PDA

View Full Version : Match Committee: Elimination Final vs Adelaide (Victoria Game)

bulldogtragic
05-09-2015, 04:30 PM
In and outs. Playing Adelaide at either Etihad or MCG.

Boyd, Bob and Morris as locks to come in.

I'd suggest Goodes, Zaine and Daniel/Webb/Honey.

I prefer Boyd over Redpath.

Rocco Jones
05-09-2015, 05:54 PM
B: Morris, Roberts, Wood
HB: Murphy, Hamling, M.Boyd
C: Hunter, Macrae, Picken
HF: Grant, Crameri, Dahlhaus
F: Stringer, Redpath, Dickson
R: Roughead, Bontempelli, Wallis
I/C: Biggs, Johannisen, Daniel
Sub: Jong
------------------------------------------
If one of Crameri or Bob are out, I would go with Honeychurch staying in. If both are out, I would play Zaine Cordy as well.

Mantis
05-09-2015, 05:54 PM
I think we have to play Campbell... Just don't trust the Roughead/ Redpath duo in the ruck.

Going to be a very interesting week.. Lots of options, some we probably haven't even thought of yet.

The Bulldogs Bite
05-09-2015, 05:55 PM
Agree TC should play. In place of Roughly or Redpath though?

Rocco Jones
05-09-2015, 05:56 PM
I think we have to play Campbell... Just don't trust the Roughead/ Redpath duo in the ruck.

Going to be a very interesting week.. Lots of options, some we probably haven't even thought of yet.

Good point.

Mantis
05-09-2015, 05:58 PM
I think Roughy plays in defence ( on Jenkins) and we play only one of Roberts or Hamling.. Whoever is best suited to Walker or do we play Talia who did the job on him last time??

Rocco Jones
05-09-2015, 05:58 PM
I think Roughy plays in defence ( on Jenkins) and we play only one of Roberts or Hamling.. Whoever is best suited to Walker or do we play Talia who did the job on him last time.

Talia seems a different player now to the one earlier in the season.

bulldogtragic
05-09-2015, 06:00 PM
I think Roughy plays in defence ( on Jenkins) and we play only one of Roberts or Hamling.. Whoever is best suited to Walker or do we play Talia who did the job on him last time??

Interesting call on Talia. You'd think he'd have the confidence to do the job well. Would mean Roberts and Hamling probably get dropped. You'd have to think Bevo would be thinking about it.

Bulldog4life
05-09-2015, 06:06 PM
I prefer Roughead in defence along with Talia and Campbell as first ruck.

bornadog
05-09-2015, 06:08 PM
I wonder how Talia played today?

LostDoggy
05-09-2015, 06:09 PM
Adelaide have 3 genuine tall forwards, in Jenkins, Walker and Lynch. Betts is also good overhead for a small and Dangerfield can take marks inside 50 pushing forward, so our defence will be tested.

On the other hand, the last thing we can afford is to short change ourselves with defensive run.

azabob
05-09-2015, 06:12 PM
Surely the key to stoping Taylor Walker is the midfield supply, doesn't matter who is on him.

If the Crows midfield has a clear run at it Walker, Jenkins, Betts and Co will have a day out.

Interestingly our rucks that day were Ayce Cordy and Jordan Roughead.

Crows won the hit outs 48 to 29 - Sam Jacobs amassed 43 of the 49 hit outs.
Resulting in us also losing clearances, both centre and stoppages around the ground.

We kicked 6 goals to 1 goal in the first term and eventually won by 8 goals. We were 11 goals up at 3/4 time.

Rocco Jones
05-09-2015, 06:13 PM
Do we want to free up Morris to play on Betts?

Walker/Lynch vs Hamling/Roberts
Jenkins vs Roughy (following him all day)
Betts vs Morris

Rocco Jones
05-09-2015, 06:17 PM
Does playing Hamling, Roberts, Roughy and Morris mean we lose too much drive from M Boyd, Bob, Wood and JJ?

bulldogtragic
05-09-2015, 06:19 PM
Does playing Hamling, Roberts, Roughy and Morris mean we lose too much drive from M Boyd, Bob, Wood and JJ?

I think so, but the flip side is covering their talls and having Wood free not to play on a tall. It's a delicate balance.

Mantis
05-09-2015, 06:19 PM
I would be happy for Wood to play on Lynch.

Or even Biggs or Boyd.

The Underdog
05-09-2015, 06:20 PM
Bring back Koby

LostDoggy
05-09-2015, 06:20 PM
Is Hamling, Roberts, Morris, Roughy, enough run from the back?

Wood has to take one of the mid/talls.

Remi Moses
05-09-2015, 06:21 PM
Bring back Koby

Is Koby ready ?

The Underdog
05-09-2015, 06:23 PM
Is Koby ready ?

Koby was born ready...

No of course not, but I'd love his steel in the team

Rocco Jones
05-09-2015, 06:27 PM
OK revised side!
B: Morris, Roughead, Wood
R: Campbell, Bontempelli, Wallis
-----------------------------------
If Bob is out= Roberts in
If Crameri is out= Honeychurch in

Bulldog4life
05-09-2015, 06:28 PM

Out of the above I would think Roberts would miss if Roughy plays in the backline
Fletcher is the slowest

Mantis
05-09-2015, 06:28 PM
Is Hamling, Roberts, Morris, Roughy, enough run from the back?

Wood has to take one of the mid/talls.

Yep.. We have to play to our strengths, and our strength is our run, carry and dare from defence.

LostDoggy
05-09-2015, 06:31 PM
I don't think we should overreact after today. Our mids were clearly not going in 100%, making the rucks look awful. No tackling (17 in 1st half) means easy clearances.

Just last week when Roughy/Redpath nullified Goldstein, a lot of us were saying how much of a step up it was from the previous weeks' efforts. Whoever we go with, our mids will primarily be trying to shark off Jacobs.

jeemak
05-09-2015, 06:35 PM
The form of Grant is concerning me, he's come back from a certain core player to almost peripheral again. He's definitely earned the right to be given a chance to play next week though I'm finding it hard to say I definitely want him in the side over Daniel and Honey after the last two to three weeks.

Webb, Goodes and Cordy are my first three omissions for Boyd, Murphy and Morris. I really don't know what to do about Redpath and Roughead at the moment. The latter probably goes into defence at the expense of Roberts, with the former just holding his spot (I'm not sure he's the option over T. Boyd, but the MC probably will see it that way).

Campbell should come in to ruck. Roughead was really ordinary today across all levels, after a really positive start.

chef
05-09-2015, 06:38 PM
The form of Grant is concerning me, he's come back from a certain core player to almost peripheral again. He's definitely earned the right to be given a chance to play next week though I'm finding it hard to say I definitely want him in the side over Daniel and Honey after the last two to three weeks.

Webb, Goodes and Cordy are my first three omissions for Boyd, Murphy and Morris. I really don't know what to do about Redpath and Roughead at the moment. The latter probably goes into defence at the expense of Roberts, with the former just holding his spot (I'm not sure he's the option over T. Boyd, but the MC probably will see it that way).

Campbell should come in to ruck. Roughead was really ordinary today across all levels, after a really positive start.

I'd have HC or Daniel in the side before Grant.

Nuggety Back Pocket
05-09-2015, 06:38 PM
R: Roughead, Bontempelli, Wallis
------------------------------------------
If one of Crameri or Bob are out, I would go with Honeychurch staying in. If both are out, I would play Zaine Cordy as well.

I like your team with one exception. I would replace Roberts with Roughead moving to FB allowing Campbell to replace Roughy as first ruck. Roughead couldn't get near Martin today in the rucking duels which was a worrying sign. He should be able to take Jenkins/ Jacobs down back. Let's hope Crameri is fit enough to play as he will be needed to help take the pressure off Stringer and Dickson. I wouldn't play ZCordy. Cordy simply hasn't shown enough in his past two senior games. Jong to replace Goodes and Daniel to be retained instead of Honeychurch.
We will be a much better team with Murphy MBoyd and Morris returning. They were sadly missed today.

Rocco Jones
05-09-2015, 06:43 PM
I like your team with one exception. I would replace Roberts with Roughead moving to FB allowing Campbell to replace Roughy as first ruck.

Haha I just updated my side to do the same.

bornadog
05-09-2015, 06:44 PM
I like your team with one exception. I would replace Roberts with Roughead moving to FB allowing Campbell to replace Roughy as first ruck. Roughead couldn't get near Martin today in the rucking duels which was a worrying sign. He should be able to take Jenkins/ Jacobs down back. Let's hope Crameri is fit enough to play as he will be needed to help take the pressure off Stringer and Dickson. I wouldn't play ZCordy. Cordy simply hasn't shown enough in his past two senior games. Jong to replace Goodes and Daniel to be retained instead of Honeychurch.
We will be a much better team with Murphy MBoyd and Morris returning. They were sadly missed today.

