PDA

View Full Version : Jordan Roughead in 2016

bulldogtragic
13-09-2015, 01:10 AM
He played pretty much every position this year. I don't think it did him all that much not getting consistent in one position. Got to say, I'd love to have the coaches work out exactly what his best role is and give him an entire preseason and playing season to excel at the position/role. I'd love to know just what that is.

The Bulldogs Bite
13-09-2015, 01:17 AM
My concern is:

- Too slow for a key defender. He can only play on Tippet, Hawkins and Jenkins. Maybe a couple others - but it's very limited.

- Not durable for ruck and not good enough either. At this stage.

Remi Moses
13-09-2015, 01:27 AM
Starting to resemble Tom Williams for lack of durability
Like to see him get a decent run at it.
Can play on the gorillas, but not mobile enough to play on all big forwards

BulldogBelle
13-09-2015, 05:04 PM
He was recruited to the club as a ruckman and I think that's his best position. He's played down back out of necessity, and I doubt he ever would have went back there if we had other key backs to do the job. He's a good tap ruck at the bounce and gets around the ground, which Bevo seems to place more importance on.

soupman
13-09-2015, 05:13 PM
I'm the opposite Hoopsnake. As a ruck he has only occasionally looked competent, for the most part struggling to impact ruck contests or have an impact around the ground. He gets praise for limiting the influence of his opponent, but really that shouldn't be what we are judging him on if we are assessing whether he could be our number 1 ruck. On top of this his body clearly cannot with stand the demands of the position. I think he'll be an ok backup or second option should we need to change matchups up as we did against Sydney, but I just don't see him being the ruckman to take us forward.

The only position he has shown an ability to play consistently well in (and even then its only a small sample size) has been as a key defender. Again he is limited physically, mainly through speed and agility but with our zone style of defence he should be ok and his ability to intercept mark makes him a viable option down there. He is also big enough to play on the big guys Roberts and Talia are too small for (Hawkins/Walker etc.) although come up short in other areas.

We need to give him a spot to settle in and concentrate on without being thrown through different roles continuously. I think key defender is his best bet.

Torpedo
14-09-2015, 08:46 AM
My concern is:

- Too slow for a key defender. He can only play on Tippet, Hawkins and Jenkins. Maybe a couple others - but it's very limited.

- Not durable for ruck and not good enough either. At this stage.

And they are who we have to counter in September.

soupman
14-09-2015, 08:50 AM
Besides is Carlisle (who is meant to be the exact type we need) that different from Roughead?

Tall, strong, an excellent overhead mark and not particularly quick. My only concern with Roughead is his ability to go with them on the lead, which has also been Roberts weakness and with our zone defence shouldn't be too huge a problem.

lemmon
14-09-2015, 09:06 AM
We can't play Roberts and Roughy in the same backline and Roughy has done nothing to depose Roberts as the incumbent full back. If it's a choice between the two, Roughy probably begins 2016 in the VFL

Mantis
14-09-2015, 10:39 AM
Huge pre-season coming up for Jordan.. Coming off a shoulder reco. at the end of 2014 I doubt that we would have got much strength work into his upper body over the past pre-season which he desperately needs if he is going to compete as a ruck over the course of a season.

What we do over the FA/ trade period will be extremely interesting, but if we can't/don't secure a ruck then we should be tailoring Jordan's program to fulfil this role.

stefoid
14-09-2015, 05:14 PM
ruck.

bulldogtragic
23-09-2015, 12:54 AM
This is starting to get real now.

Ayce is gone and if Minno goes it's Campbell and that's it - if Roughy is a defender.
Talia is looking gone. Morris & Zaine aren't probably equipped to take on really big blokes. So that leaves Roberts and Hamling - if Roughy is a ruckman.

Bevo and J. Macca have some pressure working out where he plays and then whether to trade or draft for the cover. Vital decision this one I think for the years ahead.

F'scary
23-09-2015, 08:32 PM
This is starting to get real now.

Ayce is gone and if Minno goes it's Campbell and that's it - if Roughy is a defender.
Talia is looking gone. Morris & Zaine aren't probably equipped to take on really big blokes. So that leaves Roberts and Hamling - if Roughy is a ruckman.

