PDA

View Full Version : Want a home final at our home ground next week?

bulldogtragic
05-09-2015, 05:07 PM
Seems the AFL is a little ambivalent on whether we can play at Etihad. If the fans want our final at Etihad then why not hit Facebook, Twitter, email the AFL or other online mediums, or ring radio etc.

It can't hurt if that what you would prefer.

GVGjr
05-09-2015, 05:10 PM
MCG Saturday night sounds pretty good BT

chef
05-09-2015, 05:10 PM
Not going to happen buddy. AFL will just screw us over once again

bulldogtragic
05-09-2015, 05:11 PM

I don't mind Etihad packed in and tribal, a venue we are winning more than 80% this year. Sounds good to me too :)

bornadog
05-09-2015, 05:18 PM
Etihad

G-Mo77
05-09-2015, 05:30 PM
I know it's a dead game but that's an embarrassing loss.

bulldogtragic
05-09-2015, 05:31 PM
Etihad

Tweet the afl and club?

Bulldog4life
05-09-2015, 05:48 PM
I know it's a dead game but that's an embarrassing loss.

Wrong thread

Mantis
05-09-2015, 05:50 PM

I would think that we will play on the Saturday.. Freo v Syd will be Saturday night.

GVGjr
05-09-2015, 07:24 PM
I would think that we will play on the Saturday.. Freo v Syd will be Saturday night.

I think they wanted Swans to fly home on the same day. Expect a 3.40 start (our time) that leads into the news then us in the evening game.

Eastdog
05-09-2015, 07:29 PM
If we were able to play at Etihad why not we play our best footy there but we need to also get experience on the MCG. The grand final is not played at Etihad.

Just imagine hosting a home final at the Whitten Oval. So many will be disappointed not getting in which is why that won't happen :)

GVGjr
05-09-2015, 07:39 PM
If we were able to play at Etihad why not we play our best footy there but we need to also get experience on the MCG. The grand final is not played at Etihad.

Just imagine hosting a home final at the Whitten Oval. So many will be disappointed not getting in which is why that don't happen :)

It's not time for that old chestnut Easty.

boydogs
05-09-2015, 07:51 PM
A game at the MCG would be good preparation if we get Hawthorn the week after

Eastdog
05-09-2015, 07:54 PM
It's not time for that old chestnut Easty.

Sorry GVG nah to be serious that won't happen.

Flamethrower
05-09-2015, 10:22 PM
The AFL are expecting 20,000 Adelaide fans to travel across for the game (Qantas, Virgin etc will make a mint) on top of MCC & AFL members, with a probable crowd over 60,000 - it'll be at the MCG.

Grantysghost
05-09-2015, 11:31 PM
Confirmed - MCG Saturday 7.20 pm

The Underdog
05-09-2015, 11:32 PM
Confirmed at the G. If there's a person less than 50,000, the AFL can go get *!*!*!*!ed

Eastdog
05-09-2015, 11:49 PM
Yep all confirmed Saturday night at the G. Lets get a good crowd in and create huge atmosphere.

GVGjr
06-09-2015, 12:19 AM
Confirmed - MCG Saturday 7.20 pm

As expected. Swans get looked after. Big chance for a good crowd.

Ozza
06-09-2015, 12:56 AM
Happy with the venue and time. Assuming we flew back after today's game, a full week back in Melbourne to recover and prepare.
Looking forward to being on the big stage and prime time Saturday night.

Ozza
06-09-2015, 01:00 AM
As expected. Swans get looked after. Big chance for a good crowd.

Isn't it fair enough that Freo being the top side get a full week off?

Remi Moses
06-09-2015, 01:13 AM
I've got no issues with the venue .

The Underdog
06-09-2015, 01:14 AM

Apart from it not being our home ground, it's great.

Eastdog
06-09-2015, 01:17 AM

Same here Remi. The G is the home of footy. While Etihad is our home ground today it would be good in future years to play some more of our away Victorian games at the G.

jeemak
06-09-2015, 01:47 AM
Well, I can't get there.

I was hoping for a Sunday gig so I could get there from Apollo Bay, but as has been the case numerous times this year, personal relationships have had to take priority over attending games. It's peaking at five games now, too much for my liking.

Twodogs
06-09-2015, 03:03 AM
I've said it before and I will keep saying it. I relish the chance to beat Adelaide at the MCG in a final. It won't make up for 98 or 97 but it will man we have won a final at the 'G against them.

Bring it on!

