PDA

View Full Version : Is Roughead really in our best 22 - Right Now?

bornadog
05-09-2015, 06:33 PM
I have major concerns with Roughead at the moment and not just based on today's game. I am basing his output in the last two years. He is almost 25 years old and has played 7 seasons and 88 games.

I think the fullback experiment didn't really work and his ruck work is a long way off where it should be.

Does anyone else have concerns?

GVGjr
05-09-2015, 06:43 PM
He's certainly an interesting discussion topic because from the moment he went to the back line many wanted him in the ruck. I must admit I originally (years ago) wanted him as a forward moving into the ruck but my preference is that he plays as a defender with a few 5 minute bursts in the ruck. I'd be surprised however, if Beveridge moves him back there.

I'd have him in the best 22 but we need to settle him down.

jeemak
05-09-2015, 06:44 PM
Last year in defence he was pilloried due to our unaccountable midfield and his injured shoulder. The year prior he made some serious inroads into becoming an excellent key defender, even though it was early days in his journey.

His rucking ability is seriously overrated from what I've seen.

bornadog
05-09-2015, 06:46 PM
He's certainly an interesting discussion topic because from the moment he went to the back line many wanted him in the ruck. I must admit I originally (years ago) wanted him as a forward moving into the ruck but my preference is that he plays as a defender with a few 5 minute bursts in the ruck. I'd be surprised however, if Beveridge moves him back there.

I'd have him in the best 22 but we need to settle him down.

One thing for sure is we do need to work out his best spot.

Bulldog4life
05-09-2015, 06:47 PM
I prefer Roughy in the backline
Not good enough ruck for a number one ruckman

josie
05-09-2015, 07:24 PM
Yep - I'm concerned.

He does not play close enough to his opp. player when in backline - so even allowing for his bung shoulder last year I think he is not the missing KPD we need.

I do not think he is not up to much in ruck - granted he has not played many games there but not sure seniors is where we want him to perfect his craft. I do think he is a reliable mark so hopefully there is a spot for him. From memory he was a pretty poor set shot when playing in forward line.

Perhaps his best spot is a mobile, tall CHF. Does anyone play this position any more? Is he quick enough to play on the wing like Grant does?

I'd prefer to play Campbell than Roughie at present. At least he is a half decent ruck.

Bulldog4life
05-09-2015, 07:27 PM
Yep - I'm concerned.

He does not play close enough to his opp. player when in backline - so even allowing for his bung shoulder last year I think he is not the missing KPD we need.

I do not think he is not up to much in ruck - granted he has not played many games there but not sure seniors is where we want him to perfect his craft. I do think he is a reliable mark so hopefully there is a spot for him. From memory he was a pretty poor set shot when playing in forward line.

Perhaps his best spot is a mobile, tall CHF. Does anyone play this position any more? Is he quick enough to play on the wing like Grant does?

I'd prefer to play Campbell than Roughie at present. At least his a half decent ruck.

No is the simple answer

kruder
05-09-2015, 07:30 PM
The most disappointing player of 2015 for mine. I agree he needs to be settled into one position but I'd prefer Campbell in the ruck at this stage. That leaves him fighting for a spot with Hamling and Roberts in deference next week.

Rocket Science
05-09-2015, 07:41 PM
One concern I have about Rough is his seemingly immature build and physique and I suspect this goes some way towards explaining his relative fragility.

Found this most noticeably against Goldstein last week...Rough still has the body of a big boned twenty year old, still somehow gangly and undeveloped.

He just ain't put together like most 200 cm AFLers. This is a problem when he's going head to head against blokes who are.

GVGjr
05-09-2015, 07:49 PM
One concern I have about Rough is his seemingly immature build and physique and I suspect this goes some way towards explaining his relative fragility.

Found this most noticeably against Goldstein last week...Rough still has the body of a big boned twenty year old, still somehow gangly and undeveloped.

