PDA

View Full Version : Chris Grant

GVGjr
27-11-2007, 07:52 PM
Stay tuned for this one.....

Chris Grant will return to Whitten Oval tomorrow – Wednesday, 28 November – for a major announcement with former teammates and coaching staff.

Dancin' Douggy
27-11-2007, 08:01 PM
Maybe I'm crazy but I hope he's doing a gehrig

Topdog
27-11-2007, 08:04 PM
What the ****? I can't wait to hear what this is

hotdog
27-11-2007, 08:04 PM
If this was the case and CG went around for one more year, I would be happy to go crazy!

Scorlibo
27-11-2007, 08:06 PM
Ha Ha yea, wouldn't that be something. I don't think Chris is the type to suddenly find his passion for the game (and regain his fitness) again. Should be interesting none the less.

hujsh
27-11-2007, 08:06 PM
Maybe I'm crazy but I hope he's doing a gehrig

can he even nominate for the psd

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
27-11-2007, 08:08 PM
If this was the case and CG went around for one more year, I would be happy to go crazy!

Would he not have to nominate for the pre-season draft? If so why not do it last week and we could've used the pick we passed on to re-sign him?

Mantis
27-11-2007, 08:11 PM
And I was so looking forward to Scott Welsh pulling on a Bulldogs jumper...was even going to his number on my duffel coat.;)

Seriously it's hopefully something to do with a part-time coaching role or perhaps something to do with the re-development.

LostDoggy
27-11-2007, 08:21 PM
The first thing I thought was 'oh no, he's giving Dale his number'...but somehow I don't think it's that anymore. I hope it's to do some coaching work, that'd be fantastic.

hujsh
27-11-2007, 08:27 PM
Mabye they're retiring his number temporarily, presenting it to a new or current player. Some thing to do with his 3.

BulldogBelle
27-11-2007, 08:53 PM

Chris Grant will return to Whitten Oval tomorrow – Wednesday, 28 November – for a major announcement with former teammates and coaching staff.

Ohhh, this has us all thinking ...but the key words in that passage you have written GVG is "with former teammates and coaching staff" so it sounds like some sort of a joint venture. I can't wait to hear what it is. Perhaps maybe something to do with the naming of the Bulldogs Hall of Fame?

Go_Dogs
27-11-2007, 09:00 PM
Hmmm. Wonder what it could be.

bornadog
27-11-2007, 09:13 PM
Ohhh, this has us all thinking ...but the key words in that passage you have written GVG is "with former teammates and coaching staff" so it sounds like some sort of a joint venture. I can't wait to hear what it is. Perhaps maybe something to do with the naming of the Bulldogs Hall of Fame?

Chris Grant Hall of fame?? I think your on to something Bulldog Belle

BulldogBelle
27-11-2007, 09:15 PM
Ok so much speculating, let us all have a guess as to what it could be and the closest answer has bragging rights.

I think that he will be joining up with former teammates and they have come up with some new initiative to help the club further or the naming rights to the Hall Of Fame having something to do with Chris Grant and the former players.

BulldogBelle
27-11-2007, 09:17 PM
Chris Grant Hall of fame?? I think your on to something Bulldog Belle

Hmmm, just could be, geez I love that bloke.

Max469
27-11-2007, 09:40 PM
What a lovely sound: Chris Grant Hall of Fame.

Has a magical sound to it.

GVGjr
27-11-2007, 09:43 PM
Hmmm, just could be, geez I love that bloke.

Perhaps it could be putting a restraining order on BulldogBelle ;)

BulldogBelle
27-11-2007, 09:47 PM

Ohhh, heaven forbid that would be devastating for him, oops I mean me. :D

Dry Rot
27-11-2007, 09:53 PM

Nah, she privately told me that Peter Street is the only man for her. ;)

BulldogBelle
27-11-2007, 10:03 PM
Nah, she privately told me that Peter Street is the only man for her. ;)

Nah, you have me mixed up with someone else, wasn't it Mrs Boyd that told you that? ;)

LostDoggy
27-11-2007, 10:31 PM
Surely has to be something to do with the jumper. That or something named after him in the redev.

Either way, im excited. ;)

LostDoggy
28-11-2007, 12:10 AM
What time tomorrow - and will it be televised or should I just listen to SEN?

GVGjr
28-11-2007, 01:12 PM
Mabye they're retiring his number temporarily, presenting it to a new or current player. Some thing to do with his 3.

