PDA

View Full Version : Perspective on yesterday

Ghost Dog
13-09-2015, 10:29 AM
One way to think about this loss is 'tightening our grip'. We might look back on yesterday in 5 years time as the loss that gave us the opportunity for an early pre-season and spurned us with renewed determination.

It's great to be positive, but the fact is, so hard to win the GF out of the top 4. We didn't dominate the competition enough to win that extra chance or a break, and losses to lesser lights, like Melbourne and the smashing in Tasmania highlight that.

The trick is to back up this season with another good one and keep our momentum and faith.

The trend is upward. It's not like previous years when you felt we spent all our gas tickets and had to rebuild the next season. These boys will come out bigger, stronger and better for it.

At the start of the season, if just about any of us were offered a season where we win almost all our games, make first round finals but lose, we would have all taken it. Personally, I predicted we would come second last. MJP was about the only one who said we would be on the cusp of finals.

GVGjr
13-09-2015, 10:39 AM
Very well said GD, I'm as guilty as anyone for thinking that year was supposed to be about developing the young players more than results. The fact that we did that and still contended is something we should remember. We shouldn't just simply accept the loss but we also need to acknowledge we made significant progress.

1eyedog
13-09-2015, 10:56 AM
One way to think about this loss is 'tightening our grip'. We might look back on yesterday in 5 years time as the loss that gave us the opportunity for an early pre-season and spurned us with renewed determination.

It's great to be positive, but the fact is, so hard to win the GF out of the top 4. We didn't dominate the competition enough to win that extra chance or a break, and losses to lesser lights, like Melbourne and the smashing in Tasmania highlight that.

The trick is to back up this season with another good one and keep our momentum and faith.

The trend is upward. It's not like previous years when you felt we spent all our gas tickets and had to rebuild the next season. These boys will come out bigger, stronger and better for it.

At the start of the season, if just about any of us were offered a season where we win almost all our games, make first round finals but lose, we would have all taken it. Personally, I predicted we would come second last. MJP was about the only one who said we would be on the cusp of finals.

I think there was about 8 of us who voted finals in the poll (I could be wrong), but credit where credits due :D

Good post. We do not want to become complacent and be the 2016 Port Adelaide. We need to draft astutely and as others have alluded to we need an accomplished ruck and a key back. We have proved we are an attractive team to watch and we should attract the interest of rival players so am looking forward to big games next year and another membership record.

We were good last night just couldn't ice it and don't underestimate the Crows, they came to play for Walsh. We were playing against a heap of emotion.

The bulldog tragician
13-09-2015, 11:13 AM
Of course improvement won't be automatic. But one thing that should drive continued progress is the competition for spots next year. JJ, Libber, a fiitter Tom Boyd and Koby would you'd think be certain inclusions in our best 22. Guys like Dale, McLean, Cordy of the Z variety, and Webb will be knocking the door down. blokes like Honeychurch and redpath will have to address deficiencies in their game to be selected each week.

Unlike other years where we've mainly hoped for the progress to come from an existing group, our week one finals side 2016 �� is likely to be very different but still young enough to be growing further and gelling together.That gives me a lot of hope.

Topdog
13-09-2015, 11:14 AM
On another positive the loss puts us in the 7-12 group for next seasons fixtures. Hard to think of positives at the moment though, still gutted. Proud but gutted.

Ghost Dog
13-09-2015, 11:27 AM
I think there was about 8 of us who voted finals in the poll (I could be wrong), but credit where credits due :D

Good post. We do not want to become complacent and be the 2016 Port Adelaide. We need to draft astutely and as others have alluded to we need an accomplished ruck and a key back. We have proved we are an attractive team to watch and we should attract the interest of rival players so am looking forward to big games next year and another membership record.

We were good last night just couldn't ice it and don't underestimate the Crows, they came to play for Walsh. We were playing against a heap of emotion.