I would keep Honeychurch and drop Webb. He only had 8 touches today and was a concern.

LostDoggy
05-09-2015, 06:48 PM
I would keep Honeychurch and drop Webb. He only had 8 touches today and was a concern.

I agree. HC far from the worst today. Webb hardly touched it after 1/4 time, he needs another preseason.

Mantis
05-09-2015, 06:51 PM
OK revised side!

Happy with that team, but I can't find a spot for Jong.. HC in for him.

LostDoggy
05-09-2015, 07:21 PM
Campbell has only played 1/2 a game in the past 3 weeks. Big risk.

Is Will a chance?

boydogs
05-09-2015, 07:29 PM
Out: Z Cordy, Webb, Goodes
In: Morris, M Boyd, Murphy

Rocket Science
05-09-2015, 07:30 PM
I'm a fan in general but Hamling's plateaued the past few weeks, struggling in defensive contests and not getting as involved on the rebound either.

Right now, I'd rank him amongst those whose spots are under examination.

Alternately, Daniel is money. Smart smart smart with the pill. I think he deserves more than SUB status.

josie
05-09-2015, 07:35 PM
I really want Caleb to play. I think he gave us a spark as soon as he come on today. He is a good link player & his disposal is top notch. Hope there is a way to keep him in the team.

Any news on how bad Dickson is hurt?

Understand Crameri likely to be ok. Geez I hope Bob is ok - missed his leadership today.

GVGjr
05-09-2015, 07:37 PM
I'm a fan in general but Hamling's plateaued the past few weeks, struggling in defensive contests and not getting as involved on the rebound either.

Right now, I'd rank him amongst those whose spots are under examination.

Alternately, Daniel is money. Smart smart smart with the pill. I think he deserves more than SUB status.

It's a good point you raise. If there was alternatives he could be a candidate to be replaced. If it had to be Roberts or Hamling, who would you drop?

jeemak
05-09-2015, 07:38 PM
It's a good point you raise. If there was alternatives he could be a candidate to be replaced. If it had to be Roberts or Hamling, who would you drop?

Roberts would be dropped for mine. He's just a bit underdone and you'll see today he seemed it.

Mantis
05-09-2015, 07:40 PM
Campbell has only played 1/2 a game in the past 3 weeks. Big risk.

If he was right to go today it seems a strange decision but to give him a run in the VFL team.

bornadog
05-09-2015, 10:38 PM
Is Will a chance?

Wouldn't surprise me if he came in

LostDoggy
05-09-2015, 10:46 PM
Were Roberts & Hamling that bad? Given 61 I50s and 35 scoring shots against, Brisbane's tall forwards did bugger all really. I would've thought our tall defenders have done their jobs fairly effectively under the circmstances, without being anything special.

LostDoggy
05-09-2015, 10:47 PM
Have we heard when we are likely to play our final. Beveridge indicated Saturday night, is that likely? Last I heard it was going to be Sunday.

Mantis
05-09-2015, 11:28 PM
Western Bulldogs v Adelaide
Saturday September 12, 7.20pm
MCG

divvydan
05-09-2015, 11:30 PM
Yeah, had to be Sat night once WCE/Haw was going to be Fri night as the final in the 2nd week will be the Fri night one.

bornadog
05-09-2015, 11:49 PM
Adelaide have played MCG once this year against Carlton and beat them by 9 points

bulldogtragic
05-09-2015, 11:50 PM
Early weather forecast for Saturday in Melbourne:

Partly cloudy. Slight (30%) chance of a shower. Winds northerly 20 to 30 km/h.

bornadog
05-09-2015, 11:52 PM
Early weather forecast for Saturday in Melbourne:

Partly cloudy. Slight (30%) chance of a shower. Winds northerly 20 to 30 km/h.

Should be a fine day and 22 deg, with an overnight of 14

Sedat
06-09-2015, 12:47 AM
OK revised side!
My preference would be Honeychurch for Jong and Tom Boyd for Redpath. Boyd and Campbell being rested from the VFL this week says to me they are both playing in the first final next Saturday. I think we need to make a multitude of changes to freshen up the team after travelling to Qld and playing in the heat of the middle of the day - over and above bringing back M Boyd, Morris and Bob.

jeemak
06-09-2015, 12:48 AM
My preference would be Honeychurch for Jong and Tom Boyd for Redpath. Boyd and Campbell being rested from the VFL this week says to me they are both playing in the first final next Saturday. I think we need to make a multitude of changes to freshen up the team after travelling to Qld and playing in the heat of the middle of the day - over and above bringing back M Boyd, Morris and Bob.

Why Jong? Because of his game today at VFL level?

Conversely, why not Honey?

Bulldog4life
06-09-2015, 12:51 AM

I thought Redpath was in our best today

Sedat
06-09-2015, 01:01 AM
I thought Redpath was in our best today
Got on the end of a few. Serviceable in the ruck. Otherwise not a super performance - not sure he will add much value to the team next week matched up on Talia. Just read elsewhere that Tom Boyd was injured at training which is why he didn't play for Footscray today, so it's probably a moot point.

Remi Moses
06-09-2015, 01:11 AM
Should be a fine day and 22 deg, with an overnight of 14

That's paramount to a heatwave to what we've had

Ozza
06-09-2015, 01:17 AM
Heaps to consider throughout the week.

Certainly from today's side the outs would be at minimum;

Cordy & Goodes were filling voids and are obvious outs.
Webb - some great signs from him this year- but isn't really doing anything at the moment.
Redpath- he won't be dropped. Bevo obviously loves him. Make no mistake, regardless of 3 fortunate goals, he was ordinary again today, and personally I wouldn't play him. Particularly not in this 2nd ruck/floating forward role. And if he is in the forward line, is there any danger of him keeping out of stringer's way?! How many times did he draw another opposition player into the area? Leave your gun forward with space to get one out!

I'd like C.Daniel to stay in the side. He can have an impact with fewer possessions than others, and brings the same level of intensity every week. Possibly the later start than the other 1st years has him with more in the tank than, say, Webb right now (understand they are different players- but are possibly fighting it out for the sub vest).

Ghost Dog
06-09-2015, 01:22 AM
Will be watching the injury thread with interest.
Seems strange to be playing Redpath over Boyd but Bevo knows best.

Like to see Stringer rotated through the midfield if Thompson and co start to win the arm wrestle.
Wallis, Bont, Stringer,

LostDoggy
06-09-2015, 01:41 AM

Reports are that Jong played injured in VFL today, noticeably wincing when weight put on his injured leg. Doubt he'll come into considerations.

LostDoggy
06-09-2015, 01:51 AM
Looking back at Adelaide game earlier this year, Jacobs dominated rucks (43ho to 13) yet we won by 57 points.

Jacobs won h/o 52-12 today yet Crows get comfortably rolled.

As long as our midfield is switched on at the clearances, and our chosen ruckman is competitive around the ground, this won't be a factor that has huge bearing on the result.

westbulldog
06-09-2015, 01:00 PM
Out - Cordy Webb Hamling Grant Goodes
In - Murphy Morris M Boyd Campbell Talia

Hotdog60
06-09-2015, 01:44 PM
By the stats and I know that's not gospel, Jack was only one goal difference with Jake so by that they both had simular games only one looks more exciting when he has the ball.

LostDoggy
06-09-2015, 04:24 PM
A lot of people are obsessing about our form away from Etihad. Admittedly, our form at home is superior, but at least we have beaten good teams this year away from Etihad, including Richmond at the MCG and Sydney in Sydney.

Adelaide's away form against decent opposition is way inferior to ours. If you exclude the bottom 6 teams, their form away from Adelaide Oval reads; GWS lost by 24, WB lost by 57, WCE lost by 56, Sydney lost by 53, Geelong lost by 39.

That's all losses, by an average of 7-8 goals.

merantau
06-09-2015, 05:29 PM
A lot of people are obsessing about our form away from Etihad. Admittedly, our form at home is superior, but at least we have beaten good teams this year away from Etihad, including Richmond at the MCG and Sydney in Sydney.

Adelaide's away form against decent opposition is way inferior to ours. If you exclude the bottom 6 teams, their form away from Adelaide Oval reads; GWS lost by 24, WB lost by 57, WCE lost by 56, Sydney lost by 53, Geelong lost by 39.

That's all losses, by an average of 7-8 goals.