He just ain't put together like most 200 cm AFLers. This is a problem when he's going head to head against blokes who are.

It's probably got a lot to do with his shoulders and not being able to push himself as hard in the gym.

boydogs
05-09-2015, 07:52 PM
Redpath did a better job in the ruck than Roughead today. I hope he was just taking it easy

lemmon
05-09-2015, 08:22 PM
If he were to go back he's in direct competition with Fletcher Roberts for a spot, I don't think you can play two guys so lumbering in the back half. I'm yet to see anything that convinces me he deserves a spot over Fletch

anfo27
05-09-2015, 11:01 PM
Yeah i'm worried about Roughead. I thought he was terrible today and am not sure where he best suits us. Has look good at times this year but those times are far too fleeting for a player of his standing in the team.

bulldogtragic
05-09-2015, 11:07 PM
I think we persist with him in the ruck. He's behind Redders & Boyd as a tall forward. He's probably 2 or 3 back as a defender. He's as good as any current ruck...

But if we can land a top shelf ruck for next year, then I'm really worried about where he fits in unless the end of the sub means a second ruck/bits player comes back. But I have fingers crossed.

jeemak
06-09-2015, 12:06 AM
Has his form as a defender actually been that bad this year, when he's played there?

I can remember one game where he really struggled, vaguely, but can't pinpoint the detail of it........a little help?

stefoid
06-09-2015, 12:24 AM
He'll be right - he just needs a good run at being the ruck - play him there the whole preseason and let him get over is injuries and stuff.

josie
06-09-2015, 12:38 AM
Has his form as a defender actually been that bad this year, when he's played there?

I can remember one game where he really struggled, vaguely, but can't pinpoint the detail of it........a little help?

Geelong at Cattery - recall he might have come back into side after injury (not sure about that). He was truly woeful that day - not even holding easy marks which is unlike him. Looked bereft of confidence. I know a lot of the side played uninspired footy that day, however he was one of the really poor players from my recollection.

jeemak
06-09-2015, 12:47 AM
Geelong at Cattery - recall he might have come back into side after injury (not sure about that). He was truly woeful that day - not even holding easy marks which is unlike him. Looked bereft of confidence. I know a lot of the side played uninspired footy that day, however he was one of the really poor players from my recollection.

Thanks J. What a pisser that game was as part of the quagmire of mid season so and so guff we served up but managed to win here and there.

Ozza
06-09-2015, 12:50 AM
Interesting topic.

As a ruckman, he is quite ordinary in the stoppages- and quite reasonable around the ground.
As a defender, well no doubts his best games have been played there. But we also have Roberts, Hamling and Talia competing for those roles- and when the opposition doesn't have a monster forward, then Rough can be without a great match up.
As a forward- he is rubbish.

For me, it's quite clear that defence is HIS best position. But for the team, he probably should continue rucking because Minsin is gone, Ayce can't play there, and Campbell is probably not quite where he needs to be, albeit a strong chance to be there.

Roughie was hugely disappointing today. Embarrassingly bad. But given he played a solid game against North- I can cop him being next weeks ruckman if Tom Boyd is in the side.

jeemak
06-09-2015, 12:57 AM
I thought he was pretty ordinary in the ruck against Norf too, but I'm alone on that one.

bornadog
06-09-2015, 01:01 AM
I thought he was pretty ordinary in the ruck against Norf too, but I'm alone on that one.

Goldstein had 54 hitouts to Roughead 20 and Redpath 5, so you are not alone their.

I think Roughead has struggled in defence and is only suited to the resting ruckman type, not the real gorilla forwards.

Ozza
06-09-2015, 01:05 AM

I gave him a 'solid' game, on account of us having a good win in the clearances, some good bullocking work around the stoppages, and keeping Goldy under control around the ground (unlike today's pathetic effort).

jeemak
06-09-2015, 01:10 AM
Goldstein had 54 hitouts to Roughead 20 and Redpath 5, so you are not alone their.