Haha I was too lazy to go back and check. I did say 'about'. Credit to you 1eye!

On another positive the loss puts us in the 7-12 group for next seasons fixtures. Hard to think of positives at the moment though, still gutted. Proud but gutted.

Yes it really hurts. Maybe a reality check though. Not sure we are near West Coast yet.
Youngest team in the 8, yet didn't look daunted. Put Cassius, Libba back in, Kobe, JJ, lots of room for improvement.

AndrewP6
13-09-2015, 01:08 PM
I had us finishing 15th, it has been an incredible turnaround. Full credit to Bevo and the boys for driving the changes. I've been saying to people it is amazing to have been even thinking about finals the last month or so, from where we were at. So that's a huge positive, and leaves great hope.

Still, losing sucks. Losing to the Crows, when I'm sitting smack bang in the middle of them, sucks big time. I'm still gutted.

Ozza
13-09-2015, 01:21 PM
Although shattered about losing a very winnable final last night;
I went to the game thinking that if we put out a performance befitting of how we've played for the year (pressure, hunger, risk taking etc), put on a great show, and got beaten still - then I could be happy with the season. It was an incredible rise.
Bonti not kicking those goals, Macrae being well down in quarters 2 & 3, and Stringer not reaching his usual high standards- will burn in those guys in the off season. It was a hell of a ride and I'm very proud of the team we have.

Remi Moses
13-09-2015, 01:28 PM
I think Bulldog Joe had us winning 13 games.

AndrewP6
13-09-2015, 03:08 PM
Was starting to feel a bit better. Then I read the paper, now I feel crap again.

Bulldog4life
13-09-2015, 03:10 PM
Was starting to feel a bit better. Then I read the paper, now I feel crap again.

You know the rules Andrew after a loss no newspapers or footy shows

Eastdog
13-09-2015, 03:38 PM
Very well said GD. I'm disappointed to lose last night. We certainly rose to the occassion and if we had of taken our chances who knows.

Overall it's been a great year as many expected us to finish bottom four. Luke Beveridge and the coaching staff need to be commended on turning the ship around.

Will be back again next year hopefully to have another good season. Our youngsters will only get better.

Bulldog Joe
13-09-2015, 04:04 PM
I think Bulldog Joe had us winning 13 games.

Yes. That was my prediction.

I take no solace from that as I feel we blew an enormous chance and it was the set shots that cost us.

I am also sick of saying there is always next year, because for some there will not be.

Struggling to get over the result and I really want no-one to win it now.

G-Mo77
13-09-2015, 04:09 PM
Yes. That was my prediction.

I take no solace from that as I feel we blew an enormous chance and it was the set shots that cost us.

I am also sick of saying there is always next year, because for some there will not be.

Struggling to get over the result and I really want no-one to win it now.

Similar to me BJ. Good opportunities don't come around to often and it was one we lost. Yes we're young and yes we should improve but it's still a missed opurtunity no matter which way you paint it.

Remi Moses
13-09-2015, 04:17 PM
The only skerick of positiveness out of that is the players have that sticking in their guts all pre-season.

Ghost Dog
13-09-2015, 04:43 PM
The only skerick of positiveness out of that is the players have that sticking in their guts all pre-season.

Yes they will be hurting I'm sure. But I would hate them to read this forum and think supporters feel that nothing positive came out of yesterday. We certainly never had a march to the G before. In our last finals campaigns, people hung a few balloons out in Footscray and ragged streamers. Nobody expected much of us and an air of futility hung over our campaign.

We now have finals experience. Hawks, Eagles, Geelong, they've all lost plenty of finals before jagging one. Maybe it's the pain you need.

FrediKanoute
13-09-2015, 06:16 PM
Yes they will be hurting I'm sure. But I would hate them to read this forum and think supporters feel that nothing positive came out of yesterday. We certainly never had a march to the G before. In our last finals campaigns, people hung a few balloons out in Footscray and ragged streamers. Nobody expected much of us and an air of futility hung over our campaign.

