PDA

View Full Version : Likes and Thanks?

1eyedog
30-08-2015, 07:17 PM
Mods what has happened to the likes and thanks? I've thoroughly enjoy recognising a good post with a like here and there and as a way to show my appreciation with a thanks for a snippet. I thought it was a good initiative that has generally worked well.

Is the intention to scrap or is it a gliche?

GVGjr
30-08-2015, 07:44 PM
Mods what has happened to the likes and thanks? I've thoroughly enjoy recognising a good post with a like here and there and as a way to show my appreciation with a thanks for a snippet. I thought it was a good initiative that has generally worked well.

Is the intention to scrap or is it a gliche?

Neither, just to reset the guidelines

It's been in overdrive the last few days and a lot of nothing posts were being acknowledged as 'liked' rather than the ones were someone had gone to a bit of an effort which was the original intention of adding that feature.

I'll try and work out some guidelines in the next day or so.

hujsh
30-08-2015, 08:24 PM

It's been in overdrive the last few days and a lot of nothing posts were being acknowledged as 'liked' rather than the ones were someone had gone to a bit of an effort which was the original intention of adding that feature.

Is there any actual (practical) downside to this?

chef
30-08-2015, 08:27 PM
Is there any actual (practical) downside to this?

And who decides which posts are good enough to get a like?

GVGjr
30-08-2015, 08:33 PM
And who decides which posts are good enough to get a like?

If it needs to get all technical then it can stay off. It was a feature to acknowledge other members putting in an extra effort not a FB type popularity contest.

always right
30-08-2015, 08:41 PM
Clicking thanks is geared towards posters who go to some effort. Clicking like can simply be someone saying they agree with the poster. Can't see the problem personally.

Templeton31
30-08-2015, 08:43 PM
Yeh I can't see the problem with them. In fact I quite LIKE them.

bulldogtragic
30-08-2015, 08:43 PM
Clicking thanks is geared towards posters who go to some effort. Clicking like can simply be someone saying they agree with the poster. Can't see the problem personally.

Like.

azabob
30-08-2015, 08:47 PM
What's FB? Footscray Bulldogs?

bulldogtragic
30-08-2015, 08:53 PM

Thanks.

Templeton31
30-08-2015, 08:53 PM

Just coz things aren't working out how planned doesn't mean its not ok? I planned for us to not make the finals this year but I'm quite happy how its turned out!!! haha.

bulldogtragic
30-08-2015, 08:54 PM
Thanks.

Like.

Templeton31
30-08-2015, 08:54 PM

chef
30-08-2015, 08:55 PM
If it needs to get all technical then it can stay off. It was a feature to acknowledge other members putting in an extra effort not a FB type popularity contest.
Seriously cant see a problem with it myself

LostDoggy
30-08-2015, 08:56 PM
Like.

:)Redders70 Thanked for this post:)

bulldogtragic

Thanks.

bornadog

Unless it is effecting band width or database over load, or something else??? I tend to agree with you AR

bulldogtragic
30-08-2015, 08:57 PM
:)Redders70 Thanked for this post:)

BT likes back. :D

Templeton31
30-08-2015, 08:58 PM
Thanks.

Like.

Also BT I'm going to watch replay of last quarter again so won't be able to like or thanks any future posts. #cantmultitask #thisisnottwitter

bulldogtragic
30-08-2015, 08:59 PM
Like.

50% like, 50% thanks.

LostDoggy
30-08-2015, 09:00 PM
Unless it is effecting band width or database over load, or something else??? I tend to agree with you AR

I agree as well.

As we should, he's Always Right. :)

bulldogtragic
30-08-2015, 09:00 PM
Like.

Also BT I'm going to watch replay of last quarter again so won't be able to like or thanks any future posts. #cantmultitask #thisisnottwitter
Enjoy.

Templeton31
30-08-2015, 09:07 PM
Like.

Enjoy.

Like. (haven't gone yet)

josie
30-08-2015, 09:08 PM
I happen to think quite a few of the posts recently have been terrific - perhaps our positive game day performances are reflected in a high number of positive, insightful and at time downright funny posts.

I'm not sure posters press like or thanks as a popularity contest, rather they are showing their appreciation. Not sure Mods should suppress this type of involvement from the ever growing number of WOOFers, unless there is an IT reason.

Templeton31
30-08-2015, 09:10 PM
I happen to think quite a few of the posts recently have been terrific - perhaps our positive game day performances are reflected in a high number of positive, insightful and at time downright funny posts.

I'm not sure posters press like or thanks as a popularity contest, rather they are showing their appreciation. Not sure Mods should suppress this type of involvement from the ever growing number of WOOFers, unless there is an IT reason.

Alright now Im going to watch the last quarter again!

bulldogtragic
30-08-2015, 09:11 PM

Winner.

merantau
30-08-2015, 09:20 PM
i like the way we're playing. Go Dogs.

comrade
30-08-2015, 09:24 PM
It helps foster a bit of a community feel if you can like/thank other posters. Unless it's increasing the cost to run WOOF due to more server bandwidth required (which I doubt but I'm no tech boffin), I reckon it's a misstep to remove it GVG.