Thanks for the reality check Peanuts. The fact is we beat them by 57 points. We are a better side now. The rucks were not a factor before. We won because we had numbers around the ball and when we didn't have it we applied pressure.
Unlike a few here I want Grant in. He is the sort of player whose creativity creates goals and he does not require a lot of the ball to have an impact. I am also a fan of Daniel. His ball use is very good and his long suit is footy smarts.

Rocco Jones
06-09-2015, 07:24 PM
This is very radical. Is Will Minson any chance? As alternative as Beveridge has been with our rucks, we have spent the majority of the season with a recognised 1st ruckman. Will has obviously been on the outer but has still managed 9 games compared to Campbell's 6. Roughy has only had 2 games as the #1 ruckman.

Rocco Jones
06-09-2015, 08:34 PM
Looked at the season stats for Tom Boyd vs Jack Redpath and Campbell vs Minson vs Roughead. The stats could not be closer.

The Bulldogs Bite
06-09-2015, 08:38 PM
Walker/Jenkins/Lynch could give us some trouble when you factor in Betts. In an ideal world, Morris plays on Betts and typically blankets him, but our key defenders aren't playing well so he may be required to play on Tex, which theoretically allows us more run. Roughead seems a logical choice for Jenkins/second ruck, but I'm not sure he's best 22 week-to-week.

Hard to see us taking Roughy/Roberts/Hamling as defenders, Campbell as first ruck and Redpath as FF/second ruck. We favor more run, so I'm not sure what we'll do. I could see us keeping the same line up and doing Roughy/Jacobs, Roberts/Tex, Hamling/Jenkins which heavily favours them.

bornadog
06-09-2015, 10:03 PM
This is very radical. Is Will Minson any chance? As alternative as Beveridge has been with our rucks, we have spent the majority of the season with a recognised 1st ruckman. Will has obviously been on the outer but has still managed 9 games compared to Campbell's 6. Roughy has only had 2 games as the #1 ruckman.

Wouldn't surprise me if he came in

I am thinking the same

azabob
06-09-2015, 10:07 PM
Roughead, JJ and Crameri all in doubt.

bornadog
06-09-2015, 10:08 PM
Roughead, JJ and Crameri all in doubt.

Where was that from Aza?

azabob
06-09-2015, 10:11 PM
Where was that from Aza?

From news.com.

John Ralph wrote the article.

Crameri more likely to play than the other two.

GVGjr
06-09-2015, 10:12 PM
I have read the article on the Hun and I still question if Roughead has the ability to physically handle being the number one ruckman week after week. Would be a huge blow if he isn't available for the game. Same with JJ and Crameri.

azabob
06-09-2015, 10:12 PM
http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/western-bulldogs-dealing-with-injury-toll-ahead-of-final-against-adelaide-crows/story-fndv8weh-1227515286469

LostDoggy
06-09-2015, 10:17 PM
Ouch.

I heard that Campbell had gastro on the weekend so should be available this week at least?

Rocco Jones
06-09-2015, 10:19 PM
I would go with Minson in the ruck ahead of a sore Roughy and Campbell coming off an injury and gastro. Not sure Roughy would be a massive loss as much as I love him.

JJ out would hurt.

bulldogtragic
06-09-2015, 10:26 PM
I would go with Minson in the ruck ahead of a sore Roughy and Campbell coming off an injury and gastro. Not sure Roughy would be a massive loss as much as I love him.

JJ out would hurt.

Crameri needs to be good to go. Some games where he played sore early this year were not good, but if he's good that's big. The Roughy call is bang on and I think Bevo should wind Minson up, get in his head and give him a point to prove and get another final. It might just work. JJ would be a blow and we've not got that jet pace to come in. Webb would be my guess for his role.

kruder
06-09-2015, 10:29 PM
in regards to the heat surely the warm weather would have benefited the group? We haven't had much sunshine this winter and its really noticeable when you get some rays how much better you feel.

bornadog
06-09-2015, 10:30 PM
in regards to the heat surely the warm weather would have benefited the group? We haven't had much sunshine this winter and its really noticeable when you get some rays how much better you feel.

It will be a nice day next Saturday but night will be cool.

Rocco Jones
06-09-2015, 10:32 PM
I am going to revise my team a couple of time a day
B: Morris, Roughead (Roberts), Wood
R: Minson, Bontempelli, Wallis
I/C: Biggs, Johannisen (Jong/Webb), Daniel, Honeychurch

LostDoggy
06-09-2015, 10:33 PM

The warmer weather is great for a casual day out, not so great when you're running 10-15 k's whilst crashing into people :)

Rocco Jones
06-09-2015, 10:33 PM

I think that's when you are on a deck chair not playing an AFL game.

azabob
06-09-2015, 10:38 PM
I am going to revise my team a couple of time a day
B: Morris, Roughead (Roberts), Wood
R: Minson, Bontempelli, Wallis
I/C: Biggs, Johannisen (Jong/Webb), Daniel, Honeychurch

Can you at least give us the in's and out's each time!

Rocco Jones
06-09-2015, 10:43 PM
Can you at least give us the in's and out's each time!

Haha okay. I am not sure how I am going to get through the week.

Rocket Science
06-09-2015, 10:55 PM
From news.com.

John Ralph wrote the article.

Crameri more likely to play than the other two.

A spot of ducks and drakes perhaps...?

Crameri and Johannisen would be significant outs.

LostDoggy
06-09-2015, 10:58 PM
Jeez big Will would be nice and fired up to get a recall in a final at the G. A bit of old fashioned physicality may be just the ticket.

Rocco Jones
06-09-2015, 11:56 PM
How's this for a stat?

With Will Minson in we are 7-2
Without Will we are 7-6

boydogs
06-09-2015, 11:56 PM
Love to see Minson in if Roughead doesn't pull up. I think he is suited to Jacobs

LostDoggy
07-09-2015, 11:51 AM
I wish I had some sort6 of idea of the team Bevo will pick..

always right
07-09-2015, 02:04 PM
Feeling very uncomfortable that we have blokes either likely to miss through injury or at the very least play at less than 100%. WE need everyone up and about.

JJ would be a huge out even though his form has been poor the last two weeks. If Murph is doubtful it removes a hell of a lot of our run. And then there's Crameri.

Mantis
07-09-2015, 02:35 PM
JJ would be a huge out even though his form has been poor the last two weeks. If Murph is doubtful it removes a hell of a lot of our run. And then there's Crameri.

I thought JJ was pretty solid against North having 20 touches and 2 goals.. Didn't see much of him on Saturday, but I didn't watch much of the 1st half.

Remi Moses
07-09-2015, 02:39 PM
I think there's some ducks and drakes at play here .
Smith for them would be in some doubt also, but they reckon he'll play.

Remi Moses
07-09-2015, 02:41 PM
Murphy will play, trust me

always right
07-09-2015, 02:49 PM
I thought JJ was pretty solid against North having 20 touches and 2 goals.. Didn't see much of him on Saturday, but I didn't watch much of the 1st half.

You're right....I was thinking of the previous game. Regardless we need him in our side to break the lines. We are a much slower side without him....even though he is just one player.

always right
07-09-2015, 02:50 PM
Murphy will play, trust me

I have no doubt....I just hope he still has his customary burst of speed.

kruder
07-09-2015, 07:50 PM
I just hope our forwards don't get sucked up the ground too much it always happens at the G. We have to be brave and have some sort of structure deep because with finals pressure on the ball carrier it becomes difficult when there is no one to kick too.

F'scary
07-09-2015, 08:14 PM
McLean is available. Any takers? And who would make space for him?

azabob
07-09-2015, 08:24 PM

No chance what so ever.

Even when we make the GF he won't be playing. Unfortunately hasn't played enough footy.

The bulldog tragician
07-09-2015, 08:31 PM
No chance what so ever.

Even when we make the GF he won't be playing. Unfortunately hasn't played enough footy.

The forgotten man. I was so impressed by Toby. He'll be a very good player for us and his injury was rotten luck.

kruder
07-09-2015, 08:46 PM
Was listening to the sun podcast and they said Roughead won't be playing and that Minson was very unlikely to come in due to accountability. Looks like Campbell will play, well according to them.

LostDoggy
07-09-2015, 08:48 PM
Roughy and JJ not mentioned in the latest injury update from the club. Would indicate both are probably doubtful?

boydogs
07-09-2015, 08:50 PM
Roughy and JJ not mentioned in the latest injury update from the club. Would indicate both are probably doubtful?