Spot on. Everitt has big shoes to fill now. :)

LostDoggy
26-09-2010, 10:11 PM
Anyone read the little article in the back of today's Herald Sun?

Just purchased a property in Williamstown from Ray Horsburgh, $4 million.

Rocco Jones
26-09-2010, 10:19 PM
My partner's nan lives next door to Granty and I stay over a bit (I do have other reasons other than stalking). I am actually there now and staying over tonight.

He always very lovely when he sees us, I do my best to hide my utter love for him.

LostDoggy
26-09-2010, 10:21 PM

GG re-open this old thread. I was thinking it was to do with him joining as an assisstant coach. Kept on reading posts about him doing a possible come back and thinking people have gone loco on the forum. Till I read the date of the posts....

immortalmike
27-09-2010, 03:02 AM
My partner's nan lives next door to Granty and I stay over a bit (I do have other reasons other than stalking). I am actually there now and staying over tonight.

He always very lovely when he sees us, I do my best to hide my utter love for him.

Do you use a notebook or just untuck your shirt...:D

KT31
27-09-2010, 09:48 AM

Has the Horse been run out of town after the Knights saga.;)
Didn't know Grant had the right sort of handshake to associate in Horses circle.;)

Nuggety Back Pocket
27-09-2010, 03:27 PM

I would have thought he would be an ideal replacement for Leon Cameron on the MC.
We need a new injection to our coaching ranks and who better than the famous No. 3.

LostDoggy
27-09-2010, 05:58 PM
I would have thought he would be an ideal replacement for Leon Cameron on the MC.
We need a new injection to our coaching ranks and who better than the famous No. 3.

Can only dream… Would dearly love to have him back at the club. Seeks no glory, has no agenda, would make a fabulous assistant coach.

LostDoggy
27-09-2010, 06:05 PM

This is an old thread from a few years ago

Rocco Jones
27-09-2010, 09:43 PM
Do you use a notebook or just untuck your shirt...:D

He laughed at a joke I made today. I'm even more in love now!

I know I am stating the obvious here but he is such a quality bloke. Always, always makes a point to ask how we are, gives a smile etc. I said it in another thread but when my partner's nan broke her leg he gave her his and his wife's home and mobile numbers and told her to call whenever if she needed help.

immortalmike
28-09-2010, 02:00 AM
He laughed at a joke I made today. I'm even more in love now!

I know I am stating the obvious here but he is such a quality bloke. Always, always makes a point to ask how we are, gives a smile etc. I said it in another thread but when my partner's nan broke her leg he gave her his and his wife's home and mobile numbers and told her to call whenever if she needed help.

Yeah I've always heard stories about how nice a bloke he is. It wasn't until I met him at highpoint once that I truely believed them. Absolute star, both as a player and as a bloke.

Remi Moses
28-09-2010, 02:58 AM
Champion bloke Champion Footballer. Didn't know the ABC paid so well!:eek:

KT31
16-04-2016, 10:05 AM
Had a message from a mate last night that the Great Man is going to co-coach the Spotswood Womens Team.

http://www.spotswoodfc.com.au/news/chris-grant-to-co-coach-spotty/

EasternWest
16-04-2016, 09:43 PM
That's cool.

bornadog
30-01-2017, 12:04 PM
Grant is one of the all time champions of the club.

Here is a video from Al where he kicks 6

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5DWBYH8vNk&list=TLGGxSKez1pXjtAyOTAxMjAxNw

Twodogs
30-01-2017, 04:32 PM
Grant is one of the all time champions of the club.

Here is a video from Al where he kicks 6

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5DWBYH8vNk&list=TLGGxSKez1pXjtAyOTAxMjAxNw

With his skills and athleticism he would play as a tall mid resting forward these days.

LostDoggy
30-01-2017, 08:16 PM
Great call TD.
Would be unstoppable.

LostDoggy
30-01-2017, 08:24 PM
Imagine if they had something like the State Bank or Pyramid Building Society Rising Star Award in his first year in 1990.
As a 17 year old and the youngest player ever to kick 50 goals in a season he would have smashed it home.

Topdog
31-01-2017, 03:28 PM
With his skills and athleticism he would play as a tall mid resting forward these days.

Would be like the Bont. Imagine Bont and Grant together?!?!?!

KT31
31-01-2017, 04:09 PM

Ah stop it Td, now I'm never going to get any work done.:)

Twodogs
31-01-2017, 04:10 PM

Looking at them they aren't that dissimilar. If anything the Bont looks a bit bigger and taller than Chris. But the way they attack the ball as if they are the only player in the contest and a tendency to make older more experienced opponents look like a bit of a goose sometimes. Chris Grant did it almost apologetically whereas the Bont loves it, that's the difference.