Remi Moses
06-09-2015, 04:02 AM
No Jarman Robran Rehn McLeod .
I reckon we'll win

Remi Moses
06-09-2015, 04:03 AM
Well, I can't get there.

I was hoping for a Sunday gig so I could get there from Apollo Bay, but as has been the case numerous times this year, personal relationships have had to take priority over attending games. It's peaking at five games now, too much for my liking.

You've got 6 months for that stuff .

chef
06-09-2015, 08:45 AM
Damn, was hoping for a day game so I could go.

Sucks not to get a home final, but the AFL love to stuff us over.

Hotdog60
06-09-2015, 08:56 AM
If we can't win at the MCG there's no point going on (I know it's an elimination and if we don't win we won't go on).
But you know what I mean, we need to get as much time there as possible and on a big stage. Let's put any demons to rest (Pardon the pun) and send the Crows back to Adelaide with a message to whoever is left in the finals after this weekend to beware of the dog.

Eastdog
06-09-2015, 04:01 PM
Damn, was hoping for a day game so I could go.

Sucks not to get a home final, but the AFL love to stuff us over.

Yes if we were given the opportunity to play at Etihad for our home final I wouldn't say no but at the same time its very important we get as much game time on the G. Its a shame during the season that for a lot of our away in Victoria we don't play at the G. Away games are just that away from home which in our case is Etihad.

Bulldog4life
06-09-2015, 06:29 PM
Well, I can't get there.

You have to get your priorities right Jee

Grantysghost
06-09-2015, 07:11 PM
Last two seasons both teams have played three won one at the G. Interesting stat.

F'scary
06-09-2015, 09:37 PM
If we were Hawthorn and Hawthorn played its home matches at the Docklands, the game would be scheduled at the docklands.

Sorry but I am so suss on the AFL, it is not hard to see patterns...

GVGjr
06-09-2015, 10:24 PM
Lets face it the move to the MCG shouldn't be because of a likely sell out at Docklands

When we last played the Crows we drew a crowd of just under 20,000. By my guess we had under 17,000 Bulldog supporters at that game. Even if we allow for a double attendance of our our supporters and a whopping 15,000 from Adelaide it's still a crowd of under 50K.

bornadog
06-09-2015, 10:27 PM
Stringer on the news today. "we don't mind playing at the G as we do have to play there for the Grand Final" :)

Eastdog
06-09-2015, 10:29 PM
Stringer on the news today. "we don't mind playing at the G as we do have to play there for the Grand Final" :)

That's a good attitude. Etihad Stadium is our home ground today but ultimately the spirit of the finals is at the MCG.

Bulldog4life
06-09-2015, 11:09 PM
Be interesting to know if it was Geelong v Adelaide where the game would be played
I am tipping at Geelong

bulldogtragic
06-09-2015, 11:10 PM

Please tell me he finished that sentence with "this year" :D

bulldogtragic
06-09-2015, 11:13 PM
Be interesting to know if it was Geelong v Adelaide where the game would be played
I am tipping at Geelong

Or St Kilda vs (say Sydney) per chance? We are on a hot streak after finally making our own home ground advantage at the soul less cold stadium, and we are not allowed a home game despite finishing in a ladder position high enough to be rewarded with same? I don't like it. I get the players attitude because they need to think that way, but for me it smacks of duplicitous treatment that doesn't support us.

LostDoggy
06-09-2015, 11:21 PM
"Bulldogs will play a home final at Etihad if they earn that right"

"The only way the Bulldogs will get a home final at Etihad is if they have a home final against Adelaide"

"Western Bulldogs v Adelaide Saturday 7:20pm MCG"

:confused:

Eastdog
06-09-2015, 11:31 PM
"Bulldogs will play a home final at Etihad if they earn that right"

"The only way the Bulldogs will get a home final at Etihad is if they have a home final against Adelaide"

"Western Bulldogs v Adelaide Saturday 7:20pm MCG"

:confused:

The AFL sucked us in.

Mantis
07-09-2015, 08:22 AM
I am tipping at Geelong

I doubt it.. It was a different case in 2013 ( when Geelong had a home final) as all finals in week 1 were in Melbourne.

This year it is only 2... And with only 1 more final expected to be played in Melbourne before the GF then I can see a case why the game is to be played at the 'G.. But the AFL's justification statement is ridiculous.

soupman
07-09-2015, 08:38 AM
In a fair and equitable compeittion that has integrity this match gets played at the home ground of the team that has earned it.