I think Roughead has struggled in defence and is only suited to the resting ruckman type, not the real gorilla forwards.

We probably differ on that front. Roughead has in previous seasons garnered mixed results without the team structured defence our backline benefits from nowadays. I genuinely believe aside from Wood he's our best intercept marking option if played in defence. As our ruck stocks have been proven either incompetent, barely competent or not quite ready as yet we've had to throw him around the ground more than I think he can handle, and due to a reasonable show in the ruck against Melbourne at the G he's been pushed away from defence and into the ruck out of necessity.

We've also had to blood Roberts and Hamling this year, which is a good thing to a point however, it's meant Roughead has been squeezed out somewhat.

I don't think the former is prepared enough at this stage, and if Campbell can come back and play ruck Roughead should get to go back and play on an Adelaide tall in the position he's had the most experience in over his AFL career.

lemmon
06-09-2015, 07:53 AM
We've also had to blood Roberts and Hamling this year, which is a good thing to a point however, it's meant Roughead has been squeezed out somewhat.

I don't think the former is prepared enough at this stage, and if Campbell can come back and play ruck Roughead should get to go back and play on an Adelaide tall in the position he's had the most experience in over his AFL career.

Would you be leaving out Roberts or Hamling to make this happen? I don't see how we can justify dropping one of the incumbents who have both had pretty good years for a guy who had a half decent season as a full back 24 months ago. He was pretty poor their last year (shoulder or no shoulder) and he's had little to no exposed form in the back half this season.

It's hard not to like Roughy but if we are keeping the same ruck structure and want Campbell back in the side, I can't find a spot for him. He's a great leader and a good citizen but as a player I expect more from a guy with 87 games under his belt

Scorlibo
06-09-2015, 10:55 AM
He'll be right - he just needs a good run at being the ruck - play him there the whole preseason and let him get over is injuries and stuff.

I agree with this. He's never been given an opportunity to play ruck as a mature body, he needs some time there to refine his craft.

In my opinion he's been just as effective at the hitouts as Campbell and is far more capable at ground level. His game against North was important for his team-high 8 tackles and Goldstein's limited impact. Admittedly Stef Martin pantsed him yesterday but two games in the ruck against the best two ruckmen in the comp - not a great sample size for judging his potential there.

We've seen what Roughy can offer down back and it's not awful but not great. I'm not confident he can be a cog in a premiership defense.

Dancin' Douggy
06-09-2015, 12:04 PM
Roughead is a tough one.

You take him out of the team and look at him as an individual specimen, and he looks the goods.

He's coordinated, pretty agile, and moves well for a player his size. He's not one of those big dufus types.
He's generally a good kick and a pretty decent mark.

He is also touted as a very popular teammate and leadership material.

But you put him IN the team, and you're not quite sure what to do with him.

Already on this thread the suggestions have been CHF, Key defender, Ruck, and even wing?!?
He hasn't really nailed down a role. Maybe he will suddenly 'click' in a position, which CAN happen to players in the 24 -26 yr old age group. Players who, up until that point, have just been drifters.

Or.............maybe he won't?

Is he a handy utility to have on the interchange bench to cover for injury or just to replace someone who's having an off day? To plug a gap in attack, defence, or the ruck? A versatile chess piece to move around the board?
That, at the moment, would appear to be the best way to use him.

Wonder what he'd be worth in a trade?

Sedat
06-09-2015, 01:11 PM
Don't think he'll be in the ruck next week, what with Walker, Jenkins and Tom Lynch roaming Adelaide's forward line. He takes Jenkins for mine.

Rocco Jones
06-09-2015, 01:15 PM
Don't think he'll be in the ruck next week, what with Walker, Jenkins and Tom Lynch roaming Adelaide's forward line. He takes Jenkins for mine.

It's Roughy, Roberts and Campbell into 2 spots.

Is Roughy a better KPD option than Roberts next week?

azabob
06-09-2015, 01:17 PM

Being at night will this impact our selections?