Bevo and J. Macca have some pressure working out where he plays and then whether to trade or draft for the cover. Vital decision this one I think for the years ahead.

Good observation. I actually think between the three we can cover the ruck and the gorilla defender roles if there are no injuries. To cover injury possibilities we probably need a replacement for positions Talia plays and another ruckman.

bornadog
06-10-2015, 04:03 PM
Listening to Jason Macca today, Roughead will be training to play a ruck role for 2016.

To me it is now official that Brendan Macca's experiment to get rid of Lake and replace him with Jordon Roughead is officially a big Fail.

The Doctor
06-10-2015, 04:11 PM
Listening to Jason Macca today, Roughead will be training to play a ruck role for 2016.

Good, because he's the best ruckman at the club.

Last season he trained mainly as a key defender according to J-Mac. If he does train as a ruckman this pre-season I would expect to see a vastly improved player. I just hope he can find the durability so he can get a decent run at it.

Greystache
06-10-2015, 04:13 PM

To me it is now official that Brendan Macca's experiment to get rid of Lake and replace him with Jordon Roughead is officially a big Fail.

What's the point of continually banging this drum? We get it you hated BMac and will criticize everything he ever did.

Roughead hasn't played any consistently good football in his AFL career other than in defence. Will Bevo's attempt to turn him into a ruckman officially be a fail if he ends back in defence???

bornadog
06-10-2015, 04:35 PM
What's the point of continually banging this drum? We get it you hated BMac and will criticize everything he ever did.

Roughead hasn't played any consistently good football in his AFL career other than in defence. Will Bevo's attempt to turn him into a ruckman officially be a fail if he ends back in defence???

If playing fullback was a success then we wouldn't be worried about filling that role.

Nuggety Back Pocket
06-10-2015, 04:48 PM
Roughead appears to be best suited to a ruck man change forward. Has a good spring to compete at centre bounces but lacks the physical presence to compete strongly at ball ups and boundary throw ins. Takes a good high mark, which isn't one of our strengths in attack and around the ground.

LostDoggy
06-10-2015, 04:49 PM
I don't think Roughy as a full-time Ruckman in 2013-14 was a serious option anyway. Really doubt his body was up to it.

Greystache
06-10-2015, 04:49 PM
If playing fullback was a success then we wouldn't be worried about filling that role.

Unfortunately our recruiting during the previous regime was so poor we have many holes to fill. We are short on ruckmen, key defenders, and key forwards. Roughead moving into the ruck is just plugging a gap and opening one somewhere else.

Ozza
06-10-2015, 04:57 PM

Agree. Its just petty and boring. Particularly the Lake angle - where some believe we should be expected to move heaven and earth to retain a player who in his last 2 seasons didn't want to be at the club, and displayed his disdain for playing there by failing to apply himself to rehab and training, and drinking mid week.

bornadog
06-10-2015, 05:06 PM
Agree. Its just petty and boring. Particularly the Lake angle - where some believe we should be expected to move heaven and earth to retain a player who in his last 2 seasons didn't want to be at the club, and displayed his disdain for playing there by failing to apply himself to rehab and training, and drinking mid week.

How about an opinion on whether the experiment worked or not. :rolleyes:

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
06-10-2015, 05:13 PM
Really want him to get his body right a fit Roughie who can last the season out would be great

Sedat
06-10-2015, 05:21 PM
He gets praise for limiting the influence of his opponent, but really that shouldn't be what we are judging him on if we are assessing whether he could be our number 1 ruck.
That's what McEvoy and Hale just did on Saturday.

For mine, he needs to make #1 ruck all his next season and that means the biggest pre-season of his life. We are down to 90 rotations next season so his forward craft also needs to be worked on. And on occasions he can even do a quick stint down back on the gorillas if one of them is getting off the chain.

Roughy as our permanent FB moving forward doesn't excite me much at all - not enough suitable match-ups in the modern game. Glad we played him there as it has rounded his overall game, and he showed some nous there when matched up on the right player. But #1 ruck is his bag and theoretically his body should now be able to stand the rigours of the position.

The tandem of Roughy and Boyd is my preferred ruck set-up for next season, with Roughy doing 80% of the ruck work.