However, for our development I think this is a fantastic opportunity for our very young side. We lack finals experience, and we lack MCG experience and this is as good a way to get both as any and atleast the opposition isn't favoured by us playing it there.

angelopetraglia
07-09-2015, 08:57 AM
And it's going to be windy. Very windy. Bringing back memories of that West Coast final already. The conditions could not be further away from what we experience week in, week out at Etihad.

Saturday 12 September
Min 13 Max 20
Partly cloudy. Winds northerly 25 to 40 km/h.

SonofScray
07-09-2015, 09:16 AM
A few things at play here:

1. The AFL make things up as they go. Rules are only guidelines to them, open to various interpretations which suit their agenda at any point in time. For all the benefits, that this game isn't being played at home by the team that earned the right speaks to the integrity of the competition. It has very little. Their logic is pretty poor on this one, spinning us absolute nonsense. There are a whole host of commercial reasons why Etihad would be preferable.

2. The reason this is an issue is because of the way the AFL uses us as the workhorse to meet contractual arrangements at Etihad. We've been effectively locked out of the G and Friday night games for a very long period of time, enough to consider the move away from Etihad for a home fixture a significant inconvenience and to the detriment of a home field advantage. While we are saying we're OK with it, we've lost a little bit in the process.

3. We are in a position where we have to play it down publicly to protect the belief and excitement of the occasion. The AFL has played us perfectly.

Sedat
07-09-2015, 09:19 AM
And it's going to be windy. Very windy. Bringing back memories of that West Coast final already. The conditions could not be further away from what we experience week in, week out at Etihad.

Saturday 12 September
Min 13 Max 20
Partly cloudy. Winds northerly 25 to 40 km/h.
For a team that runs in waves through the corridor by hand, the wind shouldn't be an issue.

I really dislike the "woe is me" attitude that comes through whenever something doesn't quite work out for the club as hoped/planned - and I'm talking about the supporters and not the club in this instance. Honestly I could care less about Etihad Stadium nor its greedy scumbag owners, and the more Dogs supporters that now might get the chance to see the game at the 'G the better. And if any Dogs supporters need any further incentive to go to the game, you'll get the bonus of missing out on Ch.7 single-handedly destroying the coverage on TV and making the experience completely unwatchable.

1eyedog
07-09-2015, 10:10 AM
I doubt it.. It was a different case in 2013 ( when Geelong had a home final) as all finals in week 1 were in Melbourne.

This year it is only 2... And with only 1 more final expected to be played in Melbourne before the GF then I can see a case why the game is to be played at the 'G.. But the AFL's justification statement is ridiculous.

Geelong finished 2nd that year not 6th.

KT31
07-09-2015, 10:18 AM
For a team that runs in waves through the corridor by hand, the wind shouldn't be an issue.

Spoken in your best Confucius voice this would make a great fortune cookie.:D

or change the end around and do a Yoda.

For a team that runs in waves, through the corridor by hand, be an issue, wind shouldn't .:D

Mantis
07-09-2015, 12:31 PM
Geelong finished 2nd that year not 6th.

They did, but they couldn't play all 4 finals at the MCG so they played the lowest drawing game away from that venue.

bulldogtragic
07-09-2015, 08:58 PM
Gerad Whateley "Dogs have been shafted. Had the right to a home final and didn't get it. AFL let dogs down. "

Bulldog4life
07-09-2015, 08:59 PM
Gerad Whateley "Dogs have been shafted. Had the right to a home final and didn't get it. AFL let dogs down. "

He must be a disgruntled bulldogs supporter or an idiot,;)

bulldogtragic
07-09-2015, 09:40 PM
He must be a disgruntled bulldogs supporter or an idiot,;)

So must be Dunstall, Healy, Brown and King. I'm not used to media folk backing what should've been done for our club and not what the afl did.

Bulldog4life
07-09-2015, 09:45 PM
So must be Dunstall, Healy, Brown and King. I'm not used to media folk backing what should've been done for our club and not what the afl did.

Yes I saw it BT Simple fact is we were shafted by the AFL
Other non bulldog people can see it
It is a fact

azabob
07-09-2015, 09:49 PM

Add Tim Watson, lloyd, Eddie McGuire.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
07-09-2015, 09:51 PM
Gerard Whateley is a Geelong supporter

1eyedog
07-09-2015, 09:53 PM
They did, but they couldn't play all 4 finals at the MCG so they played the lowest drawing game away from that venue.

