PDA

View Full Version : 2008 WOOF Player Sponsor - Callan Ward

GVGjr
26-11-2007, 11:23 PM
Just to let you know that we will be one of the player sponsors for Callan Ward for the 2008 season.

The Coon Dog
27-11-2007, 12:14 AM
I'm in.

What/When/How?

Dry Rot
27-11-2007, 12:41 AM
Glad we got Ward - he sounds like he'll be a beauty. Skills and heart.

BulldogBelle
27-11-2007, 12:49 AM

Yes, I agree - good to see us nurture him and watch him grow from the get go. I have a very good feeling about him, much like I did when Chris Grant and Johnno first became Bulldogs.

Excellent stuff and GVG, well done in securing Callan Ward as our "WOOF" Man

wally
27-11-2007, 01:18 AM

Yes I agree and about time we picked up some local talent, couldn't understand us making an aliance with Werribee and not picking up a player ( eg Hudson,Allen )

Dry Rot
27-11-2007, 01:20 AM
Yes I agree and about time we picked up some local talent, couldn't understand us making an aliance with Werribee and not picking up a player ( eg Hudson,Allen )

Welcome to WOOF Wally. Were the Crows particularly canny with Hudson or were we dumb?

wally
27-11-2007, 01:28 AM
Welcome to WOOF Wally. Were the Crows particularly canny with Hudson or were we dumb?

Thanks for the welcome D.R Are we dumb? Look at the players we've drafted over the years and those that left and we are behind Is that dumb, or lack of cash.

Dry Rot
27-11-2007, 01:34 AM
Thanks for the welcome D.R Are we dumb? Look at the players we've drafted over the years and those that left and we are behind Is that dumb, or lack of cash.

Re Hudson, it just seems odd we missed him. Or unlucky I suppose. :)

Happy to get Ward?

wally
27-11-2007, 01:42 AM

Happy to get Ward?

That's true stuff the past, I think ( hope ) we've done well this draft and some of the lads from last year step up,Addison looks alright a bit of go in him

The Coon Dog
27-11-2007, 08:26 AM

I spoke with one of the recruiters at the draft on Saturday who said peter Rohde was emphatic that Ben Hudson would never play AFL football.

The Underdog
27-11-2007, 08:49 AM
I spoke with one of the recruiters at the draft on Saturday who said peter Rohde was emphatic that Ben Hudson would never play AFL football.

ahhh..our mastermind

westdog54
27-11-2007, 10:41 AM

Right then and there he became a shoo-in. He also thought that Lindsay Gilbee couldn't kick IIRC?

mjp
27-11-2007, 11:03 AM
I'm in.

What/When/How?

I usually like to do this stuff myself...but, I will make an exception in this case! What TCD said!

Bulldog Revolution
27-11-2007, 11:26 AM
Great initiative GVGjr

Looking forward to seeing him play in the VFL

Go_Dogs
27-11-2007, 12:01 PM
I'll endeavour to get involved in this too (as much as a broke uni student can), good work GVGjr, the club is certainly lucky to have you as a supporter.

LostDoggy
27-11-2007, 12:36 PM
Yeah im up for it. I am really excited about watching this kid develop. He seems to have all the traits to become a star.

Topdog
27-11-2007, 01:13 PM
Well done G!

Mantis
27-11-2007, 01:39 PM
I'm happy to donate, I just can't stop giving...

hujsh
27-11-2007, 05:14 PM

Happy to get Ward?

I'm pretty sure we wanted him but the Crows did 2 that year

Mantis
27-11-2007, 05:55 PM
I'm pretty sure we wanted him but the Crows did 2 that year

Read post #10 in this thread for your answer.

GVGjr
27-11-2007, 06:02 PM
Just a bit of an article on Ward

Ward proves just the thing for Bulldogs

By Mark Murray

27th November 2007 11:05:25 AM

CALLAN Ward became the sixth Western Jets player to be drafted in as many years when he was snapped up by the Western Bulldogs on Saturday.

Ward had a terrific season for the Jets and was rewarded when the Bulldogs took him with their second selection at number 19 overall in the AFL National Draft.

It is the sixth time in a row just one Jets player has been taken by an AFL club in the National Draft.

Ward is noted for his aggressive and competitive nature, something many pundits believe the Bulldogs need to improve if they are to be a force at the elite level.

“Callan is a beauty. We’re really pleased we got him,” Western Bulldogs recruiting officer Scott Clayton said.

“He’s on our doorstep, he’s a Western Jets boy, and he’s a very tough competitor.

“He’s got great grunt, he’s a very good player and he’ll be terrific for us.”

Ward went into Saturday’s draft as one of the top hopefuls for the Western Jets.

He is blessed with the ability to read the game easily and always finds himself in the right spot.

His versatility would have also appealed to recruiting staff.