Mofra
06-10-2015, 05:57 PM
The tandem of Roughy and Boyd is my preferred ruck set-up for next season, with Roughy doing 80% of the ruck work.
Roughy was noted as a natural tap ruckman when he was drafted and certainly seems to be mobile and disciplined enough to suit the Bevo style of game, but can he elevate himself enough to be a week in, week out proposition?

Our ruck stocks see to be "possibles" at the moment, no "probables"

Sedat
06-10-2015, 06:15 PM
Roughy was noted as a natural tap ruckman when he was drafted and certainly seems to be mobile and disciplined enough to suit the Bevo style of game, but can he elevate himself enough to be a week in, week out proposition?

That's the million dollar question right there. He simply needs to become more durable otherwise he will have a limited future AFL career.

I like this combo because they can get dangerous elsewhere on the ground. McEvoy and Hale both drifted forward and gave NicNat plenty to think about on Saturday - McEvoy even snagged a goal when matched up on Sheed for a minute. Can see Roughy doing this naturally next season, Campbell to a lesser extent and Minno (his 2008 breakout year as a key forward notwithstanding :)) virtually no chance to do this. The added bonus of Roughy being well-schooled as a key defender in recent seasons is that he'll know much better what the defenders will try and do when he's up forward and he'll be able to be one step ahead of them.

I was horrified by the thought of Boyd doing minutes in the ruck early this season but it is an absolute necessity (even a twig like Darcy Moore had to do some ruck minutes this season). Boydy was pretty good at it too.

Greystache
06-10-2015, 06:26 PM
That's the million dollar question right there. He simply needs to become more durable otherwise he will have a limited future AFL career.

I like this combo because they can get dangerous elsewhere on the ground. McEvoy and Hale both drifted forward and gave NicNat plenty to think about on Saturday - McEvoy even snagged a goal when matched up on Sheed for a minute. Can see Roughy doing this naturally next season, Campbell to a lesser extent and Minno (his 2008 breakout year as a key forward notwithstanding :)) virtually no chance to do this. The added bonus of Roughy being well-schooled as a key defender in recent seasons is that he'll know much better what the defenders will try and do when he's up forward and he'll be able to be one step ahead of them.

I was horrified by the thought of Boyd doing minutes in the ruck early this season but it is an absolute necessity (even a twig like Darcy Moore had to do some ruck minutes this season). Boydy was pretty good at it too.

What makes you say Roughead can have an impact forward? Especially more so than Campbell, or even Minson? Roughead's best return in a season for his career is 4 goals, despite having regularly done stints as a forward, and I would generously describe him as looking pretty lost. I would have Campbell comfortably ahead of Roughy, and probably Minson just edging him out as well, given he can get to where the ball's going just can't manage to get a hand on it. I can barely remember Roughead even producing a contest.

That's not to say he won't have an impact as a forward, but he'd have to contradict everything he's shown in his 6 seasons to date if he were.

Sedat
06-10-2015, 06:58 PM
What makes you say Roughead can have an impact forward? Especially more so than Campbell, or even Minson? Roughead's best return in a season for his career is 4 goals, despite having regularly done stints as a forward, and I would generously describe him as looking pretty lost. I would have Campbell comfortably ahead of Roughy, and probably Minson just edging him out as well, given he can get to where the ball's going just can't manage to get a hand on it. I can barely remember Roughead even producing a contest.

That's not to say he won't have an impact as a forward, but he'd have to contradict everything he's shown in his 6 seasons to date if he were.
My expectations of Roughead are predicated on him being 100% healthy and the fittest he's ever been. My early recollections of Roughy were that, prior to his shoulder issues, he could regularly pluck a strong grab up forward. I would say a combination of shoulder injuries, lack of training continuity, and a more pressing need to fill the key defensive post have conspired against Roughy's key forward ambitions in recent seasons.

He won't be the next incarnation of Carey but I can see him spending occasional minutes up forward and providing mis-match headaches for the opposition.

GVGjr
06-10-2015, 07:45 PM

Great question, he has struggled for continuity on being able to play regularly and I hope we are confident that he is up to handling the contact ruckman must be able to withstand.

