PDA

View Full Version : End of the road for Peter Street?

Dry Rot
26-11-2007, 10:41 PM
Now that we have Hudson, would Street play in the same team with him?

If not, does his future with us seem uncertain now?

The Coon Dog
26-11-2007, 10:43 PM

I don't rate Street at all. He's purely back up in my view.

Mofra
26-11-2007, 10:48 PM
Sadly yes, I'd expect this is his last year.
For the majority of last year & 06 he was our no 1 ruckman, but he couldn't hope to compete with Hudson.

Minson seems set to be tried as a forward (and asumedly the 2nd ruckman as well). Skipper played some positive football over the last month of last season, so Street is battling Wight for 4th ruckman on the pecking order; and Wight has played back, has more endurance, is younger & seems to show some real ticker when things are going bad.

Thanks for your efforts Streeta, but I think your time has passed.

Dry Rot
26-11-2007, 10:48 PM
So how long we will keep back-up on our list?

LostDoggy
26-11-2007, 10:49 PM
With the inclusion of a ruckman in the rookie draft and possibly Cordy next year this will no doubt be his last season on our list.

Mantis
26-11-2007, 10:50 PM
So how long we will keep back-up on our list?

Our list is quickly evolving and I would say that Street along with 2 or 3 others would have to perform exceptionally in 08 to remain on our list for the following year.

LostDoggy
26-11-2007, 10:51 PM
I wouldn't count him out just yet (as much as some people would like to). He may be our desired back up, but thats assuming Skipper can actually ruck, when it comes to AFL level he's just to small. Can Minson live up to his '06 hype? Or will he crumble again.....or will he be played as a forward? And Wight...well..umm...I'd actually rather have Street as back up then Wight.

Dry Rot
26-11-2007, 10:55 PM
Our list is quickly evolving and I would say that Street along with 2 or 3 others would have to perform exceptionally in 08 to remain on our list for the following year.

Got 2 or 3 particularly in mind?

Mantis
26-11-2007, 10:57 PM
Got 2 or 3 particularly in mind?

It's a bit early to start cutting players post a season that hasn't even started yet, even for me.

Sockeye Salmon
26-11-2007, 11:04 PM
Did the road ever start?

GVGjr
26-11-2007, 11:15 PM

Wayne Campbell made mention of Street working with Hudson and thought they would be a good duo. It gave me the impression that Street might be ahead of Minson in the pecking order at the moment.

LostDoggy
26-11-2007, 11:17 PM
This would definately be his last year, I am actually suprised that he is still on the list. Anyone know what his contract status is?

westdog54
26-11-2007, 11:18 PM
Wayne Campbell made mention of Street working with Hudson and thought they would be a good duo. It gave me the impression that Street might be ahead of Minson in the pecking order at the moment.

Hopefully the pre-season will sort out who takes the second ruck spot. Street is a massive liability around the ground but IMO Minson needs to do a LOT of work with John Barnes over the summer. Teach him to keep his eyes on the ball and not look down at his opponent all the time.

Sockeye Salmon
26-11-2007, 11:28 PM
This would definately be his last year, I am actually suprised that he is still on the list. Anyone know what his contract status is?

I know he signed for 3 years when he first came to the club because I was horrified at the thought. That was for 2004-2006. I think he then re-signed for another 2 years, 2007-2008. I'd say he would be out of contract at the end of the year.

Mantis
26-11-2007, 11:29 PM
I know he signed for 3 years when he first came to the club because I was horrified at the thought. That was for 2004-2006. I think he then re-signed for another 2 years, 2007-2008. I'd say he would be out of contract at the end of the year.

Woo-hoo!!!

LostDoggy
26-11-2007, 11:43 PM
Street will be our number 2 next year. Minson is the only threat to him. Cordy won't play a game until 2012, so i wouldn't be sacking Street in November 2007.

Mantis
26-11-2007, 11:49 PM
Street will be our number 2 next year. Minson is the only threat to him. Cordy won't play a game until 2012, so i wouldn't be sacking Street in November 2007.

For the benefit of the team and more importantly the supporters I hope that Minson establishes himself as the no.2 behind Hudson this year. I don't think I could handle for another year the frustration that Street brings.

bulldogtragic
27-11-2007, 12:01 AM
I have hopes for The Tall One this year.

I also had hopes for Timmy Walsh too. I guess time will tell.

