way to turn it around but I can't see anything to persist with myself.

It's strange because when you read his TAC cup profile it mentions how quick he is and that anticipation and intercept marking are big strengths of his. Like you I've seen no evidence of either of those things being a strength.

chef
03-07-2018, 05:17 PM
Call me sentimental but I would hope we don't shaft a legend like Morris just so we get to see if a kid has it or not.

He earns a game on merit and Morris owns his spot until hes not worthy of it.

Bulldog Joe
03-07-2018, 10:34 PM
I am in the camp to move Collins on.

While he may make it, we already have Naughton, Cordy, Young and 3 more years of Trengove.
We are well catered for defensive talls. I would even prefer Roughead as a defender.

If we could get something on the trade table it would be a bonus.
Hopefully he finishes the VFL season well and sparks interest from someone else.

josie
03-07-2018, 10:43 PM
He does look to have improved in his return from injury in last 3 or so VFL games. If there is an injury to one of our backline why not give him a go? Or even give Trengove a rest for a bit.

If Roberts and Roughy or one of them is cut loose at end of year does it does not hurt to have a back-up. Especially as Adams is injury prone and Moz is 1 serious injury away from pulling the pin. If Collins plays ok in seniors then we either keep him as backup or might increase chance of other clubs to offer say a later round pick instead of possibly nothing.

hujsh
03-07-2018, 10:53 PM
I'm a little confused as people are saying he's slow of foot and slow of mind but I recall he was supposedly doing a decent job of playing on smaller players at times last year.

I find these two things hard to reconcile.

bornadog
03-07-2018, 11:26 PM
I'm a little confused as people are saying he's slow of foot and slow of mind but I recall he was supposedly doing a decent job of playing on smaller players at times last year.

I find these two things hard to reconcile.

I thought he played well against North, and that is the only time I have seen him this year. As mentioned in the VFL game day thread, he has trimmed down and was moving nicely, took a ripper mark in a pack of 5 players.

Not sure what will happen to him, but as I mentioned above, he is only 20 and not 21 till December, and we know the big blokes take time to mature.

Sedat
03-07-2018, 11:40 PM
Interesting that both Collins and Wietering were the standout best 2 key defenders in their draft year and both have really struggled to impact at AFL level.

Would be good to have a look at Collins for a few weeks this season if possible. No doubt there will be some completely unexpected injuries coming up that will open the door for him.

Dry Rot
04-07-2018, 12:19 AM
Have read rumours FWIW that Collins is heading to the Hawks.

westdog54
04-07-2018, 02:06 AM
Have read rumours FWIW that Collins is heading to the Hawks.

As it stands they are four draft places ahead of us.

I know its been discussed on other threads but can someone fill me in on what live picks we have at this stage?

Mofra
04-07-2018, 10:52 AM

I know its been discussed on other threads but can someone fill me in on what live picks we have at this stage?
This is really good - updated after every round:

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/2018-nominal-afl-draft-order-based-on-current-ladder.1179329/

End of round 15

https://cdndata.bigfooty.com/2018/07/520165_ac8fe39003d6a2e257b43b610d9f1675.png

bulldogtragic
04-07-2018, 11:08 AM

5, 41, 59, 60, 77, 95, 113 (assuming 6 spots to fill on draft night)

westdog54
04-07-2018, 11:39 AM
Thanks BT.

Would the hawks do Collins and 59 for 45?

Or Collins and 41 for 27?

bulldogtragic
04-07-2018, 01:47 PM
Thanks BT.

Would the hawks do Collins and 59 for 45?

Or Collins and 41 for 27?

Hypothetically speaking:

(A) Pick 59 into 45 nets us an extra 189 points. Equal to pick 56 stand alone in draft points.

(B) Pick 41 into 27 nets us an extra 291 points. Equal to pick 48 stand alone in draft points.

Collins as a third rounder pick 45 (347 points) would be a better outcome if a straight trade was possible, and we were happy to let him go.

