PDA

View Full Version : Jake Stringer - 50 Games

Ozza
10-09-2015, 05:15 PM
Congratulations to Jake Stringer on 50 games this weekend.

In his 49 games to date, he has already delivered 92 goals (including one bag of 6, three bags of 5, and 4 goals on eight occasions). Not to mention some time on the ball, a stint in defence learning the caper - and in all that time, too many highlight reel moments to mention.

It is daunting to think about what the next 50 games will bring. Scary even.

So glad he wears our colours.

The Package.

bornadog
10-09-2015, 05:20 PM
Will be AA this year

1eyedog
10-09-2015, 05:21 PM
There's going to come a time when he gets completely off the leash and kicks a massive, massive bag.

Greystache
10-09-2015, 05:22 PM
Well done Jesse :D

He feels like the type of player that could get hot in a final and take the game away from a team in a quarter. Hopefully we see it this year.

F'scary
10-09-2015, 05:23 PM
May every game be a Package game.

bornadog
10-09-2015, 05:27 PM
There's going to come a time when he gets completely off the leash and kicks a massive, massive bag.

Kicked 6 to 3/4 time when we beat Adelaide and then was subbed off.

Love to see him kick a bag on Saturday night.

Ozza
10-09-2015, 05:28 PM
Kicked 6 to 3/4 time when we beat Adelaide and then was subbed off.

Love to see him kick a bag on Saturday night.

If he has 6 to 3 quarter time on Saturday night...then it will be party time!

josie
10-09-2015, 06:16 PM
Congrats Jakey !!

Let's hope cheer squad are able to sing "There's only one Jakey Stringer" lots of time this Sat. and that you weave lots of Stringer magic on the big stage.

bulldogtragic
10-09-2015, 07:45 PM
Is it 50 for Jake?

I have it down as 40 games to Jake Stringer and 10 games to Jesse Stringer. Great effort for both Stringers.

comrade
10-09-2015, 08:20 PM
Would love a 10+ minute highlights 'package' of Jake's first 50 games. You'd be hard pressed to find a player with a better one.

ReLoad
10-09-2015, 09:32 PM
I know Turtle had an awesome first 50 games, he was a clear highlight in those years, but between Stringer and the Bont, are they the best 50 gamers we have ever seen at our club?

I mean the package just does whatever the hell the package wants, doesn't even pay postage. He flicks that beast mode switch and puts on a show.
The Bont is a human highlight reel, does things that others simply cannot.

Is it just me but does it feel like we have both superman AND Batman on the same team?

comrade
10-09-2015, 09:34 PM
Is it just me but does it feel like we have both superman AND Batman on the same team?

Which is which?

My gut says Bonti is Superman and Stringer is Batman.

Go_Dogs
11-09-2015, 08:21 AM
'The Package' is the reason most of my mates love watching the Dogs, and a number of neutrals are asking to borrow some colours for Saturday night.

Hope he turns it on and showcases some brilliance, and maturity, on the big stage. It's set for him to do so.

jazzadogs
11-09-2015, 09:22 AM
I've been on board since he brushed aside a couple of ?Hawks players in a NAB Cup match at Etihad and slotted the goal with a checkside. I was out of my seat and knew we had something special.

It's only got better since then. Does Macca get any credit for giving him that stint in defence last year? His end to last year was almost as good as this year...

Mantis
11-09-2015, 09:40 AM
It's only got better since then. Does Macca get any credit for giving him that stint in defence last year? His end to last year was almost as good as this year...

Macca doesn't get credit for anything. :D.. Seriously if Jake picked up a couple of tips playing in defence it was useful.

As with others I hope he brings it on Saturday night, there is extremely high expectations on Jake, but looking from the outside he seems the type who likes to be 'the man'.

I hope the next 150 are as much fun as the last 30.

Ozza
11-09-2015, 10:53 AM
Macca doesn't get credit for anything. :D.. Seriously if Jake picked up a couple of tips playing in defence it was useful.

As with others I hope he brings it on Saturday night, there is extremely high expectations on Jake, but looking from the outside he seems the type who likes to be 'the man'.

I hope the next 150 are as much fun as the last 30.

I'm nervous, but excited - regarding the expectations on Jake...and what the outcome might be.

I'm pretty confident that Macrae will be one of our better players on the night also.

whythelongface
11-09-2015, 12:14 PM
I know Turtle had an awesome first 50 games, he was a clear highlight in those years, but between Stringer and the Bont, are they the best 50 gamers we have ever seen at our club?

I mean the package just does whatever the hell the package wants, doesn't even pay postage. He flicks that beast mode switch and puts on a show.

The scary bit with the Bont is that he still has 22 games left to go to reach the 50 game milestone. Amazing when you think about the talent that this kid has.

Back onto Stringer - it is hard to compare against Turtle - but yeah I tend to agree that it is the best first 50 games by a Bulldogs player. It is just awesome to think that he will be with us for another 150 odd games.

It is amazing to think that we have two genuine out and out superstars representing our club at the same time.

Mofra
11-09-2015, 12:41 PM
That highlights package from Stringer on the Bulldogs website is scary

Throughandthrough
11-09-2015, 12:42 PM
He's the Chris Grant of the next generation

Dancin' Douggy
11-09-2015, 12:57 PM
He's the Chris Grant of the next generation
He's got something that Grant never had though. That supreme arrogant confidence.