Other Jets hopefuls Rhys Prismall, Steven Kennedy, Nathan Lyons and Will Sullivan will now pin their hopes on the AFL rookie draft if they are to get a lifeline.

Raw Toast
28-11-2007, 01:58 PM
Excellent get GvGjr, thanks for setting this up.

I'm in and am really glad that we're all getting the chance to support Ward.

DOG GOD
02-12-2007, 09:21 PM
Count me in too.

aker39
03-12-2007, 09:17 AM
I'm in

hujsh
09-12-2007, 06:24 PM
2nd to Cross in the 1km time trials already. Suggests he is a safe bet. Good choice

GVGjr
09-12-2007, 06:54 PM
There is a few people interested in being a part of this so if anyone has some ideas please let me know either by replying here or sending me a PM.

The Coon Dog
09-12-2007, 07:08 PM
There is a few people interested in being a part of this so if anyone has some ideas please let me know either by replying here or sending me a PM.

Happy to contribute. Just need a PM with Bank details (just like ebay) & I'll pay right away.

GVGjr
09-12-2007, 07:28 PM
Happy to contribute. Just need a PM with Bank details (just like ebay) & I'll pay right away.

Thats a generous offer but I'd like to explore more about perhaps selling or raffling off some of the benefits or something like that. I might have an online payment option through one of the clubs partners as well.

The Coon Dog
09-12-2007, 07:34 PM
Thats a generous offer but I'd like to explore more about perhaps selling or raffling off some of the benefits or something like that. I might have an online payment option through one of the clubs partners as well.

I'm not that worried about the add ons. I have the money now & want to pay so I can get it out of the way.

LostDoggy
09-12-2007, 08:18 PM
2nd to Cross in the 1km time trials already. Suggests he is a safe bet. Good choice

Thats very impressive but I hope we don't rush him. Hes not 18 until April so lets not push him.

Go_Dogs
10-12-2007, 10:24 AM
Thats very impressive but I hope we don't rush him. Hes not 18 until April so lets not push him.

mjp can probably enlighten us more, but Cal could quite well be ready to step straight up. I know a lot of the young kids these days are already very fit, involved in high level weight training programs and all sorts of things prior to being drafted. If he's ready, let him go, whilst still having one eye on his longer term future.

aker39
10-12-2007, 10:36 AM

I'll repeat what I said on BF

That all of the benefits that come with the package be raffled off the throughout the year. So any member that contributes, gets 1 ticket in a raffle, for every $20 they contribute.

My understanding of the players sponsors package is that you get
to go to exclusive player functions, 2 tickets to B & F, and dining at 5 matches during the year.

This may be an incentive to get more people to contribute.

Mantis
10-12-2007, 11:16 AM
mjp can probably enlighten us more, but Cal could quite well be ready to step straight up. I know a lot of the young kids these days are already very fit, involved in high level weight training programs and all sorts of things prior to being drafted. If he's ready, let him go, whilst still having one eye on his longer term future.

He still has year 12 to complete next year so I would think his schooling must take priority. As far as his football goes I think if he could move from playing Willi reserves to Willi seniors I would see this as an excellent result.

GVGjr
10-12-2007, 11:19 AM
I'll repeat what I said on BF

That all of the benefits that come with the package be raffled off the throughout the year. So any member that contributes, gets 1 ticket in a raffle, for every $20 they contribute.

My understanding of the players sponsors package is that you get
to go to exclusive player functions, 2 tickets to B & F, and dining at 5 matches during the year.

This may be an incentive to get more people to contribute.

The option I got excluded dining.

aker39
10-12-2007, 11:29 AM
The option I got excluded dining.

No worries.

The general concept still is that what ever benefits come with the package be raffled off to the sponsors.

I suggested that each sponser be given a number of tickets in the draw, attributable to their level of sponsorship.

Another suggestion is that sponsors good buy raffle tickets, with the added funds being used to buy more backyard packages.

These are just suggestions and open for debate.

Cyberdoggie
10-12-2007, 02:00 PM

from the games i saw him play he's got that special ability to not be fazed under pressure.

ie jonathon brown after the siren from outside 50, that's what callan ward got.

He's mentally tough, knows how to find the goals, can play in a variety of positions, and isnt' the sort of player that will be worried about playing against players bigger physically than him as he's had to do that his whole career so far.

I definately think he'll play willy seniors, and if he's lucky they might give him a game or two at the dogs depending on injuries and availability etc.

He'd be the most likely of all our new recruits to get a game i'd say. (the young guys that is)

DOG GOD
10-12-2007, 02:20 PM
I'm more impressed with Ward OFF the field atm. The way he has conducted himself in interviews since being drafted has shown a sign of maturity beyond his years.

He comes across as a kid that will work his ass off to be the best person he can be both on and off the field.

I agree we cant rush him, but I'm not a believer in holding anyone back either. If he can play...then let him play.