Another realistic option is if they add pick 62 (straight or for 77 going back to them) or 123 points, to the first option of 59>45, that would gives us a net 312 points benefit. If they had trades around there that increased their hand fractionally, we could nudge a few more points. Two mid to late trade order changes for Collins might interest them, and we get a mid third rounder worth of draft points to buy West & Khamis.

That gives us 347 points (pick 45), 412 points (pick 41), 146 (pick 60) & 123 (pick 62)

1,028 draft points. We are probably around 400-500 draft points off West (circa 15) & Khamis (circa 30). If just one free agent does leave for a third rounder or better, then we can keep pick 5, land West & Khamis and then look at NGAs Chatfield & Dawson and upgrading Gowers & Lynch to avoid a heap of late speculative picks. So here we'd lose Collins and one of Roughy/Dahl/Libba/Wallis.

soupman
04-07-2018, 04:25 PM
I'd keep Collins.

Roberts leaves this year. Contract paid out.

Preferred defensive trio is Adams, Naughton and Morris. Adams is super injury prone, Morris is injury prone and on the verge of retiring.

Other key defenders are Cordy (playing forward) and Young, who is not a key defender but more of a tall flanker.

Trengove is the most physically reliable but I think he was brought to the club to play forward, not sure if we see him returning there.

That's 6 key defenders, which would normally be enough, except two are probably only available for half the season, one is a flanker and two are both better options as aggressive forwards, on top of Naughton maybe being developed at the other end.

Considering Collins was highly rated by us at draft time, was the youngest player in the draft and was always going to take time, and has steadily been improving on his deficiencies in the VFL apparently, then I would keep him as the last key defender on the list. Especially when we are trading him for a 15 pick upgrade in the third round. Yuck. Not worth it. We have plenty of list spots to fit him in. Next year he has to start showing something more though.

hujsh
04-07-2018, 10:20 PM
Despite our apparent glut of KPDs we don't really have a reliable option for the Gorillas of the league. Trengove is serviceable and Adams might be capable if he's able to get a consistent run at it but I have a feeling that if we let Collins go to Hawthorn we'll look back and lament the decision if we don't get something decent for him.

Twodogs
04-07-2018, 10:25 PM
Despite our apparent glut of KPDs we don't really have a reliable option for the Gorillas of the league. Trengove is serviceable and Adams might be capable if he's able to get a consistent run at it but I have a feeling that if we let Collins go to Hawthorn we'll look back and lament the decision if we don't get something decent for him.

A bit like Melbourne must when they see Frawley play for Hawthorn. He's playing some good footy for the Hawks when he gets on the park.

FrediKanoute
04-07-2018, 10:42 PM
We can't keep them all. If releasing Collins allows us to improve he list in an area which we are deficient then he has served his purpose. If we don't release Collins, and Trengove and Roberts are contracted and MOrris gets another year it effectively means we need to choose between Young and Cordy.

Collins MAY improve and make us look like idiots, but right now a 3rd rounder for COllins would be great!

hujsh
05-07-2018, 12:45 AM
We can't keep them all. If releasing Collins allows us to improve he list in an area which we are deficient then he has served his purpose. If we don't release Collins, and Trengove and Roberts are contracted and MOrris gets another year it effectively means we need to choose between Young and Cordy.

Collins MAY improve and make us look like idiots, but right now a 3rd rounder for COllins would be great!

I'd end Roberts contract long before I made a choice between any of the other 3. Pay him out and take the hit in the cap if it has to be done but we clearly don't have a spot for him at any level with him playing forward in the VFL

Webby
05-07-2018, 08:41 AM
I haven't seen much of Collins this year, but saw a lot of him last year.
My thoughts were that he badly needs an extra yard of pace and some improved agility.
If they're on the up, then keep him. If they're not, then I can't see him making the grade.

I reckon the club will know the answers to those questions and make their assessment.