We now have finals experience. Hawks, Eagles, Geelong, they've all lost plenty of finals before jagging one. Maybe it's the pain you need.

I agree. You have to appreciate whatnots like to lose as a player before you can really appreciate what it is like to win. I don't want us just to win a Granny, but I want us to dominate five or six year of Granny's.....we have the group to do this with the right age profile.

The challenge over the off season is for the coaching staff to keep nurturing the drive. Keep setting that bar higher.

LostDoggy
14-09-2015, 09:52 AM
Trying to work out why I am so disappointed with the loss when I never dreamed we would be in the position we are this year. I have decided it's because I have never enjoyed a season more than this. Our game style has been so enjoyable and I always take special enjoyment from seeing our future stars in their very first game.
I'm so disappointed in our loss because I didn't want the season to end.

Ozza
14-09-2015, 10:13 AM
Now that we have had a good year, the inevitability is that expectations will rise to a point where unless we are routinely smashing sides next year, and winning plenty of games against the top sides - many supporters will be unsatisfied.

Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Of course - we'd all like to see the improvement carry over in a lineal fashion, and for the Dogs to be top 4 next year. The most basic, and seemingly logical of looks at next year will have most say; 'Well all the young players will get better, we'll get Libba and Stevens back - and we'll be a top 4 side'. Unfortunately there are no guarantees and so much can happen. I'm looking forward to the ride again though - but trying to temper my expectations....as its far more fun when we exceed them!

Mantis
14-09-2015, 10:33 AM
Now that we have had a good year, the inevitability is that expectations will rise to a point where unless we are routinely smashing sides next year, and winning plenty of games against the top sides - many supporters will be unsatisfied.

Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Of course - we'd all like to see the improvement carry over in a lineal fashion, and for the Dogs to be top 4 next year. The most basic, and seemingly logical of looks at next year will have most say; 'Well all the young players will get better, we'll get Libba and Stevens back - and we'll be a top 4 side'. Unfortunately there are no guarantees and so much can happen. I'm looking forward to the ride again though - but trying to temper my expectations....as its far more fun when we exceed them!

Good post.

Agree with the expectation call with the perfect example being Port.. It was almost a given that after running Haw so close in the 2014 PF that their continued improvement would make them a GF team, but teams changed the way they played them, they had injuries and a drop in performance of several key players and the result was there for all to see... You like to thaink that we won't be the same, but it's a ruthless game so we are going to have to continue to improve to hold & make ground.

But we do have that improvement within us and I'm sure that we will be doing all we can to come again.

1eyedog
14-09-2015, 10:44 AM
The full stop for me is that we are a bloody good side again and while disappointed I'll ride through the hope that we can attain even loftier heights next season. We are a finals side no doubnt about it and as others have said I believe we have the list and age profile to continue playing finals for many years to come and that is so exciting. I just hope we replicate the year and give Bob, Murph and Boydy a great send off.

jazzadogs
14-09-2015, 10:44 AM
Good post.

Agree with the expectation call with the perfect example being Port.. It was almost a given that after running Haw so close in the 2014 PF that their continued improvement would make them a GF team, but teams changed the way they played them, they had injuries and a drop in performance of several key players and the result was there for all to see... You like to thaink that we won't be the same, but it's a ruthless game so we are going to have to continue to improve to hold & make ground.

But we do have that improvement within us and I'm sure that we will be doing all we can to come again.

You could also cite Port finishing 5th in Hinkley's first year (2013), after the horror of Primus' reign, and then backing it up with a preliminary final berth the following year (2014).

F'scary
14-09-2015, 11:37 AM
We need to evolve our style of play a bit next season. Over the course of this season, we evolved into an all-out attack unit with not enough emphasis on defence and changing the tempo of the game when required.

Hopefully, a number of our players continue to develop next season, our older brigade keep on keeping on for another season and we acquire a few more players to keep the depth in the list.