Go_Dogs
27-11-2007, 11:53 AM
I'm also in the boat of get rid of him as quickly as possible. Sure, he had a month of reasonable tap work at a point last season, but that is never going to be enough. If we are considering playing both him and Hudson in the same side, that is very dangerous. Hudson hasn't shown an ability to go forward and kick goals, or drop back in the hole for mine. We all know where Street is at with his versatility. Just wouldn't be a good pairing for mine.

Bulldog Revolution
27-11-2007, 03:20 PM
Its just time for him to really get on with it, if he cant produce this year then he is no certainty to be around. I think he has ability but has to expect more of himself.

hujsh
27-11-2007, 05:24 PM
Some of you are being a bit rough on Streetie .Never underestimate his tap work. He had the highest peceentage of his hityouts go to advantage in the league. I also remember when we won at Subi last yeaar he chased down D. Kerr i think (i don't remember it too clearly but my dad does). I agree he's not talented but he's ok

bornadog
27-11-2007, 05:58 PM
Some of you are being a bit rough on Streetie .Never underestimate his tap work. He had the highest peceentage of his hityouts go to advantage in the league. I also remember when we won at Subi last yeaar he chased down D. Kerr i think (i don't remember it too clearly but my dad does). I agree he's not talented but he's ok

I agree, he does have some value, especially with Tap work. However, if he can do more around the ground, like use his bulk and take a few contested marks, he will be even better. He will ahve to work very hard this year with Hudson and Minson also pushing for a role.

A mate of mine saw him this afternoon walking down the street and couldn't believe the bulk he has added.

Go_Dogs
27-11-2007, 06:20 PM
Hopefully he can get a better core strength and improve his coordination a bit. He just doesn't seem to stand strong on the field for mine.

For what it's worth, I didn't think his tap work was that great this year. I don't know how the process the 'to advantage' statistic, but for mine, someone like Lade who can regularly put the ball down the throat of a player sneaking past is much more dangerous than what Street was doing.

Mantis
27-11-2007, 06:25 PM
Hopefully he can get a better core strength and improve his coordination a bit. He just doesn't seem to stand strong on the field for mine.

For what it's worth, I didn't think his tap work was that great this year. I don't know how the process the 'to advantage' statistic, but for mine, someone like Lade who can regularly put the ball down the throat of a player sneaking past is much more dangerous than what Street was doing.

Yeah and I might improve my piano playing...

Agree that Street taps work is over-rated, he does have his good periods, but seems to always tap the ball to where our players aren't. Is that a communication thing or just ability... Only Street and the players on the ground can answer that.

Go_Dogs
27-11-2007, 06:43 PM
Yeah and I might improve my piano playing...

Agree that Street taps work is over-rated, he does have his good periods, but seems to always tap the ball to where our players aren't. Is that a communication thing or just ability... Only Street and the players on the ground can answer that.

Haha, I know it doesn't sound like a likely thing that one can improve on. I just think with more core strength, he'd get more stability and balance, and as such, wouldn't look/feel so uncoordinated running around out there. I could be way off....

On the second point, I think it has to be both ways. Surely the players in the centre square need to be aware of what type of bounce it is, where the ball could possibly be heading, as well as Street needing to be aware of who is running where.

FWIW, I'd like to see us really work hard on clearances over summer. Group up 4 or so combinations, and let them at each other. Let them see who works well together, who doesn't, and what type of mix we should try and go forward with.

LostDoggy
27-11-2007, 06:44 PM
I wouldn't count him out just yet (as much as some people would like to). He may be our desired back up, but thats assuming Skipper can actually ruck, when it comes to AFL level he's just to small. Can Minson live up to his '06 hype? Or will he crumble again.....or will he be played as a forward? And Wight...well..umm...I'd actually rather have Street as back up then Wight.

I'm the same. Street was hampered by injuries last season and if he can get back to his best he should work well with Hudson. I wouldn't discount him yet.

LostDoggy
27-11-2007, 07:29 PM

He ran down Rowan Jones, so it wasn't quite as good, but still a great effort. I have a soft spot for Streety, he gets a bit of a hard time but he earns his place in the team when he's in. There's no harm in keeping him on the list in case we need him (of course, he'd probably choose to go elsewhere), because I rate him more than Skipper in the ruck and half the time he's better than Minson- that game against Brisbane can only carry him so far.

LostDoggy
27-11-2007, 07:46 PM
Late this year when Skipper was playing in the ruck he was getting around 15 disposals and game and offering more around the ground than Peter Street ever will.