I don't mind playing at the G. We need exposure there and I am pretty confident of beating Adelaide on Saturday. If we come up against the Hawks the week after we'll appreciate the run we had against the Crows as a good precursor to the more serious stuff.

bulldogtragic
07-09-2015, 09:53 PM
Add Tim Watson, lloyd, Eddie McGuire.

So why take it lying down, or giving the appearance of lying down?

azabob
07-09-2015, 09:56 PM
So why take it lying down, or giving the appearance of lying down?

Not sure BT. Maybe not to take the focus off the actual game. McGuire said on radio this morning he believes the reason is because the AFL have more of a commercial interest in the MCG rather than Etihad.
We are a pawn in their overall negotiations.

LostDoggy
07-09-2015, 10:03 PM
Not sure BT. Maybe not to take the focus off the actual game. McGuire said on radio this morning he believes the reason is because the AFL have more of a commercial interest in the MCG rather than Etihad.
We are a pawn in their overall negotiations.

AFL are in the process of buying Etihad so they are keen to push it's value down at any opportunity.

This shouldn't be a big factor in their decision, but we are talking the AFL.

Murphy'sLore
08-09-2015, 09:01 AM
No need to kick up a fuss (at least public ally) when there are so many others doing it for us. Better to keep a dignified silence?

bulldogtragic
08-09-2015, 09:14 AM
No need to kick up a fuss (at least public ally) when there are so many others doing it for us. Better to keep a dignified silence?
Always taking the high road ML. :)

If it were McGuire, Colless, Koch, Brayshaw etc, etc - I'd think they would've made a point publicly if only for their members that it's BS that a team who is entitled to a home final didn't get it. I would've preferred we made it public that we acknowledge our treatment and put it out there strongly that we expect the right in the future to play at our home ground if we qualify to play at our home ground, especially against an interstate team.

LostDoggy
08-09-2015, 10:00 AM
As a club do we really want to appear like we are sulking about not playing at Etihad? All that does it plant seeds of doubt in our players mind about winning at the G as well as give the opposition plenty of ammunition.

bulldogtragic
08-09-2015, 10:08 AM
As a club do we really want to appear like we are sulking about not playing at Etihad? All that does it plant seeds of doubt in our players mind about winning at the G as well as give the opposition plenty of ammunition.

That's the counter position for sure. But if we are going into a window, and if we finish in the top 6 in that window should it eventuate then we deserve to play at our home finals at our home ground (massive crowds permitting). We are winning 80% or so at Etihad so it's an advantage we are being denied despite qualifying for that advantage. We should be digging in our heels more so about future years as they're not changing their minds this year obviously.

LostDoggy
08-09-2015, 10:09 AM
That's the counter position for sure. But if we are going into a window, and if we finish in the top 6 in that window should it eventuate then we deserve to play at our home finals at our home ground (massive crowds permitting). We are winning 80% or so at Etihad so it's an advantage we are being denied despite qualifying for that advantage. We should be digging in our heels more so about future years as they're not changing their minds this year obviously.

Maybe we can whinge and moan after we win? :D

bornadog
08-09-2015, 10:10 AM
Maybe we can whinge and moan after we win? :D

I agree, too late to whinge and moan, should have done that last week.

Greystache
08-09-2015, 11:12 AM
What annoys me most about it is the blatant hypocrisy of the AFL, and as usual, it's pathetic efforts to pretend something isn't what it is.

During the home and away season;

Bulldogs- We want to play our only home game against a high drawing Melbourne based team at the MCG to maximise attendances and ensure we get the best financial return possible.

AFL- No, you're home ground is Etihad and you'll play there exclusively

But when it's finals time and the AFL takes the gate receipts;

Bulldogs- We want to play at Etihad, it's been our home ground all year and we want to continue that.

AFL- No, we want to maximise attendances and ensure we get the best financial return possible.

Then the AFL justify their hypocrisy by claiming they're worried people will get locked out from attending at Etihad, despite the two teams never drawing more than 50,000 in Melbourne in the past 15 years. I'm sick and tired of the AFL pissing down our backs and telling us it's raining.

Nuggety Back Pocket
08-09-2015, 04:50 PM
What annoys me most about it is the blatant hypocrisy of the AFL, and as usual, it's pathetic efforts to pretend something isn't what it is.

During the home and away season;

Bulldogs- We want to play our only home game against a high drawing Melbourne based team at the MCG to maximise attendances and ensure we get the best financial return possible.