AndrewP6
30-08-2015, 09:42 PM
Somebody "liking" a post or sending "Thanks" doesn't hurt anyone, does it? It is far less intrusive than quoting a post simply to write "Like". Acknowledging someone for what you agree with, or appreciate, well that's just plain...nice. Nothing wrong with that.

GVGjr
30-08-2015, 10:23 PM
FaceBook

GVGjr
30-08-2015, 10:27 PM
It's good to see so many members getting involved. Some have posted more in this thread than they did over the weekends win.

Bulldog4life
30-08-2015, 10:32 PM
It's good to see so many members getting involved. Some have posted more in this thread than they did over the weekends win.

Now where is that like button? ha ha

always right
30-08-2015, 10:45 PM

Thanks

LostDoggy
30-08-2015, 11:19 PM
Like.

Like!!!!!

GVGjr
30-08-2015, 11:25 PM
While I'm hearing you all, the 'like' bumps isn't making for a compelling reason to reinstate it quickly.

LostDoggy
30-08-2015, 11:26 PM

Someone wasn't getting enough likes...

GVGjr
30-08-2015, 11:31 PM
Someone wasn't getting enough likes...

Is that really how you are reading it?

LostDoggy
30-08-2015, 11:38 PM
Is that really how you are reading it?

Not at all, just a joke.

I thought it was a worthwhile feature. I was using it to show the poster I agree with there opinions, regardless how much effort or thought was put in.

soupman
30-08-2015, 11:48 PM
Not sure what the downside is tbh.

I know personally it doesn't stop me posting if I have something to say, and it's nice to receive some kind of acknowledgement when you contribute something.

Woof is hardly in danger of becoming the next wanky social media craze anyway.

GVGjr
30-08-2015, 11:59 PM
Not at all, just a joke.

I thought it was a worthwhile feature. I was using it to show the poster I agree with there opinions, regardless how much effort or thought was put in.

So you don't use the emoticon option but the like feature is a must? ;)

I was lukewarm about adding it but agreed to it because the original design was to 'thank' thread starters for going to the effort to kick start discussions which is badly needed on discussion forums.
Not limited to but members like BAD, BT and Easty do a great job at that so they should certainly receive more than their share of thanks.

'Likes' should be more to acknowledge when someone has put some extra effort into their responses to threads. If we want to encourage better conversations, which should be the reason why we log on, then this is how we should all be using the 'like' option.

Obviously there is plenty of room for latitude but if members posts are continually being 'liked' because they have written 'agreed' or if someone goes through a thread and issues 10 'likes' for marginal posts it sort of defeats the purpose. The site is not twitter or face book and I'd hate to see it move in that direction.

I get that people want the options but I'm going to ask the members to have a think about the way they are using it and see if they can tidy it up a bit. I don't think it's a huge ask.

LostDoggy
31-08-2015, 12:23 AM

Maybe because some of us only have enough time to just be able to read Woofers posts with time constraints without being able to post an informative and in depth post to any one particular thread topic.

hujsh
31-08-2015, 12:27 AM
So you don't use the emoticon option but the like feature is a must? ;)

I was lukewarm about adding it but agreed to it because the original design was to 'thank' thread starters for going to the effort to kick start discussions which is badly needed on discussion forums.
Not limited to but members like BAD, BT and Easty do a great job at that so they should certainly receive more than their share of thanks.

'Likes' should be more to acknowledge when someone has put some extra effort into their responses to threads. If we want to encourage better conversations, which should be the reason why we log on, then this is how we should all be using the 'like' option.

Obviously there is plenty of room for latitude but if members posts are continually being 'liked' because they have written 'agreed' or if someone goes through a thread and issues 10 'likes' for marginal posts it sort of defeats the purpose. The site is not twitter or face book and I'd hate to see it move in that direction.

I get that people want the options but I'm going to ask the members to have a think about the way they are using it and see if they can tidy it up a bit. I don't think it's a huge ask.

Usually if something is funny or I strongly agree with the point and how it's worded I'll like it.

If someone makes a new or well-thought out post or contributes something unique (one common example being when mjp provides his insights) I'll often thank them.

I see the like button being more frivolous and fun and it's a good way to give some feedback without the 'agreed' or 'lol' posts.

I'd also add that many of the best posts contain multiple likes and thanks (If I remember correctly you started a thread with such a response) so there is still an attributed value for providing the extra effort, whereas most posts would still be lucky to have one like or thanks generally.

1eyedog
31-08-2015, 12:38 AM
By agreeing to include the feature you've unwittingly set a precedent . It will be difficult for you to regulate and I'm not sure you should TBH because it is a form of censorship and freedom of action, something this board prides itself on. I'm surprised by this and think, because that precedent has been set, the option to like will either stay the same or, if you don't like how its been rolled out, you'll have to remove it. Either way its more unfortunate than anything and obviously it does not detract from the board's intended purpose so in that I don't mind either way.

