PDA

View Full Version : Other Clubs Draft Day

bulldogtragic
29-08-2015, 03:51 PM
Anything interesting from other clubs? Any sliders or clubs looking to have had a standout draft?

GVGjr
28-11-2015, 12:02 AM
I can't let this thread die off without at least one contribution.

Have North renamed their Arden Street HQ to Agein Street? While I quite like Farren Ray, North have been topping on older players over recent years and this appears to be an act of desperation.

bulldogtragic
28-11-2015, 12:34 AM
I can't let this thread die off without at least one contribution.

Have North renamed their Arden Street HQ to Agein Street? While I quite like Farren Ray, North have been topping on older players over recent years and this appears to be an act of desperation.

Almost as if Mick Malthouse was asked to consult to NM on the basis of what would he do in the circumstances to save his job, placate members and ensure mediocrity if still at Carlton.

boydogs
28-11-2015, 12:46 AM
Gold Coast's looks really bad. All style and no substance

bornadog
28-11-2015, 12:54 AM
I think Nick Coughlan ended up at the Saints as a rookie

Twodogs
28-11-2015, 12:57 AM
Almost as if Mick Malthouse was asked to consult to NM on the basis of what would he do in the circumstances to save his job, placate members and ensure mediocrity if still at Carlton.

Malthouse trying to save his job with short-termism (man that guy is a cancer. Once he us in your club, no matter how much damage he is doing only radical intervention can cut him out completely.) wasnt placating too many members from what I could see.

LostDoggy
28-11-2015, 12:57 AM
I think Nick Coughlan ended up at the Saints as a rookie

Yup. I think a lot of us had Darcy MacPherson and Coughlan as our late draft/rookie picks through the year, but they've ended up at GCS and St Kilda. Good luck to them both.

F'scary
28-11-2015, 11:56 AM
Then there is the theory about Weitering: Collins made him look good.

F'scary
28-11-2015, 12:05 PM
Also, (and I shoud do some research to substantiate this) I thought I noticed that some clubs appeared to be drafting tall KP players when they have little use for them - due to their lists already having a surfeit of the same positions - unless they plan to play huge forward and back lines in the future. Melbourne, Carlton and Geelong seem to come to mind.

This pleased me as by selecting on that basis they were demonstrating that they clearly have no idea about how to put a side together. If 2015 proved anything to anyone, Bevo showed that a mobile team which moves the ball quickly and has flexibility in the positions players cover will run circles around teams that appear to be selected on the principle that if you win the average height and weight stats, you must be the better team.

Dancin' Douggy
28-11-2015, 12:12 PM

That's a delicious theory. I love it.

Twodogs
28-11-2015, 12:30 PM
That's a delicious theory. I love it.

Especially if Weitering decides that he wants to spend the best years of his footy life playing in Premiership teams with his old mate so he transfers to us.

azabob
28-11-2015, 03:25 PM
With the personnel changes at Essendon I thought they had a very open mind and clear strategy which led to a very successful trade period which allowed them to have early picks in the national draft and by the looks of it nailed them.

They have then followed it up with some exciting prospects such as Nyuon and Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti in the rookie draft.

By the looks of it they finally may be starting to get their act together.

Twodogs
28-11-2015, 03:53 PM
With the personnel changes at Essendon I thought they had a very open mind and clear strategy which led to a very successful trade period which allowed them to have early picks in the national draft and by the looks of it nailed them.

They have then followed it up with some exciting prospects such as Nyuon and Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti in the rookie draft.

By the looks of it they finally may be starting to get their act together.

I heard on SEN that they made a play for Lachie Keeffe during the Rookie draft. Not sure what they were thinking recruiting a player who is already under a doping sanction unless it was to get some practice in the management of players who are found guilty of violating the code.

azabob
28-11-2015, 05:50 PM
I heard on SEN that they made a play for Lachie Keeffe during the Rookie draft. Not sure what they were thinking recruiting a player who is already under a doping sanction unless it was to get some practice in the management of players who are found guilty of violating the code.

If true, that is a different line of thinking again.

stefoid
28-11-2015, 07:47 PM
Emma Quayle suggested that if Adelaide had the hots for Dowdee, they could have spit their pick 13 like we did for Dunkley.

Perhaps their 13 for Essendons 24 and 25 would have made sense for both clubs.

bulldogtragic
28-11-2015, 07:52 PM
Emma Quayle suggested that if Adelaide had the hots for Dowdee, they could have spit their pick 13 like we did for Dunkley.

Absolutely. Could've got local boy Bonner as steak knives in that scenario. Surely Dowdee wasn't going top 24 outside of their interest. It's a lot of pressure on their recruiters, look at the Howard overreach did on our team.

GVGjr
28-11-2015, 08:02 PM

I don't get that from Quayle. Adelaide took just two selections in the National draft after acquiring some players through the trade period in Menzel, Seedsman, Hampton, Gore, Doedee was their 2nd and final pick.
They had picks 9, 13 before the draft night and after some academy selections and then bidding for Himmelberg they ended up with 11 and 17.

Maybe they could have acquired some extra currency for next season but if you rate the player take the player.

boydogs
28-11-2015, 08:16 PM
Adelaide might have had their eye on someone else for that pick that was taken. The luck of the draw on the night can make you look like a fool (Adelaide) or a genius (us)

Twodogs
28-11-2015, 09:12 PM
I don't get that from Quayle. Adelaide took just two selections in the National draft after acquiring some players through the trade period in Menzel, Seedsman, Hampton, Gore, Doedee was their 2nd and final pick.
They had picks 9, 13 before the draft night and after some academy selections and then bidding for Himmelberg they ended up with 11 and 17.
Maybe they could have acquired some extra currency for next season but if you rate the player take the player.

I agree. If you really want a player then he is worth whatever draft pick you take him at.

The Swans don't quibble about handing over high draft picks in trades for players they need or drafting for needs.

comrade
28-11-2015, 11:28 PM
Very thankful that Adelaide reached for Doedee as it was this pick that caused the chain reaction (primarily Burton & Lovell to Hawks) allowing Collins to slip.

Dry Rot
30-11-2015, 10:13 PM

I have read that too.

The theory is that Collins usually took the #1 key forward, releasing Weitering.

LostDoggy
30-11-2015, 10:36 PM
Buckenara had Collins as the 3rd best pick days out from the draft.
Reckon we've got a beauty on our hands here boys and girls.

Cyberdoggie
02-12-2015, 11:25 PM
Buckenara had Collins as the 3rd best pick days out from the draft.
Reckon we've got a beauty on our hands here boys and girls.

Perhaps we should see how he plays first.

He is built like a man playing on stick creatures in the TAC cup, where all he had to do was stick his frame in the way.
When he has to start using strength to move a big sized forward then we'll see how he goes.

Mofra
03-12-2015, 05:44 PM
Perhaps we should see how he plays first.

He is built like a man playing on stick creatures in the TAC cup, where all he had to do was stick his frame in the way.
Schache, the best KPF and the no 2 pick overall, is 5cm and 4kgs heavier than Collins - Collins who beat him comfortably.

Obviously he's a work in progress but I wouldn't out his progress down simply to his frame, especially as most draft watchers consider his rebounding abilities from the end of last year to the end of this year improved by a huge margin.