I would have thought the opposite

bulldogtragic
07-09-2015, 09:02 PM
Rocco, where is the Monday 8pm update??? We are waiting. :D

LostDoggy
07-09-2015, 09:42 PM
Ins for me-Theobvious one's if fit-Murph,Mozza,M.Boyd
The not so Captain obvious's-Toyd-to start in the ruck and ah der-float forward to kick a couple :rolleyes:

bulldogtragic
07-09-2015, 10:01 PM
If Tom Boyd plays how do the Adelaide defence line up. Interesting talk about Talia taking Stringer, then Boyd could get release from Talia or Stringer gets a lesser defender.

azabob
07-09-2015, 10:03 PM
If Tom Boyd plays how do the Adelaide defence line up. Interesting talk about Talia taking Stringer, then Boyd could get release from Talia or Stringer gets a lesser defender.

Can Boyd play after missing in the VFL? Is Talia quick and mobile enough to keep up with Stringer?

For what its worth Darcy thinks Minson will play this week.

hujsh
08-09-2015, 02:23 AM
I wish I had some sort6 of idea of the team Bevo will pick..

To do that you'll either need to become a genius or an madman.

How lucky do you feel?

Go_Dogs
08-09-2015, 08:28 AM
B: Wood, Roberts, Morris
HB: Boyd, Hamling, Murphy
C: Macrae, Wallis, Dickson
HF: Dahlhaus, Crameri, Hunter
F: Stringer, Boyd, Honeychurch
R: Roughead, Bontempelli, Picken
I/C: JJ, Biggs, Daniel, Grant (sub)

So I guess that means, the Ins are:-
Boyd, Boyd, Morris, Murphy

And Outs:-
Redpath, Webb, Goodes, Cordy

Roughead is a leader at our club so I'm backing him in to do the job in the ruck and perhaps spend some time on Jenkins.

The experienced defenders are easy inclusions. Wouldn't be surprised to see Bob spend a bit of time forward and Boyd to perhaps play a few minutes up the field.

Boyd is my choice if fit for the G. He's perhaps a better second ruck and is more likely to draw a crowd and create a contest when we have to go deep. If we ensure our forwards hold their structure we have the leg speed to create the overlap and get some goals running back into our F50.

Our running power is what will win us this game if we can win enough ball in the middle and are ruthless with our hurt on the crows players.

My biggest concern is they have more finals experience and are a more seasoned side who, despite the weekend, are currently in very good form.

azabob
08-09-2015, 09:17 AM
Strange as this sounds I don't think Redpath is being dropped. He has done a lot of media so far this week.

Go_Dogs
08-09-2015, 09:50 AM
Strange as this sounds I don't think Redpath is being dropped. He has done a lot of media so far this week.

I actually thought the same, but I'm not sure how much to read into it.

If he stays, then I think 3 changes is all we will make.

bornadog
08-09-2015, 10:59 AM

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xta1/v/t1.0-9/11998975_10153559482137487_4644945490860594272_n.jpg?oh=a125 301ec17262bde0440864c588700e&oe=5670C16E&__gda__=1450770979_a342a2593d5470548271988a5f9d8843

azabob
08-09-2015, 11:02 AM
I actually thought the same, but I'm not sure how much to read into it.

If he stays, then I think 3 changes is all we will make.

Great summary GD. I am nervous about how we will combat the Crows run and carry. Their experience in finals also worries me. But our blokes haven't let things such as the oppositions experience worry them before. Hopefully this week is no different.

The Pie Man
08-09-2015, 11:08 AM

I recall Hrovat doing a mid week SEN interview earlier this year where plenty of discussion was centred around the coming week, and come Thursday night he was dropped.

But I wouldn't have thought Redpath would be in any danger anyway....now I've said that, he'll surely be in trouble

angelopetraglia
08-09-2015, 12:36 PM
JJ (minor calf) and Roughead (too sore) confirmed outs by Bevo. No idea, but it sounds like Roughead may have been politely dropped. How are you too sore for a final?

Ozza
08-09-2015, 12:38 PM
JJ (minor calf) and Roughead (too sore) confirmed outs by Bevo. No idea, but it sounds like Roughead may have been politely dropped. How are you too sore for a final?

Where did you hear that? Did Bevo just have a presser?

always right
08-09-2015, 12:40 PM
JJ a huge loss.

LostDoggy
08-09-2015, 12:45 PM

Also seems strange you would decide somebody is too sore 5 days before the match.

Ozza
08-09-2015, 12:45 PM
JJ a huge loss.

Yep, definitely.

Selection gets pretty interesting in the ruck division now. And for JJ - I guess there are a number of players who will be considered to replace him (Webb to stay in, or Bailey Dale, Josh Prudden, Hrovat, McLean is probably coming from too far back).

choconmientay
08-09-2015, 12:47 PM
On afl http://m.afl.com.au/news/2015-09-08/bulldogs-lose-key-pair-for-elimination-final

F'scary
08-09-2015, 01:02 PM
Big Will's finest hour approaches.

LostDoggy
08-09-2015, 01:09 PM
Very interesting team selection coming up..

Minson? Campbell? Boyd?

Go_Dogs
08-09-2015, 01:11 PM
I would look at Minson in for Roughead, and Dale in for JJ.

We still have a good mix of defenders with Murphy, Boyd, Biggs and Wood.

Axe Man
08-09-2015, 01:20 PM
Would we consider going in with an undersized backline as we often have this season to ensure plenty of rebound?

We could possibly go in with just the one tall (Hamling/Roberts/Talia) to play on Jenkins and give Morris the job on Walker. I know the preference is not to have Morris play on the gorillas but Walker is about the same height as Dale. I would have more faith in Morris on Tex than anyone else on our list.

I think Wood and Biggs would be ok matchups for Lynch. Betts of course presents a problem regardless.

Just trying to think outside the square as the match committee has almost never picked the most logical or predictable side this season.

F'scary
08-09-2015, 01:23 PM
I would look at Minson in for Roughead, and Dale in for JJ.

We still have a good mix of defenders with Murphy, Boyd, Biggs and Wood.

I'd go McLean ahead of Dale. His matches against BL, StK and Car were very good to excellent. Dale did not produce one performance that even came close to these.

Ozza
08-09-2015, 01:33 PM
I'd go McLean ahead of Dale. His matches against BL, StK and Car were very good to excellent. Dale did not produce one performance that even came close to these.

Unfortunately McLean is probably coming from too far back in terms of preparation, whereas the likes Dale, Webb & Daniel have all been playing most or all weeks.

In a perfect world, I'd love to have McLean in, reckon he is terrific.

Sedat
08-09-2015, 01:41 PM
Now that would be a ballsy move. Not sure if I agree with it or not but it would certainly throw the cat amongst the pigeons. I love his clean hands and great decision making in traffic - reckon he would not look out of place in a final (except for the whole looking like a 12yo kid thing). Would certainly be well-rested but I suspect he'll need a run at VFL level to get match fitness.

I am very worried about the overall fitness and running ability of our team after a trip to Perth, a tough slog in Melbourne and then a run-around in the heat and humidity of Brisbane - that and the fact that we are such a young squad. I don't think 3 changes will suffice this week - would like to see 5-6 changes to fully freshen up the team.

Ozza
08-09-2015, 01:59 PM
I think 5 changes is looking possible, or even - likely.

Certainly Moz, Murph and Boyd come in. And none of those players can replace Roughead, so there is at least one more.

So its 4 changes minimum.

Outs are already JJ & Rough.
I can't see how you could play Cordy or Goodes.

And for me, you'd have to look at whether Spider Webb is going well enough.

B: Morris; Roberts; Wood
HB: Boyd; Hamling; Murphy
C: Picken; Wallis; Macrae
HF: Dickson; Crameri; Hunter
F: Stringer; Boyd; Redpath
R: Minson; Bontempelli; Dahlhaus
Int: Biggs; Honeychurch; Grant; Daniel

I think with Tom Boyd in the side, if gives you the opportunity to sub out Will Minson and have Tom Boyd ruck the last quarter and a bit, and a fresh runner comes on (one of Grant, Daniel or Honeychurch). I also think Boyd & Redpath really stretch Adelaide's suspect defence for height, and make the Stringer & Crameri match ups a nightmare.

With Minson, my gut feel is that he is going to be a better match up for Jacobs. And Will played well last week.

Cyberdoggie
08-09-2015, 02:01 PM
I think Jong will come in. Dale isn't ready to play finals footy yet, Jong has proven he steps up in finals games in the VFL and was best BOG in the loss to Box Hill. Yes he has been in and out lately without playing his best but at the very least he provides a solid body and an in an under player if anything happens to Wallis. We've seen before if Mitch gets hurt then we struggle to get the ball.

You need solid bodies that will tackle and apply pressure in finals, Dale is the least likely to do that just now.

In the ruck is Campbell not available? I believe he is over his corked thigh and was ill last week.