LostDoggy
31-08-2015, 12:41 AM
I'll be the first one to put my hand up and say that there are a lot more we'll informed and higher intellectual Woofers on this great forum then myself who have a greater footballing analytical mind then I ever will.

So when reading certain posts in threads where the arguemet is that insightful where I feel that I could not contribute anything to the proceeding discussion,the like and thanked buttons are a way for me to show my apprecition for fellow Woofers for their excellent and outstanding posts.

Happy Days
31-08-2015, 12:41 AM
So...can we have them back?

Eastdog
31-08-2015, 12:46 AM
Like :)

AndrewP6
31-08-2015, 12:48 AM
I can't see a compelling reason to not have them. I'd Like to think that someone giving Thanks would be considered a good thing.

Ghost Dog
31-08-2015, 12:51 AM
I'm too busy watching Jake Stringer to care about any of this. :D

LostDoggy
31-08-2015, 12:52 AM
I'm too busy watching Jake Stringer to care about any of this. :D

;)!!!

chef
31-08-2015, 07:09 AM
I can't see a compelling reason to not have them. I'd Like to think that someone giving Thanks would be considered a good thing.

Yep, It seems a bit weird to take it away.

GVGjr
31-08-2015, 07:27 AM
Yep, It seems a bit weird to take it away.

Classic case of hugging the boundary line Chef given you had option of questioning the logic directly with the posts I have responded to.

GVGjr
31-08-2015, 07:53 AM
So...can we have them back?

Later today, it may have a tweak or two.

Murphy'sLore
31-08-2015, 09:07 AM
As one of the more timid posters here, I really appreciated the like and thanks button as a way of expressing support. I also have to say that on the rare occasions when one of my posts receives likes, it makes me feel part of a conversation and a community, acknowledged and supported. Sometimes WOOF can feel like blokes shouting in a pub and it can be hard for quieter voices to feel heard. Well, the likes and thanks buttons give us all a chance to nod along even if we don't have anything original to offer.

I honestly can't see the harm in allowing some warm fuzzies... They are easy enough to ignore if you don't want to use them!

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
31-08-2015, 09:08 AM
Like ��

chef
31-08-2015, 09:24 AM
Classic case of hugging the boundary line Chef given you had option of questioning the logic directly with the posts I have responded to.

I just dont see the logic too it myself.

Hows it hurting anything?

bulldogtragic
31-08-2015, 09:50 AM
As one of the more timid posters here, I really appreciated the like and thanks button as a way of expressing support. I also have to say that on the rare occasions when one of my posts receives likes, it makes me feel part of a conversation and a community, acknowledged and supported. Sometimes WOOF can feel like blokes shouting in a pub and it can be hard for quieter voices to feel heard. Well, the likes and thanks buttons give us all a chance to nod along even if we don't have anything original to offer.

I honestly can't see the harm in allowing some warm fuzzies... They are easy enough to ignore if you don't want to use them!

If that's ever me, my apologies. I really like your posting, and you likes and thanks. Great post.

chef
31-08-2015, 10:04 AM

Like.

Ozza
31-08-2015, 10:18 AM
While not particularly passionate about the likes and thanks function, I think it has been a good addition to the site, and I do find myself using it. Particularly on a Monday morning which is usually my first time on WOOF since the weekends game, there may be 500-1000 posts I am yet to read - with plenty of good stuff. So I don't mind giving out a few likes here and there where I agree strongly with someone's post, or where they've made an observation I didn't consider etc. It doesn't stop me from still posting in all of the match related threads - but its a good way to let a poster know you like their work, without quoting their post and adding a line or two of text agreeing with it.

1eyedog
31-08-2015, 10:31 AM

That's a good post. I'm sure it would also help new Woofers to feel a part of the community almost immediately.

cinder
31-08-2015, 10:55 AM

I completely agree. Sometimes this can be an intimidating forum to post in as people have fairly strong opinions and of course we're all extremely passionate about our team - sometimes a thank or like to one of the regular posters' comments is a good option. I'm disappointed to see it removed.

Murphy'sLore
31-08-2015, 10:59 AM
If that's ever me, my apologies. I really like your posting, and you likes and thanks. Great post.

Not at all, BT. Thank you.

(And wouldn't all this mutual appreciation be simpler with, you know, a like button or something? :) )

ratsmac
31-08-2015, 06:49 PM
Ok, I have just read this whole thread from start to finish and there is only one poster who has a problem with the like/thanks button (no offence intended), everyone else loves it.

Me personally, I like them too.

C'mon mods you know what to do! The people have spoken!

Murphy'sLore
31-08-2015, 06:55 PM
I find it a little perplexing that you would introduce a feature and then take it away because people are using it too much?!

GVGjr
31-08-2015, 07:14 PM
All restored. I've given the guidelines on how it should be used and I ask that people endeavour to follow them.
If you are still unclear send me a private message.