Happy Days
11-09-2015, 01:38 PM
http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2015-09-11/stringers-sizzling-showreel

Good LORD that's just dirty. How lucky are we, not just that he's ours, but that we don't have to play against him.

kruder
11-09-2015, 02:00 PM
Only 50 games and one of my all time favouriute Bulldog players. Have we ever had a more exciting player to watch? He and Bont will go down as Bulldog legends make no mistake.

LostDoggy
11-09-2015, 02:05 PM
Did anyone see his interview through the week where he reckons he's 2 preseasons away from getting back to peak power after his injuries.

Holy moley.

Greystache
11-09-2015, 02:54 PM

Chris Grant kicked 96 goals in his first 49 games. Stringer has 92 in his first 49 games.

Considering forwards kick less goals on average than they did back in the 90's you could make a case for Stringer's first 50 games being better.

The Bulldogs Bite
11-09-2015, 02:54 PM
Chris Grant kicked 96 goals in his first 49 games. Stringer has 92 in his first 49 games.

Considering forwards kick less goals on average than they did back in the 90's you could make a case for Stringer's first 50 games being better.

Lawd.

That stat makes me giddy.

Bulldog4life
11-09-2015, 02:56 PM

In Chris's favour he was 17 years old in his first season when he kicked 50 goals. A huge effort.

bornadog
11-09-2015, 03:01 PM
Every goal this bloke kicks is freaky, or seems to be.

hujsh
11-09-2015, 03:52 PM
In Chris's favour he was 17 years old in his first season when he kicked 50 goals. A huge effort.

You can also say that Stringer was coming off a pretty bad injury

Ozza
11-09-2015, 03:55 PM
Chris Grant was quite exceptional in his first finals series as a 19 year old.

Greystache
11-09-2015, 04:01 PM

As much as we all love Chris, he kicked 3 goals in 2 games against top 4 team Geelong in 10 goal losses. Sadly it set the tone for many future finals performances from him and some of his peers.

Mantis
11-09-2015, 04:02 PM

Yep, he was quiet against Geelong in the 1st game, but set the tone in the 1st qtr against St.Kilda the following week and finished with 5 from the HFF.

LostDoggy
11-09-2015, 04:21 PM
Good key forwards that finals series, Grant kicked 8 from CHF as a teenager and Del Re kicked 13 in our 3 matches.

Del Re was amazing that year.

Ozza
11-09-2015, 04:42 PM
As much as we all love Chris, he kicked 3 goals in 2 games against top 4 team Geelong in 10 goal losses. Sadly it set the tone for many future finals performances from him and some of his peers.

Harsh recollection 'stache. He was playing on a half forward flank in '92 and still went pretty well in the losses.
He had an ordinary finals series in 1994 - but he, with most of the team, were carrying injuries and looking gone.
But in 1997 - 2000 he was very very good in most finals, save for the 1998 prelim when we were very poor as a side.

Greystache
11-09-2015, 05:15 PM
Harsh recollection 'stache. He was playing on a half forward flank in '92 and still went pretty well in the losses.
He had an ordinary finals series in 1994 - but he, with most of the team, were carrying injuries and looking gone.
But in 1997 - 2000 he was very very good in most finals, save for the 1998 prelim when we were very poor as a side.

It's just the facts. From 1992 to 1998 he played 6 finals against top 4 teams (inc Adelaide who won the flag in 98 from 5th) for a total of 8 goals. A poor return from a great player at the peak of his powers.

LostDoggy
11-09-2015, 08:39 PM
Congrats Jakey on the most exciting first 50 games that I've had the pleasure to witness.
You are the Full Package.

ReLoad
11-09-2015, 10:30 PM
Del Re was amazing that year.

Best Nose in the game, it was so big it provided shade to a dozen African villages.

bulldogtragic
12-09-2015, 07:57 PM
Doug Hawkins announced on channel 7 that Jake Stringer is the new Gary Ablett Senior!!

How many players would've had a 50 goal season before their 50th game?

bornadog
12-09-2015, 09:33 PM
Needs to get into this game

Ghost Dog
12-09-2015, 11:03 PM
Threw him into the midfield too late. Good experience and got on the scoreboard at an important point.

LostDoggy
08-02-2016, 02:11 PM
Giansiracusa was talking today about Stringer's preseason. Said he's completed every full session (I can remember facebook posts of JS and JJ doing extra gym work together during our down time also) and has increased his tank by 10-15% with more improvement to come. Expect longer midfield bursts this year (I think we all did anyway).

Also said we returned from the Sunshine Coast with 41 fit and healthy players, with only Crameri and The Smiths out of the picture.

Goddammit, will this season just start already.

F'scary
08-02-2016, 10:17 PM
I liked Stringer coming off the back of the square at the ball-ups in 2015. I can see him start in the square a couple of times a quarter in 2016 but I think he is wasted if he is playing on the ball in general play at the expense of some one-on-one time in the forward 50 metre arc. That is where he got about 50 of his 56 goals.

ledge
09-02-2016, 09:41 AM
I liked Stringer coming off the back of the square at the ball-ups in 2015. I can see him start in the square a couple of times a quarter in 2016 but I think he is wasted if he is playing on the ball in general play at the expense of some one-on-one time in the forward 50 metre arc. That is where he got about 50 of his 56 goals.

I think it depends on match ups with particular teams. If a team had a small full back use Tom Boyd or the ruck man up forward and let Stringer loose through the middle and boot it down to them.

It's also about giving the centre players a rest in a forward pocket like the old days.

bulldogtragic
08-04-2016, 05:35 PM

The from The Bendigo Advertiser 10 years ago, some kids who dreamt of playing footy professionally when they grow up. In the words of George W. Bush, "Mission Accolpished".