The Bulldogs Bite
08-09-2015, 02:18 PM
Some very interesting selections coming up. JJ is a huge loss. His run and dash would have been pivotal on the MCG, but if there's anywhere that we have sufficient depth it's in that running HB position.

All things being equal I'd back Minson in. We know he's durable, which Roughy (inj) and Campbell are not. He'll be beaten around the ground, but Minson will compete far greater around stoppages and considering there's statistically a lot more of those during finals his strength, stamina and experience would be handy. I can see Campbell and Boyd tiring and really getting destroyed as the game goes on if we went with either of them.

Probably need to play Talia IMO. I'm not a big fan, but he knows the structures and has played a few solid games in the season, including one v Adelaide on Walker. This then allows us some more like-for-like match-ups with Roberts/Jenkins and Hamling/Lynch, allowing Morris to play on Betts who never gets a kick v Dale. IF we want to back our run, then I'd drop Hamling for Talia and have somebody such as Biggs on Lynch. Joel has had a good season but has struggled a little lately and can't play on Walker or Jenkins.

B: Morris; Talia; Wood
HB: Boyd; Roberts; Murphy
F: Stringer; Redpath; Honeychurch
Int: Biggs; Hamling; Daniel
Sub: Grant

* If no Hamling, I'd play Jong - but given output, I'd keep Hamling which could allow us to shift Murphy or Biggs up the ground at different stages.

always right
08-09-2015, 02:22 PM
In:
Moyd, Murph, Morris, Jong, Campbell

Out:
JJ, Goodes, Webb, Cordy, Roughy

I think they will want to play a runner to replace JJ and Jong is the best choice. Would like to see Will come in but think they will go with Campbell who can be a better mark.

Ozza
08-09-2015, 02:24 PM
I think Jong will come in. Dale isn't ready to play finals footy yet, Jong has proven he steps up in finals games in the VFL and was best BOG in the loss to Box Hill. Yes he has been in and out lately without playing his best but at the very least he provides a solid body and an in an under player if anything happens to Wallis. We've seen before if Mitch gets hurt then we struggle to get the ball.

You need solid bodies that will tackle and apply pressure in finals, Dale is the least likely to do that just now.

In the ruck is Campbell not available? I believe he is over his corked thigh and was ill last week.

Campbell IS available. You are correct, he had a bout of gastro last week.

boydogs
08-09-2015, 02:43 PM
JJ's a good player but we are overstocked for HBF's. Murphy, Biggs, M Boyd, Wood, Picken, Morris, Hamling all likely to play with Webb & Z Cordy in the side last week

Roughead isn't far ahead of Minson, Campbell or Talia either

Rocket Science
08-09-2015, 03:15 PM
Jeez, no Johannisen hurts. We might be well stocked for small-to-mid sized defenders but we'll really miss his run and carry.

On that note, while certainly from left field I could see Bailey Dale relishing some space at the 'G...

Remi Moses
08-09-2015, 03:35 PM
Blow losing JJ, but finals have more stoppages than normal and bringing in Will has merit.
Jong I think comes in for his speed ( although he's carrying a leg injury)
In Morris Murph M Boyd Minson Jong
OutJJ Roughy Cordy Webb Goodes

The Bulldogs Bite
08-09-2015, 04:35 PM
On that note, while certainly from left field I could see Bailey Dale relishing some space at the 'G...

I like Dale but he's nowhere near ready for a cutthroat AFL final. He'll be a player, but he's proven he needs more time in the VFL.

Axe Man
08-09-2015, 04:59 PM
Jeez, no Johannisen hurts. We might be well stocked for small-to-mid sized defenders but we'll really miss his run and carry.

Time and space seems to magically evaporate come finals.

Go_Dogs
08-09-2015, 05:04 PM
Time and space seems to magically evaporate come finals.

Hence a player who can find some could be a good inclusion.

Axe Man
08-09-2015, 05:06 PM
Bulldogs lose key pair for elimination final (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-09-08/bulldogs-lose-key-pair-for-elimination-final)

THE WESTERN Bulldogs are set to lose key players Jordan Roughead and Jason Johannisen to injury for Saturday night's elimination final against Adelaide at the MCG.

Roughead sustained a finger injury in the win over North Melbourne in round 22 while Johannisen has a minor calf injury.

"They're two big loses," Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge conceded on Tuesday.

"(Roughead) ripped a tendon off the bone on one of his fingers against the Kangaroos two weeks ago and he's been sore in another couple of areas.

"He's most likely not to play.

"We'll lose Jason Johannisen as well, unfortunately. He's got a minor calf injury."

Once a scarce commodity at Whitten Oval, Beveridge believes the Dogs' newfound depth will again serve them well.

"As we have all year, we've lost players and had boys come in and step up, and this week will be no different," Beveridge said.

"It's a credit to our players and how resilient they've been and young guys coming in and playing their roles."

Out of favour for much of the season, Will Minson looms as a possible replacement for Roughead.

The All Australian ruckman is best credentialed to confront key Crow Sam Jacobs, but he hasn't been sighted at senior level since round 15.

"Between Will, Tommy Campbell, Tommy Boyd and Ayce Cordy, we'll need another ruckman and we'll make that decision later in the week," Beveridge said.

Roughead's absence will also be felt down back, with youngsters Fletcher Roberts and Joel Hamling set for pivotal roles on Adelaide's key forwards Taylor Walker and Josh Jenkins.

The inexperienced duo has only played 28 AFL games between them.

"'Fletch' will be better for last week's run (after injury) and Joel Hamling is tall - between those two and Dale (Morris) and (Easton Wood) helping them out, we'll be OK," Beveridge said.

"(Michael) Talia is also there and he's a wildcard selection."

In better news for the Dogs, skipper Robert Murphy declared himself "ready to go" for the Bulldogs' first finals campaign since 2010.

The 32-year-old missed the loss to the Brisbane Lions with general soreness.

"I've put my name up, (Beveridge) has got to pick me, but I'm expecting to be there," Murphy said.

"I was a little bit proppy last Thursday, but had a run on Sunday and moved freely again."

Beveridge said he was pleased to have the 32-year-old back to add some much needed experience and leadership.

"I was just saying to Bob, (it's a credit) to him, Dale Morris, Easton Wood, Matty Boyd, they've been the core of our backline all year and all around them we've been losing players," he said.

"And with young players coming in and out, that stability has been really crucial for us."

Fellow veterans Boyd and Morris are also near certainties to play in their return from general soreness while the Dogs are confident Stewart Crameri will overcome a corked thigh.

Rocco Jones
08-09-2015, 05:50 PM
I haven't updated my team for ages. So here goes....
I/C: Biggs, Daniel, Honeychurch

always right
08-09-2015, 05:56 PM
I haven't updated my team for ages. So here goes....
I/C: Biggs, Daniel, Honeychurch

Agree with your team Rocco although I would have Daniel as sub. He seems to have the ability to get involved creatively in the play immediately whereas I don't think Jong has the same ability.

LostDoggy
08-09-2015, 06:17 PM
I think its time is for Minson and Tom Boyd on the big stage, Talia on Taylor.
Minson for Roughy
T Boyd for Cordy
Talia for Hamling or Fletch
M Boyd for Goodes
Murph for JJ

B: Morris; Talia; Wood
HB: Boyd; Hamling ; Murphy
F: Stringer; Boyd; Redpath
Int: Biggs; Honeychurch; Grant; Daniel

Daniel or honey as sub.

No idea really.

The Pie Man
08-09-2015, 09:53 PM
We've tried Darley in JJ's absence before - Landsberger tweeted he might be a chance earlier this week.

I wouldn't, but can you mount a case?

hujsh
08-09-2015, 09:59 PM
Nope

Rocco Jones
08-09-2015, 10:05 PM
We've tried Darley in JJ's absence before - Landsberger tweeted he might be a chance earlier this week.

Dont rate Darley so the answer is no when it comes to him anyway.

JJ out huts us but we also had a bit of small defender overkill with him in the side. At least his loss address some balance (as stated, still a big loss).

The Underdog
08-09-2015, 10:13 PM
I'll be wrong, but I'll say
In: Murphy, M. Boyd, Morris, Jong, Campbell
Out: JJ, Roughy, Z.Cordy, Goodes, Webb

Can see the sense in Minson in but it seems unlikely. Could see Webb getting a shot also. I like Jong in as an athletic big bodied mid against the Crows, although his form has been a wild card. Was terrible against West Coast.