Footscray's performance against Essendon indicated to me that time is up for about 6 of the AFL/rookie listed players.

Ozza
14-09-2015, 11:44 AM
We need to evolve our style of play a bit next season. Over the course of this season, we evolved into an all-out attack unit with not enough emphasis on defence and changing the tempo of the game when required.

Hopefully, a number of our players continue to develop next season, our older brigade keep on keeping on for another season and we acquire a few more players to keep the depth in the list.

Footscray's performance against Essendon indicated to me that time is up for about 6 of the AFL/rookie listed players.

I agree, that although its been fun to watch, we need to be stingier next year. We don't necessarily have to give up that much of our attacking flair - but we need to be able to play a range of tempo's rather than just full throttle, of completely slowing down.

bornadog
14-09-2015, 12:36 PM

The second half of the season we only lost a couple of games and we had one of the best defences in the AFL. What didn't help us were the injuries to the KPPs swapping in and out.

soupman
14-09-2015, 01:23 PM
I think next year we just aim to make the finals again and treat it as another building year.

I wouldn't be putting expectations of top 4 or for us to thump sides yet because:
-We still have an incredibly young list with many inexperienced players still finding their feet in key roles including pretty much all our key defenders, key forwards and certainly our rucks.
-Next year opposition clubs will have had a full pre-season to analyse and pick apart our gameplan and its weaknesses.
-Our draw will be harder, playing the mid tier clubs instead of the hopeless ones. This will mean it will be harder for us to cruise through with wins despite average form as we did in the middle of this year
-We could see one or more of the older guys drop off, which while not a disaster could impact us negatively.

Don't get me wrong I am very excited for next year but I don't want us to get ahead of ourselves when next year was probably the first year we were meant to even be in the mix for finals.

jazzadogs
14-09-2015, 05:45 PM
-We could see one or more of the older guys drop off, which while not a disaster could impact us negatively.

Don't get me wrong I am very excited for next year but I don't want us to get ahead of ourselves when next year was probably the first year we were meant to even be in the mix for finals.

Will only be negative if they get given games they don't deserve. We need to be planning for Boyd and Morris to only play about 16-18 matches each.

The Bulldogs Bite
14-09-2015, 06:02 PM
The second half of the season we only lost a couple of games and we had one of the best defences in the AFL. What didn't help us were the injuries to the KPPs swapping in and out.

Bit of false sense of security given some of the teams we played included Essendon, a woeful Port Adelaide and Melbourne.

F'scary
14-09-2015, 06:22 PM

Our last 3 games: North, Brisbane, Adelaide - each match was a shoot out. We went through a number of incarnations throughout the season, by the end we had evolved into a one speed only full-throttle, one-way all out attack team. We had a better balance possibly a few weeks before, I think we lost all defensiveness by the end of the season.

Mantis
14-09-2015, 06:26 PM
Bit of false sense of security given some of the teams we played included Essendon, a woeful Port Adelaide and Melbourne.

On the day or in general?

After the bye Port were 7-3, their losses were 10pts against Syd in Syd, 3pts in a showdown and a smacking by us (64pts).. So in general their form was pretty solid.

bornadog
14-09-2015, 06:29 PM

Our last 3 games: North, Brisbane, Adelaide - each match was a shoot out. We went through a number of incarnations throughout the season, by the end we had evolved into a one speed only full-throttle, one-way all out attack team. We had a better balance possibly a few weeks before, I think we lost all defensiveness by the end of the season.

We kept teams to around 70 points including North, Port (easy to say woeful, they just missed the 8) and most of the others we played except West Coast and Brisbane when we didn't take our best players, in fact we averaged less than 50 games.

LostDoggy
14-09-2015, 06:48 PM
The figures don't back up that our defence deteriorated over the course of the year. Pre-bye we conceded 14 or more goals 6 games from 10. After the bye, we conceded 14 or more goals 3 games from 13.