At times he's looked good in the ruck but he's also disappointed. At least he will have a preseason focused on being physically ready.

LostDoggy
06-10-2015, 08:32 PM
Id love to see him bring some grunt to his game, have a physical presence around the contests.

Bulldog4life
06-10-2015, 09:19 PM
Playing ruck/forward lets hope Roughy can improve his goalkicking too

bornadog
23-05-2016, 03:04 PM
Anyone else concerned with Roughead's output this season. I don't think he has been that good in the ruck, although he hasn't been too bad around the ground.

2016 Games Log for Jordan Roughead (Western Bulldogs)

Description
Date
Opponent
Result
K
HB
D
M
G
B
T
HO
GA
I50
FF
FA
AF
SC

Round 9
22nd May
GWS (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/th-greater-western-sydney-giants)
Loss 73-98 (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=6251)

Round 8
15th May
Melbourne (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/th-melbourne-demons)
Win 114-82 (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=6242)

Round 7
7th May
Adelaide (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/th-adelaide-crows)
Win 123-108 (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=6231)

Round 6
29th Apr
North Melbourne (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/th-kangaroos)
Loss 45-61 (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=6217)

Round 5
23rd Apr
Brisbane (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/th-brisbane-lions)
Win 120-67 (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=6211)

Round 4
16th Apr
Carlton (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/th-carlton-blues)
Win 85-49 (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=6203)

Round 3
10th Apr
Hawthorn (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/th-hawthorn-hawks)
Loss 90-93 (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=6197)

Round 2
2nd Apr
St Kilda (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/th-st-kilda-saints)
Win 93-36 (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=6185)

Round 1
27th Mar
Fremantle (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/th-fremantle-dockers)
Win 103-38 (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_match_statistics?mid=6177)

Sedat
23-05-2016, 03:08 PM
I reckon the tandem of Roughy and Campbell (and Boyd before that) has worked as well as could be expected. No ruckman has taken us to the cleaners as yet - indeed we have successfully nullified some of the best ruckmen in the comp this season already.

There was the small issue of his cousins cancer diagnosis last week - if Hawthorn players get a leave pass for their performance this weekend (rightly so too), I'd have thought Jordan deserves one as well (not that he was awful yesterday).

Mofra
23-05-2016, 03:27 PM
I'm worried that both Roughy & BTC are first rucks and can't play much of a second ruck role effectively.
BTC has overtaken Roughy for mine and if we had BTC, Roughy, Redpath & Boyd all firing, I'd actually look to drop Roughy fromt he lot as BTC can take the bulk of the ruckwork with Tom Boyd taking the second role, while leaving Redpath 100% in the forwardline where he has been effective.

hujsh
23-05-2016, 04:50 PM
I'm worried that both Roughy & BTC are first rucks and can't play much of a second ruck role effectively.
BTC has overtaken Roughy for mine and if we had BTC, Roughy, Redpath & Boyd all firing, I'd actually look to drop Roughy fromt he lot as BTC can take the bulk of the ruckwork with Tom Boyd taking the second role, while leaving Redpath 100% in the forwardline where he has been effective.

It feels like BTC is also more likely to see out a game, preventing the scenario where we throw Boyd to the wolves

The Bulldogs Bite
23-05-2016, 11:34 PM

This is what I hope we trial when Boyd is fit.

Roughead has been OK this season but as a ruck you need to be able to play forward and he can't.

Throughandthrough
23-05-2016, 11:37 PM
Without analysing any stats, i have been very disappointed with his form this year. I'm guessing that as soon as Boyd is fit again he'd be a straight swap for Roughy.

lemmon
24-05-2016, 12:26 AM
He's a first ruck and unfortunately for him we have a better one in Campbell. I think his form has been okay particularly early but I don't think the Cambell/Rough combo is sustainable with both incapable of producing anything up forward.