Rocco Jones
08-09-2015, 10:19 PM
I'll be wrong, but I'll say
In: Murphy, M. Boyd, Morris, Jong, Campbell
Out: JJ, Roughy, Z.Cordy, Goodes, Webb

Can see the sense in Minson in but it seems unlikely. Could see Webb getting a shot also. I like Jong in as an athletic big bodied mid against the Crows, although his form has been a wild card. Was terrible against West Coast.

I have the same side. Jong as sub as I don't trust him getting through a whole game at AFL finals level at the velocity he demands of himself.

jeemak
08-09-2015, 10:22 PM
Darley's exposed form hasn't been that bad this year when looking at sheer averages, though those averages come from two games in which we smashed the opposition at the peak of our form.

Looking beyond stats, he had one or two absolute clangers in games - but none worse than what Biggs has delivered in his stint in the seniors this year.

If we were to toss the coin between any of him, Dale and Webb he'd probably get my nod in lieu of what he offers versus what we'll be missing with JJ being left out due to injury (run and ability to find the ball).

My selection preferences kind of align with everyone else's, though because I don't have any semblance of an inkling of what the MC is going to do I'm going to suggest Minson gets a game due to match fitness over Campbell, and Tom Boyd is going to come in for Redpath who would be unlucky to miss on the basis of only being replaced to fulfil a quasi religious pontification.

I really have no idea, and as Forest Gump said, that's all I have to say about that.

The Underdog
08-09-2015, 10:23 PM
I have the same side. Jong as sub as I don't trust him getting through a whole game at AFL finals level at the velocity he demands of himself.

I think he'd be an interesting Dangerfield match up at least athletically. Obviously not a match on talent but taggers never are

The Underdog
08-09-2015, 10:25 PM
One thing I'll say in favour of Dale is that his ability to kick an important goal in uncanny. Could be an excellent sub candidate

Templeton31
09-09-2015, 11:19 AM
Mark Stevens ‏@Stevo7AFL 7m7 minutes ago
Will Minson right in mix at Dogs. Kind of player suited to being "unleashed" .. Dominated coming in fresh v Mumford and GWS after exile ...

Happy Days
09-09-2015, 12:42 PM
I think he'd be an interesting Dangerfield match up at least athletically. Obviously not a match on talent but taggers never are

We tried that last year, it did....not work.

always right
09-09-2015, 12:53 PM
We tried that last year, it did....not work.

And we don't tag anymore.

LostDoggy
09-09-2015, 01:52 PM
Brodie Smith failed to train, would be a handy out as he has really found his All Australian Form the last few weeks after struggling earlier with multiple concussions.

LostDoggy
09-09-2015, 02:44 PM
Brodie Smith failed to train, would be a handy out as he has really found his All Australian Form the last few weeks after struggling earlier with multiple concussions.

Absolutely. They are really struggling for defensive matchups I reckon and he is one of few for them who has a bit of size and yet still mobile enough for Stringer/Crameri/Dickson.

This looks like anther game where both forward lines will get some good mismatches and it will all come down to supply and who can get it into their 50 the quickest.

The Bulldogs Bite
09-09-2015, 02:57 PM
Mark Stevens ‏@Stevo7AFL 7m7 minutes ago
Will Minson right in mix at Dogs. Kind of player suited to being "unleashed" .. Dominated coming in fresh v Mumford and GWS after exile ...

If he doesn't play this week, he'll never play for us again - even if he's on our list next year.

I want him to play. This is the kind of week that suits him, as Stevo touched on.

LostDoggy
09-09-2015, 03:14 PM
Will has white line fever at the best of times, but he is a SA native who seems particularly fired up against SA teams. This is a perfect storm for him I reckon. He will dead set have the eyes rolling on Saturday night if he gets picked.

Those first few contests can really set the tone in a final, particularly important for all of our young guys playing their first final.

For mine, Campbell lacks Will's physicality and hasn't played for 3 weeks. If I were Sam Jacobs, I know who I would rather be crashing into.

It's time for Will.

Cyberdoggie
09-09-2015, 03:46 PM
Darley's exposed form hasn't been that bad this year when looking at sheer averages, though those averages come from two games in which we smashed the opposition at the peak of our form.

Looking beyond stats, he had one or two absolute clangers in games - but none worse than what Biggs has delivered in his stint in the seniors this year.

I think the writing is already on the wall for Darley i'm afraid.
Turns the ball over far too much.
Bevo comes from the Hawthorn school of thought that your skills have to be precise and clean under pressure, this is a clear with the
players we have drafted last year.

After that game a few weeks back where 9 out of his first 10 disposals were turnovers I think that was the end for him and was promptly omitted after one of our best wins for the season.

LostDoggy
09-09-2015, 11:59 PM
I'm all for unleashing Will. Get some rabbits ready before the game!

LostDoggy
10-09-2015, 06:00 AM
11.5 hours until the side is announced.

Please pick Will.

Mofra
10-09-2015, 10:56 AM
I think the writing is already on the wall for Darley i'm afraid.
Turns the ball over far too much.
Bevo comes from the Hawthorn school of thought that your skills have to be precise and clean under pressure, this is a clear with the
players we have drafted last year.
If you compare his output to Biggs it seems comparable - until you take into account Biggs runs the ball more and takes higher risk, longer options constantly (much braver in his disposal) while Darley takes shorter, safe options.

Darley is "ok" as a footballer but if we need to make a hard call and cull three his name will be raised.

Ghost Dog
10-09-2015, 11:50 AM
Replacing JJ is really quite hard. Massive out. All the focus is on Stringer and our Three pronged forward line, but JJ is the guy who very often gets the ball rolling.

Lin Jong as stated is a wild-card. He goes missing in some games. Players are often judged on their worst decisions, and not their best.

Adelaide are 1# in league for centre clearances. For this reason a bigger bodied player like Jong could help out muscle their first ball getters.

Greystache
10-09-2015, 11:58 AM
Almost every reporter has touched on the ruck issue this week. Bevo will have a plan.
Replacing JJ is really quite hard. Massive out. Who is the fastest runner on our list?

Lin Jong as stated is a wild-card. He goes missing in some games.

Adelaide are 1# in league for centre clearances. For this reason a bigger bodied player like Jong could help out muscle their first ball getters.

Lin Jong

Ghost Dog
10-09-2015, 12:06 PM
Lin Jong

Interesting. Hope he uses his speed a bit more. Not noted as a 'line breaker'.

G-Mo77
10-09-2015, 01:25 PM

It was really noticeable how quick he is early in the season. Not sure what happened with injury and post injury but hasn't looked close to that form he had.

soupman
10-09-2015, 01:26 PM

He is less of a run the lines type and more of a "try and explode away from the contest" type.

1eyedog
10-09-2015, 02:30 PM
Lin Jong

It was Dahl over Stringer over Jong during preaseason sprints.

The Bulldogs Bite
10-09-2015, 03:48 PM
I wouldn't be playing Jong.

His form has been horrible after his injury v Swans, and his positioning around stoppages/clearances extremely poor defensively. Against a side like Adelaide who have excellent clearance players (Danger, Sloane, Thompson) we can't afford Jong's mistakes IMO.

bornadog
10-09-2015, 04:12 PM

His form has been horrible after his injury v Swans, and his positioning around stoppages/clearances extremely poor defensively. Against a side like Adelaide who have excellent clearance players (Danger, Sloane, Thompson) we can't afford Jong's mistakes IMO.

I tend to agree, I haven't been happy with Jong for most of the season.

LostDoggy
10-09-2015, 04:13 PM
Apparently Jong looked a bit proppy on the weekend, favouring one leg, and also heard he didn't train with main group on Tuesday. Has lacked his explosive qualities since coming back from his injury. Would be a surprise from mine.

Greystache
10-09-2015, 04:20 PM

It's a valid concern, but he's also really lifted for finals previously. I think he'll get the call up into a midfield that's a bit light on.

bornadog
10-09-2015, 06:42 PM
Prediction:

In: Murphy, Boyd, Morris, Minson

out: Cordy, Goodes, JJ, Roughy

Knowing Bevo will pull a surprise

LostDoggy
10-09-2015, 06:54 PM
Prediction:

In: Murphy, Boyd, Morris, Minson

out: Cordy, Goodes, JJ, Roughy

Knowing Bevo will pull a surprise

Got the same 22 as you BAD.

Only one I'm not sold on for this match is Webb, but can't see a logical replacement.

The only thing that will surprise though is no surprises.

Greystache
10-09-2015, 07:03 PM
My prediction:

In: Murphy, Boyd, Jong, Morris, Minson

Out: Cordy, Goodes, Webb, JJ, Roughy

Ozza
10-09-2015, 07:12 PM
I won't make a prediction....because with Bevo - he might not pick a ruckman at all, he might debut someone, he might play Stringer at Centre Half Back....and it will probably work!