Our last few games included keeping a hot Port team to 9 goals and North to 10 goals.

The 3 games we conceded too much were the exception and will be an interesting analysis for our coaching group, some basic obervations;

- WCE at Perth (25 goals), a perfect storm of adverse factors, hot opposition, Perth, destroyed in the middle, key players go down through the match.
- Brisbane in Brisbane (19 goals), R23 a big factor with many players lacking usual intensity and avoiding contests. Murphy, Boyd, Morris also missing.
- Adelaide at MCG (16 goals), at key times defence let itself down by working too far forward and allowing defensive structures to break down, some credit must go to very efficient opposition forwards.

The obvious link these 3 games have is that they were away from Etihad.

F'scary
14-09-2015, 07:10 PM
The figures don't back up that our defence deteriorated over the course of the year. Pre-bye we conceded 14 or more goals 6 games from 10. After the bye, we conceded 14 or more goals 3 games from 13.

Our last few games included keeping a hot Port team to 9 goals and North to 10 goals.

The 3 games we conceded too much were the exception and will be an interesting analysis for our coaching group, some basic obervations;

- WCE at Perth (25 goals), a perfect storm of adverse factors, hot opposition, Perth, destroyed in the middle, key players go down through the match.
- Brisbane in Brisbane (19 goals), R23 a big factor with many players lacking usual intensity and avoiding contests. Murphy, Boyd, Morris also missing.
- Adelaide at MCG (16 goals), at key times defence let itself down by working too far forward and allowing defensive structures to break down, some credit must go to very efficient opposition forwards.

The obvious link these 3 games have is that they were away from Etihad.

I was using the word "evolved" not deteriorated. I think earlier in the season we kept more defenders back but used the most extreme forward surge and press with the remaining players. We discovered (StK game) that we could not sustain this. We eased off the extreme forward press with mixed results including a couple of win-ugly victories against Stk2 and Car. Then we started to increase the surge and press by playing defenders further up the ground. It is a real roll-the-dice style - everyone surges forward when we have the ball. We had good results with this, especially against some of the poorer performed teams but against other teams (including a fired up Brisbane) our system didn't hold.

Ghost Dog
14-09-2015, 07:51 PM
I think our game plan could have been adapted to the G.
Using the boundary Malthouse style a bit more?
The Romans defeated the celts, even when vastly outnumbered through being organised. Are we the celts of AFL?;)

chef
14-09-2015, 07:56 PM
Our game plan was fine, we just let ourselves down with our finishing. That was the only problem we had.

Remi Moses
14-09-2015, 08:14 PM
No doubt the game style is better suited to Etihad than anywhere else, and hence lies the challenge of being able to defend on other grounds . I noticed our mids struggled in the first half to work back defensively, hence we had one on ones and sometimes players loose inside 50.
The key backs are very inexperienced as well, and an inclusion of another key back would be handy . We worked back better defensively in the second half, and our inaccuracy cost us in the end .

1eyedog
15-09-2015, 12:27 AM
I think our game plan could have been adapted to the G.
Using the boundary Malthouse style a bit more?
The Romans defeated the celts, even when vastly outnumbered through being organised. Are we the celts of AFL?;)

No we're the Goths and 2016 is our 410 AD.

Ghost Dog
15-09-2015, 12:46 AM
No we're the Goths and 2016 is our 410 AD.

Death to the Romans! :D

The Bulldogs Bite
15-09-2015, 01:42 AM
On the day or in general?

After the bye Port were 7-3, their losses were 10pts against Syd in Syd, 3pts in a showdown and a smacking by us (64pts).. So in general their form was pretty solid.

Against us.

It was their worst performance of the year and Hinkley said it was the worst loss while he had been at the helm. They played better footy the weeks post us.

Whilst we did play well, we weren't met with any resistance. Ditto the Dons and Dees games.