I wouldn't be surprised if we preferred to go small, very similar to how we went in against North Melbourne.

Sedat
06-09-2015, 01:18 PM
I'd say that is a marginal call either way, but Roughy gets the nod as he offers more in the event of injury on the night to a Campbell or a key forward.

bornadog
06-09-2015, 01:48 PM

Are you happy with Hamling at the moment?

Rocco Jones
06-09-2015, 02:04 PM
Are you happy with Hamling at the moment?

Not really. None of our KP defenders, forwards or rucks are in 'good' form at the moment (not counting Stringer as a KPP).

Rocco Jones
06-09-2015, 02:06 PM
Our league best small-medium defenders and forwards really cover up for our league worst KPPs.

LostDoggy
06-09-2015, 02:07 PM
On a day when Lions had 35 shots on goal, Roberts and Hamling held their tall forwards largely ineffectual.

Not sure why everyone is down on them.

For me, the question is more whether Campbell offers anything in the Ruck that Roughy doesn't?

Nuggety Back Pocket
06-09-2015, 11:00 PM

On what we saw yesterday you could expect Roughead to replace Roberts in defence and to play on Jenkins/ Jacobs. I would be happy to see Campbell or Minson take over in the ruck.

Greystache
07-09-2015, 11:05 AM
It's probably got a lot to do with his shoulders and not being able to push himself as hard in the gym.

He also trimmed down noticeably when we started playing him as a key defender to help his mobility. He totally changed his body shape.

Greystache
07-09-2015, 11:08 AM
At least when can finally end the myth that Roughy is a ruckman/forward waiting to explode who was being held back by an incompetent coach who made him play in defence. He's a terrible forward, an average ruck, and has played easily the best footy of his AFL career when he was fit and playing in defence. I'd like to see him set himself to be a key defender who does a 5 minute burst in the ruck from time to time. He could at least tailor his preseason to the role he is going to play.

whythelongface
07-09-2015, 01:23 PM
At least when can finally end the myth that Roughy is a ruckman/forward waiting to explode who was being held back by an incompetent coach who made him play in defence. He's a terrible forward, an average ruck, and has played easily the best footy of his AFL career when he was fit and playing in defence. I'd like to see him set himself to be a key defender who does a 5 minute burst in the ruck from time to time. He could at least tailor his preseason to the role he is going to play.

As much as I hate to agree with you on this (as I always held hope that his best position was in the ruck) I think you are pretty much spot on, barring one or two decent ruck performances eg. Goldstein. Whilst I do think now that his best position is a FB, I would also like to see him have bursts as a ruck and occasionally provide an option forward. Thus for the EF I would like to see him drop back to defence and take the spot of Roberts.

Cyberdoggie
07-09-2015, 02:22 PM
Roughy's problem is that he doesn't excel in any one particular role.

Bevo is all about versatility and Roughy has that but if he can't be a lock for any one particular role then he may struggle to find a place in the team if others come knocking.

Let's say Roberts and Hamling nail down those key posts, and Morris plays another year. Most likely we will trade for a ruckman like Martin who can play play like a midfielder and still be dominant ruck. What happens to Roughy then?

Remi Moses
07-09-2015, 02:34 PM
Roughy's body just can't stand the rigours of playing in the ruck .
He's injuries are becoming a major concern

GVGjr
07-09-2015, 07:54 PM

The only probably I think he faces when rucking is around consistency and fitness. I've mentioned it a few times but I think he would have a problem trying to back up a good game week after week.

The highlighted is exactly my position on how we can best use him.

LostDoggy
08-09-2015, 09:18 AM
On what we saw yesterday you could expect Roughead to replace Roberts in defence and to play on Jenkins/ Jacobs. I would be happy to see Campbell or Minson take over in the ruck.
Why would that be? Roberts was fine down back and roughhead was one of our worst performed, the more i watch of roughead the more i think he wont make it.