Mofra
05-07-2018, 10:08 AM
Not this year, but we keep Adams as the first gorilla option and Naughton develops his size in time, I think we can cover them.

Mofra
05-07-2018, 10:09 AM
Trengove is the most physically reliable but I think he was brought to the club to play forward, not sure if we see him returning there.
Trengove is the designated "Mr Fixit" from listening to interviews this year, will play everywhere.

S Coast Simon
05-07-2018, 10:37 AM
We didn’t do Collins any favours for his mental state by playing him on Jeremy Cameron in his first game. Cameron was in elite form back then as well. What did that smashing do to his confidence. I would like to keep him but as people have pointed out there is a few ahead of him at this stage

Bulldog Joe
05-07-2018, 01:04 PM
I am not opposed to keeping Collins, although he probably does still have some trade value.

We certainly cannot keep all of Morris, Roberts and Collins along with those we should definitely retain.

Adams, Cordy, Naughton and Young are ahead and Trengove is with us until the end of 2021.

We need more midfield run and we won't achieve that by holding all the tall defenders.

Mofra
05-07-2018, 01:12 PM
Rumours of Adelaide being interested in Young, SA boy. We do have a glut of tall forwards and were probably surprised Naughton fell to us last year.

Rocket Science
05-07-2018, 01:52 PM
Despite an apparent queue of key defenders, not sure impatiently pulling the pin on a largely untried 20 year old is particularly wise asset management.

He needs to show something, obviously. Give him a platform to do it.

Might also up his trade value too if we go that route.

bornadog
05-07-2018, 02:54 PM
https://scontent-syd2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/36617985_10156427116222487_27070392887672832_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=ffe8c710f825c52d88ac7e09328053cc&oe=5BECA21C

Twodogs
05-07-2018, 03:42 PM
Rumours of Adelaide being interested in Young, SA boy. We do have a glut of tall forwards and were probably surprised Naughton fell to us last year.

Just so long as we get fair trade value. I'm still annoyed with what we got for Hamling.

Axe Man
05-07-2018, 03:52 PM
Just so long as we get fair trade value. I'm still annoyed with what we got for Hamling.

Completely different situation as Young is contracted.

Twodogs
05-07-2018, 03:55 PM
Completely different situation as Young is contracted.

I suppose. I'm still annoyed though.

Axe Man
05-07-2018, 04:23 PM
I suppose. I'm still annoyed though.

After a few trades we ended up turning Hamling into Lipinski so it's not all bad.

Twodogs
05-07-2018, 06:03 PM
After a few trades we ended up turning Hamling into Lipinski so it's not all bad.

I like Lippy. He can kick straight.

I'm just annoyed that we lost Hamling generally. I rate him.

EasternWest
05-07-2018, 06:37 PM
I like Lippy. He can kick straight.

I'm just annoyed that we lost Hamling generally. I rate him.

I like him because he can play.

The Pie Man
06-07-2018, 11:46 AM
I like him because he can play.

Lippa seems like a good human too - if he can keep finding it 20 + times a game and use it, I'll remain a fan....but I'm not entirely convinced yet. Lack of pace the main concern

Mofra
06-07-2018, 12:01 PM
Lippa seems like a good human too - if he can keep finding it 20 + times a game and use it, I'll remain a fan....but I'm not entirely convinced yet. Lack of pace the main concern
Ditto - but I see him as a Gia type, can use the ball well from a contested situation but useful forward too despite a lack of pace because of his natural football brain.

bornadog
06-07-2018, 12:39 PM
Ditto - but I see him as a Gia type, can use the ball well from a contested situation but useful forward too despite a lack of pace because of his natural football brain.

He can also run all day, great endurance.

The Pie Man
06-07-2018, 02:13 PM
He can also run all day, great endurance.

Which I'm guessing is why he's pushed up to the wing/HB recently - took Lachie a while to find a similar role, perhaps this is Lipinski's too.

Mofra, he could develop half of the forward craft of Gia we'd all be pretty happy.