KT31
31-01-2017, 04:28 PM
Looking at them they aren't that dissimilar. If anything the Bont looks a bit bigger and taller than Chris. But the way they attack the ball as if they are the only player in the contest and a tendency to make older more experienced opponents look like a bit of a goose sometimes. Chris Grant did it almost apologetically whereas the Bont loves it, that's the difference.

Great point TD, I thought at times Grant's minor issue was he was too nice and could have done with a bit more rex.

bornadog
31-01-2017, 11:28 PM
Great point TD, I thought at times Grant's minor issue was he was too nice and could have done with a bit more rex.

I don't agree with that, he attacked the ball full of aggression. I remember one day he tackled an Essendon player front on and cracked his ribs.

craigsahibee
01-02-2017, 01:50 PM
Imagine if they had something like the State Bank or Pyramid Building Society Rising Star Award in his first year in 1990.
As a 17 year old and the youngest player ever to kick 50 goals in a season he would have smashed it home.

Probably would have been pipped by 1 vote by Anthony Banik. KB didn't give him a vote and there was a dodgy betting plunge on Banik by esteemed ABC pundit Geoff Leek.

Twodogs
01-02-2017, 03:03 PM
Probably would have been pipped by 1 vote by Anthony Banik. KB didn't give him a vote and there was a dodgy betting plunge on Banik by esteemed ABC pundit Geoff Leek.

And a very late plunge by a little bloke with his cap pulled right down over his face. No idea who he was. Impossible to say. He did a blind turn around one of the patrons on the way out though.

LostDoggy
02-02-2017, 02:03 AM
The 1992 AFL Rising Star Award apparently would have finished like this:

1ST: Ben Hart
The Adelaide Crows have packed a one-two punch here, with 17-year-old Ben Hart having a dream debut season. Playing all 22 games and earning All-Australian selection in the BP, it's hard to argue with his win.

2ND: Shaun Rehn
The Adelaide Crows ruckman had played six games prior to 1992, and was 20 years old when the season started. He probably only missed All-Australian selection due to Scott Wynd's superior season.

3RD: David Schwarz
The Melbourne Demons key forward played six games prior to 1992, and he was 19 years old when the season began. Twenty goals, five marks and sixteen disposals per game, along with six Brownlow Medal votes, justifies this placing of third.

4TH: Darryl White
The Brisbane Bears utility had an impressive debut season, despite his team struggling on the field. Playing at both ends of the ground, White kicked seventeen goals for the season, averaged over fourteen disposals per game, and polled six Brownlow Medal votes.

5TH: Peter Riccardi
The Geelong Cats midfielder played sixteen home and away games, and finished off the season playing in all four of Geelong's finals matches. Eighteen goals from sixteen games, over sixteen disposals per game, and four Brownlow Medal votes, as well as a finals campaign, was a dream debut season for Riccardi.

In 1991, Paul Hudson would have won the Award too.

I am not sure about 1990. Grant certainly would have been a chance, but Carey probably would have been more fancied.

KT31
02-02-2017, 10:28 AM
I don't agree with that, he attacked the ball full of aggression. I remember one day he tackled an Essendon player front on and cracked his ribs.

I didn't mean his attack on the ball, it was more meant as his demeaner.
He was a champion, my second favourite Doggies player of all time but if you put Chris at the same age in Bonts shoes the North game this year he may have had a great game but Bont made a statement.

Twodogs
02-02-2017, 12:11 PM
I didn't mean his attack on the ball, it was more meant as his demeaner.
He was a champion, my second favourite Doggies player of all time but if you put Chris at the same age in Bonts shoes the North game this year he may have had a great game but Bont made a statement.

Oh yeah. Chris Grant was one of the last players I can remember paying back on the field. He was tough and he flew the flag for his mates when he had to.

But he'd kick the goal of the century after taking the mark of the century all in the same play and look at his teammates with his"gosh fellas, thanks for all your hard work" look. Whereas when the Bont does that then he will be right up in the face of the 'opposition's faux tough guy that kneed him in the back of the leg the first chance he got' with a grin on his face telling him what a weak piece of shit he really is.