Waiting for the announcement with anticipation...

divvydan
10-09-2015, 07:15 PM
Official

In: Murphy M Boyd, Minson, Morris, Jong
Out: Goodes, Roughead, Johannisen, Webb, Z Cordy.

Ozza
10-09-2015, 07:19 PM
Seems to logical to be true!!

Probably would have preferred Hrovat to Jong...but can understand the reasons for including Jongy.

Templeton31
10-09-2015, 07:20 PM
Welcome Back Big Will!!!!!!

Ozza
10-09-2015, 07:22 PM
Crows have Cheney and Mackay IN; Lever and Lyons OUT

LostDoggy
10-09-2015, 07:22 PM
Wrapt for Will. Can't wait for the energy he brings to the first bounce. Perfect scenario, he lands Jacobs on his butt in the opening 2 seconds.

comrade
10-09-2015, 07:24 PM
Some good ins for Footscray with Webb, Cordy and Goodes going back.

Mantis
10-09-2015, 07:28 PM
Some good ins for Footscray with Webb, Cordy and Goodes going back.

As well as McLean, Hrovat, Campbell & Boyd.

It feels strange not be questioning selections this week as it makes sense.. Can't wait to game time.

chef
10-09-2015, 07:29 PM
Official

Great stuff.

azabob
10-09-2015, 07:31 PM
Great changes. Really happy with all the IN's.

Bulldog4life
10-09-2015, 07:33 PM
Official

Very happy with selections

Mantis
10-09-2015, 07:34 PM
Crows have Cheney and Mackay IN; Lever and Lyons OUT

Geez I hope they have brought in Kyle to play on Jake. ;)

Remi Moses
10-09-2015, 07:39 PM
Surprised the crows didn't play Lever.
Cheney can play on the talls, but has had his pants pulled down .
Big job for Will

azabob
10-09-2015, 07:45 PM
Obviously a great opportunity for Minson.

I hope he brings aggression to the game, but somehow manages not to give too many silly free kicks away - which we all know he has a tendency to do.

bulldogtragic
10-09-2015, 07:49 PM
Minno!!!!

jeemak
10-09-2015, 07:50 PM
Great effort for Will and Jong to earn a senior spot this week.

On the latter I hope his development has been sufficient for his decision making and disposal not to be exposed under finals pressure (let's be honest, players going into their first final with more credentials have been). Full credit to him for his progress to date, I'd love to see him prove to himself that he is of the grade with a good performance this week, as I feel he is now just only a few mental steps away from being a consistent player and ironing out the areas of his game that expose him.

Eastdog
10-09-2015, 07:52 PM
Great to see Mino back and our experience heads in there. Just what was needed.

Doc26
10-09-2015, 07:55 PM
Geez I hope they have brought in Kyle to play on Jake. ;)

Just another Kyle of theirs that Jake can add to his trophy list.

Throughandthrough
10-09-2015, 07:58 PM
we need to do is pressure Hartigan. If he makes an early mistake he goes to water. I've never seen a defender look more scared and tentative in an afl match in my life.

The Underdog
10-09-2015, 08:06 PM
That is by far the most sensible, semi predictable group of selections in I don't know how long

boydogs
10-09-2015, 08:21 PM
Minson & Jong in tells me we are expecting a highly contested and repeat stoppage style of game
Probably a good call for a final

Dancin' Douggy
10-09-2015, 08:24 PM
It was the plan all along. Cage the monster. Torture it. Starve it. Poke it with sticks.
And when we really really need it. Let it loose upon the infidels.

Dancin' Douggy
10-09-2015, 08:26 PM
That is as solid a bunch of 'ins' as you'll ever see.

LostDoggy
10-09-2015, 08:28 PM
That is as solid a bunch of 'ins' as you'll ever see.

I dunno... Freo's ins look ok!

azabob
10-09-2015, 08:31 PM
Just on Jong, he is a proven finals player at VFL level, so I guess, why not, lets see if he can rise to the occasion on the big stage.

Ghost Dog
10-09-2015, 08:31 PM
It was the plan all along. Cage the monster. Torture it. Starve it. Poke it with sticks.
And when we really really need it. Let it loose upon the infidels.

Post of the day - Hilarious. Just hope Minno doesn't start sledging or belt anyone when he Hulks out.

The Underdog
10-09-2015, 08:57 PM
Post of the day - Hilarious. Just hope Minno doesn't start sledging or belt anyone when he Hulks out.

Yeah he should probably keep his mouth shut. His sledging form isn't strong

always right
10-09-2015, 09:08 PM
Very very happy

LostDoggy
10-09-2015, 09:25 PM
Jack Redpath is the key Saturday Night.

I have no doubt Cheney will start on Redpath, It's how Cheney has always been used and when he plays his best footy. Talia will start on Stringer.

Redpath has had some smaller opponents this season and hasn't really been able to dominate them. If he can get on top early it could throw a huge spanner in the works.

F'scary
10-09-2015, 09:29 PM
WOOFers worrying about Minson's mouth should just relax - there aren't any issues around that could possibly get him into trouble.

Dancin' Douggy
10-09-2015, 09:55 PM
I dunno... Freo's ins look ok!

They ain't got Bob.

LostDoggy
10-09-2015, 10:02 PM
Our back three plus big will Optimus totally primed Minson. I'm a happy man. Tear it up will!

Twodogs
10-09-2015, 10:29 PM
Who are the emergencies?

divvydan
10-09-2015, 10:33 PM
Who are the emergencies?

T.Boyd, Talia and Dale

1eyedog
10-09-2015, 10:43 PM
Jack Redpath is the key Saturday Night.

I have no doubt Cheney will start on Redpath, It's how Cheney has always been used and when he plays his best footy. Talia will start on Stringer.

Redpath has had some smaller opponents this season and hasn't really been able to dominate them. If he can get on top early it could throw a huge spanner in the works.

Is Talia quick / dexterous enough? He better be cause Jakey has some serious wheels over 10 metres.

Ghost Dog
11-09-2015, 12:28 AM
Who knows, could be his last foray with the club. wonder if he is considering his options? I get the point about circumstance playing a part in his selection, but it's only one factor. You have to be fit, ready, and part of the team. We are lucky to have him as an option.

The Bulldogs Bite
11-09-2015, 01:22 AM
Feeling much more confident now.

Can't believe they dropped Lever for Cheney!

LostDoggy
11-09-2015, 02:13 AM

Lever has been terrific, but he's a skinny teenager whose body has probably just had enough for the year. Inexplicable otherwise.

Their defence looks really vulnerable, we've just got to get it in there enough.

ratsmac
11-09-2015, 03:30 AM
Great team selection this week. Safe team selectionthis week!

I love the inclusion of Minson. It's almost gutsy from the MC considering they have opted for others during the season which has been successful. However Minson is our best ruckman without a doubt and it's no secret that it has been his mobility that has been an issue. The opposing ruckman running off him and linking up has cost him his spot coupled with giving away silly free kicks (from what I could tell anyway). Jacobs ain't the quickest across the ground so he it's a pretty good match up and one I am not concerned about (for a change). This match up will help our mids with first use which will go a long way if we are to win this match. Minson can pinch a goal or 2 given the chance as well.

Jong's inclusion is a little bit daring considering he hasn't been exactly tearing the door down for a call up. If he has been bought in to nullify Dangerfield it makes sense but good luck. I suppose it frees up Wallis from having to go toe to toe with him. At least with Jong you know he'll hit the contest hard. He can break a line which could be important if it's a tight contest.

This would be our strongest team with what is available to us giving us the best chance to win. Match Committee have got this one spot on in my opinion.

#gatherthepack

jazzadogs
11-09-2015, 03:36 AM
Jong's inclusion is a little bit daring considering he hasn't been exactly tearing the door down for a call up. If he has been bought in to nullify Dangerfield it makes sense but good luck. I suppose it frees up Wallis from having to go toe to toe with him. At least with Jong you know he'll hit the contest hard. He can break a line which could be important if it's a tight contest.

#gatherthepack

I don't recall Jong ever playing an effective shut down game. His best games have been when he has played effective line breaking football, working hard from defence to attack to utilise his aerial ability. IMO if we have brought him in to play shut down on Danger then we are not playing to his strengths.

ratsmac
11-09-2015, 03:53 AM
I don't recall Jong ever playing an effective shut down game. His best games have been when he has played effective line breaking football, working hard from defence to attack to utilise his aerial ability. IMO if we have brought him in to play shut down on Danger then we are not playing to his strengths.