Agree with some previous calls that when fit Boyd comes in, Rough out and we see how much of the load Campbell can shoulder. He is apparenly ultra fit, if he can ruck 80% of the game it makes us far more flexible

boydogs
24-05-2016, 01:34 AM
I think Roughead is playing as a ruckman tagger and is why Gawn, Goldstein, Martin & Jacobs have all been shutdown. You can't judge that on his stats, only the stats of his opponent

bornadog
24-05-2016, 10:10 AM
I think Roughead is playing as a ruckman tagger and is why Gawn, Goldstein, Martin & Jacobs have all been shutdown. You can't judge that on his stats, only the stats of his opponent

I think you may a good point here, and that is the reason we haven't seen him much in the forward line when we didn't have TBoyd or Redpath playing.

bornadog
19-09-2016, 06:41 PM
How good has Roughie been in the first two finals. Kicked a couple of goals as well.

bulldogtragic
19-09-2016, 07:16 PM
How good has Roughie been in the first two finals. Kicked a couple of goals as well.

He's certainly showing he's an excellently better ruckman than any other position. Great reward for his effort and towards two great finals wins.

josie
19-09-2016, 07:28 PM
Roughy's marking and goal kicking and presence are much improved in last few weeks - he is a very valuable and reliable player. He is growing in confidence and against Hawks I thought he was best big man on the ground and in our top 6 or so players. I also love the romance of him barracking for dogs as a child. Plus he is such a committed chap doing volunteer work with homeless, helping out with women's team, studying business and becoming a really good player to boot. Saw him at VFL game on Sunday and was able to tell him what a great game he played and got a lovely smile in return.

Dancin' Douggy
19-09-2016, 08:56 PM
Yep. Like so many he has risen to the occasion and blossomed in the finals

always right
19-09-2016, 09:30 PM
Whilst his form has been great lately his marking has been a feature all season. Can't get over how much this part of his game has improved.

Ghost Dog
19-09-2016, 10:46 PM
Moving very freely, loved the CD to Roughy goal in Perth. Similar clearing kick V Hawthorn. All players getting around him, great signs.

Bulldog Joe
19-09-2016, 10:48 PM
I loved the nice block on McEvoy provided by The Bont in the q3 of the semi. Jordan did the right thing and slotted the goal.

strebla
20-09-2016, 01:28 AM
I just love everyone but gee he loves the supporters and let's them know more than any player I can remember.

Ozza
20-09-2016, 09:50 AM
I just love everyone but gee he loves the supporters and let's them know more than any player I can remember.

That's true. Always notice at home games, he is the one player who always looks up and acknowledges us on Level 2!

craigsahibee
20-09-2016, 12:22 PM
That's true. Always notice at home games, he is the one player who always looks up and acknowledges us on Level 2!

Pretty much did a lap of the entire ground on Friday Night high fiving everyone along the fence. Rough genuinely loves the club, and I for one love Roughy for that reason and the fact that he played his early years as a defender, which he was not accustomed too, in the interests of the team ahead of himself, and I might add, often played hurt. Rough is one of the good guys and is embarking on a period of his career where he is capable of dominating.

Cyberdoggie
20-09-2016, 12:25 PM

He's a genuine top bloke, just look at all the work he does with coaching womens football and mentor programs in his own time, while also studying a degree.

Also a bulldogs supporter before being drafted.

LostDoggy
20-09-2016, 10:51 PM
Pretty much did a lap of the entire ground on Friday Night high fiving everyone along the fence. Rough genuinely loves the club, and I for one love Roughy for that reason and the fact that he played his early years as a defender, which he was not accustomed too, in the interests of the team ahead of himself, and I might add, often played hurt. Rough is one of the good guys and is embarking on a period of his career where he is capable of dominating.

Love it

angelopetraglia
20-09-2016, 10:52 PM
Fantastic role model for the club.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
21-09-2016, 02:40 PM
He has improved so much his marking is so reliable now

LostDoggy
22-09-2016, 01:00 AM
Maaaan, Roughy was my scapegoat for years but I am happier than anyone to see him excel and prove me wrong!

Love that he grew up a doggies supporter too. It means he knows what we've gone through with the club and he just gets it. Maybe thats why he's so lovely to us.

bornadog
22-09-2016, 09:43 AM
Maaaan, Roughy was my scapegoat for years but I am happier than anyone to see him excel and prove me wrong!

Love that he grew up a doggies supporter too. It means he knows what we've gone through with the club and he just gets it. Maybe thats why he's so lovely to us.

I think all the Rougheads were Doggies supporters.