AFL- No, you're home ground is Etihad and you'll play there exclusively

But when it's finals time and the AFL takes the gate receipts;

Bulldogs- We want to play at Etihad, it's been our home ground all year and we want to continue that.

AFL- No, we want to maximise attendances and ensure we get the best financial return possible.

Then the AFL justify their hypocrisy by claiming they're worried people will get locked out from attending at Etihad, despite the two teams never drawing more than 50,000 in Melbourne in the past 15 years. I'm sick and tired of the AFL pissing down our backs and telling us it's raining.

I think you will find that this is a political move by the AFL against the current management/ owners of Etihad who have upped the price when the AFL eventually secures ownership.
How can you allow Geelong to play a home final previously against Fremantle at the Cattery and then deny us the same right at Etihad against Adelaide. I would still like us to play more games at the MCG in future years rather than the current one or two to better prepare us in finals football in the future.

bulldogtragic
13-09-2015, 07:23 PM
I hope if we qualify for a home final we get a home final next time. Especially if it's an interstate team, again.

The Bulldogs Bite
13-09-2015, 08:23 PM
I hope if we qualify for a home final we get a home final next time. Especially if it's an interstate team, again.

Honestly, I'd rather we just learn to win on the MCG.

We still had an advantage playing last night, against a side who is far from the best, and couldn't get it done.

Bulldog4life
13-09-2015, 08:34 PM

We still had an advantage playing last night, against a side who is far from the best, and couldn't get it done.

Agree but the AFL should make sure we play more games there during the year

chef
13-09-2015, 08:36 PM

We can win at the G, we just stuffed up last might. Kick straight and we win.

The Bulldogs Bite
13-09-2015, 08:46 PM
We can win at the G, we just stuffed up last might. Kick straight and we win.

We can, and the wide expanses of the MCG do suit us, but the conditions (including atmosphere) are different to that of Etihad and it's something we need much more exposure to which is why I hope for a chunk of games at that venue next season.

We simply should never be losing to Melbourne OR Adelaide at the MCG.

bulldogtragic
07-05-2016, 11:12 PM
So did playing this type of game at Etihad change the result from the EF at the MCG?

Sedat
08-05-2016, 12:17 AM
So did playing this type of game at Etihad change the result from the EF at the MCG?
Probably, but we really had enough chances to win the EF and blew it.

Anyway I want us to learn to win at the MCG because thst is where we'll be in the last 2 weeks of the finals

Eastdog
08-05-2016, 12:20 AM
Probably, but we really had enough chances to win the EF and blew it.

Anyway I want us to learn to win at the MCG because thst is where we'll be in the last 2 weeks of the finals

While Im used to Etihad now and its great winning there ultimately we need to also win at the MCG.

GVGjr
08-05-2016, 12:47 AM
While Im used to Etihad now and its great winning there ultimately we need to also win at the MCG.

Where is this MCG place you talk of Easty? :)

Eastdog
08-05-2016, 01:43 AM

Not too far from Etihad GVG :)

Bulldog4life
08-05-2016, 07:46 PM
Not too far from Etihad GVG :)

I reckon you're a MCC member Easty.

Twodogs
08-05-2016, 08:29 PM

They are having a lend of you I think. The MCG is a cricket ground. You can't play footy on it that would be silly. The players' stops would ruin the centre wicket area.

Eastdog
08-05-2016, 10:24 PM
I reckon you're a MCC member Easty.

Nah not an MCC member. That is another avenue to get into the GF. Need to be a full member for that.

bornadog
09-05-2016, 02:20 PM

Are you sure you aren't Easton Wood.:D

Western Bulldogs captain Easton Wood wants more MCG games (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/western-bulldogs-captain-easton-wood-wants-more-mcg-games-20160509-gopqb4.html)

Sedat
09-05-2016, 02:24 PM

Western Bulldogs captain Easton Wood wants more MCG games (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/western-bulldogs-captain-easton-wood-wants-more-mcg-games-20160509-gopqb4.html)

I want more games at the MCG as well - the GF would be a good place to start ;)

Eastdog
09-05-2016, 05:55 PM

No I'm not Easton Wood BAD :)

Murphy'sLore
09-05-2016, 06:28 PM
But Easty - you're called Easty!!

bulldogtragic
09-05-2016, 06:34 PM

Check & Mate! :D

Eastdog
09-05-2016, 06:35 PM

Just coincidence ��