I totally agree with you. That's why I say good luck at nullifying Danger, but you still gotta try! Otherwise he will hurt you big time. It's Jong's bigger body at the contest that we need not allowing Dangerfield to waltz out with the ball at will. We need to be accountable for Dangerfield whilst keeping him accountable also. That's where we need Jong using his pace from the contest as well.

bornadog
11-09-2015, 07:55 AM
I would love to have seen TBoyd in. If he tears up the VFL then he can play next week against the Hawks

jazzadogs
11-09-2015, 07:57 AM
I just can't wait to see Will charge in at the opening bounce, knees up and do some damage!

Although knowing our starts this year, it will just as likely be Jacobs down Danger's throat and straight in for a goal.

bornadog
11-09-2015, 07:59 AM
I just can't wait to see Will charge in at the opening bounce, knees up and do some damage!

Although knowing our starts this year, it will just as likely be Jacobs down Danger's throat and straight in for a goal.
i really want us to belt this team.

Go_Dogs
11-09-2015, 08:17 AM
Pretty happy with the selected side, will be interesting to see who the sub is.

Hopefully we can really get our running game up early and put pressure on their defence. We should have enough options in our forward line if we're smart with how we move the ball.

We will have some tough match ups in defence too, so we need to really have our whole team, men of mayhem defence going to limit the amount of easy ball they get. Jenkins has a knack of finding himself deep, one out and he's going to be too tall in the contest for our blokes. Eddie Betts loves getting goal side too. We're going to have to talk and be smart with our structures and working back, switching match ups.

Sedat
11-09-2015, 08:27 AM

I'd expect to see Lever back in the side if Brodie Smith doesn't come up

Ozza
11-09-2015, 11:01 AM
That is by far the most sensible, semi predictable group of selections in I don't know how long

I know....its a worry isn't it...

Raw Toast
11-09-2015, 11:30 AM

I know....its a worry isn't it...

Definitely a concern :p, but I'm expecting Beveridge to rectify things with another late change or three before the bounce, just to keep everyone on their toes...

josie
11-09-2015, 11:40 AM
I reckon Jong might be sub - thinking being he comes when others tire. Otherwise might be Grant who has been a bit down on form since his broken nose, or Caleb. I really hope it is not Caleb - with his smart disposal would love to see him start.

Murphy'sLore
11-09-2015, 11:42 AM
I'm with you, Josie, would prefer Jong as the sub.

Axe Man
11-09-2015, 11:53 AM
I'd expect to see Lever back in the side if Brodie Smith doesn't come up

Unfortunate news:

"Brodie Smith got through & has ticked all the boxes. He moved well today & he'll play." - Asst Coach David Teague

Greystache
11-09-2015, 12:08 PM
Agree the selections look too sensible, but there's always a chance for some left field wackiness.

I'm tipping Minson to be the sub :)

comrade
11-09-2015, 12:28 PM
Minson to FB, Jong to ruck.

always right
11-09-2015, 12:30 PM
Reckon Jong has been brought in for "third man up" duties. If I'm right he won't be sub.

Happy Days
11-09-2015, 01:05 PM
Talia went to Jake after the 6th goal, so he kept him goalless for about 3 minutes (?) - good job Dan! He has to start on him, I think he might not be quick enough to go with him flat out, but (unlike his brother) is smart enough to cut his angles and stop him from getting to as much space as otherwise; his game on Buddy earlier this year was pretty impressive in this regard. Plus they don't have any other defender that looks capable of not being horribly exposed by a player like Jake. Their defenders are lucky they play for Adelaide and not against them!

The more I look at it the more I don't get that Cheney selection. Especially for Lever, Hartigan as an AFL player mystifies me every time I see him play, and I was convinced his ankles (and the rest of his body) was still attached to the right flank at the Footscray End of Etihad.

Seriously what's the play here? Were they worried that Lever's strengths of zoning off/looking awesome would not translate to a good defensive game against a dangerous opponent in (all likelihood) Crameri? I would have backed him in to follow instruction and outperform an extremely known and limited quantity in Cheney.

But hey, bully for us. The dourness of their back 6 makes containing Smith (and sorta Henderson) that much more important. Hopefully Dickson and Crameri can get off the chain.

Sedat
11-09-2015, 01:06 PM
Reckon the winner tomorrow night will have the Hawks for company the following week. Word is that there are a number of banged up Hawks who are really struggling to get to the line - if so, I can't see them getting close to West Coke tonight. Nic Nat didn't play last time and his inclusion alone will be massive.

Hawks are ridiculously short for the flag IMO - they needed the home QF to be as short as they are in the betting. I like our chances against them in a SF if we are good enough to get over the line tomorrow night against the Crows.

Mantis
11-09-2015, 01:11 PM
Hawks are ridiculously short for the flag IMO - they needed the home QF to be as short as they are in the betting. I like our chances against them in a SF if we are good enough to get over the line tomorrow night against the Crows.

Old team, big ground and wet/heavy conditions will play into our favour if results go as described.. I hope they belt the shit out of each other tonight.

Axe Man
11-09-2015, 01:16 PM
Reckon the winner tomorrow night will have the Hawks for company the following week. Word is that there are a number of banged up Hawks who are really struggling to get to the line - if so, I can't see them getting close to West Coke tonight. Nic Nat didn't play last time and his inclusion alone will be massive.

Smith and Gunston in doubt for the Hawks, but Priddis in doubt for the Eagles. Would be a massive blow to the Eagles if Priddis doesn't get up, especially with Masten missing as well.

Ozza
11-09-2015, 01:37 PM
Priddis out is massive.

LostDoggy
11-09-2015, 01:59 PM
Old team, big ground and wet/heavy conditions will play into our favour if results go as described.. I hope they belt the shit out of each other tonight.

Perfect outcome for this weekend (looks possible):

- We win well.

- Hawthorn and WCE belt into each other in heavy and slippery conditions. After numerous injuries and reports to both teams, WCE kick several late goals to pull away from a beaten Hawks team.

- Freo put away a clearly cooked Swans outfit early and coast through the last half, leaving their 14 ins without a decent hitout in a month before meeting us in a fortnight.

- Ric v NM; whatever.

boydogs
11-09-2015, 02:28 PM

I reckon they will, the Hawks will bring the unsociable footy to compensate for aging legs and will be desperate to get the week off & home PF

Greystache
11-09-2015, 03:11 PM
Perfect outcome for this weekend (looks possible):

- We win well.

- Hawthorn and WCE belt into each other in heavy and slippery conditions. After numerous injuries and reports to both teams, WCE kick several late goals to pull away from a beaten Hawks team.

- Freo put away a clearly cooked Swans outfit early and coast through the last half, leaving their 14 ins without a decent hitout in a month before meeting us in a fortnight.

- Ric v NM; whatever.

I'd be happier to see a depleted Sydney team lift for one final hurrah to snatch a victory from Fremantle before running out of legs and crashing in a heap in the prelim. Whoever won out of the hypothetical Hawks vs Dogs semi would be licking their lips.

Ozza
11-09-2015, 03:30 PM
I'd be happier to see a depleted Sydney team lift for one final hurrah to snatch a victory from Fremantle before running out of legs and crashing in a heap in the prelim. Whoever won out of the hypothetical Hawks vs Dogs semi would be licking their lips.

Fair point.

Interesting scenario with Freo. Win tomorrow - and many of their players will be going into the prelim for their 2nd game in about a 4 week period. For Fyfe and 1 or 2 others - even longer.
No idea if this is a good or a bad thing for their players. Probably affects individual players differently.

I know that the Essendon players of 1990 (I know its a different era) talk about the drawn Collingwood v West Coast game, and subsequent replay of the prelim, as being a factor in them losing in 1990, as they had limited footy in September.

LostDoggy
11-09-2015, 03:35 PM

Fair call.

I'm just figuring a winning Swans team would only be stronger in 2 weeks, whereas Freo's light lead in might mean that a cruisy match here and another week off could actually work against them.

Sedat
11-09-2015, 03:39 PM
Your Freo coasting home scenario is highly likely, but I'd much prefer the Swans to get up. That would place us on the Swans PF side of the draw - granted the game would be in Sydney (ANZ Stadium I believe) but that's a million times more preferable than travelling to Perth. Would also mean that Freo and West Coke probably slug it out in Perth in the other PF and bash the absolute suitcase out of each other - winner of that match would be pretty banged up going to the big dance.

Ozza
11-09-2015, 03:59 PM
Gee a Freo v WCE prelim. That would be the biggest game in history in Perth.

bulldogtragic
12-09-2015, 11:34 PM
With the power of hindsight, Honeychurch starting and Daniel warming the pine for 3 quarters... Perhaps not the best move. Thank god that's our last ever AFL game with a sub and we can go back to having 4 on the interchange.