Different eras I guess. They'd be crazy to play the game at the same high impact level we had even just a few years ago nowadays with the speed the game is played at. The damage to players would be unsustainable-we'd run out of players so there tends to be more sledging done these days I reckon.

bornadog
14-03-2018, 10:08 AM
Now a legend

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DYKeaOqU0AAARdE.jpg

chef
14-03-2018, 04:12 PM
You could see he was going to be a legend from day dot. My favourite ever Doggie.

Well done Chris and thank you for being one of us.

GVGjr
14-03-2018, 07:09 PM
You could see he was going to be a legend from day dot. My favourite ever Doggie.

Well done Chris and thank you for being one of us.

His first game from my memory was against the Saints at the Western Oval. He took a few chest marks and had trouble converting from 30mtrs but looked classy.
Pretty sure it was Barry Standfields first game as well. He spent some time on Lockett that day.

The following week I think Leon Cameron played his first game for us.

merantau
14-03-2018, 07:36 PM
I've seen a lot of football and there weren't many, if any, forwards who were scragged, blocked and held more than Chris Grant. Chris was an out-and-out champion player and a great bloke to boot. Staunch and loyal. Great man.

Twodogs
14-03-2018, 08:32 PM
His first game from my memory was against the Saints at the Western Oval. He took a few chest marks and had trouble converting from 30mtrs but looked classy.
Pretty sure it was Barry Standfields first game as well. He spent some time on Lockett that day.

The following week I think Leon Cameron played his first game for us.

Nine kicks, two goals three, good recall. Glen Coleman played him first game for us too. That season we also had Keenan Reynolds, and Danny Del Re debuted.

jeemak
15-03-2018, 02:52 AM
Chris Grant is probably the most underrated footballer ever to play the game.

Since EJ there has not been a player who could easily dominate a game from either CHF or CHB. Since well before Chris, there hasn't been a KPP to finish second in a Brownlow, or first in a Brownlow from two of the major half positions, and there won't be another one.

The guy was an absolute freak who had the entire media against him because of the King Carey and James Hird fandom that was all to prevalent during the 90's.

The guy kicked 2/3's of the goals Carey did, but played sixty more games. However, half of his games were played in defence, some of which were by far the best a CHB has ever played.

jeemak
15-03-2018, 03:04 AM
What type of player has 25 kicks, 3 handballs and 12 marks at 82% playing KPP or roving, and then does what he does off the left in the dying minutes?

Why isn't this remembered as the best game ever played...........?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdNXJyq8TuE

I'll tell you, it's because he is the most underrated player of all time.

craigsahibee
15-03-2018, 10:02 AM
What type of player has 25 kicks, 3 handballs and 12 marks at 82% playing KPP or roving, and then does what he does off the left in the dying minutes?

Why isn't this remembered as the best game ever played...........?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdNXJyq8TuE

I'll tell you, it's because he is the most underrated player of all time.

Nothing miraculous about this goal. This was bread and butter for Chris. Just part of his repertoire.

Still get goosebumps everytime I see it.

Just a GREAT man.

bornadog
15-03-2018, 10:15 AM
Nothing miraculous about this goal. This was bread and butter for Chris. Just part of his repertoire.

Still get goosebumps everytime I see it.

Just a GREAT man.

One of my favourite home & Away matches, so glad I was there.

Axe Man
15-03-2018, 10:31 AM
Chris Grant is probably the most underrated footballer ever to play the game.

Since EJ there has not been a player who could easily dominate a game from either CHF or CHB. Since well before Chris, there hasn't been a KPP to finish second in a Brownlow, or first in a Brownlow from two of the major half positions, and there won't be another one.

The guy was an absolute freak who had the entire media against him because of the King Carey and James Hird fandom that was all to prevalent during the 90's.

The guy kicked 2/3's of the goals Carey did, but played sixty more games. However, half of his games were played in defence, some of which were by far the best a CHB has ever played.

I could handle the rating of Carey above Grant but what always annoyed me at the time was Glen Jakovich always being considered the best CHB. Jakovich was a great player but Grant was far superior to that meathead.

jeemak
15-03-2018, 10:53 AM
I could handle the rating of Carey above Grant but what always annoyed me at the time was Glen Jakovich always being considered the best CHB. Jakovich was a great player but Grant was far superior to that meathead.

I agree, no issue with Carey being rated higher, but if Chris played his entire career at CHB he’d be the best CHB to play the game in the modern era.

Twodogs
15-03-2018, 11:33 AM
Yep, I can come at Carey being the better player but no-one else came close to the unique skill set and the unique person that Chris Grant is. I couldn't see Carey being the football manager in a premiership team.